Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,278 members, 7,807,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) (22188 Views)

What Are Your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2011? / What Are Your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2010? / What Are your Top 10 Naija Hip Hop Tracks Of 2009? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Tonylyte(m): 9:55am On Sep 07, 2014
GreenBobo: Stick to what you like! When Inyanya was doing good music, few Nigerians knew or patronized him! He did kukure n all of a sudden he blew! I get ur point, But It's business and they call it commercial music!
Na, he wasnt doing it well. 2face does sane music, yet he is rich and popular.

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Rapmoney(m): 9:55am On Sep 07, 2014
icekidgodfrey:

Altered caption, you the wrong audience reading the trend. When I saw 'Hiphop' I thought it was like real hiphop in Nigeria... Better yet, stick to what it should be; you're writing about 'Nigerian Music', I really think that gotta be a different genre.

You talked about real hiphop. Yes! So how many peeps will buy if one does real hiphop you talked about without involving trashy words? The shallow minds of most listeners won't allow them to buy it. Someone should please, tell me what Erriga is singing?
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by RebelLeader15(m): 9:56am On Sep 07, 2014
Tonylyte:
2Face idibia is the only hip hop artist that i respect in nigeria becos of the msg his songs(one love, for instance, oh papa, you no holy pass, down there...et all) carries...dbanj, psquare, wizzy, davido et all are noisemakers. Imo though.
Dbanj go sing Kpokpo garri and other unhearable music

Davido na so so song e dey steal, "Mr Song robber"

Psquare song na for people wey wan do body fitness

Then the Chief Noise Maker, Spiritual/Physical madman, finish product of Yaba left, and chieftancy title too numerous to mention in insanity, HON TERRY GZUS

2 Likes

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by mbulela: 9:59am On Sep 07, 2014
litetias:
I agree with you to a large extent. On the issue of Tunechi, I think its important to note that on the surface his music is shallow but his music is actually one of the most intellectual. His lyrics have deep meanings. For example from What Is Wrong With Them featuring Nicki:

Uh, mind over matter
Money over all
The World is on my shoulders,
Shall I dust my shoulders off?
Uzi rat-a-tatter, knocking over walls Fuc*k the bullshit, but just don't fuc*k it raw man
Puss*y has a pattern and I know where I'm going
And if you got beef I turn into a tenderloin
Sanity kills so I live the crazy life
I wonder if you'll pay attention if I change the price
Life is my wife, till death do us part Man I'm fly as fuc*k you ain't even next to depart
Quick draw McGraw, I hope you like art

That's some deep stuff that you have to take one or two listenings to really understand but in essence he's really passing across what its like to walk in his shoes.

If this is what you consider deep then I am worried and scared to find out what you will call shallow
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Tonylyte(m): 10:00am On Sep 07, 2014
RebelLeader15:
Dbanj go sing Kpokpo garri and other unhearable music

Davido na so so song e dey steal, "Mr Song robber"

Psquare song na for people wey wan do body fitness

Then the Chief Noise Maker, Spiritual/Physical madman, finish product of Yaba left, and chieftancy title too numerous to mention in insanity, HON TERRY GZUS
Terry g? Lol, one hell of an artist that i find difficult to notice his existance...that guy is an epitome of noisemakers.

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by litetias(m): 10:04am On Sep 07, 2014
mbulela:

If this is what you consider deep then I am worried and scared to find out what you will call shallow
Like I said if you look at it cursorily then it seems shallow but a lingering analysis of his lyrics with a measure of empathy will alert you as to the ingenuity of his songs.
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by ollins(m): 10:06am On Sep 07, 2014
most nigerians shaaa!!!!,do you blame the muscians?they are just trying to survive,look at iyanya when the guy was playing songs that had meaning no body was buying his songs,immediately he sang "ur waist",everyone sytarted buying his songs,it is the demand that is bringing out these kind of songs in nigeria right now.people love trashy songs
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by ACM10: 10:07am On Sep 07, 2014
Rapmoney: I used 'hip hop' because I didn't want to use 'music'. Music consists of both native/cultural, gospel, etc. There are lots of naija cultural songs I can kill for; they cut across many Nigerian languages. When it comes to gospel, there are songs and artistes I admire. I can play the likes of Frank Edwards, Chris Morgan, Boniface Adefu, Sinach, etc all day wink

Now, naija hip hop. Getting so empty!!! What do these peeps say in their songs if not the butts of women and how they can die for it. Does it mean there is no other reasonable thing to talk about if not nyash? Out of every 10 naija hiphop you hear on radio, 9 must be talking about nyash. Gosh!!!

The effect of these songs on our kids cannot be easily over-looked. They corrupt these kids to a large extent. I have seen kids singing lines such as 'take banana till you go...', ' I fit die on top your matter ehhhh', 'ukwu', etc.

Nigerians are quick to conclude that foreign songs contain nothing, but with all sincerity, I think the ratio of foreign songs that are empty and those of naija cannot be compared. Most naija hiphop/dance hall songs are loved so much by the 'unintelligent' folks who find it hard to understand philosophical lines or lyrics. I still feel the level of your mentality determines the type of songs you listen to. I give respect to Gino, Yung Hanz, Modenine, Jesse Jagzz and the peeps who have been keeping it real.

Views are welcomed...

Nonsense! I guess you are not a fan of foreign hip hop. Have you bothered to listen to Lil Wayne's "lollipop" feat Kanye West?

"lollipop lollipop, brea.st is like dat of Dolly Parton".

What's wrong with Nigerians and their sanctimonious bullshyt? Those songs have their targeted audience. You are free to choose another track that suits your fancy. Don't come online to bias people thought with your opinion. We aint buying it.

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Rapmoney(m): 10:10am On Sep 07, 2014
If truth be told, naija songs have succeeded in commercializing relationship and romance to a great extent. How can you be talking continually about spending your all and all on women? What do you expect them to do when they hear such?
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Oltabaks(m): 10:13am On Sep 07, 2014
some folks are still doin' us proud...I'd kill for M.I,EVA.....Shit i ran out of cool rappers!!

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Nobody: 10:15am On Sep 07, 2014
Rapmoney: I used 'hip hop' because I didn't want to use 'music'. Music consists of both native/cultural, gospel, etc. There are lots of naija cultural songs I can kill for; they cut across many Nigerian languages. When it comes to gospel, there are songs and artistes I admire. I can play the likes of Frank Edwards, Chris Morgan, Boniface Adefu, Sinach, etc all day wink

Now, naija hip hop. Getting so empty!!! What do these peeps say in their songs if not the butts of women and how they can die for it. Does it mean there is no other reasonable thing to talk about if not nyash? Out of every 10 naija hiphop you hear on radio, 9 must be talking about nyash. Gosh!!!

The effect of these songs on our kids cannot be easily over-looked. They corrupt these kids to a large extent. I have seen kids singing lines such as 'take banana till you go...', ' I fit die on top your matter ehhhh', 'ukwu', etc.

Nigerians are quick to conclude that foreign songs contain nothing, but with all sincerity, I think the ratio of foreign songs that are empty and those of naija cannot be compared. Most naija hiphop/dance hall songs are loved so much by the 'unintelligent' folks who find it hard to understand philosophical lines or lyrics. I still feel the level of your mentality determines the type of songs you listen to. I give respect to Gino, Yung Hanz, Modenine, Jesse Jagzz and the peeps who have been keeping it real.

Views are welcomed...
Edit it's to its!
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Rapmoney(m): 10:17am On Sep 07, 2014
ACM10:

Nonsense! I guess you are not a fan of foreign hip hop. Have you bothered to listen to Lil Wayne's "lollipop" feat Kanye West?

"lollipop lollipop, brea.st is like dat of Dolly Parton".

What's wrong with Nigerians and their sanctimonious bullshyt? Those songs have their targeted audience. You are free to choose another track that suits your fancy. Don't come online to bias people thought with your opinion. We aint buying it.

Peeps like you listen to songs without understanding them!
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by icemania: 10:20am On Sep 07, 2014
Is it me or having a 'good voice' is no longer a requirment to being a musician, coz it seems anybody can just wake up one morning and decide they wana be musicians, thanks to auto tune. Most of the songs lack Lyrical depth, vocal prowress and orignality, moreso we need to have music genres coz every body sounds
the same. Harsh but realistic critique of music industry.

2 Likes

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by RebelLeader15(m): 10:20am On Sep 07, 2014
litetias:
Listen my friend, I be Warri boy. Erigga dey tell u how the hustle be for Waffi you dey dere dey judge.
abegii, as if I don't know the Erigga, If I tell yoo who I am, you will know how close I am to Erigga himself, the guy dey sing rubbish, big time fu+kn rubbish

2 Likes

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by RebelLeader15(m): 10:24am On Sep 07, 2014
Rapmoney:

If na dis kind of fathers we go get in the nearest future, then Olorun save us! And u be choir master for your church o!
I don't go to church, I have no business with those fake man of God, I pray and praise God on my own
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by egbaguy: 10:27am On Sep 07, 2014
horlabiyi: I'm sorry to tell you this op. Most of those foreign artiste you are seeing as music lords sing trash too. Just listen to the likes of Lil Wayne,Rick Ross,2chainz etc all they talk about is Womanliness,weed,booty and clubbing. Though there are some artiste that always kill the lyrics like Bruno Mars and co. Respect to the likes of Jesse Jags,Vector,Olamide,Reminisce,9ice and their mama Asa.
olamide and reminisce are more vulgar
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Asemo11(m): 10:29am On Sep 07, 2014
Canme4u: Grass to grace by 2baba

BETTER, TOMORROW by Oritshefemi

BETTER Remix by Oritshefemi FT Vector da viper

IF E BETTER FOR EVERY MAN O, EVERY WOMAN EH, EVERYBODY AJIBOLE E NO GO DEY OOOO*
IF E BETTER FOR EVERY MAN O, EVERY WOMAN, EVERYBODY BANBIALLAH E NO GO DEY

VECTOR:

Orisafemi *ow pipu go do d work wey no dey

*ow u want make dem show d love wey no dey

*ow I wan respect d boss wey no dey pay

*ow u wan enjoy your salary wen d pay no dey tey

*I dey pray 4d future frm now, cos men no dey chao but u see as dem dey plaow

*If e better for every man and woman as a fact I wouldn't have to feature on this track

*If to say life easy 4 d places like Ajegunle Omo boys for there no go dey spray bullets

* but I wonder ow d thief go dey aim me now

*You wan ROB me but my body no dey pain me now

*even me self no sey no be today

*all d yawns i dey yawn e don tey

if e better for everybody
***************************** Ajibole no go dey.*

The chorus of Oritsefemi, the verce and the Vector's raps were all within the content of the track.

It is not about self praising song, it is about the reality. Vector did justice to that with his raps which accompany a great rymhs just like DaGreen's track DEMOCRAZY

GOD BLESS NIGERIA

i fink say na only me sabi dis lines
bros u too much vector murder that jam
femi is also good

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by litetias(m): 10:34am On Sep 07, 2014
RebelLeader15: abegii, as if I don't know the Erigga, If I tell yoo who I am, you will know how close I am to Erigga himself, the guy dey sing rubbish, big time fu+kn rubbish
You're entitled to your own opinion.
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by kendrick93(m): 10:35am On Sep 07, 2014
naija musicians lyk yansh too much dats why its affectin there music.. they are so uncreative

2 Likes

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by egbaguy: 10:35am On Sep 07, 2014
your bumbum bigger than bombay...wizkid, te so ju e by reminisce; wa fe ku laleyi.wa fe kulaleyi,ma te so ju e laleyi,ma te so ju e laleyi; many rubbish song in naija

2 Likes

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Okijajuju1(m): 10:37am On Sep 07, 2014

Views are welcomed...

It's all about Beemer, Benz and Bentley hommie.. grin

And you listed Jesse Jagz whose last two albums sounded more Jamaican than Nigerian and also talked more about weed and sex than it did anything else? undecided
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 07, 2014
I don't do Nigerian musics...they sound chaotic and disorganized. No wonder I can't sing past few lines.

2 Likes

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Amadaz(m): 10:39am On Sep 07, 2014
@OP you're right. thats why i opted for makossa and soukos even though i dont get french.

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Rapmoney(m): 10:40am On Sep 07, 2014
Okijajuju1:

It's all about Beemer, Benz and Bentley hommie.. grin

And you listed Jesse Jagz whose last two albums sounded more Jamaican than Nigerian and also talked more about weed and sex than it did anything else? undecided

So how many tracks in those albums talk about sex and weed?

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by YoungDaNaval(m): 10:43am On Sep 07, 2014
I Wasn't A Fan Of Wizkid Until I Listened To "JOY" Goosh! That Song Is Inspirational!

Meanwhile, Check Out Ma Songs Here http://lazkeed./2014/08/22/new-music-youngdanaval-make-dem-talk-featuring-don-bejah/ Download And Tell Me What You Think. Thanx In Advance!
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Nobody: 10:43am On Sep 07, 2014
timilehing: Full of emptiness and still, we listen, watch & dance to their songs?? Its not empty yet

On a serious note, that yans.h, brea.st & co is what Nigerians are looking for in an hip hop artist

not true broda! there are many songs without yansh(es) that 9jians play and enjoy every day wella.
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Canme4u(m): 10:45am On Sep 07, 2014
Asemo11:

i fink say na only me sabi dis lines
bros u too much vector murder that jam
femi is also good

that track has been on replay ever since. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Harhzyz(m): 10:48am On Sep 07, 2014
Music in Nigeria is all about business and I really dont blame them becos that is what Nigerians want. To be a good businessman u have to give ur market what they want
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Mention(m): 10:48am On Sep 07, 2014
Rapmoney:

I am not saying the average Nigerian student is dull because of naija songs. What am saying is that the contents of these songs act as a source of distraction for these students. The total behaviour of a child has something still to do with what he/she listens to.
Charity begins at home....
There z a way u would train ya child and He/She would see all these songs as mere songs...
I agree that the society influences the child in a way but the home have the greater influence...
Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Mention(m): 10:51am On Sep 07, 2014
RebelLeader15: bro, you sound like a Fu+kstard, Erigga wey dey sing rubbish na m u mention so...

That guy na d worst, u don listen to Paper boy and other rubbish wey e sing
"Go ashawo quaters go daga opo"

Abi na month strict gan you wan talk

Erigga?? Is that a name of a musician or a studio goer?

1 Like

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Okijajuju1(m): 10:54am On Sep 07, 2014
Rapmoney:

So how many tracks in those albums talk about sex and weed?

You look and tell me how many did not sound Jamaican or talk about weed and or sex

Re: Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) by Rapmoney(m): 10:54am On Sep 07, 2014
Mention:
Charity begins at home....
There z a way u would train ya child and He/She would see all these songs as mere songs...
I agree that the society influences the child in a way but the home have the greater influence...

A child that is up to 10 is more influenced by what he or she hears/sees than the family. I am a social scientist, with all humbleness.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

P-Square: Kings Of Copy, Sampling And Overlifting / New Video: P-square – Beautiful Onyinye Ft. Rick Ross. [download] + Audio / Mention A Line From A Popular Song & Someone Will Tell You The Name Of The Song

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.