Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:08 PM

Latest Ubuntu 8.10 Code Name Intrepid Ibex Out Today - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Latest Ubuntu 8.10 Code Name Intrepid Ibex Out Today (1708 Views)

/ 8) 10 Amazing Futuristic Computers 8) / Ubuntu Linux (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Latest Ubuntu 8.10 Code Name Intrepid Ibex Out Today by bigrovar(m): 4:13am On Oct 30, 2008
6 months after a successful Release of its second Long Term support release. Ubuntu stepped up the gear again  with the release of the latest version of its very popular free and open source operating system. Ubuntu 8.10 aka Intrepid Ibex would be released later today. i have downloaded and installed the beta and so far its been smooth. the latest version of ubuntu comes with a number of improvements such as

Features
3G Support

For constant connectivity public WiFi has limitations. Improvements to the network manager in Ubuntu 8.10 makes it simple to detect and connect to 3G networks and manage connectivity. This connectivity is delivered through an inbuilt 3G modem, through 'dongle' support, through a mobile phone or through Bluetooth. It is a complex environment that Ubuntu 8.10 simplifies through a single interface and the auto-detection of many of the most popular devices.

Tab support for Folders
Nautilus the Filemanager for ubuntu now has ability to enable you open folders in tabs, just has it is done with most web browsers.
Write Ubuntu to and Install from a USB Drive

Ubuntu has been made available to users as an image for CDs and DVDs to date. But CDs and DVDs are slower, less portable and less convenient than USB sticks. Now, a simple application in Ubuntu will allow users to write Ubuntu to a USB drive, even a modified version of Ubuntu with their data on it, so it can be carried everywhere to plug in and use on any machine.
Guest Sessions

In a world of 'always on' pervasive computing it is more likely that users lend their computers to colleagues or friends at conferences, cafes or at parties so they can check email, etc. Guest sessions allow users to lock down a session easily so a guest can use the full system without interference with programs or data.
BBC Content

Starting the media players within Ubuntu (Totem Movie Player and Rhythmbox) launches a menu of selected content from the broadcaster that is free to air. This is a mixture of video, radio and podcasts and available in high quality, much of it playable using non-proprietary codecs. Content is constantly updated via the corporation's stream and will vary dependent on location, though some content will be available for every user.
Latest Gnome 2.24 Desktop Environment*

The GNOME desktop environment project releases its latest version which is incorporated into Ubuntu 8.10. New features include a new instant messaging client, a built-in time tracker, , improved file management and toolbars plus better support for multiple monitor use with the ability to set screen resolution by monitor.

lots of impovement under the hood like the new linux kernel Linux kernel 2.6.27 a significant release with better hardware support and numerous bug-fixes.

X.Org 7.4

X.Org 7.4, the latest stable version of X.Org, is available in Intrepid. This release brings much better support for hot-pluggable input devices such as tablets, keyboards, and mice. At the same time this will allow the great majority of users to run without a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. A new failsafe X is introduced, to give better tools for troubleshooting X startup failures.
* X.org is the GUI engine for Ubuntu and most Unix based operating system.

once released (later today) ubuntu 8.10 can be downloaded here  http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu .
for does with little bandwidth and wont be able to download Ubuntu you can request a free copy here  https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ and a free copy would be delivered to you door step in say 2 weeks time.

Re: Latest Ubuntu 8.10 Code Name Intrepid Ibex Out Today by samir101ng(m): 4:18pm On Oct 30, 2008
Thanks bigbrovar. Actually i have been following the release for the past week. I even checked the site around 12am yesterday but they had not released it yet. I have a question please, is it true that the linux kernel or the gnome or kde desktops have been steadily getting bigger and resource hungry. I think i read it somewhere but i cant remember actually where that they have started getting bloated and are now sacrificing their speed and consume more system resources. Thanks.
Re: Latest Ubuntu 8.10 Code Name Intrepid Ibex Out Today by bigrovar(m): 8:33pm On Oct 30, 2008

Thanks bigbrovar. Actually i have been following the release for the past week. I even checked the site around 12am yesterday but they had not released it yet.

well ubuntu release sont usually happen over night , it takes time to update all the mirrors around the world and to make sure that all the last minute bugs are ironed out before the official release is pushed out. so on a whole expect a release to come around noon (nigerian time ) on release day.

I have a question please, is it true that the linux kernel or the gnome or kde desktops have been steadily getting bigger and resource hungry. I
think i read it somewhere but i can't remember actually where that they have started getting bloated and are now sacrificing their speed and consume more system resources. Thanks.

compared to earlier version yeah gnome,kde and even the linux kernel has added more fat. this is necessary because of the new improvements and extra line of codes that are added everyday to improve the stability of the general usage of the LInux . things like compiz fusion desktop effects,more hardware driver support, like improved wireless support etc makes the linux OS even more user friendly improving over all user experience. however it should be noted that even though the various modules that make up the linux desktop like gnome tools and kde and even the linux kernel have picked up a little more fat over the years, its still very slim compared to a windows OS or the Mac . that is why even ubuntu seen by many to be a fat distribution by linux standard would work perfectly on a celeron based laptop with 356 or ram.

also it should be noted that linux is very modular and easy to slim down. for example u can download ubuntu and use it with a GUI interface that is light and has a small memory footprint on hardware like XFCE or LXDE or FLUXBOX OR ICEWM, etc are example of user interfaces that would make a P3 run like a core 2 duo , so u dont have to use the gnome and kde of this world.if there would be too heavy for your hardware.
Re: Latest Ubuntu 8.10 Code Name Intrepid Ibex Out Today by flyuche(m): 3:44pm On Oct 31, 2008
I have downloaded the ISO file. I will give it a try. I am taking some tutorials on linux now.
Re: Latest Ubuntu 8.10 Code Name Intrepid Ibex Out Today by ExInferis(m): 2:31pm On Nov 01, 2008
here.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Does A Toshiba (laptop) Battery Cost? / Omatek Laptop better than HP product / Laptop Won't Charge Or Turn On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.