Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,888 members, 7,806,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) (22184 Views)

What Are Your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2011? / What Are Your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2010? / What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by slap1(m): 9:01am On Sep 07, 2014
awenaibangbee: could I disagree here. The US market that brings us Lil Wayne and Minaj also brought us Dido Armstrong and Guru. Music can make money and still make meaning. Our market is maturing, but we must realise that all genres will exist 8 the same space.
That's the essence of the post: Nigerian music (hip hop) generates money but lacks meaning.

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by victorv12(m): 9:01am On Sep 07, 2014
90's hip-hop is the best.

2 Likes

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by overboard(m): 9:04am On Sep 07, 2014
Djicemob: OP.In as much as you tried to make sense you didn't really succeed, using the word 'hip-hop' invalidates your points.You said hip-hop and i rushed in thinking you were going to highlight insightful reasons why hip-hop is empty in Nigeria and all i read was the emptiness in pop and afrobeats.If it aint hip-hop its nothing,you mentioned hiphop, why not address hip-hop?

100% "concurrence"

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by flolancracker: 9:06am On Sep 07, 2014
Canme4u: Grass to grace by 2face

BETTER by Oritshefemi

TOMORROW REMIX by Oritshefemi FT Vector da viper

IF E BETTER FOR EVERY MAN O, EVERY WOMAN EH, EVERYBODY AJIBOLE E NO GO DEY OOOO*
IF E BETTER FOR EVERY MAN O, EVERY WOMAN, EVERYBODY BANBIALLAH E NO GO DEY

VECTOR:

Orisafemi *ow pipu go do d work wey no dey

*ow u want make dem show d love wey no dey

*ow I wan respect d boss wey no dey pay

*ow u wan enjoy your salary wen d pay no dey tey

*I dey pray 4d future frm now, cos men no dey chao but u see as dem dey plaow

*If e better for every man and woman as a fact I wouldn't have to feature on this track

*If to say life easy 4 d places like ajegunle Omo boys for there no go dey spray bullets

* but I wonder ow d thief go dey aim me now

*You wan rob me but my body no dey pain me now

*even me self no sey no be today

*all d yawns i dey yawn e don tey

*****************************Ajibole e no go dey

God bless Nigeria.
I so love this track.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by VIPERVENOM(m): 9:08am On Sep 07, 2014
most Naija artistes have no creativity dats why they sing nonsense. D annoying part is dat d ones dat sing meaningful music dont sell. I miss d good old days of remedy and plantaishun boyz and tribesmen. D foreign ones aren't left out. D likes of lil wayne, juicy j and nicki. Dats why i still listen to music from d early 80s to mid 2000s. My best rapper still remains flo rida

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Rapmoney(m): 9:08am On Sep 07, 2014
Mention:
YES!!! Because those are what our youths focus on...
Sometime ago, I think between 2001-2003, Sound Sultan Released "Mathematics" and it was a massive hit then...
This same sound sultan in recent times has released "Orobo", "Natural Something" and "VGBG"
Why d sudden change?? Because that's what our society demands...
Timaya was featured by J-Martins on Good and Bad and it received accolades...
Timaya also sang songs like Ogologoma and Yankuluma (is that the title? Have forgotten?)
But this same timaya z actually screaming UKWU now because that's what the market asked him to do..
I heard some days back that he was formerly a gospel singer..
So you see what our Society have turned a gospel singer to..
M not trying to say that gospel musicians ain't making it, but you can't compare the market demand for secular music to that of gospel music..
Our Nyansh and boobs musicians are the ones driving in porsche and bentley.. They are the ones living the good life..

P-square z wealthier than Frank Edwards, Sinach, Gozie Okeke, Paul Nkwocha and Chinyere Udoma Combined... So you see the reason why our hip-hop music industry z d way it is...

And that's why the average Nigerian student is dull. Nothing intellectual in what they listen to.

3 Likes

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by abdulaz: 9:08am On Sep 07, 2014
You have said it all that 'your level of mentality determines the kind of music you listen to'

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 07, 2014
Rapmoney:

Yepp! Listen to his flows. I know most peeps won't feel it because they love shallow songs that focus on the anatomy of women.
are u promoting him?
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by litetias(m): 9:14am On Sep 07, 2014
Yeah American hiphop is pretty narcissistic, agreed. However, their lines are pretty much laced with intelligence. Their songs have themes, how it is to be a rich black, the coldness of the music industry, growing up in the projects and if you're living over there you'll be able to relate to what they are saying cos you've probably passed through the same experiences. Also most of them have songwriters who write meaningful lyrics for them. The same is not true for our local artists bar a few like M.I., Jesse, Modenine, Erigga, who really tell it how it is to be living in Nigeria. I can relate with their experiences and feel like they're singing about me. Wizkid, Davido and their ilk on the other hand are not that intelligent enough to connect with mature thinkers.

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by RayCharles(m): 9:15am On Sep 07, 2014
horlabiyi: I'm sorry to tell you this op. Most of those foreign artiste you are seeing as music lords sing trash too. Just listen to the likes of Lil Wayne,Rick Ross,2chainz etc all they talk about is Womanliness,weed,booty and clubbing. Though there are some artiste that always kill the lyrics like Bruno Mars and co. Respect to the likes of Jesse Jags,Vector,Olamide,Reminisce,9ice and their mama Asa.

How many pple you bless that ow u measure sucess- Robert Leonard William a.k.a Rick Ross

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Rapmoney(m): 9:17am On Sep 07, 2014
apexviper: xo au abt d foreign musicians wu talks abt pussy ,aving ,sex nd d likes.bro,hip hop iz lyk dat nau,only few ppl av actuali gat musical talents

Leave peeps like 2chainz and likes out of this. They are just like few trees in a forest. As immoral as you might think 50 cents or Lil Wayne is, they still talk sense. Listen to their albums. Can you say that about naija artistes? An artiste releases an album and almost all the tracks talk about butts and bosoms! Common, what are you saying?
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Mention(m): 9:18am On Sep 07, 2014
Rapmoney:

And that's why the average Nigerian student is dull. Nothing intellectual in what they listen to.
Even in d days of Fela there were dull students and people complained of poor standard of education then... Things would only get worse.. Don't blame the students, their society made them what they are..
Even among the guys in seminary who pray 20/24 hours, and listen to catholic hymns and Fr. Mbaka Songs, there are still the dull and corrupt ones... So don't blame everything on the type of music..
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Rapmoney(m): 9:24am On Sep 07, 2014
Ademolapaul: are u promoting him?

Nah, am just giving him the rep for his high intellectual capacity. Na better tomatoes dey sell imself for market cheesy
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 07, 2014
Rapmoney:

Nah, am just giving him the rep for his high intellectual capacity. Na better tomatoes dey sell imself for market cheesy
lol
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Rapmoney(m): 9:29am On Sep 07, 2014
Mention:
Even in d days of Fela there were dull students and people complained of poor standard of education then... Things would only get worse.. Don't blame the students, their society made them what they are..
Even among the guys in seminary who pray 20/24 hours, and listen to catholic hymns and Fr. Mbaka Songs, there are still the dull and corrupt ones... So don't blame everything on the type of music..

I am not saying the average Nigerian student is dull because naija songs. What am saying is that the contents of these songs act as a source of distraction for these students. The total behaviour of a child has something still to do with what he/she listens to.

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Rapmoney(m): 9:29am On Sep 07, 2014
Mention:

I am not saying the average Nigerian student is dull because of naija songs. What am saying is that the contents of these songs act as a source of distraction for these students. The total behaviour of a child has something still to do with what he/she listens to.

2 Likes

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Nobody: 9:30am On Sep 07, 2014
Rapmoney:

Leave peeps like 2chainz and likes out of this. They are just like few trees in a forest. As immoral as you might think 50 cents or Lil Wayne is, they still talk sense. Listen to their albums. Can you say that about naija artistes? An artiste releases an album and almost all the tracks talk about butts and bosoms! Common, what are you saying?
well,ur ryt, tanks 4 d correction

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by litetias(m): 9:30am On Sep 07, 2014
VIPERVENOM: most Naija artistes have no creativity dats why they sing nonsense. D annoying part is dat d ones dat sing meaningful music dont sell. I miss d good old days of remedy and plantaishun boyz and tribesmen. D foreign ones aren't left out. D likes of lil wayne, juicy j and nicki. Dats why i still listen to music from d early and mid 2000s. My best rapper still remains flo rida
I agree with you to a large extent. On the issue of Tunechi, I think its important to note that on the surface his music is shallow but his music is actually one of the most intellectual. His lyrics have deep meanings. For example from What Is Wrong With Them featuring Nicki:

Uh, mind over matter
Money over all
The World is on my shoulders,
Shall I dust my shoulders off?
Uzi rat-a-tatter, knocking over walls Fuc*k the bullshit, but just don't fuc*k it raw man
Puss*y has a pattern and I know where I'm going
And if you got beef I turn into a tenderloin
Sanity kills so I live the crazy life
I wonder if you'll pay attention if I change the price
Life is my wife, till death do us part Man I'm fly as fuc*k you ain't even next to depart
Quick draw McGraw, I hope you like art

That's some deep stuff that you have to take one or two listenings to really understand but in essence he's really passing across what its like to walk in his shoes.

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by sexzskil(f): 9:34am On Sep 07, 2014
Wetin konsine me with church or mosque.

Ehm, BACK IN THE DAYS, NAIJA HIPHOP ARTISTS DIRECTLY COPY THE STYLES OF UNIVERSAL SUPERSTARS LIKE EMINEM, TWISTA, 2 PAC, NELLY, JARULE, BIGGIE, NAS, ETC, BUT TODAY YOU HAVE HUSTLERS WHO ACCIDENTALLY STUMBLED INTO THE INDUSTRY DOING AFRO-POP AND CALLING IT HIP-HOP, THE LIKES OF IM.BE.CILES LIKE olamide, but that guy called Phyno is really trying to sound like real American hiphop, even his videos. Perfect examples are Man of the Year and #Alobam.

IN ALL, YOU ENTERTAIN BUT ALSO MAKE IMPACT. THIS IS WHY I ALWAYS SAID WE AFRICANS HAVE NO CELEBRITY. THE ONES I CAN MANAGE TO CELEBRATE ARE WRITERS AND BUSINESS MEN.

3 Likes

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Canme4u(m): 9:36am On Sep 07, 2014
flolancracker: I so love this track.
me too like ahm like madt.

Vetor's Raps make sense with a lot of rymhs.
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by omoadeleye(m): 9:37am On Sep 07, 2014
priscaoge: Someone was playing one song like that when I was in a Bus,they call it "S3x TAPE". I was shocked when I heard d lyrics shocked shocked shocked

lol, patoranking be that. .. not a mix tape
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by RebelLeader15(m): 9:38am On Sep 07, 2014
Even Prophet Fela Anikulapo Kuti sef sing about yanch

Anywhere yanch go yanch

Up,down,left,right

How we nor go talk

Because nothing wey yanch dey do wey nor dey sweet

$hit, pis$, fu-ck...

E dey sweet well now, because yanch na wonderful material property
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by icekidgodfrey(m): 9:43am On Sep 07, 2014
Rapmoney: I used 'hip hop' because I didn't want to use 'music'. Music consists of both native/cultural, gospel, etc. There are lots of naija cultural songs I can kill for; they cut across many Nigerian languages. When it comes to gospel, there are songs and artistes I admire. I can play the likes of Frank Edwards, Chris Morgan, Boniface Adefu, Sinach, etc all day wink

Now, naija hip hop. Getting so empty!!! What do these peeps say in their songs if not the butts of women and how they can die for it. Does it mean there is no other reasonable thing to talk about if not nyash? Out of every 10 naija hiphop you hear on radio, 9 must be talking about nyash. Gosh!!!

The effect of these songs on our kids cannot be easily over-looked. They corrupt these kids to a large extent. I have seen kids singing lines such as 'take banana till you go...', ' I fit die on top your matter ehhhh', 'ukwu', etc.

Nigerians are quick to conclude that foreign songs contain nothing, but with all sincerity, I think the ratio of foreign songs that are empty and those of naija cannot be compared. Most naija hiphop/dance hall songs are loved so much by the 'unintelligent' folks who find it hard to understand philosophical lines or lyrics. I still feel the level of your mentality determines the type of songs you listen to. I give respect to Gino, Yung Hanz, Modenine, Jesse Jagzz and the peeps who have been keeping it real.

Views are welcomed...

Altered caption, you the wrong audience reading the trend. When I saw 'Hiphop' I thought it was like real hiphop in Nigeria... Better yet, stick to what it should be; you're writing about 'Nigerian Music', I really think that gotta be a different genre.
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Tonylyte(m): 9:46am On Sep 07, 2014
Idrismusty97: All they sing about is cars,fame,money and women. Not only in Nigeria but hip hop all over the world. Why would i be listening to people praising themselves and demeaning everyone else in their songs undecided
2Face idibia is the only hip hop artist that i respect in nigeria becos of the msg his songs(one love, for instance, oh papa, you no holy pass, down there...et all) carries...dbanj, psquare, wizzy, davido et all are noisemakers. Imo though.
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by RebelLeader15(m): 9:48am On Sep 07, 2014
litetias: Yeah American hiphop is pretty narcissistic, agreed. However, their lines are pretty much laced with intelligence. Their songs have themes, how it is to be a rich black, the coldness of the music industry, growing up in the projects and if you're living over there you'll be able to relate to what they are saying cos you've probably passed through the same experiences. Also most of them have songwriters who write meaningful lyrics for them. The same is not true for our local artists bar a few like M.I., Jesse, Modenine, Erigga, who really tell it how it is to be living in Nigeria. I can relate with their experiences and feel like they're singing about me. Wizkid, Davido and their ilk on the other hand are not that intelligent enough to connect with mature thinkers.
bro, you sound like a Fu+kstard, Erigga wey dey sing rubbish na m u mention so...

That guy na d worst, u don listen to Paper boy and other rubbish wey e sing
"Go ashawo quaters go daga opo"

Abi na month strict gan you wan talk
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by mbulela: 9:48am On Sep 07, 2014
Rapmoney:

By focusing 100 percent on nyash, breas.ts, sex and the likes?
If no one was buying it,theywould have stopped.
Even the corporate entities are as guilty. Check out the brand ambassadors.
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Rapmoney(m): 9:49am On Sep 07, 2014
RebelLeader15: Even Prophet Fela Anikulapo Kuti sef sing about yanch

Anywhere yanch go yanch

Up,down,left,right

How we nor go talk

Because nothing wey yanch dey do wey nor dey sweet

$hit, pis$, fu-ck...

E dey sweet well now, because yanch na wonderful material property

If na dis kind of fathers we go get in the nearest future, then Olorun save us! And u be choir master for your church o!
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by litetias(m): 9:53am On Sep 07, 2014
RebelLeader15: bro, you sound like a Fu+kstard, Erigga wey dey sing rubbish na m u mention so...

That guy na d worst, u don listen to Paper boy and other rubbish wey e sing
"Go ashawo quaters go daga opo"

Abi na month strict gan you wan talk

Listen my friend, I be Warri boy. Erigga dey tell u how the hustle be for Waffi you dey dere dey judge.
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by AdemolaA2: 9:53am On Sep 07, 2014
May the creator bless this poster .I was and i'm still on the same opinion with you poster .I hate these rants ,noises filtering nigerian airwaves nowadays .I begin to feel i'm even better than these peeps lyrically when i freestyle . i get no inspiration from any of these noisemakers . big ups to JesseJagz always for repping the truth ..
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by litetias(m): 9:54am On Sep 07, 2014
mbulela:
If no one was buying it,theywould have stopped.
Even the corporate entities are as guilty. Check out the brand ambassadors.
You're right. Glo, Mtn, Star are the worst
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Kayharry(m): 9:55am On Sep 07, 2014
"Your bottom big like trailer
My money big like whale o
It's very long like vuvuzela o
It's very strong to cure your pain o"
-Davido
"Oya back to the matter
Open and close touch your toes
baby oya yodi
Back to the matter
Open and close touch your toes
baby oya yodi
Kelewa sarewa sa re wa gba
Kogbeni wa baby girl
gbesoke gbesile
Mo ni ko gbeni wa
Today na shalewa
Tomorrow na vanessa
I dey give many things
Enough to go around
-Wizkid
Driving and listening to the radio. Your kids are
singing these songs word for word. They don't
understand yoruba but they are singing it with
gusto like they are in an audition for Project
Fame.
They get to the second "sarewagba" chorus and
you can bear it no longer. You turn off the
radio.
"Mummy, why?!!! We like the song"
"Well, it's not appropriate"
"Ok, put Beyonce"
"Which song?"
"Drunk in love"
"Errm...not appropriate either"
"What of Katy Perry?"
"Which one?"
"Roar"
Does a quick run through of the song in my
mind. Ok. That seems fine.
Hmmm....nobody sings children-friendly songs
anymore sha. Na wa.
Have you tried watching any of these music
videos with your kid in the room? *cringe factor
raise to power 100*
Don't just try it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

P-Square: Kings Of Copy, Sampling And Overlifting / New Video: P-square – Beautiful Onyinye Ft. Rick Ross. [download] + Audio / Mention A Line From A Popular Song & Someone Will Tell You The Name Of The Song

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.