Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,291 members, 7,780,680 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:22 PM

Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) (59272 Views)

The Top Ten Tallest Buildings In Nigeria 2015 / Celebrating World Tourism Day 2015 - My Beautiful Nigeria (pictures Included) / Donald Duke: The "Mr.Tourism" Of Nigeria. (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by blackweaver(m): 4:49am On Sep 08, 2014
timilehing: Hmmmm booked. lemme now comnent

A Skyscraper without glass exterior?? The glass exterior is what made them skyscrapers not height

These buildings are no skyscrapers, they are just tall building/towers.

you know, i did a google search to verify your comment, and the first few results I checked said it was about height, and while Wikipedia talked about glass exterior, it wasn't stated as a criteria for being termed a skyscraper. Maybe you're an architect and have a different definition, but for those of us non-architects, i think we'll stick with general non architectural dictionary definitions

1 Like

Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by Nobody: 5:24am On Sep 08, 2014
OK.sw things
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by timilehing(m): 6:39am On Sep 08, 2014
blackweaver:

you know, i did a google search to verify your comment, and the first few results I checked said it was about height, and while Wikipedia talked about glass exterior, it wasn't stated as a criteria for being termed a skyscraper. Maybe you're an architect and have a different definition, but for those of us non-architects, i think we'll stick with general non architectural dictionary definitions
I did a Google search to verify your comment too & the few I checked says that
High-rise buildings are considered shorter than
skyscrapers. There is no clear
definition of any difference between a tower
block and a skyscraper though a building lower
than about thirty stories is not likely to be a
skyscraper and a building with fifty or more
stories is certainly a skyscraper.
What we have here are Towers cos none of those buildings reached the 30-storey limit

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyscraper
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by dom(m): 7:00am On Sep 08, 2014
you'd notice that most of the buildings arent in abuja. Thats cos there's a policy to limit floors to 11 in the fct. There's one or two exceptions though.
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 08, 2014
Why is UBA house and sterling towers not in the list and by the way, Intercontinental hotel in Kofo Abayomi is taller than Cocoa house
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by Chigold101(m): 8:46am On Sep 08, 2014
iamord:

Yeah although there are several definitions to it

The optiumum size for a
skyscraper is between 50 and 60 stories

https://www.wordnik.com/words/skyscraper

High-rise buildings are considered shorter than skyscrapers.[citation needed] There is no clear definition of any difference between a tower block and a skyscraper though a building lower than about thirty stories is not likely to be a skyscraper and a building with fifty or more stories is certainly a skyscraper.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyscraper

skyscraper, very tall,
multistoried building. The
name first came into use
during the 1880s, shortly after
the first skyscrapers were
built, in the United States. The
development of skyscrapers
came as a result of the
coincidence of several
technological and social developments.
The term skyscraper originally applied to
buildings of 10 to 20 stories,
but by the
late 20th century the term was used to
describe high-rise buildings of unusual
height, generally greater than 40 or 50
stories.

global.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/547956/skyscraper

buildings of 10 to 20 stories... why did it change from this and become... The optiumum size for a
skyscraper is between 50 and 60 stories...
what made it to change? sometimes it is funny sha.
if the person that "invented" the name did that for 10 story building, i dont see how and why we wont call our high rising buildings here in Nigeria skyscraper.
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by iamord(m): 9:48am On Sep 08, 2014
Chigold101:
buildings of 10 to 20 stories... why did it change from this and become... The optiumum size for a
if the person that "invented" the name did that for 10 story building, i dont see how and why we wont call our high rising buildings here in Nigeria skyscraper.

Well if you read the continuation “but by the
late 20th century the term was used to
describe high-rise buildings of unusual
height, generally greater than 40 or 50
stories.” It throws more light on that. Laws can always be modified. In those days the buildings were usually a storey or two 10 - 20 stories would definitel be considered to be skyscraper.. But in this present era where u have the Burj Khalifa, of 163 stories , world trade center of 104.. Definitely those in the 20 storey don't deserve to be skyscrapers.. They are mid high rise..
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by iamord(m): 9:51am On Sep 08, 2014
dom: you'd notice that most of the buildings arent in abuja. Thats cos there's a policy to limit floors to 11 in the fct. There's one or two exceptions though.

To me that's okay considering its the capital..commercial Activities can go on but must not take over like how it is in lagos cos its the seat of power.. But lagos has to set limit on height zoning to increase competition.. Let's say nothing less than 30 floors from now on on the island . Thay will be a game changer and also lagos is a very crowded and rowdy city. There is need to develop open spaces.. Multi storey car parks . Resting spots @ the marina . Wide pavements and monorail.. Infused with greenery and expression of the lagos traditional culture .. Nobody wants to come to lagos to see new york.. Be unique.. When u see new york, dubai and hong kong u see they are filled with skyscrapers but u can tell which country they are in cos of the architecture theme.. Lagos needs to concentrate seriously on urban planning
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by Junior21: 1:41pm On Sep 08, 2014
Wu knows ILE-NLA@iyana era.... Lwtmb
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by blackweaver(m): 6:26pm On Sep 08, 2014
Chigold101:

Although i don't have any source to verify, I think the change came about because of the relative height of the buildings to other buildings, e.g. when the term skyscraper was coined those buildings were the tallest that could be found in the area. However since then there have been so many more buildings taller than that height that it makes no sense to continue calling 10-storey buildings skyscrapers. If in the near future 30-40% of tall buildings are over 100 stories for example, there won't be any point calling a 60-storey building a skyscraper.

ok from the definition in Wikipedia A relatively small building may be considered a skyscraper if it protrudes well above its built environment and changes the overall skyline.

In that note we CAN call those buildings skyscrapers since they are the tallest buildings and change the skyline.

Even Wikipedia lists these buildings as skyscrapers (search List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Nigeria)

of course in more developed countries these buildings would not qualify as skyscrapers but locally i think the term still applies
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by teammy(m): 7:47pm On Sep 08, 2014
Without New CBN Lagos (120 mtrs), your list is incorrect.
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by musiwa94: 5:05am On Sep 09, 2014
ss
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by agangadiman(m): 2:01pm On Sep 09, 2014
Skyscraper ko, spacestation ni.

and with all this skyscraper (thats really just a high rise building, not scraping no sky tbh), NONE of them run on an interrupted power supply.

priorities man. its like spending lots of money on electric cars................to run on nepa, nec or wateveer useless name that its been renamed to.

i remember being in the bank one in marina and in the lift there was a power cut... we were stuck there for a few minutes but i was so scared. i have heard rumors of people being stuck for hours.

if they cant get a proper power grid up and running they should completeley abandon the thought of any sky scraper.

1 Like

Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by iamord(m): 4:20pm On Sep 09, 2014
agangadiman: Skyscraper ko, spacestation ni.

and with all this skyscraper (thats really just a high rise building, not scraping no sky tbh), NONE of them run on an interrupted power supply.

priorities man. its like spending lots of money on electric cars................to run on nepa, nec or wateveer useless name that its been renamed to.

i remember being in the bank one in marina and in the lift there was a power cut... we were stuck there for a few minutes but i was so scared. i have heard rumors of people being stuck for hours.

if they cant get a proper power grid up and running they should completeley abandon the thought of any sky scraper.

Fire service nko??
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by musiwa94: 12:24am On Sep 10, 2014
x
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by SenatorJames(m): 8:20am On Sep 11, 2014
at least we try, even though we may not have anyone among 100 tallest in the world.

wait a minute, hope its not oyinbo still build all these our skyscrapper?
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by dblock(m): 5:30pm On Nov 16, 2014
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by iamord(m): 5:31pm On Nov 16, 2014
dblock:
Interesting Diagram

and more in the website

http://www.blackborderbuild.com/property-blog/what-will-be-nigerias-tallest-building

Nice one bro. Africa is racing to the top
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by iamord(m): 5:38pm On Nov 16, 2014
dblock:
Interesting Diagram

and more in the website

http://www.blackborderbuild.com/property-blog/what-will-be-nigerias-tallest-building

Nice one bro. Africa is racing to the top ghanas hope city is going to be taller than carlton center.. Although symbio city is coming up. what about the stratosphere. Its supposed to be on the list
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by Bifwoli: 12:46am On Nov 17, 2014
Big fancy buildings without quality supporting infrastructure like quality roads,working city services like street cleanup,reliable running water and electricity is just like putting makeup on a monkey.

Why can't you Africans invest in productive things like factories,enhanced agri-business,local production of manufactured goods which make up 90% of African imports and other sectors instead? I bet you most of the fixtures like faucets,electric parts,carpet,and most furnishings for such fancy buildings WILL BE IMPORTED STUFF.
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by iamord(m): 5:52am On Nov 17, 2014
Bifwoli:
Big fancy buildings without quality supporting infrastructure like quality roads,working city services like street cleanup,reliable running water and electricity is just like putting makeup on a monkey.

Why can't you Africans invest in productive things like factories,enhanced agri-business,local production of manufactured goods which make up 90% of African imports and other sectors instead? I bet you most of the fixtures like faucets,electric parts,carpet,and most furnishings for such fancy buildings WILL BE IMPORTED STUFF.

I know the government is Not doing Enough. But it does not mean that hands are not on Deck in other sectors. besides all this projects are 100 percent private. Nigeria is a middle income country and lagos is the financial capital. Its long overdue to have such and even better. A. Lot of private partnership is needed cos the govt can't do it alone. Instead of you complaining,why don't you see it as an opportunity to Close the loopholes in the sector by providing innovative services.
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by dblock(m): 7:51pm On Nov 18, 2014
iamord:

Nice one bro. Africa is racing to the top ghanas hope city is going to be taller than carlton center.. Although symbio city is coming up. what about the stratosphere. Its supposed to be on the list

Stratosphere is history. Right now the focus for Nigeria's tallest are the WTC in Abuja and buildings in Eko Atlantic. Already confirmed for Eko Atlantic are some buildings between 100-130 Metres, that is already confirmed. Buildings along the Marina District, some of the Eko Pearl Towers etc.

Of course even taller, we should expect are buildings in the financial centre such as the Eko Gate, which could be between 100-200 metres or maybe even more....who knows.

But the focus should be on Eko Atlantic City. Right now the project is not even in full steam. 2015 and 2016 should be a lot more interesting.

Be sure to read through my blog...I will be covering a thing or two there http://www.blackborderbuild.com/property-blog/

1 Like

Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by Born2Breed(f): 5:05am On Jun 29, 2018
No UBA building?
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by Ttipsy(f): 9:51am On Jun 29, 2018
empty building
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by 4ckyou: 3:40pm On Mar 26, 2022
gbenga4sure:
If the next governor after fashola didnt abandon or stop the eko atlantic city project(becoz the pdp are saying they dont like the project,saying its a risk.)then lagos(eko atlantic city will be home to higher skyscrappers.)

your prediction have come to pass

1 Like

Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 8:57am On Mar 27, 2022
4ckyou:

your prediction have come to pass
Yes o, thanks boss ✌️,even though the eko atlantic project is moving at snail speed.
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by 4ckyou: 10:33am On Mar 27, 2022
gbenga4sure:

Yes o, thanks boss ✌️,even though the eko atlantic project is moving at snail speed.

yeah very slow, but they have some of the tallest buildings in Nigeria, just imagine if they started the construction of the stratosphere, by now we will have the tallest building in Africa

1 Like

Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by gbenga4sure(m): 11:51am On Mar 30, 2022
4ckyou:

yeah very slow, but they have some of the tallest buildings in Nigeria, just imagine if they started the construction of the stratosphere, by now we will have the tallest building in Africa
Yes you're right ✌️
Re: Top 6 Highest Skyscrappers(Buildings) In Nigeria.(pictures) by Nobody: 12:41am On Mar 31, 2022
Ttipsy:
empty building
haha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Warning For Pregnant Women Travelling Abroad / Important Things To Take Along If You Are Relocating To Usa For The First Time / 100-Foot Road: Anambra Government Reclaiming Erosion Site In Nnewi (Photos )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.