Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,970 members, 7,803,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

Any Mathematician In The House - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Any Mathematician In The House (822 Views)

Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 / Mathematician Help Me Out With This Simple Problem To Be Submited Tomorow / Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Mathematician In The House by ucjc: 9:14am On Oct 29, 2008
Can you figure this out?

3 men go into a motel. The man behind the desk said "the room is
$30." So each man paid $10 and went to the room.
A while later, the man behind the desk realized that the room was only
$25, so he sent the bellboy to the 3 guys' room with $5 for a refund.
On the way, the bellboy couldn't figure out how to split $5 evenly
between 3 men, so he gave each man $1 and kept $2 for himself.
This meant that the 3 men each paid $9 for the room, which is a total
of $27, add the $2 that the bellboy kept = $29.

WHERE IS THE OTHER DOLLAR?
shocked
Re: Any Mathematician In The House by ifeoga(m): 10:44am On Oct 29, 2008
hi dear poster, this i must say is a very confussing question. but all thesame i can attenpt it.
just as you have summed the summation to get 29 i will say the other one remaining is the $3 that was refunded t them. Now the set of $3 is seen in this context as "1 UNIT".
THIS has to be the case or else i would say if you multiply the $9 by 3 to get $27 and add the $2 to get $29 andthen add the other $3 that was refunded that gives you $32. So how come the extra $2. tongue grin
Re: Any Mathematician In The House by ucjc: 12:06pm On Oct 29, 2008
Author Topic: Re: Any Mathematician In The House (Read 8 views)
garen1412 (m)
Nigeria

Re: Any Mathematician In The House
« on: Today at 10:26:27 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It means the three men paid $27($9 each for a room which cost $25,meaning their change is the $2 left with the bell boy i.e $30 left their pocket instead of $25,they had a change of $5 they where giving $1 each by the bellboy who kept $2,no money was missing-you should have subtracted the $2 with the bellboy from the $27 paid by the 3 men to equate the $25 now in the account of the man at the desk not adding it

thks @garen1412
Re: Any Mathematician In The House by ifeoga(m): 1:35pm On Oct 29, 2008
anyway i have seen your answer and i must confess that this is a real brain teaser.
Also i must say this question is more of an English Language than it is of mathematics, dont you think so?
Re: Any Mathematician In The House by profaulas: 2:30pm On Oct 29, 2008
wel,u gave a psychological question. i've many of them.may be expect some any moment.
Re: Any Mathematician In The House by Ben13: 5:45pm On Oct 29, 2008
Nice one, Poster! grin[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]
Re: Any Mathematician In The House by sniperwolf(m): 9:03am On Oct 30, 2008
The $1 is for tax. Lol!
Re: Any Mathematician In The House by sniperwolf(m): 9:04am On Oct 30, 2008
The $1 is for tax. Lol!
Re: Any Mathematician In The House by ucjc: 4:52pm On Oct 30, 2008
ifeoga:

anyway i have seen your answer and i must confess that this is a real brain teaser.
Also i must say this question is more of an English Language than it is of mathematics, don't you think so?
i think u're correct but it has also to do with equation balancing.
lets look at it thiis way
givers =receivers
the 3 men gave $9 each= the desk man $25 + the bell boy's $2
==> 3*9 = 25+2
27 = 27
equation balanced. grin cool
Re: Any Mathematician In The House by ElosAgos(m): 10:17pm On Oct 30, 2008
@ucjc
You are the question is too much.

I couldn't even attempt to it. grin
Re: Any Mathematician In The House by Oyezee(m): 4:57pm On Nov 11, 2008
Hey man! That was a nice one for those of us who've left school for some months now. I guess its high time I went back to my Maths and Further maths textbooks. Hi to all Nairalanders. This forum has actually helped me in my search for certain infos about Unibadan. Cheers

Re: Any Mathematician In The House by profbrains(m): 4:25pm On Nov 15, 2008
whether owner like praise the watin b d guy name but i dnt like mathematiciiiiiiiiiiiiiiananana who do direct lift without even consider changing or bind refuse the sequence ,,,,,come b4 u post anytin knw hw much u post u try sha to lift bt 4me and me i dnt wnt you to lift if nt i wuld hemmmm post ur name in tell news paper, profbrains

(1) (Reply)

Unilorin Will Conduct 2009, 2010 Post Ume Sure / blank / Unad Part Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.