Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,772 members, 7,806,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University (34273 Views)

7 Benefits Of Attending A Public University / Edo University, Iyamo, Most Expensive Public University In Nigeria (Pics / Is FUNAAB, Abeokuta The Most Beautiful Public University Campus In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by fyneboi79(m): 8:14am On Sep 10, 2014
OduntanGabriel: This is a counter thread to what was written by a fellow nairalander.

Here are the 6 reasons why I attending a private university is good for you.

1)Conducive Environment : When you look at some government owned universities,you wonder if this is actually a secondary school or what? The government of nigeria doesn't really show much concerns to their schools but private university believes that a conducive environment is very essential for learning. When you go to private universities for a tour , you don't feel like leaving there, they have things in place for learning. You see student of public university overcrowded(receiving lectures through the window or standing @ the door) how do you learn in this environment,with so much heat thanks to the over population.

2)COST: Yea, I know you do be surprised I said cost. Private universities are expensive, you don't expect education to be cheap. The are expensive because they give you value for money. I leave you with the slogan which says if education is expensive try ignorance.

3)CONNECTION: No matter how rich a man is,if he doesn't have connection,he's useless. Private universities creates an avenue for you to meet the sons and daughters of the rich and powerful men in our societies. The Dangotes and otedolas have their sons ,daughters, nephew etc in this so called private universities and this can easily elevate you. Being a scholar does not guarantee you an employment opportunity in our society except you are connected. Isn't it a good thing to be dinning and winning with the crème de la crème of society? Answer me

4)SECURITY: Our public schools are not safe,not even safe for the lecturers not to talk of the students. Many student have lost their lives to this game called Cultism (even the innocent ones). Some lecturers who refuse to dance to the tune of this so called school prefects have kicked the bucket. What is the essence of making a 1st class in public universities and on your graduation day or final exam ,you get wasted. Abraham Maslow's listed 5 hierarchy of needs and SAFETY is one of it. Our Public universities are not safe for learning

5) STRIKE ACTION: OMG, why would a 4years course becomes 6years without any extra years or carry over? Strike has been one of the main problem facing the education system in nigeria. Some people entered the university @ the age of 25 with the hope of finishing a 4 years course but due to strike actions the finished at the age of 31 and couldn't go for their youth service because they are above 30years. In a private university, you know when you are graduating except the student failed some courses which lead to extra years.

6) Discipline: There is discipline in private university, you don't slap your lecturer, you don't threaten your fellow colleague. You don't run away from lecturers,you don't receive calls while having lectures, all because you want to party or flex. Remember , the main reason you are in school is too learn. Private university instill discipline on their student unlike public university.
Your grammar is quite poor for a student who attended a private university. This is another reason not to do so,cos ‎u won't have the chance to actually rub minds with d movers and shakers of JAMB grin

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Padipadi(m): 8:16am On Sep 10, 2014
Anyi3: lol I smell blood
you get ebola?
Why ya nose dey ooze blood?

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by goodygirl1(f): 8:19am On Sep 10, 2014
This is horrible....we all know the quality of private universities is low compared to a public uni....can u compare a lead city graduate with an OAU graduate....abeggi...ebola no be HIV mate!!!....just passing by tho...

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Sibrah: 8:20am On Sep 10, 2014
kristylopezz: When I saw this thread. .I laughed out loud. Op trying to console himself. You just can't fight it. Even my best friend knows that. After trying several times to gain admission into any of the public unis, even as brilliant as she is. She just had to settle for one of these glorified secondary schools in the name of uni.
When I asked her why? Her response was ''my dear wetin I go do na, I don tire''
As wealthy as I am and as wealthy as I will be. My children must attend public university. At least to stop them from reasoning like this op.
There are private schools and there are public schools. The private schools are fully regulated by public school grads, so whichever way you spin it, it still comes back to where Mr. OP left it. Give it up please.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by chocmanne(m): 8:20am On Sep 10, 2014
well, don't know what to say cos i attended a public/private partnership uni..... anyways it's all story for the gods.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Enasco1(m): 8:21am On Sep 10, 2014
Gee001: The other day 50 reasons not to attend a private university, today more reasons not to attend a public university. Please which one should we attend now?
hahahahaha u re right with ur question. Should we stop @ d secondary skul level??
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:21am On Sep 10, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Ya think?

Some of what he wrote there makes sense...especially the funding aspect.

The fact is our public universities will soon be overtaken by the private universties in the near future unless Govt makes hard changes in funding for public universities either by

1.Increasing funding for education by putting 26% of the budget into education

2.Making universities public-private partnerships

3.Increasing fees.

4.Rooting out corruption in the universities

5.Improving technical education.....most people in Unis would benefit from a good technical education,and get jobs even. In Germany, at the age of 14, you have a choice between paid apprenticeships, or going on to higher education. We could do the same in Nigeria....but unfortunately, we want university education for the prestige, and not for the knowledge.(Meanwhile....we lack trained and qualified technicians....who really are the folks who keep our economy working.)

6.Get off oil....and become an industrial economy.....so that we can have the resources.....via tax....to keep our education system running.
Could you prove how the "better" funding private universities get over the public ones has given them an edge? Have you ever heard of a graduate of a private university toping his class in a postgraduate class? How many of their first class graduates won the FG scholarship?

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by justineu(m): 8:22am On Sep 10, 2014
Why would d Op compare private unis wit public
Public unis dat goes on strike more than dier normal yrs in schl.
They begg for lecturers to lecture dem, sumtyms the lecturers attend lectures 4 tymes in a semestr and expect student to ds remainin.
Graduate @ the age of 29,finish nysc 31 and blame the cause to d govt.
Attends parties more dan lectures..

And u don't expect nigeria to graduate half baked graduate?

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Adedayo516(m): 8:24am On Sep 10, 2014
Take this scenario.... A UI and Covenant University student are both vying for a job... They both pass the first test, the second, and then the third.. With both of them locked on points... As an employer which of them would you give the employment too??

As an employer, I wouldn't think twice before giving the job to the...........
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by leonard509(m): 8:24am On Sep 10, 2014
OduntanGabriel:

1)Conducive Environment : When you look at some government owned universities,you wonder if this is actually a secondary school or what? The government of nigeria doesn't really show much concerns to their schools but private university believes that a conducive environment is very essential for learning. When you go to private universities for a tour , you don't feel like leaving there, they have things in place for learning. You see student of public university overcrowded(receiving lectures through the window or standing @ the door) how do you learn in this environment,with so much heat thanks to the over population.

2)COST: Yea, I know you do be surprised I said cost. Private universities are expensive, you don't expect education to be cheap. The are expensive because they give you value for money. I leave you with the slogan which says if education is expensive try ignorance.

4)SECURITY: Our public schools are not safe,not even safe for the lecturers not to talk of the students. Many student have lost their lives to this game called Cultism (even the innocent ones). Some lecturers who refuse to dance to the tune of this so called school prefects have kicked the bucket. What is the essence of making a 1st class in public universities and on your graduation day or final exam ,you get wasted. Abraham Maslow's listed 5 hierarchy of needs and SAFETY is one of it. Our Public universities are not safe for learning

5) STRIKE ACTION: OMG, why would a 4years course becomes 6years without any extra years or carry over? Strike has been one of the main problem facing the education system in nigeria. Some people entered the university @ the age of 25 with the hope of finishing a 4 years course but due to strike actions the finished at the age of 31 and couldn't go for their youth service because they are above 30years. In a private university, you know when you are graduating except the student failed some courses which lead to extra years.

6) Discipline: There is discipline in private university, you don't slap your lecturer, you don't threaten your fellow colleague. You don't run away from lecturers,you don't receive calls while having lectures, all because you want to party or flex. Remember , the main reason you are in school is too learn. Private university instill discipline on their student unlike public university.
go to Futminna ,walk round Bosso nd Gidan kwano ,when ur done come back to ur thread And make corrections..

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 10, 2014
Hmmmm.....so many 'public' haters. Go to whichever u like nd stop cuttin up each other. If u like...go to a publicly owned private school like uni-ilorin......or a privately owned public school like lead-city. Man wey go pass go pass.....failures will everly fail!

Abeg who see my goat jare....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Toluchenko(m): 8:33am On Sep 10, 2014
Hello everyone!! I'm d newest guy on here.
Wishing myself a nice time on NL.
Guess u all wish me d same.
Peace!!!
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 10, 2014
OduntanGabriel: This is a counter thread to what was written by a fellow nairalander.

Here are the 6 reasons why I attending a private university is good for you.

3)CONNECTION: No matter how rich a man is,if he doesn't have connection,he's useless. Private universities creates an avenue for you to meet the sons and daughters of the rich and powerful men in our societies. The Dangotes and otedolas have their sons ,daughters, nephew etc in this so called private universities and this can easily elevate you. Being a scholar does not guarantee you an employment opportunity in our society except you are connected. Isn't it a good thing to be dinning and winning with the crème de la crème of society? Answer me

And you are still posting your poo on a website created by a public university graduate? grin LOL

5 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 10, 2014
OrlandoOwoh:
Could you prove how the "better" funding private universities get over the public ones has given them an edge? Have you ever heard of a graduate of a private university toping his class in a postgraduate class? How many of their first class graduates won the FG scholarship?

Yes...it is still early days yet.....and our public universities would be much better if they had improved funding.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by osho3mtech(f): 8:36am On Sep 10, 2014
Its so painful that Those who go to public universities can not afford the fees standard of living, class of a private university. A good Private university will give u a sound quality education. With theoritical, practical and technical skills. Private unis are (New generation unis) no old structures, lab materials, old class room. Most public universities are known for structures and past glory with outdated professors. Who is supposed to hv retired some ten years ago. And allow young vibrant profs execise dier duties. it is obvious that dos prof and drs will end up frustrating their students. In public unis. So why will u go fall a prey to such act?

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by ochiosa(m): 8:37am On Sep 10, 2014
kudoxs: 90percent of them failed utme and couldn't cope with the struggle to be one of the chosen out off millions that vie to gain admission into public universities.
must one struggle for everything? You and I knows that 70% of those admitted into public universities paid for it.

4 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by youngguru23(m): 8:39am On Sep 10, 2014
k niggas via Waec Gce Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa Obj
& Theory Answers 2014/2015 |
Myshoolsinfo - http://myschoolsinfo.com/forum2_theme_111395442.xhtml?tema=6
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by idu1(m): 8:41am On Sep 10, 2014
gen2briz: OP did you really mention discipline....... You got to be kidding me
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by tbest0213(m): 8:43am On Sep 10, 2014
i graduated from one of the best public fedral university of technology, to be frank and truthful private university is the best and they settle down to teach u and lecturers knows you buy name most time in private universities though they still have spoilt brats in there too but u speak and meet good reasonable friends, is just that is expensive, pls lemme me ask a question "if they drop range rover and benz 230 pls wch 1 will you choose?" Men i will go for the expensive one. Just becus i don't have money for it then i will manage benz 230 and work hard to excell wen I'm out to labour market... Sorry to say but all my kids will attend the best private universities

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by osho3mtech(f): 8:44am On Sep 10, 2014
Most students in public universities don't and will never know that as a student u hv ur right in the class room, lab, lib or where ever. But dey will keep on dying in silent becos of the "cheap article mentality" note some public universities re rendering cheap quality of education becos they re underfunded, poorly funded or funds re being diverted to mr unknowns account. ( Nigerian leadership mentality). This is not scholarship we re talking about hear.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by kudoxs(m): 8:44am On Sep 10, 2014
ochiosa: must one struggle for everything? You and I knows that 70% of those admitted into public universities paid for it.
that's not true, u may say 50% got in thru connection and I'll agree wit u.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Pasca07: 8:45am On Sep 10, 2014
goodygirl1: This is horrible....we all know the quality of private universities is low compared to a public uni....can u compare a lead city graduate with an OAU graduate....abeggi...ebola no be HIV mate!!!....just passing by tho...
lol,sharap 80 percent of OAU lecturers devote 70 percent of their time at lead city compare to OAU......

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by careema(f): 8:45am On Sep 10, 2014
yorex2011: Have you sat down to ask yourself.. The owners of these private universities.. Where did they study during their time?... You talk about connection.. Isnt that why we have so many incompetent people in places of authority.. Believe me.. If u are good at wat you do... Your brain takes u places, not connection..

Need i remind you that most private universities in nigeria are owned by organization. How many people in the place of authority went to private university? they either studied abroad or federal school. Igbinedion University was founded 1999 and thats the first private university in nigeria.
you are decieving yourself if you think your brain takes you places not connection. Gone are those days where brain takes you places, if brain actually takes you places then no first class graduate will be unemployed.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 10, 2014
Chidinho10: Most students in private universities are students that failed JAMB.
gospel bitter truth

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by mrmatt(m): 8:45am On Sep 10, 2014
1 We learn fast under pressure. 2 Most girls in private uni can't cook. 3 most private uni graduates find it hard to cope with office pressure 4 U get what u give in private uni. One parent will pay 50000k and accept a third class frm the skul. 5 private uni students lack respect for their lecturer...
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by mrmatt(m): 8:47am On Sep 10, 2014
1 We learn fast under pressure. 2 Most girls in private uni can't cook. 3 most private uni graduates find it hard to cope with office pressure 4 U get what u give in private uni. No parent will pay 50000k and accept a third class from the skul. 5 private uni students lack respect for their lecturers...
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by careema(f): 8:48am On Sep 10, 2014
coded80: The labour market has change,employer will not Ask u whether u atend a pivate or a public university,it depend on ur own ability,d way u develop urself.

And private university graduates are winning in that regard.
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by snadguy007(m): 8:48am On Sep 10, 2014
Titiluvly: I've been waiting for this thread...finally..grin
Your opinion
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by Funjosh(m): 8:48am On Sep 10, 2014
Chidinho10: Most students in private universities are students that failed JAMB.

E.O.Q and E.O.D cool
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by careema(f): 8:49am On Sep 10, 2014

[s]Do you passing jamb mean you are brilliant?[/s]

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by snadguy007(m): 8:50am On Sep 10, 2014
WATCH OUT FOR 10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULDN'T ATTEND A UNIVERSITY
Re: 6 Reasons Not To Attend A Public University by careema(f): 8:51am On Sep 10, 2014
kudoxs: 90percent of them failed utme and couldn't cope with the struggle to be one of the chosen out off millions that vie to gain admission into public universities.

What is the essence of being chosen? You still rely on being one of the chosen when you graduate too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

FUOYE Bans Students From Using Cars On Campus (pics) / How Yabatech Students Sat For A Test / 5 Common Wildlife Misconceptions You Should Do Away With(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.