Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:21 AM

Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) (16817 Views)

My Last Day In School (complete story) / Nairaland E-workshop And Nairaland Writers Award: How Do We Improve? / Nairaland E-workshop For Writers---Comment Thread--Day1(Sept30) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 2:55pm On Sep 30, 2014
texanomaly:

Frankly, I don't think all poetry is worth reading. It's like anything in life. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Who am I to tell others what they find beautiful?
Touche! God bless you, ma'am. Some poetry are just too ridiculous for the eyes to behold. grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 2:56pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: And Divepen, I may be writing about only three punctuation marks tomorrow. grin
why three? Noooo
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 2:56pm On Sep 30, 2014
Divepen:
Shey will soon be here, she is having Network problem..

I still have questions to ask ooo
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: And Divepen, I may be writing about only three punctuation marks tomorrow. grin

:8
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 30, 2014
Nobleval: I meant 'can I comment here or join the conversation'?
Oh yes...
You and others are free
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 2:59pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: Touche! God bless you, ma'am. Some poetry are just too ridiculous for the eyes to behold. grin

So says LarrySun! tongue
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 30, 2014
noble4d:

I still have questions to ask ooo
You had better be fast, because she might soon post it oo
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 3:01pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: Touche! God bless you, ma'am. Some poetry are just too ridiculous for the eyes to behold. grin

Poetry is all about patterns, rhymes/rhythm and language... If they are not present, then is regarded as a song...
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 3:02pm On Sep 30, 2014
@ tex pls answer my question?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 3:02pm On Sep 30, 2014
SammyHoe:

Yes, phrases and sentences could be branded. For example as little as we were then, we branded the word OLYMPIC into a complete sentence thus:
Olu
Leave
Your
Mother,
Police
Is
Coming

Also, in one of my stories on Nairaland, Henry wanted to correct an inferiority complex habit in Keisa Tyler's life(KEISA TYLER is a sickler in that story). Henry branded her name as:

Kick
Every
Inferiority
Shame
Away,

Then
Your
Lifespan
Expands
Rapturously

With that statement, Keisa Tyler lived a long life grin
From what you have given us so far, single words are only being branded into sentences. I understand that. My question is, can a sentence be branded into longer sentences?

Like:

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy goats

Can each letter of that sentence be branded? grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 3:03pm On Sep 30, 2014
OMA4U: Texanomaly, you said the type of Poetry everyone has at least come across is song. I beg to disagree, I'd prefer you to say music. All songs are not music, therefore all songs are not poetry.
Is there anything poetic in most Nigerian songs?

Actually all music is not a song. Dyslexic much? Not all music has lyrics. Which is what makes it a song. Sorry.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 3:03pm On Sep 30, 2014
of course, poetry is life and everything. Nonsense is part of life and sometimes poetry can be non'sense.

Thanks Texanomaly.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 3:05pm On Sep 30, 2014
texanomaly:

So says LarrySun! tongue
grin grin grin grin I'm being intentionally naughty.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 3:07pm On Sep 30, 2014
song

sôNG/
noun

a short poem or other set of words set to music or meant to be sung.

synonyms: air, strain, ditty, melody, tune, number, show tune, track, anthem, hymn, chanty, chantey, ballad, aria; informalearworm
"a beautiful song"
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 3:07pm On Sep 30, 2014
OMA4U: of course, poetry is life and everything. Nonsense is part of life and sometimes poetry can be non'sense.

Thanks Texanomaly.
shocked shocked shocked I'm learning something new here. Hurray!!! grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 3:08pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: grin grin grin grin I'm being intentionally naughty.

Aren't you always?
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 3:09pm On Sep 30, 2014
From Poetry to Rap, from Rap to Song, from Song to Music, from Music to
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 3:09pm On Sep 30, 2014
texanomaly:

Actually all music is not a song. Dyslexic much? Not all music has lyrics. Which is what makes it a song. Sorry.

Agreed...music is not a song grin.Poems frequently rely for their effect on imagery, word association, and the musical qualities of the language used. The interactive layering of all these effects to generate meaning is what marks poetry.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 3:10pm On Sep 30, 2014
We are very sorry Audreytimms is still having Trouble with Network and would post her talk later in the day
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 3:11pm On Sep 30, 2014
noble4d:

Poetry is all about patterns, rhymes/rhythm and language... If they are not present, then is regarded as a song...

Huh?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 3:12pm On Sep 30, 2014
texanomaly:

Aren't you always?
LOL!!! Apparently, you've not met me in my most serious mien. grin grin grin Ask Princesa.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 30, 2014
Princesa... Please get ready...
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 3:13pm On Sep 30, 2014
Audrey still Have 30 minutes, please let us wait for her...
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 3:14pm On Sep 30, 2014
OMA4U: of course, poetry is life and everything. Nonsense is part of life and sometimes poetry can be non'sense.

Thanks Texanomaly.
tongue
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by LarrySun(m): 3:14pm On Sep 30, 2014
Divepen: We are very sorry Audreytimms is still having Trouble with Network and would post her talk later in the day
INJUSTICE!!! You want Tex to face the crucifixion alone? grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 3:14pm On Sep 30, 2014
In the genre of poetry we have what we called ' Traditional poem" its a praise songs or chants recited in honour of some heroic persons, animals or events and always accompanied with musical intonation. Poetry is rhythm and their is music in poetry and poetry in music grin
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 3:16pm On Sep 30, 2014
texanomaly:

Huh?
you've not answer my question..
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by OMA4U(m): 3:18pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: shocked shocked shocked I'm learning something new here. Hurray!!! grin grin grin
if poetry is ludicrous, then it's nonsense. But I think we're discussing good poetry.
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by texanomaly(f): 3:20pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: INJUSTICE!!! You want Tex to face the crucifixion alone? grin

Hichaaaa!!

Watch it young man!

You wont see me till it's too late O! angry
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 30, 2014
LarrySun: INJUSTICE!!! You want Tex to face the crucifixion alone? grin
She won't...
I think I can see Audreytimms...
Audreytimms, You can use part of Princesa times she is engaged in a serious business and would be posting Later...
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by AudreyTimms(f): 3:21pm On Sep 30, 2014
My network is so shitty right now! I feel like crying
Re: Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) by noble4d(m): 3:21pm On Sep 30, 2014
@ OMA4U....can u answer the question?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

ANOTHER FLOWERBOY TALE (Perfect Addiction (18+) By Blezzed Abraham... / Chimamanda Adichie Covers Stylist Magazine With "We Should All Be Feminist”Shirt / Untitled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.