Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) (16820 Views)

My Last Day In School (complete story) / Nairaland E-workshop And Nairaland Writers Award: How Do We Improve? / Nairaland E-workshop For Writers---Comment Thread--Day1(Sept30) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 2:05pm On Sep 30, 2014
Divepen:
@ Tex...
Please answer any Question directed to you.

@Larrysun, i'm sorry about that. If we want viewers here, we will have to make this frontpage, but initially I do not want many comment to spoil what we want to do here, and that will deter this thread from getting to the front page.
If this thread goes to the front page, and people see that they cant comment, someone will be forced to comment and the essence of itz making fp will be useless.
So that is why that thread had to be closed,sir.
I still don't think closing that thread is a good idea; but we'll talk about that later, I don't want to derail.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 30, 2014
Hmmm...
26 Minutes to go...
Ppl whr r ur questions
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 2:06pm On Sep 30, 2014
I'll just drop it all and see what happens. "Where's that crazy eyes smilie Seun?"

So let's get to it.

Why do we write poetry?

Of course one can use poetry to express personal feelings. Many poets write about events and emotions that happen to them personally. Poetry can be used to communicate ideas, feelings, ideologies, and explain any number of concepts.

In the link above the poetry in the videos, was used to bring attention to issues that many of us have faced or may face in our lifetime. Poetry can be a nonthreatening, even humorous way to introduce controversial topics, to get a dialogue going. It's a way of saying, "Hey, look what's happening here, and what can we do about it?" Poetry can inspire action, and can change apathetic attitudes.

Poetry can move people into action. It can paint pictures that call people to hope for the best, aspire to bigger and better things, and be more than they are. Poetry can create change. It can remind us of who we are, who we would like to be, and where we are headed.

A type of poetry almost everyone in the world has heard at least once is a song. Songs can change your mood. Don't we all have songs we listen to when we are sad, mad, happy glad, or in love. They build our courage, help say what we can't, make us happy, or keep us company when we are sad.

Some poetry simply makes one think. I love these poems, because it doesn't really matter what they are about. The important thing is what they mean to you.

As for me, I write for many reasons. Sometimes it's just to get something off my chest, or to help me deal with a certain situation. Other times, an idea pops into my head, and I can't get it out till it's written, typed or voiced.

One day while I was driving the image of an angel in full battle gear and a expansive wingspan popped into my head while I was driving. I couldn't stop to write or type all the ideas running through my mind, so I picked up my phone and started a voice note. All the way to my destination ideas rolled off my tongue. I loved the storyline, and the words just seemed to flow so smoothly once I started. It was to become an epic narrative poem. I started writing it in my NL diary. The tsunami washed it out to sea, never to be seen again. I was so sad to see it go. It was one of my faves.

I wrote this one day thinking about my creative process, if I really have one.

Some things, which weigh heavily on my mind, are difficult to raise. Many times emotions flood my consciousness, and make dredging laborious. The content that lurks deep within can get mired down in the depths of my imagination. Other times they are like flotsam and jetsam. Floating on the surface where I can simply scoop them up, as I search through the wreckage for surviving ideation. Then, with careful introspection, the allegory will emerge. I hope the latter is the case. Either way, rescue is the objective.

Unfortunately, these lost thoughts, these swirling eddies in my mind, can be inescapably caught by the rip tides beneath. They can be dragged away forever, if not reached in time. Occasionally they surface later. These poor creatures wash up onto the beach. They are beaten and blooded by sharp coral, and other critters who are also fighting for the surface. Once they make it to shore, I pick them up, clean them off, and the voyage begins again. We pray the passage is tempest free, and the sun shines on our faces. With the wind at our backs, and the Lord beside us, we set our sails again. The hope of clear skies and placid waters on our minds and in our hearts.

Tex

If you've never written a poem, give it a try. You don't have to know what iambic pentameter is or even know how to rhyme. Here's an easy formula to get you started.

ABAB
A=the last word in your fist line.
B=the last word in your second line.
A=Rhymes with last word in your first line.
B=Rhymes with the last word in your second line.

Example:

Rush
by Tex

Every time I think of you,
My face lights up for all to see.
It turns a rosy hue
And there are butterflies in my tummy.

Just your voice sets my thighs all a quiver,
And my mind begins to muddle.
The very thought of you gives me a shiver,
And your kiss melts me into a puddle.

When my phone pings,
It is your face on the screen, I hope.
Suddenly, my heart has wings,
And the world becomes a kaleidoscope.

Such wit and charm
Are enough to turn a girls head.
My heart beats a tattoo of alarm,
But surely there is no harm, I said.

ABBA
ABCA
AABB
ABAC

There is any number of combinations. If you can't think of a word that rhymes just Google it. (Clear) "what rhymes wit clear?" Choose a few words you think you can work with and 'viola'!

Pick a pattern and become a poet today! Show us your handy work on here

https://www.nairaland.com/1894650/poet-why-write#26150075

Poems can inspire, entertain, teach, or simply make us think. I'm hoping some of you will bring your poems to my "are you a poet thread" and if you will...Please explain why you wrote it, and what it means to you.

If anyone has any questions for me about anything I've said above, or any of my poems feel free to ask. This is the link to my poetry thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/1501631/random-ramblings-mind-tex#19248918

Thanks. I had to take every reference to the comment thread out and retyp some of this just now. I hope it makes sense.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 2:08pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: I still don't think closing that thread is a good idea; but we'll talk about that later, I don't want to derail.
Ok Sir!!!
@ Oma4U, yes boss...Please I will suggest we all click on the report link and write recommended for Frontpage..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 30, 2014
Wow....
Everything want to turn to a disorganised state but we are still shaking this place...
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 2:14pm On Sep 30, 2014
Texanomaly, from the minute information you gave about poetry, I'll like to know if rap is poetry. If yes, then I still don't understand the significance of talking very fast when you can pass the message in a clearer articulation.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 2:20pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: Texanomaly, from the minute information you gave about poetry, I'll like to know if rap is poetry. If yes, then I still don't understand the significance of talking very fast when you can pass the message in a clearer articulation.

Yes. Rap is definitely poetry. Take a popular rap song and read the lyrics. I don't listen to a lot of Rap, but those who do take it very seriously, and many relate to it. Just because it is not your "cup of tea" does not mean it has no relevance to others. Mynd44 drops some interesting Rap lyrics in his diary.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 2:25pm On Sep 30, 2014
@LarrySun

Try this. It's more "E" for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QMJDUOXQ10&autoplay=1
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 2:26pm On Sep 30, 2014
Texanomaly, I don't fully agree with this. It seems you're mincing spoken word poetry/slam with rap music. Though spoken word poetry can be recited slowly or fast, it's still not the same as rap.

I've attended few spoken word poetry events and I've watched many of it's videos. Spoken word poetry, whether fast or slow, still evokes emotions rap music may likely not.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 2:29pm On Sep 30, 2014
Can i post here?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 2:30pm On Sep 30, 2014
SammyHoe, I want to know if a phrase, or perhaps a whole sentence, can be branded. For I recall that, when we were kids, we used to brand names of popular drinks, Albania negatively. Some of them include:

FANTA: F**lish Americans Never Taste Amala

GULDER: Girls Under Love Deserve Extra Romance

STAR: Some Teenagers Are Randy

LIMCA: Let Indians Make Camels Aroused

grin There are so many which, unfortunately, are way too prurient.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by timpaker(m): 2:33pm On Sep 30, 2014
Great job guys!!!
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 2:33pm On Sep 30, 2014
OMA4U: Texanomaly, I don't fully agree with this. It seems you're mincing spoken word poetry/slam with rap music. Though spoken word poetry can be recited slowly or fast, it's still not the same as rap.

I've attended few spoken word poetry events and I've watched many of it's videos. Spoken word poetry, whether fast or slow, still evokes emotions rap music may likely not.

Tell that to the child that sleeps on the floor, because he's less likely to catch a stray bullet there. Tell that to the kid who never knew his father, because he was killed in a drive-by. Tell that to the mother who is burying her 3rd child. Tell that to the child who is afraid to walk to school. Not everyone in this world can be reached by soft rock, or soft, sweet melodies. Some people need a place were they can relate. We never know the place in the heart where poetry comes from, or how it affects others.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 2:36pm On Sep 30, 2014
@ Good writeup...yap, epic narrative poem! What is an epic and a narrative poem?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 2:36pm On Sep 30, 2014
texanomaly:

Yes. Rap is definitely poetry. Take a popular rap song and read the lyrics. I don't listen to a lot of Rap, but those who do take it very seriously, and many relate to it. Just because it is not your "cup of tea" does not mean it has no relevance to others. Mynd44 drops some interesting Rap lyrics in his diary.
And I'm sure you'll agree with me that not all Rap makes sense; and if you're saying Rap is poetry, then you're as well saying not all poetry is worth reading.

I think OMA4U just gave a clearer explanation. Thanks, OMA. grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 2:38pm On Sep 30, 2014
Nobleval: Can i post here?
Post what?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 2:40pm On Sep 30, 2014
noble4d: @ Good writeup...yap, epic narrative poem! What is an epic and a narrative poem?
I believe Epic Poem falls under Narrative Poem. Since Narrative Poem tells a story, Epic Poem tells the stories of people who have done some brave things in the past.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 2:41pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: I believe Epic Poem falls under Narrative Poem. Since Narrative Poem tells a story, Epic Poem tells the story of people who have done some brave things in the past.

Huch! The question is for tex to answer
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 2:43pm On Sep 30, 2014
noble4d:

Huch! The question is for tex to answer
Oh, my bad. grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 2:44pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: Oh, my bad. grin

grin is like u want to answer questions on behalf of TeX grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 2:46pm On Sep 30, 2014
texanomaly:

Tell that to the child that sleeps on the floor, because he's less likely to catch a stray bullet there. Tell that to the kid who never knew his father, because he was killed in a drive-by. Tell that to the mother who is burying her 3rd child. Tell that to the child who is afraid to walk to school. Not everyone in this world can be reached by soft rock, or soft, sweet melodies. Some people need a place were they can relate. We never know the place in the heart where poetry comes from, or how it affects others.
sometimes we may not figure out anything in a rap music, but a poem that's read aloud allows the audience to get the flow, the rhythm and rhymes. In fact all poems are meant to be read aloud, because they must possess the literary devices above.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 2:46pm On Sep 30, 2014
noble4d: @ Good writeup...yap, epic narrative poem! What is an epic and a narrative poem?

ep·ic
ˈepik/
noun

a long poem, typically one derived from ancient oral tradition, narrating the deeds and adventures of heroic or legendary figures or the history of a nation.

narrative poem

noun

a poem that tells a story and has aplot

Although in this case I meant epic as in spectacular, bigger than life, that sort of thing.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 2:49pm On Sep 30, 2014
OMA4U: sometimes we may not figure out anything in a rap music, but a poem that's read aloud allows the audience to get the flow, the rhythm and rhymes. In fact all poems are meant to be read aloud, because they must possess the literary devices above.

Are you saying rap doesn't flow? You don't listen to much rap. Do you?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 2:51pm On Sep 30, 2014
Where is AudreyTimms? grin It's time she lectured us! Audrey!!!
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 30, 2014
AudreyTimms will soon Be dropping her talk Please let usr enjoy ourself in expectation
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 2:52pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: And I'm sure you'll agree with me that not all Rap makes sense; and if you're saying Rap is poetry, then you're as well saying not all poetry is worth reading.

I think OMA4U just gave a clearer explanation. Thanks, OMA. grin

Frankly, I don't think all poetry is worth reading. It's like anything in life. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Who am I to tell others what they find beautiful?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 30, 2014
Divepen:
Post what?
I meant 'can I comment here or join the conversation'?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: Where is AudreyTimms? grin It's time she lectured us! Audrey!!!
Shey will soon be here, she is having Network problem..
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 2:53pm On Sep 30, 2014
And Divepen, I may be writing about only three punctuation marks tomorrow. grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: SammyHoe, I want to know if a phrase, or perhaps a whole sentence, can be branded. For I recall that, when we were kids, we used to brand names of popular drinks, Albania negatively. Some of them include:

FANTA: F**lish Americans Never Taste Amala

GULDER: Girls Under Love Deserve Extra Romance

STAR: Some Teenagers Are Randy

LIMCA: Let Indians Make Camels Aroused

grin There are so many which, unfortunately, are way too prurient.

Yes, phrases and sentences could be branded. For example as little as we were then, we branded the word OLYMPIC into a complete sentence thus:
Olu
Leave
Your
Mother,
Police
Is
Coming

Also, in one of my stories on Nairaland, Henry wanted to correct an inferiority complex habit in Keisa Tyler's life(KEISA TYLER is a sickler in that story). Henry branded her name as:

Kick
Every
Inferiority
Shame
Away,

Then
Your
Lifespan
Expands
Rapturously

With that statement, Keisa Tyler lived a long life grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 2:54pm On Sep 30, 2014
Texanomaly, you said the type of Poetry everyone has at least come across is song. I beg to disagree, I'd prefer you to say music. All songs are not music, therefore all songs are not poetry.
Is there anything poetic in most Nigerian songs?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 2:55pm On Sep 30, 2014
Alryt, still on the narrative poem. Narrative poems, or poems that tell a story, have existed in many forms over several centuries, and many of our favorite television shows start with nothing other than a narrative poem to give us the background for stories to come.

Narrative poems comes in several different forms, could u pls emphasize on it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

ANOTHER FLOWERBOY TALE (Perfect Addiction (18+) By Blezzed Abraham... / Chimamanda Adichie Covers Stylist Magazine With "We Should All Be Feminist”Shirt / Untitled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.