Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” (45190 Views)

EU Ban On Nigerian Food Exports / FG Plans To Ban Fertiliser Importation / FG Set To End Importation Of Processed Tomato Paste (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by iterator25: 4:36pm On Sep 09, 2014
Federal Government may have concluded plans to ban sale and widespread consumption of hides and skins(PONMON)which is a delicacy to most Nigerians.

This indication emerged Tuesday when the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr. Akinwunmi Adesina called for competent regulations that would check the consumption and sale of the product.

He said this at the 3rd joint anniversary of Animal Science Association of Nigeria (ASAN) and Nigeria Institute of Animal Science held at the University of Ibadan.

If this is achieved, he noted that livestock farmers would stand good chances of making high dollar return if the hides and skins are tanned into leather.

The minister who was represented at the occasion by the Director, Animal Production and Husbandry in the Ministry, Dr. Ademola Raji, said, ”I also commend NIAS for its advocacy and public enlightenment programs on Radio and Television that promote value addition in Livestock, as against sale and consumption of primary products alone, particularly with the issue of curtailing the widespread consumption of hides and skins as PONMON which ought to be tanned into leather for a very high dollar return to the farmer and Tanneries. I expect that competent regulations acceptable by all stakeholders will be developed so as to give credibility that our set standards for food safety are being implemented which will boost value addition.”

The theme of the programme was entitled, “Value Addition in the Nigerian Livestock Industry: A strategy for Economic Growth and Stakeholders Empowerment”.

The minister stressed that FG would continue to drive its Agricultural Transformation Agenda with increased vigour in all its ramifications, pleading for continuous support and cooperation of all stakeholders in the livestock sector to deliver the benefits.

He said,”I am confident that the satisfactory production levels achieved in the poultry and swine segments will soon stretch to reach other commodities such as beef, dairy, micro livestock and animal by products such as leather, bones, hides and skins.

The drive to turn Agriculture into business and not merely a way of life is now in full gear, with the use of mobile phones and e- wallet for input distribution directly to farmers, farmer’s registration with biometric identity cards and the Growth Enhancement Support scheme.

We have all seen the revolution in Rice production and processing; in cassava, sorghum and cotton that have increased output per hectare, through the supply of high quality raw materials to revive industries that have hitherto closed down.”

Food production, he said, rose in 2013 by 8 million metric tonnes over 2012 figures which represents over 70% growth of the target set for 2015 by Government.

“In 2012, 264,000 hectares of dry season paddy rice cultivated in the Northern states alone yielded 1.1 million metric tonnes.” he added.

Speaking earlier, NIAS President, Professor Placid Njoku, applauded the Federal government for tackling the deadly Ebola virus disease, noting that the institute would encourage its members to undertake visionary studies aimed at producing popular bush meat in the country in ”intensive ,hygienic and Ebola disease free environment.”

www.vanguardngr.com/2014/09/fg-set-ban-hides-skin-ponmon/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by iterator25: 4:37pm On Sep 09, 2014
my people, the end of ponmo consumption is nigh ..

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by kilokeys(m): 4:38pm On Sep 09, 2014
haba... ponmo.. we no go gree.

Government sha.. always reasoning with dem anus.. they never think things through.

before u make such laws have u made alternatives?

how many tanning facilities do we have atm?
or mKe dem spread am for sun as we don dey do since 1843?

small time una go ban offals( rounbadout, abodi, shaki and co.)

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by bbdexk: 4:42pm On Sep 09, 2014
Bad news for ponmo eaters and ponmo sellers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by mistudreh(m): 4:42pm On Sep 09, 2014
BringBackOurPonmon#
BringBackOurPonmon#
BringBackOurPonmon#
BringBackOurPonmon#

108 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 09, 2014
Heard this 2yrs ago. Ban the damn thing already. We should be producing and exporting leather instead of eating kpomo that has been smoked with burning tyres.

30 Likes

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Nobody: 4:49pm On Sep 09, 2014
Make dem no try am o! If dem try am....

#teampomounited#

grin grin

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by BOAR: 4:57pm On Sep 09, 2014
You just can't unilaterally ban the consumption of such delicacy.

10 Likes

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by sammieguze(m): 4:58pm On Sep 09, 2014
just a joke am sure.

Just another avenue to spoke the poor people.

Is leather the only thing exportable in the country?

What has they done on the wide array of mineral resources lying fallow in the country?

Abeg abeg.... If na joke, make them stop am o.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by PointB: 5:07pm On Sep 09, 2014
Great idea.

Pommo have little or no nutritional value. Harnessing it's income potential is a right course. I also agree that cattle farmers will be better for it. I see more people becoming cattle farmer. Perhaps it's time to become a ranch owner!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by dridowu: 5:17pm On Sep 09, 2014
ponmon to ko beje. Anyway good for the farmer as it will increase their income but bad news for ponmon eater like me.

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by atlwireles: 5:20pm On Sep 09, 2014
Any attempt to ban Cannda/ Pommo is DOA.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by ednut1(m): 5:27pm On Sep 09, 2014
Dr. Akinwunmi Adesina what ever you are smoking continue, i want to believe he was misquoted angry

28 Likes

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Vstuffs(m): 5:28pm On Sep 09, 2014
Seriously FG are real comedies

Ban ponmo.....na fight be that...they want make all those ponmo sellers do protest abi

11 Likes

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Nobody: 5:28pm On Sep 09, 2014
POMO is of No nutritional value, I don't know why peeps eat that “thing” to start with. A very healthy and agricultural move by the federal government.

angry angry

TMan.

14 Likes

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by nickz(m): 5:28pm On Sep 09, 2014
what!!! shocked shocked shocked
*draws out machete* angry angry

that means i need to switch to babe wey get 'ponmo lips' cos i must continue to dey chop ponmo angry angry

9 Likes

World War 3 go happen be that.

Na poor man chicken meat dem dey carry play abi?

5 Likes

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by 190theclown: 5:28pm On Sep 09, 2014
Hold on let me call Goodluck undecided

44 Likes 1 Share

Seems like one sharp government guy now has the official contract to solely supply ponmo to Nigerians.

Economists in the house will understand this comment

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by constance500: 5:28pm On Sep 09, 2014
Are they high undecided
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Odunharry(m): 5:28pm On Sep 09, 2014
Fg is high on excreta

it doesnt stop us 4m eating Kpomo
chaii,nothing lyk kpomo make pepper or stew dn enta insyde

#kpomoLovers association

34 Likes 5 Shares

I'm ready to go to jail for it grin

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Firefire(m): 5:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
undecided
Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by CoCoLav(f): 5:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
Chisos!

1 Like

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by overhypedsteve(m): 5:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
You cant just ban ponmo. What did ponmo do?

44 Likes

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by bidexolumanish(m): 5:29pm On Sep 09, 2014
God no go gree for dem plan,ban ponmo ke

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by MizMyColi(f): 5:30pm On Sep 09, 2014
For whatever reason that might be:

My Humble contribution is
Nooooooooooooo!!!!

That is "meat" to me cry
embarassed

Btw are the livestock Farmers & Butchers complaining of selling kponmo to us? angry

FG, projecting selfish interests since time imo river undecided undecided

16 Likes

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by priscaoge(f): 5:30pm On Sep 09, 2014
It's a joke abi? Wetin dey wan make I use de chop my Abacha(African Saladgrin) and Ugba?undecidedundecided

Or is there any replacement?

3 Likes

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 09, 2014
I remember a class mate of mine from Ethiopia asking me if it is true we eat shoes and belts in Nigeria, that someone told him we eat hides in Naija.

Apart from the fact that "ponmon" is cheap, any nutritional value?

5 Likes

Re: FG Set To Ban Hides And Skin “ponmon” by akpanikpe(m): 5:31pm On Sep 09, 2014
Ok

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A Nigerian Farmer Displays His Harvested Cassava From His Farm, Hails Buhari / My Goat Gave Birth To A Premature Kid / What Kind Of Sickness Is This On My Chicken? (Disturbing Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.