Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,303 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force (32216 Views)

See What This Dude Is Giving To God / Dr. Sign Fireman: Man Of God Or Man Of Money? (Video Documentary) / Who Really Rules The World, Jehovah God or Satan?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 11, 2014
Washington (AFP) - The US Air Force has told a sergeant he will have to leave the military unless he agrees to take an oath with the phrase "so help me God," officials said Tuesday.

In the latest religious controversy to roil the air force, the atheist airman last month was denied his request to re-enlist because of his refusal to swear to God -- and he is now poised to take the military to court, his lawyer said.

"We have not received word from the Air Force regarding our letter. It has not indicated a willingness to settle out of court," said Monica Miller, an attorney for the American Humanist Association, which has taken up the service member's case.

With the deadline for re-enlisting expiring in November, the technical sergeant at Creech Air Force base in Nevada -- whose name has not been released -- will be forced to sue the government in a federal court, Miller told AFP.

In the past, an airman could opt for an alternative phrase and omit the words "so help me God," but the US Air Force changed its policy in October 2013.

The other branches of the American military do not require the reference to God and make the phrase optional.

"This is the only branch to my knowledge that's actually requiring everyone in all instances to use the religious language," Miller said.

The requirement violates the US Constitution, which bars religious tests to hold office or other positions, Miller said of the case, which was first reported by the Air Force Times.

"The government cannot compel a nonbeliever to take an oath that affirms the existence of a supreme being," she said. The sergeant's service expires in November and he has until then to re-enlist and take the oath, said US Air Force spokeswoman Ann Stefanek.

In the meantime, "a written legal opinion is being requested" from the Pentagon's top lawyer, she said.

The air force has been plagued by controversy for years over religion and the role of Christian evangelists.

The US Air Force Academy in Colorado faced accusations several years ago that evangelical Christians exerted a dominating influence over the institution.

But attempts to counter the perceived bias in the service have sparked criticism from Christian activist groups, who allege a new rule stifles the religious expression of troops.

The disputed rule bars commanders from promoting their religious convictions to their subordinates.

Advocates of the policy say it protects troops who worry their careers could be jeopardized if they do not take part in their superior's Christian activities.

http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-must-swear-god-leave-us-air-force-232153866.html;_ylt=AwrTWf2zlg9UkzAA5rLQtDMD

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by davien(m): 4:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
And they'll say, "when has religion ever forced you to do anything?" ...forgetting that the most part of human history was filled with religious zealots willing to kill and bash peoples heads' in for apostacy... undecided

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 11, 2014
... And lemme guess, You find that Offensive? undecided

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by MizMyColi(f): 4:05pm On Sep 11, 2014
The worst set of "Christians" to encounter are the fundamentalist kind.

Why force a person to do something when you know that if roles were reversed, you'd rather die than do it.

Same goes for the Atheist boss who forbids employees from identifying with their God(s)

Whatever happened to CHOICE?!

Why won't we just give everyone grace, no matter where they're at in this journey of life.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
TrollMan: ... And lemme guess, You find that Offensive? undecided

Not me, Jesus:
Luke 6:31 New International Version (NIV)
"Do to others as you would have them do to you."

If you were to swear to Allah or lose your job, would you find it "offensive"?
If you were to swear to Sango, Amadioha or lose your job?

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 4:09pm On Sep 11, 2014
This is shameful!!

Why would the Airforce higher-ups be behaving like religious extremists forcing their religions on others?

tags; italo Striklymi MrAnony1, ubenedictus, francistony

9 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 4:16pm On Sep 11, 2014
logicboy01: This is shameful!!

Why would the Airforce higher-ups be behaving like religious extremists forcing their religions on others?

Logikboi angryangry
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 11, 2014
Apatheist:
Not me, Jesus:
Luke 6:31 New International Version (NIV)
"Do to others as you would have them do to you."

If you were to swear to Allah or lose your job, would you find it "offensive"?
If you were to swear to Sango, Amadioha or lose your job?

God Bless America...

In God we trust...

This is just an outcrop to remind you that America is a religious state and as such your argument is void.. AKA Baseless.

You have no point to prove your point.

I prefer to lavish my time in researching about why birds fly or why the grass is green to this..

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by manmustwac(m): 4:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
In America a Senator can come out and be openly gay but if a Senator came out of the closet and said he was an atheist that would be the end of his political career. There are no out of the closet atheist Senators in White House

9 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 11, 2014
TrollMan:

God Bless America...

In God we trust...

This is just an outcrop to remind you that America is a religious state and as such your argument is void.. AKA Baseless.

I prefer to lavish my time in researching about why birds fly or why the grass is green to this..

All these religious fanatics and christian bigots.

I am a Christian and Last time I checked, no where is it stated in the bible that we should bully those who don't share our faith.

With this your comment, no wonder boko haram is killing christians in the north and Allah is blessing them. undecided undecided

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 11, 2014
TrollMan:

God Bless America...

In God we trust...

I'd ignore you, but I couldn't resist:
The USA is NOT a Christian nation but a secular one.

The Constitution of the United States was adopted on September 17, 1787 and went into effect on March 4, 1789. There is no mention of god in the Constitution. In fact, the first amendment states that “Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances”.

From the founding fathers:
“In 1775, he ordered that his troops not show anti-Catholic sentiments by burning the pope in effigy on Guy Fawkes
Night. When hiring workmen for Mount Vernon, he wrote to his agent, “If they be good workmen, they may be from Asia, Africa, or Europe; they may be Mohammedans [Muslims], Jews, or Christians of any sect, or they may be Atheists.“
John Adams —Christian, Deist

“Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should “make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,” thus building a wall of separation between church and State”
--Thomas Jefferson

“The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg”
--Thomas Jefferson

“If anything pass in a religious meeting seditiously and contrary to the public peace, let it be punished in the same manner and no otherwise as it had happened in a fair or market”
James Madison–

"The civil Government, though bereft of everything like an associated hierarchy, possesses the requisite stability, and performs its functions with complete success, whilst the number, the industry, and the morality of the priesthood, and the devotion of the people, have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the church from the State (Letter to
Robert Walsh, Mar. 2, 1819).

Strongly guarded as is the separation between religion and & Gov’t in the Constitution of the United States the danger of encroachment by Ecclesiastical Bodies, may be illustrated by precedents already furnished in their short history (Detached
Memoranda, circa 1820).

"Every new and successful example, therefore, of a perfect separation between the ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance; and I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together (Letter to Edward Livingston, July 10,
1822).
--Benjamin Franklin.

37 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 11, 2014
FrancisTony:

I am a Christian and Last time I checked, no where is it stated in the bible that we should bully those who don't share our faith.

With this your comment, no wonder boko haram is killing christians in the north and Allah is blessing them. undecided undecided

You are saying this to the wrong person. Last time I checked, I ain't your standing mirror aka your reflection.

8 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Rilwayne001: 4:37pm On Sep 11, 2014
FrancisTony:

Watch the nonsense you type Mr. Man undecided undecided

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 11, 2014
Rilwayne001:

Watch the nonsense type Mr. Man undecided undecided

Fact! I don't need to give you countless of qu'ranic verse(s) that says about blessing for whomever that carries jihad in the name of Allah. angryangry

19 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
Apatheist:
I'd ignore you, but I couldn't resist:
The USA is NOT a Christian nation but a secular one.

The Constitution of the United States was adopted on September 17, 1787 and went into effect on March 4, 1789. There is no mention of god in the Constitution. In fact, the first amendment states that “Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances”.

From the founding fathers:
“In 1775, he ordered that his troops not show anti-Catholic sentiments by burning the pope in effigy on Guy Fawkes
Night. When hiring workmen for Mount Vernon, he wrote to his agent, “If they be good workmen, they may be from Asia, Africa, or Europe; they may be Mohammedans [Muslims], Jews, or Christians of any sect, or they may be Atheists.“
John Adams —Christian, Deist

“Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should “make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,” thus building a wall of separation between church and State”
--Thomas Jefferson

“The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg”
--Thomas Jefferson

“If anything pass in a religious meeting seditiously and contrary to the public peace, let it be punished in the same manner and no otherwise as it had happened in a fair or market”
James Madison–

"The civil Government, though bereft of everything like an associated hierarchy, possesses the requisite stability, and performs its functions with complete success, whilst the number, the industry, and the morality of the priesthood, and the devotion of the people, have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the church from the State (Letter to
Robert Walsh, Mar. 2, 1819).

Strongly guarded as is the separation between religion and & Gov’t in the Constitution of the United States the danger of encroachment by Ecclesiastical Bodies, may be illustrated by precedents already furnished in their short history (Detached
Memoranda, circa 1820).

"Every new and successful example, therefore, of a perfect separation between the ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance; and I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity the less they are mixed together (Letter to Edward Livingston, July 10,
1822).
--Benjamin Franklin.

So what now, are you protesting through your Laptop?... Are you a legal citizen of the state?

Funny because I never said American is a “Christian State”. You are the one implying that.

*-*- BTW, Do you know the reason why Birds Fly? I need all the Ideas I can get.

20 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Rilwayne001: 4:48pm On Sep 11, 2014
FrancisTony:

Fact! I don't need to give you countless of qu'ranic verse(s) that says about blessing for whomever that carries jihad in the name of Allah. angryangry

Been one of the nonentity we have on Nairaland undecided

you never show up on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1896846/what-quran-bashers-dont-want-know#26191749

15 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 11, 2014
Rilwayne001:

Been one of the nonentity we havecon Nairaland undecided

you never show up on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1896846/what-quran-bashers-dont-want-know#26191749

lol. I am just keep low on this section.

If na those days, I for don deal with you. grin

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Rilwayne001: 5:04pm On Sep 11, 2014
FrancisTony:

grin grin grin yo-yo undecided

Who chased you outta this section if not me.. grin cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 11, 2014
Rilwayne001:

grin grin grin yo-yo undecided

Who chased you outta this section if not me.. grin cheesy

lool. I left for a reason.

Even Macelliot, Mintayo, Rationalmind and co' can attest how I used to whoop your asss.

I was Islam nightmare after frosbel, then. grin

6 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Rilwayne001: 5:19pm On Sep 11, 2014
FrancisTony:

Even Macelliot, Mintayo, Rationalmind and co' can attest how I used to whoop your asss.

I was Islam nightmare after frosbel, then. grin

He he he he grin grin grin

You never tell me that you are now a professional comedian grin grin grin.

I must have missed the story of your encounter with basketmouth and i go die grin grin grin

You should be thanking the e-diot that hacked Nairaland, if not for that i would have expose your lie here by diggin out where you got wipped ...grin grin tongue

A cuckoo you are tongue tongue

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 11, 2014
Rilwayne001:
Been one of the nonentity we havecon Nairaland undecided
FrancisTony:

[img]http://2.bp..com/-JdPl3u6FSsI/UqNLTldGGiI/AAAAAAAAPy4/tvUlij5OE-o/s1600/god-game.jpg[/img]

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 5:29pm On Sep 11, 2014
Apatheist:
[img]http://2.bp..com/-JdPl3u6FSsI/UqNLTldGGiI/AAAAAAAAPy4/tvUlij5OE-o/s1600/god-game.jpg[/img]

lool, My God is better than yours. grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by uzoexcel(m): 5:38pm On Sep 11, 2014

5 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by herald9: 5:43pm On Sep 11, 2014
I rather say it than loose my job...

What will it change if you don't mean it...

undecided

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 11, 2014
FrancisTony:

lool, My God is better than yours. grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Macelliot(m): 6:45pm On Sep 11, 2014
Rilwayne001:
yo-yo Who chased you
outta this section if
not me..
FrancisTony:
Even macelliot, Mintayo, Rationalmind and co' can attest how I used to whoop your asss.
I was Islam nightmare
after frosbel, then.
Rilwayne001:
He he he he
You never tell me that
you are now a
professional comedian.
I must have missed the story of your encounter with basketmouth and i
go die. You should be thanking the e-diot that hacked Nairaland, if not for that i would have expose your lie here by diggin out where you got wipped...
A cuckoo you are

@Rilwayne. Go and tell that to your JIHADIST brothers... ... ...

15 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Rilwayne001: 7:07pm On Sep 11, 2014
Macelliot:

@Rilwayne. Go and tell that to your JIHADIST brothers... ... ...

Ne'er-do-well undecided grin

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by emperorchedda(m): 8:29pm On Sep 11, 2014
Mods ban these religious fanatics attempting to turn this thread to a classic politics section e-fight

6 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 5:59am On Sep 12, 2014
FrancisTony:

Well said

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 12, 2014
logicboy01: This is shameful!!

If you can be happy to see policy makers deprive individuals of their rights to reasonable Religious freedom, why can't you also be happy when the tables are turned?

5 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 8:54am On Sep 12, 2014
striktlymi:

If you can be happy to see policy makers deprive individuals of their rights to reasonable Religious freedom, why can't you also be happy when the tables are turned?

What kind of silly question is this? Why are you strawmanning?

Why cant you just admit that the atheists are being bullied here?

Where on this thread or anywhere did you see me vote for depriving anyone their religious rights? You mad?

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 12, 2014
logicboy01:

What kind of silly question is this? Why are you strawmanning?

Why cant you just admit that the atheists are being bullied here?

Where on this thread or anywhere did you see me vote for depriving anyone their religious rights? You mad?

Bullied by whom? Christians? Muslims? Pagans? Or have Theists joined forces to bully d 'poor, defenseless Atheist'?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

RCCG Church Abuja Attacked, Looted And Burnt By Suspected Extremists (Photo) / My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. / A Christian Group Feeds Muslim Beggars On Sallah Day (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.