Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,048 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? (23509 Views)

Marada: Essential Medicinal Herbs / The Dangers Of Postpartum Depression / A Thread For Those Suffering From Depression Or Anxiety Disorders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by rill: 7:55am On Sep 11, 2014
samexlafaze:
NO,not like that,depression didn't cause Gab's malaria,though illness(here "maybe" malaria) could bring about depression and sometimes drugs used to treat a particular Illness may also bring about depression also depression may come as a result of one's situation in life(maybe being a social outcast,no friends,no girlfriend or boyfriend or husband ever,no jobs,tins like that or maybe too much pressure to succed)...#WhatiThinkOoo...Not doctors opinion
. The op mentioned gabs depression was caused by some sort of chemical imbalance in the brain and maybe stress. There are several other causes of depression ranging from emotional trauma to physical abuse. Most victims have a thing in common, which is re current illness. Wanna know how depression results to these. I'm sure the brain , body chemicals, the immune system and poor feeding would be implicated. Its definitely gonna be multifactorial.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 11, 2014
CoCoLav: The thing about depression is nobody knows you are gong through it unless you tell them. Had it for like a year before I got over it and even now when I feel myself slipping back I just talk to God. Sometimes all we need is support and for someone to be there. When it got too much at a point and I went for counselling, I wasn't comfortable with the way the doctor was taking it. She kept asking questions on if I had just broken up with my boyfriend so I just played along and left after enough moral advice.

That's terrible. Was it in Nigeria?

Nigerians have a misconception that depression is just sadness. I was very reluctant to open this thread. Some comments already say things like "I was depressed once, and I got over it" and "Everyone gets depressed"

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Superstar007(m): 7:56am On Sep 11, 2014
Depression isn't good at all.
It leaves you contemplating on many things such as suicide to escape your misery.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 11, 2014
safarigirl: Been having bouts of depression for some years now. It goes on and off. Sometimes I just feel hopeless and I break down and cry and yes, nobody understands.

I'm always told "you'll get over it" or "you're not the only one with problems". Then I'm teased about it and told to pray on it. Many times I've suggested therapy, but do we have therapists in Nigeria?
. Sorry to hear. And yes there are therapists in Nigeria, there's a lot of em in Abuja. I think you should find someone else who probably suffers depression as well and become good friends with em. Shockingly! That new friend who equally suffers depression can become your therapist and you, theirs as well. Try it- if you're still having issues finding a good therapist. It worked for me back in the university. I had a bit of depression back then. I've completely gotten over it. smiley
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by LushGreenz: 7:57am On Sep 11, 2014
Kanwulia: What is the point of this your topic sef? undecided
Do you have the magical pills for sale on NL?

Many NEED them o! cry

Well, I'm still saying Hello ma'am
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 7:58am On Sep 11, 2014
DollyParton1:
The doctor is right to ask you questions if you have just broken up with your boyfriend or maybe you just lost a loved one or something major and bad just happened to you. If any if this is the case, then you aint suffering from depression.
Depression is diagnosed if one has no cause to be depressed and one is. Except if one has been diagnosed with it before and one suffered a major loss or something.

Not true. I can tell you have no experience with depression.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 8:00am On Sep 11, 2014
Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I know how fond nairalanders are of speaking confidently about what they don't know. I just read a comment from someone who said he had a headache once, and he thinks it must have been depression. -_-

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 8:06am On Sep 11, 2014
I hope this helps someone. I'm just going to watch. If you need advice pm me. I'm pretty damn qualified. Nigerians and depression, suicide, and alcoholics, therapy and antidepressants. You can ask me.

I'm not going to discuss it here. I know NL. Someone will piss me off.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by CoCoLav(f): 8:07am On Sep 11, 2014
MissMeiya:

That's terrible. Was it in Nigeria?

Nigerians have a misconception that depression is just sadness. I was very reluctant to open this thread. Some comments already say things like "I was depressed once, and I got over it" and "Everyone gets depressed"

Yeah it was. I know a very close friend who takes drugs for his depression. His family doesnt even know he is depressed and I can bet he didn't tell them cos he felt they won't understand.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by CoCoLav(f): 8:09am On Sep 11, 2014
rill: . The op mentioned gabs depression was caused by some sort of chemical imbalance in the brain and maybe stress. There are several other causes of depression ranging from emotional trauma to physical abuse. Most victims have a thing in common, which is re current illness. Wanna know how depression results to these. I'm sure the brain , body chemicals, the immune system and poor feeding would be implicated. Its definitely gonna be multifactorial.

I think I will go with the chemical imbalance because I can't pinpoint any reason why I should be depressed.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by rallymento(m): 8:10am On Sep 11, 2014
If you are not a professional in psychiatry please do not get too involved attending to depressed patients especially when they are not your blood relatives.
I onced worked as a PA to a businessman the man's wife was suffering from depression and his son was mentally ill. To cut the long story short , I was asked by my boss to help the son out with activities that will make him better, now these activities was between me, my ogas wife, and his son.
My people, after my 1st month, I left that job witout collecting my salary because I noticed my life was in danger! And my boss policy wasn't encouraging!
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Okeikpu(m): 8:11am On Sep 11, 2014
eleojo23: In order not to further lengthen the original post, I did not go into full details on the signs and symptoms of depression. There are good online articles on the subject that you can read.

But for the sake of this thread, let me share a little on the subject.

The Federal Government Source for Women's Health Information defines "depression as an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts. It affects the way you eat and sleep, the way you feel about yourself, and the way you think about things." It's more than "feeling blue" or "trying to pull yourself together" and you can't wish it away.
There is no single cause of depression. It runs in some families but people with no family history also become depressed. Other causes include stressful life changes, like divorce, losing a job, the loss of a loved one, or a serious illness.

What are some of the symptoms?
-Always feeling sad or empty
-Lack of interest in favorite activities
-Feeling irritable
-Crying a lot
-Feeling guilty, worthless, or hopeless
-Sleeping too much or not at all
-Eating too much or not at all
-Problems making decisions or
concentrating
-Thoughts of suicide and death
-Drinking and using drugs

If you're feeling any of these symptoms for more than 2 weeks, you should get professional help.
Na lazy pple dey av dat kind problem u listed above..-,-
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 8:13am On Sep 11, 2014
CoCoLav:

Yeah it was. I know a very close friend who takes drugs for his depression. His family doesnt even know he is depressed and I can bet he didn't tell them cos he felt they won't understand.

Even if they tried to understand, they never will. That's if he's lucky enough to have understanding parents. It's not something that can be explained to someone who doesn't know it intimately, or who isn't a professional. Drugs have their own set of problems, but I hope, from the bottom of my heart that they are working for your friend. And I hope you find something that works for you. It doesn't have to be drugs. (But when they work, they WORK.) I know someone who manages (sort of) by writing. It's not perfect, but he's OK with it. His profession allows for the occasional disruption in his schedule when writing doesn't work.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by JuanDeDios: 8:19am On Sep 11, 2014
Excelboi: Depression is real and I have suffered from it twice. I just got over the second episode about a week ago. I'm currently on medication and everything is totally normal now. If you are feeling depressed, you need to see a psychiatrist and you maybe put on meds. Pity and hope doesn't work with depression, sometimes you can't fight it alone, you have to seek a professional help.
If you sense that you don't like doing what you like doing before, getting sad over a particular incident for a long period of time, sleeping too little or sleeping a lot, crying without helping it, then there is a possibility you are suffering from depression. The illness doesn't look face, it can affect infant, adolescent and adults and no matter how rich you are, it can attack you. An example is a case of an American celebrity who died some few weeks back. Depression led him to suicide. So try not to get shy and seek for help. And most importantly, it's not everyone you should tell that you have depression. They may make it worse.
Some people get over it through therapy, while some others are put on prozac and cognitive therapy to fight it. Sometimes exercise help. If you need advise and help on how to combat it, you can speak up here and may ask for my contact, feel free.
I'd like a psychiatrist's contact. Thanks.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Excelboi(m): 8:22am On Sep 11, 2014
JuanDeDios:
I'd like a psychiatrist's contact. Thanks.
I went to a federal hospital here in kano and a psychiatrist attend to me. Sorry, I don't have his contact. You may try the health section free medical advice thread, you may be lucky.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by igbsam(m): 8:27am On Sep 11, 2014
Too many childish comments on such an important topic.

Na children don dey occupy this Nairaland o!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 11, 2014
Excelboi: Depression is real and I have suffered from it twice. I just got over the second episode about a week ago. I'm currently on medication and everything is totally normal now. If you are feeling depressed, you need to see a psychiatrist and you maybe put on meds. Pity and hope doesn't work with depression, sometimes you can't fight it alone, you have to seek a professional help.
If you sense that you don't like doing what you like doing before, getting sad over a particular incident for a long period of time, sleeping too little or sleeping a lot, crying without helping it, then there is a possibility you are suffering from depression. The illness doesn't look face, it can affect infant, adolescent and adults and no matter how rich you are, it can attack you. An example is a case of an American celebrity who died some few weeks back. Depression led him to suicide. So try not to get shy and seek for help. And most importantly, it's not everyone you should tell that you have depression. They may make it worse.
Some people get over it through therapy, while some others are put on prozac and cognitive therapy to fight it. Sometimes exercise help. If you need advise and help on how to combat it, you can speak up here and may ask for my contact, feel free.

Best post in the thread, not including the op
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Godmother(f): 8:29am On Sep 11, 2014
I know firsthand how dangerous depression can be cos I just came out of a long phase of it. The funny thing is those around me who knew about it used to tell me to snap out of it or pray :-/ I was determined to come out of it so I looked for solutions, some I got online.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by kilokeys(m): 8:31am On Sep 11, 2014
depression.. hehehehe. a normal way of life for many

if u r jobless, broke in naija. dep. na normal thing.

i wouldn't say i am depressed... i just dey vex

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by cross22: 8:33am On Sep 11, 2014
Not interested. on my way to the airport.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by safarigirl(f): 8:35am On Sep 11, 2014
evegran: . Sorry to hear. And yes there are therapists in Nigeria, there's a lot of em in Abuja. I think you should find someone else who probably suffers depression as well and become good friends with em. Shockingly! That new friend who equally suffers depression can become your therapist and you, theirs as well. Try it- if you're still having issues finding a good therapist. It worked for me back in the university. I had a bit of depression back then. I've completely gotten over it. smiley
hard to find someone who suffers depression. Nobody owns up to it.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 11, 2014
seedord247: Only the rich folks suffered from depression. The middle class and the ghettoos dont cause they were born in depression and they have see it as a away of life and they even make life out it.
THIS STATEMENT IS SO WRONG.DEPRESSION KNOWS NO CLASS,IT AFFECTS THE THE RICH,MIDDLE&POOR CLASS sad

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by amanze15(m): 8:39am On Sep 11, 2014
Nigerians would termed it "oyinbo" man sickness grin , alot of people in Nigeria are schizophrenic undecided , a typical example of one woman i got into the taxi with when i visited ILorin, she kept twitching/yelling/complaining at everything talking to herself undecided i became uncomfortable......y'all should read Freud analysts books, this things or rather conditions happen to human beings so Nigerians ain't a sacred cow
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by JuanDeDios: 8:46am On Sep 11, 2014
Excelboi: I went to a federal hospital here in kano and a psychiatrist attend to me. Sorry, I don't have his contact. You may try the health section free medical advice thread, you may be lucky.
Thank you.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by kilokeys(m): 8:47am On Sep 11, 2014
here is my schedule some months ago while i was working..
i sleep by 10pm
wake up by 4am rehearse my guitar for 30minutes
jog for an hour
leave for work by 6am
get home by 5pm.

i was stressed, but glad.

when d job stopped
i slept all day, couldn't do exercises, ate like a wolf, vents and attack stewpid posts on NL.

right now. hmm i am mid point. hoping to start a new job by October.

koko be say.. depression is awful.. words and prayers go dey vex u join. .
the best cure to depression is " having goals and meeting them at ur pace with relative comfort"..

no other solution comes to mind.

right now.. i am protesting against the ban of ponmo.
#teamponmo.. we shall overcome

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by mecuzee(m): 8:56am On Sep 11, 2014
Its true! Some Nigerians suffer from depression. Good news is that I've got the cure! wink
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 8:58am On Sep 11, 2014
If only the Op can take a trip to either aro in Abeokuta or yaba left.
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:58am On Sep 11, 2014
Depression is real. Unfortunately in some cases its sort of hidden and people can't seem to understand why you are depressed. They would go as far as saying you have good things going on for you. It takes someone who is willing to understand your pain.

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Nobody: 8:59am On Sep 11, 2014
Na today? Majority of Nigerians are suffering from depression. The harsh economy itself is depressing, imagine a graduate after spending 4to 6 yrs in the uni and anoda 1yr NYSC then stays at home without a job for years, or anoda graduate earning a meagre 50k as monthly salary and his GF expects him to settle down with her or she leaves. Imagine a student writing jamb and post ume like 5times(thats 5 wasted yrs o). Imagine a father of a family who can not provide basic things for his family and has to live from one loan to the other? All these can cause depression, in case you dont know, most beautiful girls are depressed and lonely.
Life itself isn't fair but believe me, its some worth better in some other countries(e.g canada, australia,Switzerland)

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by dellaziz(m): 8:59am On Sep 11, 2014
FOR MOST OF YOU SAYING YOU ARE SUFFERING FROM DEPRESSION... IT COULD BE WHAT YORUBA'S CALL...... TITA...AKO IGBONA....I.E STRONG TITA...AKO TITA....

IF U BELIEVE FINE..
IF U NO BELIEVE FINE ART

2CENT MIA
Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Cheny(m): 9:00am On Sep 11, 2014
Don't hold on to mundane things firmly and approach the issues of life with d proper perspective or else you become prone to emotional/psychological trauma that can eventually lead to depression when u lose some of these things. Remember, ur mind is a weapon,what you get from it depends on how u channel it. Break ups,loss of loved ones,guilt,fear,consistent doubts,perceived failure,inferiority complex,unhealthy self-esteem, stigmatization, family palava, betrayal,false accusation, being bullied etc are some of the reasons that drive many pple into the chains of depression,self-pity and suicidal thoughts/tendencies. Life is short,life is beautiful and most importantly life is a gift from God ,so don't let external or internal problems deprive u of the joy of being urself. Our emotions if governed properly should work for us and not against us. Never let ur feelings overwhelm u in a negative way,it's risky.
It is natural to be moody occasionally but when ur moodiness persists and agravates to self-pity and then to bouts of depression,it becomes needful to address it.During my NYSC days,a friend opened up to me about his depression challenges, but after telling him the importance of chanelling his thoughts towards a healthy path he discovered that he could manage his feelings properly without succumbing to depression, he became a very cheerful lad and ever since has become a source of hope to sufferers.
The truth is that the secret lies with you,be strong inwardly and be disciplined in your mind,never and never worry over things you cannot control and always rmber it could have been worse.One of my philosophies in life is "never harbour self-pity and don't monopolize worry". So whenever u start sensing those bad feelings about urself,never give in and stand tall on the inside.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Suffer Depression, Really? by Dannieln1: 9:01am On Sep 11, 2014
Just passing. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lagos Distributes 1500 Sterilising Kits To Barbers, Cosmetologists (photos) / Nigerian Man Tackles UK Psychiatric Doctors That Came To Treat Him (vid) / FG Considers Sanction For Nigerians Who Refuse COVID-19 Vaccination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.