Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,961 members, 7,799,262 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport (41720 Views)

Pls why do African Ebola Patients die In The US but others survive / Good News! First Ebola Patient Discharged In Lagos / Ebola Patient Final Pictures Before Dying (viewer's Discretion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by kgr28(m): 10:34pm On Sep 11, 2014
Tonylyte:
Good right? Cecececceee
OK, BAD then!!
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Nobody: 10:34pm On Sep 11, 2014
the ebola cases in these countries is steadily rising... Nigeria has dealt with ebola properly...

KiKatanga:

Yeah and everyone from the rest of the world should stop allowing flights from Nigeria and anyone with a Nigerian passport should be quarantined.

Still think that's a good Idea?
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by KiKatanga: 10:37pm On Sep 11, 2014
teeowl: the ebola cases in these countries is steadily rising... Nigeria has dealt with ebola properly...

Yet it would still be rational for, say, the EU and the US to prohibit travel because the infection rate is so much higher in Nigeria.
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Nobody: 10:42pm On Sep 11, 2014
have you seen this thread today https://www.nairaland.com/1898424/no-confirmed-ebola-case-left

KiKatanga:

Yet it would still be rational for, say, the EU and the US to prohibit travel because the infection rate is so much higher in Nigeria.
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Nobody: 10:42pm On Sep 11, 2014
NA ONLY SHE WAKA COME
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by KiKatanga: 10:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
teeowl: have you seen this thread today https://www.nairaland.com/1898424/no-confirmed-ebola-case-left

Sincerely hope this is the case, but letting the sufferers die isn't exactly the ideal solution.
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by sayisayi(m): 10:48pm On Sep 11, 2014
See Hysteria... na wa!

This year in Nigeria, Ebola will not kill in one year, the number of people that naija corruption kills in one day.
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 11, 2014
USA has asked and pleaded with Nigeria to help the other affected 3 west african countries and the health minister said they would render assistance since the US also helped Nigeria (i watched it on channels). ZMapp drug was only sent to the other 3 west african countries - they did not send even one to Nigeria. China has also rendered assistance (i watched it on CCTV)!

PS: letting the sufferers come and infect us is also not the solution to the problem!

KiKatanga:

Sincerely hope this is the case, but letting the sufferers die isn't exactly the ideal solution.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Jellyfishdude: 11:01pm On Sep 11, 2014
The fear of Ebola is the begining of wisdom. Doctors in the house, beware those who call u to come and private in their hotel room... A word they say, is enuf for the wise. Hmn
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Cannonleo(m): 11:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
CyberWolf:
again
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 11, 2014
KiKatanga:

The British victim who was saved in an Atheist....

Oh and almost every African death so far has been Christian. Praying doesn't help much. Oh and please don't waste your time or your God's by praying for me. Pray for all of the Liberians and Guineans he's slaughtering.
Ur mumu no get mate

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by KiKatanga: 11:31pm On Sep 11, 2014
Mee234:
Or mumu no get mate

You are aware that that sentence makes no sense, aren't you?
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by eddiebomba(m): 12:37am On Sep 12, 2014
I was at the airport today when the incident occurred. I've been reading people's responses to the news & I just cringe at the level of thoughtless, self-righteous caustic comments on this thread. angry

First of all though, I have to tackle the op for gross misinformation:

1. the name of the airline the woman arrived on is ROYAL AIR MAROC, not "air morok";

2. The woman is a south African international on transit on her way home;

3. she had been through countries which were Ebola red zones before she got to casablanca

4. Most importantly, contrary to what d op says - that she was arrested by authorities at the airport- she actually turned herself in to the authorities once she complained of symptoms (now if it were some other people of some other nationalities I don't need to mention, what makes you think they wouldn't have kept it secret and slipped away unnoticed - given the evidently prevailing culture of denial among us). I just thought I should let people know before you all start haring after bogus conspiracy theories.

But what really pisses me off in this case is the way we're just exposing our ostrich mentality: we just bury our heads in the sand wishing this Ebola outbreak would just go away without us having to do anything about it(it's always someone else's problem, right?) & now the problem has shown its ugly head our way, we just blindly descend into hurling dog's abuse at whoever we feel is to blame: blame the woman who may not have even known how exactly she got the virus, but who was still responsible enough to report herself to the authorities; blame the airport authorities for being the ones who had to deal with her symptoms; blame the neighbours, blame that old woman in your village, blame the government, blame GEJ (a favourite of this forum ), and finally - and this is a favourite of this kind of thread - blame America, the great Satan, the so called harbinger of all that afflicts the black race! We're so good at blaming others for our problems, right or wrong, and we seem to have obtained Master's degrees in the art of abuse - jeez! If we could channel all that creativity into actually seeking solutions to our myriad problems, self - inflicted or otherwise, don't you think this country would be a much better place for all of us - better even than the America whose quality of life we envy, even if we don't say it?! Please, let's stop the insults & let's be proactive about issues, not reactive - the latter is not the way of progressives!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by makazona(m): 12:46am On Sep 12, 2014
our population and less security makes Nigeria a testing ground for bio terrorism

I bet u some bad scientists will follow every bit of ebola news for a more deadly production.just watch it few years from now
BUT
GOD FORBID OOO

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by 14(m): 12:46am On Sep 12, 2014
Has it been confirmed that she is South African? The story leaves much to be disired, I wont be surprised tomorrow when we are told she is Liberian pretending to be a South African. Thats why i say we must change our ID/Passport regulations, it seems SA passport is easy to acquire, remember the White Widow who killed people in Nairobi Mall was also using a fake SA Passport.
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by NellyGhenghen(m): 1:27am On Sep 12, 2014
stevecantrell: Now tell me, what happens to those who arrested her ? Don't they immediately become contacts ? Will they not have to undergo surveillance ?

Unless Nigeria takes drastic measures at curtailing immigration from ebola hot spots, the min of health shouldn't make unguarded statements like "No ebola in Nigeria"

Those who test an arrest ebola victims at airports must have precautionary wears and gadgets dont you think? undecided

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Litmus: 2:53am On Sep 12, 2014
eddiebomba: I was at the airport today when the incident occurred. I've been reading people's responses to the news & I just cringe at the level of thoughtless, self-righteous caustic comments on this thread. angry

1. the name of the airline the woman arrived on is ROYAL AIR MAROC, not "air morok";

3. she had been through countries which were Ebola red zones before she got to casablanca

4. Most importantly, contrary to what d op says - that she was arrested by authorities at the airport- she actually turned herself in to the authorities once she complained of symptoms (now if it were some other people of some other nationalities I don't need to mention, what makes you think they wouldn't have kept it secret and slipped away unnoticed - given the evidently prevailing culture of denial among us). I just thought I should let people know before you all start haring after bogus conspiracy theories.

But what really pisses me off in this case is the way we're just exposing our ostrich mentality: we just bury our heads in the sand wishing this Ebola outbreak would just go away without us having to do anything about it(it's always someone else's problem, right?) & now the problem has shown its ugly head our way, we just blindly descend into hurling dog's abuse at whoever we feel is to blame: blame the woman who may not have even known how exactly she got the virus, but who was still responsible enough to report herself to the authorities; blame the airport authorities for being the ones who had to deal with her symptoms; blame the neighbours, blame that old woman in your village, blame the government, blame GEJ (a favourite of this forum ), and finally - and this is a favourite of this kind of thread - blame America, the great Satan, the so called harbinger of all that afflicts the black race! We're so good at blaming others for our problems, right or wrong, and we seem to have obtained Master's degrees in the art of abuse - jeez! If we could channel all that creativity into actually seeking solutions to our myriad problems, self - inflicted or otherwise, don't you think this country would be a much better place for all of us - better even than the America whose quality of life we envy, even if we don't say it?! Please, let's stop the insults & let's be proactive about issues, not reactive - the latter is not the way of progressives!

You've stated nothing that changes anything. Providing accurate name of Arline is just being pedantic. And I'm sure that most people took the reference to "Arrested" as just an awkward way of stating that the south African was taken away to be tested and separated from others. Who in their right mind would think that an Ebola Sufferer would be arrested. To arrest any individual with transmittable disease, instead of taking them to a hospital where experts can look at them and provide competent care and protect the public, is to spread the disease.

Secondly, an individual that suspects or worries that they may have contracted a transmittable illness handing themselves to authority isn't something for congratulations but something one does as a matter of cause -even Patric Sayer did similar after a fashion. The point is, people wonder why come to our shores in the first place.

Thirdly people wonder what the response might have been had it been a Nigerian suffering similarly to the South African in other nations. Bear in mind that Nigerians without any symptoms of the ailment have been carted off to isolation in several nations abroad, denied participation in competitions and such people have been broadcasted all over international news.

8 Likes

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by cjrane: 3:46am On Sep 12, 2014
I think we should adopt shoot at sight,then cremate for any foreigner bringing Ebola to Nigeria deliberately.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Nobody: 4:45am On Sep 12, 2014
eddiebomba: I was at the airport today when the incident occurred. I've been reading people's responses to the news & I just cringe at the level of thoughtless, self-righteous caustic comments on this thread. angry

so what are you trying to say?

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Nobody: 5:31am On Sep 12, 2014
KiKatanga:

You are aware that that sentence makes no sense, aren't you?
I am aware that that niaralaners like you could be very stupid.
what I said in that post: ur mumu no get mate! gerit? That is "u mumu pass every body". Are u now aware of the sense in that sentence?
NB
blame auto correct. it ur not or

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by searay(m): 6:52am On Sep 12, 2014
lastpage:

Have you forgotten that almighty America has suggsted that we help other Countries while they themselves (America) have withheld the Zmapp cure they have, from us?

I think the infected people need to all head to America .... that is where the only known/acceptable cure is naah! shocked shocked wink wink

Apparently, it is easier to enter/migrate to Nigeria...... than to enter America!

See Goobe! shocked shocked

Lastapge!
Bros type your name well first. Lols. We should have a cure or vaccine first.
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by jude33084(m): 7:08am On Sep 12, 2014
whatlyf: The Government Should STOP every flight From Liberia/SA. Those useless people should solve their problems or DIE alone.
The Liberian woman should be quarantined without ANY treatment till she DIES. Wicked Soul

I though I read "South African woman"
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Tonylyte(m): 7:09am On Sep 12, 2014
kgr28: OK, BAD then!!
Do u nw agree that u and bluivy are phools?
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by KiKatanga: 7:15am On Sep 12, 2014
Mee234:
I am aware that that niaralaners like you could be very stupid.
what I said in that post: ur mumu no get mate! gerit? That is "u mumu pass every body". Are u now aware of the sense in that sentence?
NB
blame auto correct. it ur not or

You can't spell. You can't speak English. Your posts are incomprehensible.

Anyway the point remains that God has killed thousands of Christians, but saved an Atheist.
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by RuuDie(m): 8:14am On Sep 12, 2014
Litmus:

Secondly, an individual that suspects or worries that they may have contracted a transmittable illness handing themselves to authority isn't something for congratulations but something one does as a matter of cause -even Patric Sayer did similar after a fashion. The point is, people wonder why come to our shores in the first place.

I will agree to disagree with you... yes, there is no need for 'congratulations' per se but this is actually the sort of practice or action on the part of individuals that should be encouraged and continuously drummed into the consciousness of the public here. "If you notice something odd or out of place, please notify the authorities for proper checks and confirmation" .
If what is said is true and she actually turned herself in, she did the right thing and at least deserves a measure of commendation; also we Nigerians need to be shown this as an example because it is one effective way if early detection and arrest of this scare. Forget what motivated her to do so; as we have clearly seen over the past months, others have acted more 'stu.pidly' and ended up putting many other lives at risk!

And by the way, the poster you responded to did mention that her flight was in transit; probably meaning her final destination isn't Lagos! Maybe we should be looking at the Maroc people (or wherever it is that the flight originated) and asking them questions rather than heaping it all on the woman. Then again... it could all be nothing!

Finally, the link posted says "Liberian"; the body of the story, "South African"...!!? There has to be an official release to give any further credence to this report.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by stevecantrell: 8:27am On Sep 12, 2014
NellyGhenghen:

Those who test an arrest ebola victims at airports must have precautionary wears and gadgets dont you think? undecided

We can only hope so.
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by lastpage: 8:28am On Sep 12, 2014
searay: Bros type your name well first. Lols. We should have a cure or vaccine first.

That is not my "name", it is called a "handle" but thanks for the observation all the same,
.......though l reserve the right to spell my "handle" anyway l deem fit! grin grin undecided undecided

I digress.

The "reality" is that WE (NIGERIA) DONT HAVE A CURE YET!

America has Zmapp, it has given some doses to some countries, except Nigeria.... yet it is yapping that we should help other countries to cure their Ebola outbreak!

How do we help them?

*Are we supposed to open our border and ask them to come over?

*Are we to send our Doctors down there so they can contact the disease then America can watch them die like they did when they refused Zmapp for our own Doctor Aidadevo, who died of the infection?

What "help" can Nigeria render to say Liberia (which has Zmapp from America),.... that America itself has not or cannot render?

I tire for this American "strategy" o! shocked shocked

A blind man does not lead another blind man over a bridge now
?

PageLast

#How 'bout this spelling? grin grin
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by lastpage: 8:35am On Sep 12, 2014
KiKatanga:

You can't spell. You can't speak English. Your posts are incomprehensible.

Anyway the point remains that God has killed thousands of Christians, but saved an Atheist.

Sssshhhhhh!

We've heard enough of this your 'God-less' rant!

If you want to accuse/fight God, go ahead but just to warn you, there wont be any virgins for you on this one.

You are on your own (O.Y.O l'owaa)

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by searay(m): 8:41am On Sep 12, 2014
lastpage:

That is not my "name", it is called a "handle" but thanks for the observation all the same,
.......though l reserve the right to spell my "handle" anyway l deem fit! grin grin undecided undecided

I digress.

The "reality" is that WE (NIGERIA) DONT HAVE A CURE YET!

America has Zmapp, it has given some doses to some countries, except Nigeria.... yet it is yapping that we should help other countries to cure their Ebola outbreak!

How do we help them?

*Are we supposed to open our border and ask them to come over?

*Are we to send our Doctors down there so they can contact the disease then America can watch them die like they did when they refused Zmapp for our own Doctor Aidadevo, who died of the infection?

What "help" can Nigeria render to say Liberia (which has Zmapp from America),.... that America itself has not or cannot render?

I tire for this American "strategy" o! shocked shocked

A blind man does not lead another blind man over a bridge now
?

PageLast

#How 'bout this spelling? grin grin
Correct. But educate me more on the difference between name and handle/moniker/username. Many thanks.
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by Nobody: 9:17am On Sep 12, 2014
Joeblazeochola: they tink we have d cure n we are hiding it

just like you thouht America had a cure and was hiding it

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by kgr28(m): 9:43am On Sep 12, 2014
Tonylyte:
Do u nw agree that u and bluivy are phools?

Ahhh phools
Re: BREAKING: South African Ebola Patient Arrested At Lagos International Airport by eddiebomba(m): 9:48am On Sep 12, 2014
Litmus:

You've stated nothing that changes anything. Providing accurate name of Arline is just being pedantic. And I'm sure that most people took the reference to "Arrested" as just an awkward way of stating that the south African was taken away to be tested and separated from others. Who in their right mind would think that an Ebola Sufferer would be arrested. To arrest any individual with transmittable disease, instead of taking them to a hospital where experts can look at them and provide competent care and protect the public, is to spread the disease.

Thirdly people wonder what the response might have been had it been a Nigerian suffering similarly to the South African in other nations. Bear in mind that Nigerians without any symptoms of the ailment have been carted off to isolation in several nations abroad, denied participation in competitions and such people have been broadcasted all over international news.

Take it from someone who witnessed the incident firsthand: the op was clearly not well informed, or at least he grossly misinterpreted the info given to him. If he can't get something as basic as the name of the airline correct, what's to say there aren't other inconsistencies in his story? Like how are we sure he got the name correct, that folswe is the right spelling of the woman's name ? Granted, he may not be a professional journalist, but such attention to detail could make the difference between truth and falsehood.

And as for the woman being allowed to come into this country, I can't really blame her like we can blame the Liberian Mr Sawyerr - she was on transit trying to get back home, and so long as she felt fine and didn't suspect she had the virus, and as long as she wasn't detected by health workers at any stage of her journey, no one could stop her from travelling - or are you suggesting she should have stayed back in the Ebola hot spot she had been to? Tell me, if you were in her position, what would you do? If you were in Guinea or in Liberia with this epidemic ravaging the country & you were feeling alright with no symptoms, would you stick around in that country till the epidemic is over, just in case? No, you'd get the hell out of there & head straight home! It seems to me that folks here are just miffed that the symptoms manifested HERE & she was detected HERE, not in another country, & so we can't do as we always do - play the ostrich & claim it's not our problem!

And let's face it: she's from South Africa, the most advanced of all the countries on the continent by far (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). You think it wouldn't be at the back of her mind that even if she had the virus, she would definitely get far better healthcare in her own land than in our own broken down, corrupt, decrepit healthcare system - where good quality medical care is a luxury meant for only those who can travel abroad to more serious countries to get it; where our thieving politicians steal the funds meant for our hospitals, & then go abroad to treat common cold; where doctors go on strike right when the country needs them the most; where the people are so unenlightened & gullible that we believe it when some prankster says bitter kola & salt water is a cure for the virus; where even many of our preachers sell us faith healing in place of medical advice (while they themselves jet out of the country for medical checkup angry). Trust me, if there was a solution to her problem, she wouldn't be looking for it here, cos our society is not inclined to solution-providing - not with our general curse-ranting, conspiracy peddling, why-always-us reaction to problems like this, & our general disdain for any sort of contingency planning - that's the bitter truth! To me it's just her bad luck - & ours - that it was manifest here; now we're going to have to deal with it if we can call ourselves responsible people.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Months After Her Arm Was Amputated, Nigerian Lady Shares Recovery Photo / Ogun Student Commits Suicide For Being Dumped By Girlfriend / Toilet Disease, Real Or Imaginary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.