Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:51 AM

6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University (57405 Views)

5 Benefits Of Choosing A Private University And Polytechnic / 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 / 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by dryakson(m): 9:34am On Sep 09, 2014
Many Nigerian students these days often move quickly to queue for private universities when
making a choice of institution.

I agree that private universities have advantages like the absence of strike, easy access to
lecturers… Well, that’s about all.

Public universities, federal and state, have a lot of advantages, from cheaper school fees, to the
freedom to be an adult. Public universities expose you to the real world, introduces you to the
hustle of life unlike private universities that consist of a lot of brats who are literally spoon-fed.

They are so pampered, making difficult to face the real world when they become graduates.
So here’s my case for choosing a public university.

1. Public universities allow for freedom and independence:

Students in public universities enjoy the freedom to make decisions for themselves and learn to
be almost independent. Private universities keep students within the four walls of their campuses
and under certain rules more suited for teenagers than young adults. The laws in public
universities are not imposed on the students; they are just the basic principles a normal student
is meant to follow. It’s funny when I see pictures of private university students being punished or
hear of certain rules like compulsory attendance of chapel, feeding time tables, dress codes,
e.t.c​.​ It is absurd; these are adults​!​

2. Cost of education:

It is a lot cheaper to attend public university than a private one and this is not limited to school
fees. Cost of living on public universities is also cheaper. Students cook their own meals and hav​
e access to shops on campus and in town where prices of goods and services are competitive.
On the other hand, the cost of living on a private university secluded campus for one semester is
enough to build a house.

3. Public university g​ives “exposure” to students:

It’s more than obvious that public university students are ”​sharper​”​ than private university
students. Private university students who are often referred to as “JJC” or “Learners” by public
university students, live what I term “the microwave life” which is the easy life.
In federal universities you get to meet all sorts: from cultists to Aristo chicks, people with
different personalities. It makes one exposed to what life really is. One is exposed to the hustle
and learns how to struggle for things. There are still brats in federal universities but most of
them get to grow up when exposed to the hustle.

4. Life on and off campus is FUN:

There are so many parties to attend, clubs and events. One gets to meet real people, one also
learns to be real. There is a lot of gist and gossip, lot of things to laugh at. Rather than chapel,
it’s clubbing. Dating is even fun in federal schools. Couples express love without fear as adults.
One gets to see students that are rich and poor mingling as equals; students who express
themselves through their dressing and not relegated to some uniform.

5. Hard work is compulsory

Students in public universities have work​ed​ through exceptional odds to succeed; challenges that
help one not take life for granted. Imagine a department of over a thousand students with a very
small lecture hall or a lecturer who spends only twenty minutes in a class where he is meant to
spend two hours, or one who only gives handouts. Faced with issues like these, students work
extra hard to come out with well-deserved results.

6. Public universities produce more mature graduates:

With all the challenges: strikes, nonchalant lecturers, freedom to express yourself as adult etc,
public universities are more equipped for life after graduation. They know that things would not
just be handed to them and are used to making decisions for themselves.

https://m.premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/167863-6-reasons-%e2%80%8byou-shouldnt-attend-a-private-university.html

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by benjichuks(m): 9:48am On Sep 09, 2014
Immediately I saw this, I knew it was front page material, so I did the needful and to God be the glory, here I am as the FTC!
For those aspiring to be in my position, well keep on trying, Praying, subscribing for data and commenting, one day you'll reach where I am now. grin

As for the topic, I agree with the OP though not in all of them

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by TeamclicksAir: 9:53am On Sep 09, 2014
crap

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 09, 2014
literally read half page #ItsAlongStory..,.but i think the OP is right in his analysis.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by sirjohnson(m): 9:54am On Sep 09, 2014
Not enough reason not to attend a private uni. Now Click Here to read why you should never go to university at all. Trust me, you actually shouldn't go to university

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by gift01: 9:55am On Sep 09, 2014
Poverty in expressive Action. May the Almighty provide for your generation

123 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 9:55am On Sep 09, 2014
When u c some rules in d so called private university u b like WTF

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by oleary(m): 9:55am On Sep 09, 2014
Somehow true. Being in public university has given me lots of opportunities. Aporoaching 200L at 20 i bought my first multimedia equipment valued at almost 200k after hustling during carnival calabar. Approaching my final year now, i know 80% of what life is.

30 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by eemalex(m): 9:55am On Sep 09, 2014
story
People don't have sense these days to post this kind of crap.

13 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by chidamysy: 9:55am On Sep 09, 2014
k

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by zees(f): 9:56am On Sep 09, 2014
TRUE

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Nobody: 9:56am On Sep 09, 2014
Don't tell me this is another Public vs Private thread sad

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Mordyb: 9:56am On Sep 09, 2014
who is posting this kind of dumbness this morning

9 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by ichommy(m): 9:57am On Sep 09, 2014
#Yinmu, no matter what, i still rep CU home of kings and queens #eagle wink

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Codedrock(m): 9:57am On Sep 09, 2014
well, i am enjoying ma time here at BOWEN university......

27 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by gift01: 9:57am On Sep 09, 2014
taiwolusol: Don't tell me this is another Public vs Private thread sad
the OP is high on something this morning

5 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by lilprinze: 9:57am On Sep 09, 2014
I noticed that most of the students who attend private universities are people who were denied or not given admission into public university or people who did not have a very good result so they have or had no choice other than to go to private Universities half bread is better than none.

119 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Ina2k(m): 9:57am On Sep 09, 2014
OP PLEASE try something better next time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by jnrbayano(m): 9:57am On Sep 09, 2014
This debate is not going to end well.

Op trust me on this.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by jmoore(m): 9:57am On Sep 09, 2014
Why not start from reasons not to attend private primary and secondary schools?

smh

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by pgidex(f): 9:58am On Sep 09, 2014
Not all private schools.......... undecided. If u can't afford their fee just tell us and stop all ds hating. Na book dem send u go read nor b 2 go catch fun u hear tongue

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by smallvilletolu(m): 9:58am On Sep 09, 2014
.....who wan buy space na two i book

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by 9jahubcom(m): 9:58am On Sep 09, 2014
wahala
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Dygeasy(m): 9:58am On Sep 09, 2014
I'd rather go get an international degree than attend a private University in Nigeria.

One major advantage of private Universities is the connection you get to get as you'd meet with kids of the elite from all walks of life.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by smallvilletolu(m): 9:58am On Sep 09, 2014
..//
Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by 9jahubcom(m): 9:58am On Sep 09, 2014
jnrbayano: This debate is not going to end well.

Op trust me on this.
help me tell am

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Hemanwel(m): 9:59am On Sep 09, 2014
OP,you mean '6 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Glorified Secondary School' ??

Naturally,I see people who opt for a private university as academically inferior to their public university counterparts....
After paying huge sums of money as school fees for four years (in the case of a 4-year course),the school authority cannot afford not to graduate the student even if he/she gallivanted throughout his/her stay in the institution.

11 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by luvly101: 9:59am On Sep 09, 2014
Almost pointless.

Probably, when you attend all Private and Public Schools, you will understand they're not all same.

For your debate, I give you 2/10 cool

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by JENMAUCY(f): 9:59am On Sep 09, 2014
Totally agree with you , op

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by Ezeibe(m): 9:59am On Sep 09, 2014
Space bookers association of nairaland....

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University by tdayof(m): 9:59am On Sep 09, 2014
OP make it 6 reasons you shouldn't attend some private universities or 6 reasons you shouldn't attend private universities in Nigeria!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

How We Are Punished In Nigerian Secondary & Primary Schools (Photos) / Lady Mocked By Her Friends Who Graduated Before Her, 2 Years Later This Happened / NUC Lists Universities Approved For Postgraduate Programmes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.