Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,809 members, 7,806,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:42 PM

Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) (3871 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo Awards Aregbesola Title Of Omoluabi Of Yorubaland (PHOTOS) / The Role Of Culture In Creating A Better Future: The ‘omoluabi’ Concept / Prostration Among The Yoruba And The Israelites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by MayorofLagos(m): 3:35am On Sep 14, 2014
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostration

Read the article above.

Prostrating, bowing, kneeling....these acts are beneficial for curbing the impulse in our ego and helps one develop a humble carriage in society.

Societies that practice kneeling, bowing and prostrating whether as an act of faith or cultural tradition promote humble character as a way of life in social interaction. This is the foundation for the Yoruba creed 'omoluabi'.

Boastful and arrogant societies exist because of untamed egos, people who abhor acts of humility and refuse to submit their will to the divine.

There are multitude cultures and people in Nigeria and I do not know which one does or does not observe kneeling, bowing, prostration, in their cultural beliefs. I want to hear from you. If your ethnic group prostrate, bow or kneel, tell us here and do it with pictures.

I will be first to go.

Im Yoruba and yes my people practice humble character and we prostrate, we bow, we kneel....see picture.

Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by Scarpon(m): 4:33am On Sep 14, 2014
are those ones standing foolish?
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by susanbussy(f): 4:57am On Sep 14, 2014
i think only Yoruba prostrate and kneel the hausas' will stood low both male and female and thats all i know i believe the igbos dont do any of that....
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by MayorofLagos(m): 5:39am On Sep 14, 2014
susanbussy: i think only Yoruba prostrate and kneel the hausas' will stood low both male and female and thats all i know i believe the igbos dont do any of that....

What ethnic group do you belong and how do you demonstrate humility in your culture or your faith?

1 Like

Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by MayorofLagos(m): 5:41am On Sep 14, 2014
Scarpon: are those ones standing foolish?

is this a humble response or a show of arrogance?

What ethnic group are you?
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by Tolexander: 7:10am On Sep 14, 2014
In my lovely culture, this is how we demonstrate respect while greeting our elders.
Emi omo kaaro o, o o jiire bi
mo kuku jiire, telegan lo baje.

[img]http://yemitom.files./2011/10/girl-kneeling-and-boy-prostrating-for-a-woman2.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by Funjosh(m): 7:47am On Sep 14, 2014
Scarpon: are those ones standing foolish?

Questions for the gods
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by Funjosh(m): 7:49am On Sep 14, 2014
Tolexander: In my lovely culture, this is how we demonstrate respect while greeting our elders.
Emi omo kaaro o, o o jiire bi
mo kuku jiire, telegan lo baje.

[img]http://yemitom.files./2011/10/girl-kneeling-and-boy-prostrating-for-a-woman2.jpg[/img]

Wa gbayi. Wa pe laye. Wa dagba joo. wink wink wink
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by Funjosh(m): 7:51am On Sep 14, 2014
susanbussy: i think only Yoruba prostrate and kneel the hausas' will stood low both male and female and thats all i know i believe the igbos dont do any of that....

OK atiri yin angry grin angry grin
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by Enahi(f): 8:07am On Sep 14, 2014
Yorubas do prostate and kneel. I think only Yorubas do that but they are also the most pretentious of all the tribes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by jnrbayano(m): 9:52am On Sep 14, 2014

Your belief can be faulty you know?

We Igbos lower our heads when greeting an elder in a typical igbo setting.

Wives kneel to greet their husbands again in a typical igbo setting.

Notwithstanding, igbos educate their young members of the society with the emphasis on the actual respect and not the symbol of respect

1 Like

Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by Scarpon(m): 1:44pm On Sep 14, 2014
MayorofLagos:

is this a humble response or a show of arrogance?

What ethnic group are you?
I dont insult other people culture but was just wondering why are those guys standing they suppose to be on
the ground

1 Like

Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by MayorofLagos(m): 8:09pm On Sep 14, 2014
jnrbayano:

Your belief can be faulty you know?

We Igbos lower our heads when greeting an elder in a typical igbo setting.

Wives kneel to greet their husbands again in a typical igbo setting.

Notwithstanding, igbos educate their young members of the society with the emphasis on the actual respect and not the symbol of respect

show pictures of Igbo bowing and kneeling.
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by Tolexander: 9:56pm On Sep 14, 2014
Funjosh:

Wa gbayi. Wa pe laye. Wa dagba joo. wink wink wink
ase!
E se o baba mi!
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by petitmonde(m): 8:31am On Sep 15, 2014
Enahi: Yorubas do prostate and kneel. I think only Yorubas do that but they are also the most pretentious of all the tribes.
and how is that your own problem?
What exactly is your 'beef' with the yoruba race.GET A LIFE!
Tell me where you are from and i give you a 1001 points of how horrible and disgusting you and your people are.
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by Enahi(f): 8:58am On Sep 15, 2014
petitmonde:
and how is that your own problem?
What exactly is your 'beef' with the yoruba race.GET A LIFE!
Tell me where you are from and i give you a 1001 points of how horrible and disgusting you and your people are.
What's wrong with my comment? You don't need to know my state of Origin,I have nothing against Yorubas. Look I don't pretend neither am I two faced,I say things the way I see them and I don't owe you an explanation for my opinion. This has got nothing to do with tribe,there is no perfect tribe and no tribe is superior to other tribes. And oh to answer your question,I am from EDO State. If you insult or say anything bad about my people,just know that you have indirectly insulted your people too.

1 Like

Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by 1shortblackboy: 2:47am On Sep 16, 2014
Humility and respect comes from d heart. And not by outward show and gestures. Personally, I do not kneel or prostrate for no man

3 Likes

Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by jnrbayano(m): 7:54am On Sep 16, 2014
MayorofLagos:

show pictures of Igbo bowing and kneeling.

I am not in the picture-showing-category.

I just told you, if you wanna learn it's fine by me, if you don't, it's also fine by me.
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by susanbussy(f): 3:50pm On Sep 16, 2014
MayorofLagos:

What ethnic group do you belong and how do you demonstrate humility in your culture or your faith?

none!
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by susanbussy(f): 3:52pm On Sep 16, 2014
Enahi: What's wrong with my comment? You don't need to know my state of Origin,I have nothing against Yorubas. Look I don't pretend neither am I two faced,I say things the way I see them and I don't owe you an explanation for my opinion. This has got nothing to do with tribe,there is no perfect tribe and no tribe is superior to other tribes. And oh to answer your question,I am from EDO State. If you insult or say anything bad about my people,just know that you have indirectly insulted your people too.

why are you so angry lol take it easy ok?
Ndo...... grin
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by Enahi(f): 4:23pm On Sep 16, 2014
susanbussy:

why are you so angry lol take it easy ok?
Ndo...... grin
Lol am not angry joor,I gave him the answer he deserved.
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by kingston277(m): 5:09pm On Sep 16, 2014
1shortblackboy: Humility and respect comes from d heart. And not by outward show and gestures. Personally, I do not kneel or prostrate for no man
And I wont say "hello" to nor hug nor shake hands with no person since "Humility and respect comes from d heart. And not by outward show and gestures."
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by MayorofLagos(m): 2:13am On Sep 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

I am not in the picture-showing-category.

I just told you, if you wanna learn it's fine by me, if you don't, it's also fine by me.

i dont have time for tales by moonlight. Ibos have told many tales in the age before internet that were taken on their face value but later discredited when the liberty of internet revealed the lies. No more face value for Ibo stories, you are not credible.

Show Ibo bows and kneels in picture..this topic is specific! If you dont have it stop responding.....this is a show and tell topic, not a place to spin fabulous non existing cultural practice.

here is another demonstration of Yoruba heritage for humility and grace....in far away Argentina.
Re: Prostration (Idobale)....act Of Humility (Omoluabi) by MayorofLagos(m): 2:14am On Sep 17, 2014

(1) (Reply)

The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). / Most Cheapest And Most Expensive Places To Marry In Nigeria (bride Prices) / Native Names And Meaning Of Ebiras In Okene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.