Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,860 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices (35040 Views)

Some Youruba Names And Their (weird) Direct Funny Meanings. / Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Nigerian Tribes And Their States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 11:46am On Sep 13, 2014
The Korowai Tribe in New Guinea –
cannibalism:

This may be the most horrifying practice
from one of the tribes , but believe me
when I say that this practice is still more
effective with the current economy where the
cost of living has greatly escalated . You
don’ t necessarily have to die of hunger when
a few of you can be kept alive by simply
feeding on their friends and family members .
In fact , this practice has, for a very long time ,
been practiced by the Korowai natives. And
since this tribe is greatly isolated from the
rest of the world , the natives of this land still
practice cannibalism with the seriousness
that their forefathers had. And according to a
native of this land , korowai people will at any
time kill and eat a KhaKhua . For those that
don’ t know , a Khakhua is a witch doctor who
is believed to eat the inside of people ( eating
people ’ s intestines is considered as a taboo
in Korowai) . And in order to punish him,
Korowai people will first torture him , kill him
and then eat his brains before feasting on the
rest of the body .

The Maasai in Kenya and Tanzania —
Female Genital Mutilation:

For a very long time , the Maasai have been
circumcising their women just to prevent
them from engaging in sex until they are
married. This practice , as justified by some of
the Maasai elders , is more important in the
Maasai culture as it helps in controlling
women libido. As a result , a maasai woman
will always refrain from sexual fantasizes
until she is ready for marriage . The shocking
part is that a woman Instruments will be cut off
using a sharp object , and she should bear the
pain without any form of anesthetic .

The suri and the Surma tribes in
Ethiopia — Men fighting to impress a
lady for marriage:

While you can easily meet a girl on -line and
ask her to marry you, the Suri and Surma
men have to fight and win so that they can
get a woman to marry . According to one
particular Suri elder, a Suri man must
perform a ritual that involves covering his
body and face with clay , and then walk naked
while carrying an 8 feet pole –this ceremony
is generally referred to as Donga by the
natives of this land. After that , he will be
required to engage other single men in a fight
as a large number of unmarried Surma
women watch and patiently wait to choose
the winners as their husband

Hamer tribe in South - western Ethiopia
–Women bull jumping:

This may be seen as a difficult thing to
happen in the current world, but to Hamer
women from the South - western Ethiopia it ’ s
more like a normal phase of life . The worst
part is that before you can be allowed to
engage in this ritual ( bull jumping ritual) ,
you’ ll first have to go through a series of
whipping on both the back and buttocks until
there are some scars that will signify that
you’ ve already gone through the ritual and
you’ re now a grown woman who is very
ready for marriage . A Hammer man , on the
other hand , can marry up- to four women and
in case he dies , then all his properties will
be equally distributed amongst the wives but
not the children.

The Zulu tribes in South Africa —
circumcision rites:

Zulu teenage boys have to undergo a bizarre
circumcision rite to become men . Normally in
Zulu , these boys will be abducted and then
taken to a secret place that can only be
accessed by elderly women who bring them
food and drinks. They are then covered in
white dust before being allowed to use sharp
blades or rocks to circumcise themselves . As
a result , most of them generally end up
having disfigured genitals; and some even die
during the process . The wounds are normally
treated and dressed using mad or animal
waste , and may take up- to four months
before these boys are completely healed .

The Hausa tribes in Nigeria — Bloody
boxing:

The Saharan Hausa people have their own
traditional boxing practice that they call
Dambe. This sport, though considered illegal ,
is still practiced by some people and it
generally involves using feet, head and fist to
hit an opponent. They also use a Dambe
Karfe ( a hand held puncing ) or a mazagi ( a
fist layer with protruding pieces of glasses) to
pound on their enemies . Even though it may
seem like a dangerous game , some Hausa
people still enjoy this sport and will even pay
to watch or participate in it .

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by MizMyColi(f): 11:59am On Sep 13, 2014
Apatheist ^^^ undecided

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Tallesty1(m): 12:08pm On Sep 13, 2014
Terrible
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 13, 2014
MizMyColi: Apatheist ^^^ undecided
cheesy
grin
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 13, 2014
no pictures ?

6 Likes

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 12:27pm On Sep 13, 2014
francleanflexy: no pictures ?
manage am like dat, una too like pictures

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 13, 2014
Ukuthwalwa
In South Africa, ukuthwala is the practice of abducting young girls and forcing them into marriage, often with the consent of their parents. The practice occurs mainly in rural parts of South Africa, in particular the Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal . The girls who are involved in this practice are frequently under-aged, including some as young as eight. The practice received negative publicity, with media reporting in 2009 that more than 20 Eastern Cape girls are forced to drop out of school every month because of ukuthwala.[/b]
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Nobody: 12:48pm On Sep 13, 2014
AfricanApple: manage am like dat, una too like pictures
Madam, you no put "sauce" too.

I'd rather remain single than fight so dat a woman gon pick me...i no be animal jare. sad

3 Likes

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Nobody: 1:00pm On Sep 13, 2014
Hehe cheesy

More to the list:

Wife Swapping

Wife swapping among Namibia’s nomadic tribes has been practised for generations.

The practise is more of a gentlemen's agreement where pals can have sex with eachothers' wives with no strings attached.

Nigeria needs this culture, it would foster friendship and unity cheesy

Kidnapping your bride

In the Sudanese Latuka tribe, when a man wants to marry a woman, he kidnaps her. Elderly members of his family go and ask the girl's father for her hand in marriage, and if he agrees, the father beats the man as a sign of acceptance of the union.

Spitting your hellos

Members of the Maasai tribe in Kenya and Tanzania spit as a way of greeting. Spitting plays another role: men spit on newborns and say they're bad, in the belief that if they praise a baby, it will be cursed. Maasai warriors will also spit in their hands before shaking the hand of an elder.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 13, 2014
For the records, grooms wear veils somewhere in Algeria grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 4:38pm On Sep 13, 2014
AirborneLacer: Hehe cheesy

More to the list:

Wife Swapping

Wife swapping among Namibia’s nomadic tribes has been practised for generations.

The practise is more of a gentlemen's agreement where pals can have sex with eachothers' wives with no strings attached.

Nigeria needs this culture, it would foster friendship and unity cheesy

Kidnapping your bride

In the Sudanese Latuka tribe, when a man wants to marry a woman, he kidnaps her. Elderly members of his family go and ask the girl's father for her hand in marriage, and if he agrees, the father beats the man as a sign of acceptance of the union.

Spitting your hellos

Members of the Maasai tribe in Kenya and Tanzania spit as a way of greeting. Spitting plays another role: men spit on newborns and say they're bad, in the belief that if they praise a baby, it will be cursed. Maasai warriors will also spit in their hands before shaking the hand of an elder.
horrible horrors

4 Likes

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 4:40pm On Sep 13, 2014
iyke926:
Madam, you no put "sauce" too.

I'd rather remain single than fight so dat a woman gon pick me...i no be animal jare. sad
if you were there you will do it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Fulaman198(m): 4:43pm On Sep 13, 2014
The Korowai are not African, they are from New Guinea in the Pacific islands. They are Melanesians not Africans.

14 Likes

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 7:04pm On Sep 13, 2014
What makes it horrible

Let's not use our culture for yardstick to judge others , besides I have heard of yoruba practicing female mutilation too

Thank God mine never practiced anything weird
I think that should b the word :weird not horrible or maybe unique anyway I'm out

6 Likes

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Fulaman198(m): 8:28pm On Sep 13, 2014
I honestly don't see what's so bad about Hausa Dambe. Bloody martial arts exist in every part of the world. You have Asian martial arts (some more bloody and deadlier than others). You have the MMA in the Americas, you have Boxing, etc. etc. Hausa Dambe is not bad. Though I don't believe in people beating one another up, understand that it is a sport that some people nowadays get paid to do.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by MisterG: 8:45pm On Sep 13, 2014
AfricanApple: The Korowai Tribe in New Guinea –
cannibalism:

edit.
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by MisterG: 7:35pm On Sep 14, 2014
AfricanApple: [

Ok, i basically edited out my previous comment in what i said, it was meant as a insult, which i apologize for, and i did read your former comment. However you should do likewise and edit the tribe from New Guinea in your original post which is the proper thing to do, since they are not African.
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 8:09pm On Sep 14, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: What makes it horrible

Let's not use our culture for yardstick to judge others , besides I have heard of yoruba practicing female mutilation too

Thank God mine never practiced anything weird
I think that should b the word :weird not horrible or maybe unique anyway I'm out
well, no one is using culture to judge anyone here it may be what is good for tribe is horrible to another, u should understand dat. well I edited it
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by MisterG: 9:14am On Sep 16, 2014
AfricanApple: well, no one is using culture to judge anyone here it may be what is good for tribe is horrible to another, u should understand dat. well I edited it

AfricanApple Edit The Korowai Tribe from New Guinea out of your original post. Again they are not African, since the topic is African focus, we should stick with that. This makes you look ignorant by keeping it there, since myself and Fulaman corrected. So correct your mistake!
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 10:07am On Sep 16, 2014
MisterG:

AfricanApple Edit The Korowai Tribe from New Guinea out of your original post. Again they are not African, since the topic is African focus, we should stick with that. This makes you look ignorant by keeping it there, since myself and Fulaman corrected. So correct your mistake!
why d concern. well I heard u

I don't want to remove that tribe, but I've removed d african
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by ujuka(f): 7:22pm On Sep 16, 2014
AfricanApple: [
space booker,see ur life
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 10:53pm On Sep 16, 2014
ujuka: space booker,see ur life
u get eye so?
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Nobody: 11:08pm On Oct 02, 2014
Lol weird weirder weirdly weirdness choi
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by Henrypraise: 3:10pm On Oct 30, 2014
Wats more weird compared to sum one farting n d pple present smilin n applauding him? Little wonder y nigeria is derailin

3 Likes

Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by kingston277(m): 5:16pm On Oct 30, 2014
The comments are weirder.
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by AfricanApple(f): 3:00pm On Nov 12, 2014
kingston277:
The comments are weirder.
grin grin
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by youngice(m): 7:34pm On Nov 14, 2014
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by lilprinze: 7:36pm On Nov 14, 2014
Sorry for the gods .
Re: Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices by colossus2: 7:36pm On Nov 14, 2014
[size=16pt]DJDOLA NEEDS YOUR HELP[/size]

Please help support with the little you have.
There's joy in living if you can help save a life.

Nigerian Account: Please pay to
Name: Oyewale S. Oyetunji
A/N: 0026812459
Bank: GTB
Add DJDOLA as reference

For PayPal, send a mail to ehelpersnetwork@gmail.com

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Olubadan's Attire As He Shops With His Wives In London. Photo / History Of Eyo Festival / The Famous Mkpokiti Dance In Anambra (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.