Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,120 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. (3107 Views)

Help.....travelling To Republic Of Suriname In South America. / Guyana - Telling It As It Is / Guyana Visa How Is It Obtain In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. by Biobele001(f): 6:40am On Sep 12, 2014
Hello, good morning.

I've just been admitted to study Medicine at the Texila American University, Guyana.

Please, do we have any Nairalander there? What's life like at Guyana? Most importantly, how's the cost of living there?

Thanks..
Re: About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. by Originalsly: 2:17pm On Sep 12, 2014
Lived there a while...have several contacts there. Basically Nigeria on a smaller scale. Currency ...Guyana dollar...US$1= G$200(average). Registered Nurse...trained...G60 000 per month...do the math! Rent...$20 000 per month for small decent place ...even smaller in the heart of the city..if luck smiles on you! Jobs...part time jobs...just like Lagos.....scarce ...but....doesn't matter the level of work or pay....payday is payday! More importantly....do you really know about the school that accepted you? ....and if their certificate/degree is recognised more than one you can print at home? Look well before you leap.
Re: About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. by Biobele001(f): 3:27pm On Sep 12, 2014
Originalsly: Lived there a while...have several contacts there. Basically Nigeria on a smaller scale. Currency ...Guyana dollar...US$1= G$200(average). Registered Nurse...trained...G60 000 per month...do the math! Rent...$20 000 per month for small decent place ...even smaller in the heart of the city..if luck smiles on you! Jobs...part time jobs...just like Lagos.....scarce ...but....doesn't matter the level of work or pay....payday is payday! More importantly....do you really know about the school that accepted you? ....and if their certificate/degree is recognised more than one you can print at home? Look well before you leap.

Thanks Originalsy.

I'm really banking on job opportunities and scholarship offers (I read of a couple).

I've done my research on Texila and I'm convinced that they are legit (judging from a naive mind that relies only on information gotten from the internet). However, if you feel you have any information that may be of help as regards their authenticity, kindly share please..

What I know is that they are recognised by the WHO, also, that graduates from the school are allowed to practice in the USA.

Thanks for your time, thanks..

Just to add: Would it be too much if I should ask for the contact of any Nigerian you know that is there?

1 Like

Re: About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. by Biobele001(f): 3:31pm On Sep 12, 2014
I have a B. Sc degree in Human Anatomy.

What kind of job can I get with this?
Re: About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. by Originalsly: 3:46pm On Sep 12, 2014
Read carefully what they are saying on their website....like they listed by I think WHO a a medical school....but then there is a way to get listed...and this gives the impression that WHO and others would accept their certifications. As I understand it...from their website...is that they prepare students to take exams to enter recognized institutions. If you need to pursue anything in medicine do so in Trinidad/Jamaica or thru an off shore US university in the West Indies....just not Guyana. Contact Frank94...he has written extensively on that in this forum under threads about Trinidad.

3 Likes

Re: About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. by Biobele001(f): 4:16pm On Sep 12, 2014
Originalsly: Read carefully what they are saying on their website....like they listed by I think WHO a a medical school....but then there is a way to get listed...and this gives the impression that WHO and others would accept their certifications. As I understand it...from their website...is that they prepare students to take exams to enter recognized institutions. If you need to pursue anything in medicine do so in Trinidad/Jamaica or thru an off shore US university in the West Indies....just not Guyana. Contact Frank94...he has written extensively on that in this forum under threads about Trinidad.

Again, thanks.

I shall research further.

Also, I shall contact Frank94 immediately.

Some of my questions, though, are still pending...

Big, big thanks...
Re: About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. by frank94(m): 10:36pm On Sep 14, 2014
guyana is a good place,but not good for hussling or some one thats starting life,i dont know how many times i will tell you people to stay away from this countries that are still struggling to feed its hungry population,and look towards a place you can survive quick after studies .i ask a very good friend from guyana who is studying here in trinidad about this texila american university,he said its a new university back home at guyana which he doesnt know the extent of its acreditation.why not try other good country in carribean island for this perticular course,places like trinidad and tobago or bahamas and Guadalupe and Martinique.you can apply for some well recognised university in trinidad and tobago,which you can use the certificate and work all over the world,but to study here is expensive but after your studies you wont regret it because its a well to do country in this carribean island and also you will make your money x2 of what you spend during studies.but if you study in guyana and hear how much doctors or any medical line earn in trinidad or bahamas or guadalupe and martinique even other good places in this caribbean,you will be forced to leave guyana to rush their,which will not be easy for you.studying in guyana is the same with studying in nigeria,nigeria is even better if you can get in to UNN or UNilag and other good federal universities you wont regret it because the certificate is also strong outside nigeria im telling you the truth.if you insist you want to study medicine out side,try cuba or st lucia if you finish their,easy step to canada or usa even trinidad and other well to do carribean countries will employ you one time,i met some cuban doctors working in general hospital in port of spain.Think very well before you leap thats my own piece of advice grin

3 Likes

Re: About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. by sonofaGod: 7:18am On Sep 15, 2014
This post coudnt have come more timely than this..am a medical doctor,graduated from ambrose alli university college of medicine two years ago and am seriously thinking of relocating to any of d good carribean island for work,d problem is that I keep getting murky and incomplete information about job opportunities there.plz anybody with useful info abut this should plz kindly pass it over,frank and sly ur inputs too will b greatly appreciated!
Re: About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. by kagari: 12:27pm On Sep 15, 2014
frank94: guyana is a good place,but not good for hussling or some one thats starting life,i dont know how many times i will tell you people to stay away from this countries that are still struggling to feed its hungry population,and look towards a place you can survive quick after studies .i ask a very good friend from guyana who is studying here in trinidad about this texila american university,he said its a new university back home at guyana which he doesnt know the extent of its acreditation.why not try other good country in carribean island for this perticular course,places like trinidad and tobago or bahamas and Guadalupe and Martinique.you can apply for some well recognised university in trinidad and tobago,which you can use the certificate and work all over the world,but to study here is expensive but after your studies you wont regret it because its a well to do country in this carribean island and also you will make your money x2 of what you spend during studies.but if you study in guyana and hear how much doctors or any medical line earn in trinidad or bahamas or guadalupe and martinique even other good places in this caribbean,you will be forced to leave guyana to rush their,which will not be easy for you.studying in guyana is the same with studying in nigeria,nigeria is even better if you can get in to UNN or UNilag and other good federal universities you wont regret it because the certificate is also strong outside nigeria im telling you the truth.if you insist you want to study medicine out side,try cuba or st lucia if you finish their,easy step to canada or usa even trinidad and other well to do carribean countries will employ you one time,i met some cuban doctors working in general hospital in port of spain.Think very well before you leap thats my own piece of advice grin
How can i do my post graduate in one this schools. I ave tried a few online stuffs byt got burnt seriously, so i really want one with good information about the carribeans
Re: About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. by frank94(m): 9:01am On Sep 18, 2014
What course did you study at undergraduate and course you intend to study at postgraduate. Note to study in you trinidad in expensive but after studies and your lucky to get nice job,you will be very happy because govt job here opens door to a lot of avenues to success. grin
kagari: .
How can i do my post graduate in one this schools. I ave tried a few online stuffs byt got burnt seriously, so i really want one with good info
mation about the carribeans
Re: About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. by frank94(m): 9:05am On Sep 18, 2014
sonofaGod: This post coudnt have come more timely than this..am a medical doctor,graduated from ambrose alli university college of medicine two years ago and am seriously thinking of relocating to any of d good carribean island for work,d problem is that I keep getting murky and incomplete information about job opportunities there.plz anybody with useful info abut this should plz kindly pass it over,frank and sly ur inputs too will b greatly appreciated!
check my post about trinidad and Tobago and see what I have written about job oppourtunity for doctors.
Re: About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. by kagari: 9:28am On Sep 18, 2014
frank94: What course did you study at undergraduate and course you intend to study at postgraduate. Note to study in you trinidad in expensive but after studies and your lucky to get nice job,you will be very happy because govt job here opens door to a lot of avenues to success. grin
Studied biochemistyr, but looking at doing nutritional biochemistry or fooe technology or any proffesional course in aviation couse i have some some certificates in aviation also
Re: About Guyana, Caribbean Island, South America.. by frank94(m): 6:51am On Sep 20, 2014
Bro if you want to try piloting,go to georgia tibilisi it will be easy for you to get the course their,not in trinidad.for the biochemistry try university of west Indies or university of southern Caribbean they h
ave some thing good for.

(1) (Reply)

Family Reunion Visa(german Embassy) / Checkout Photos Of Golden Tulip Warri Airport Hotel / Beautiful Pics Of Yoruba Land Excluding Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.