Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,865 members, 7,802,780 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? (3229 Views)

Isn't It Blasphemous To Call The Bible "God's Word" When It Makes Him Look Bad? / How Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart? / Is Satan Really Such A Bad Person? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Itusco: 10:07am On Sep 14, 2014
The Israelites were held hostage in Egypt until God interceded on their behalf, the manner in which they were delivered will always remain one of the most unsolved mysteries of all time. Moses was sent to demonstrate the miraculous power of God against one of the world's greatest empires at the height of its glory. Israel was delivered from Egypt by means of devastating plagues to demonstrate God's wonders as the supreme Lord of creation, to fulfill the Abrahamic Covenant, and to evangelize the world.

But to me, the scapegoat in all this was Pharaoh - the most powerful man of his generation. Plagues after plague, he was willing to let the isaraelis go until God hardened his heart. Pharaoh did not harden his heart, God did. So my question goes thus, why did God harden Pharaoh's heart hence making him look like the most terrific king of all time?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by bright007(f): 10:22am On Sep 14, 2014
jamb qwession
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by mankand(m): 10:26am On Sep 14, 2014
It's all a myth. It never happened

5 Likes

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 14, 2014
Plagues after plague, he was willing to let the isaraelis go until God hardened his heart. Pharaoh did not harden his heart, God did
And Christians talk about free will..

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Belexy95: 10:47am On Sep 14, 2014
That was what pharoah wanted. God did not harden his heart, He only permitted pharoah to do so.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Sep 14, 2014
Belexy95: That was what pharoah wanted. God did not harden his heart, He only permitted pharoah to do so.

You guys always twisting the word of your God. Didn't your Bible say that your God did it to show Pharaoh his might (sadism, I should call it).

2 Likes

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by majorgr: 6:21pm On Sep 14, 2014
If u culd research deeply, at the end of everything in the deep sea, God sent an angel to remove Pharoah from the see so he culd finally get to see His miraculous power and wonder at it. Pharoah at the end of everything believed God and worshipped Him. That's why the Bible said for unto this purpose you hav been risen to see d miraculous power of God. Yes he was jst an instrument whom God used to show forth His wonders, but at the end of it all, God had mercy on him and delivered him from death.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by tpia1: 4:50am On Sep 15, 2014
he was a good person before?
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by tpia1: 4:50am On Sep 15, 2014
hifaif:
Didn't your Bible say that your God did it to show Pharaoh his might

is that a bad thing?
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Weah96: 5:06am On Sep 15, 2014
tpia1: he was a good person before?

The Saddam Hussein of his time. On a more serious note, this Christian God is a funny one.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Oduduwaboy(m): 5:11am On Sep 15, 2014
Belexy95: That was what pharoah wanted. God did not harden his heart, He only permitted pharoah to do so.
Why are twisting the word of god? You are on your way to hell fire ...you will burn forever and ever. Oh ! what a merciful god jehovah is?
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Oduduwaboy(m): 5:17am On Sep 15, 2014
majorgr: If u culd research deeply, at the end of everything in the deep sea, God sent an angel to remove Pharoah from the see so he culd finally get to see His miraculous power and wonder at it. Pharoah at the end of everything believed God and worshipped Him. That's why the Bible said for unto this purpose you hav been risen to see d miraculous power of God. Yes he was jst an instrument whom God used to show forth His wonders, but at the end of it all, God had mercy on him and delivered him from death.
So pharaoh is in heaven now? Good. But where is this your imagined story in the bible? stop talking about 'researches' that were not more than the rich imaginations of some extinct church folks. Remember the curse already put in place by jehovah concerning those who add to his word?
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 6:56am On Sep 15, 2014
majorgr: If u culd research deeply, at the end of everything in the deep sea, God sent an angel to remove Pharoah from the see so he culd finally get to see His miraculous power and wonder at it. Pharoah at the end of everything believed God and worshipped Him. That's why the Bible said for unto this purpose you hav been risen to see d miraculous power of God. Yes he was jst an instrument whom God used to show forth His wonders, but at the end of it all, God had mercy on him and delivered him from death.

Are you saying God slaughtered all those soldiers and eventually saved pharaoh just to prove who is stronger? Now just because you can read the bible does not make u a bible scholar
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 7:27am On Sep 15, 2014
tpia1:

is that a bad thing?

Yes. Sounds like what only a power-drunk god with human weaknesses would do.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by majorgr: 1:03pm On Sep 15, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
So pharaoh is in heaven now? Good. But where is this your imagined story in the bible? stop talking about 'researches' that were not more than the rich imaginations of some extinct church folks. Remember the curse already put in place by jehovah concerning those who add to his word?
nigizjay:
Are you saying God slaughtered all those soldiers and eventually saved pharaoh just to prove who is stronger? Now just because you can read the bible does not make u a bible scholar
I understand dat u are both concerned as to where I got this info. I wud hav showed u in details, unfortunately, I'm typing frm a mobile phone, dats why I culdnt bring out a more detailed description from the Bible. Other source, pls consult the Book of Jasher another archeological discovery jst as the old testament book, it was quoted in the Bible twice to inform readers that if they want confirmation and affirmation they shud read it. The book of jasher states a more detailed discription of wat realy transpired during the book of Genensis, and its chronological order is very accurate and remarkable, it has been interpreted frm its original Hebrew to English for easy comprehension. Now let me giv u the two part from the Bible dat told us to behold it is written in the Book of Jasher meaning as good scholars of God we shud research it: joshua 10:13 and 2sammuel 1:18. Afterall the Bible said at the witness of two or three the matter is established I hav given u two witnesses frm the Bible asking scholars who wish to further their research. I hav been researching the Word of God now for about 8yrs, I woundt hav much time here to decipher all it states in the Bible now, bt it is a remarkable experience to get to understand fully the book of Genesis in details. I strongly suggest u shud study this book it was written in striking resemblance of the scripture. Afterall it was even quoted in the Bible and many other such saints in the Bible also quoted it including Stephen before he was stoned! A note of warning it is more dan 400pages, and be careful not to get the ffake one, many people of old tried to fake this book, to help u, the word jasher is from an Hebrew origin, it is not d name of any prophet as some may hav written wrong material using this name, the word jasher means upright, in other word, it is the book of the upright. For the other poster, note carefully, I did not say pharoah went to heaven I said he later came to the realisation of God supreme powers and belived, whether he went to heaven or not, I do not knw, I'm simply telling u wat happened back then. Thank U.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Oduduwaboy(m): 1:19pm On Sep 15, 2014
majorgr: I understand dat u are both concerned as to where I got this info. I wud hav showed u in details, unfortunately, I'm typing frm a mobile phone, dats why I culdnt bring out a more detailed description from the Bible. Other source, pls consult the Book of Jasher another archeological discovery jst as the old testament book, it was quoted in the Bible twice to inform readers that if they want confirmation and affirmation they shud read it. The book of jasher states a more detailed discription of wat realy transpired during the book of Genensis, and its chronological order is very accurate and remarkable, it has been interpreted frm its original Hebrew to English for easy comprehension. Now let me giv u the two part from the Bible dat told us to behold it is written in the Book of Jasher meaning as good scholars of God we shud research it: joshua 10:13 and 2sammuel 1:18. Afterall the Bible said at the witness of two or three the matter is established I hav given u two witnesses frm the Bible asking scholars who wish to further their research. I hav been researching the Word of God now for about 8yrs, I woundt hav much time here to decipher all it states in the Bible now, bt it is a remarkable experience to get to understand fully the book of Genesis in details. I strongly suggest u shud study this book it was written in striking resemblance of the scripture. Afterall it was even quoted in the Bible and many other such saints in the Bible also quoted it including Stephen before he was stoned! A note of warning it is more dan 400pages, and be careful not to get the ffake one, many people of old tried to fake this book, to help u, the word jasher is from an Hebrew origin, it is not d name of any prophet as some may hav written wrong material using this name, the word jasher means upright, in other word, it is the book of the upright. For the other poster, note carefully, I did not say pharoah went to heaven I said he later came to the realisation of God supreme powers and belived, whether he went to heaven or not, I do not knw, I'm simply telling u wat happened back then. Thank U.

Okay. At least you have agreed that the bible is not a complete or perfect work as we have been made to believe...it needs to be supported by the Book of Jasher where ever that came from. Why do you think the book of jasher is any different from the apocryphal or the book of mormons or the seven books of moses?

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by tpia1: 3:22pm On Sep 15, 2014
hifaif:

Yes. Sounds like what only a power-drunk god with human weaknesses would do.

oh well, no one said life was fair.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 15, 2014
tpia1:

oh well, no one said life was fair.

Don't understand you
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by tpia1: 3:33pm On Sep 15, 2014
how should i explain?
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Sep 15, 2014
tpia1: how should i explain?

I wouldn't mind understanding how god hardening a man's heart just to destroy him and his people becomes an issue that supports the fact that life is not always fair.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by tpia1: 3:56pm On Sep 15, 2014
was there no other option for pharaoh besides the hardening of his heart?

were his choices limited to that alone?

and no, life isnt fair, that's how the cookie crumbles my dear.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Sep 15, 2014
tpia1: was there no other option for pharaoh besides the hardening of his heart?

Can a puppet choose?

Who is to blame if the puppet knocks over a glass of water? The puppet or the person controlling the puppet?

Who are we to blame for the pharoah's "hardened heart" in the exodus legend? The Pharoah or the God that "hardened his heart"

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Sep 15, 2014
tpia1: was there no other option for pharaoh besides the hardening of his heart?

You talk of choices. What choices when god kept on hardening his heart. There were clearly no choice. The only choice was to stop the Israelites from leaving (a choice caused by the hardening of his heart. Something he didn't decide for himself. A choice that was made for him by god).

I agree life isn't fair though. But in the case of that particular pharaoh, it was god that was not fair.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by tpia1: 4:24pm On Sep 15, 2014
Martian:

Can a puppet choose?

Who is to blame if the puppet knocks over a glass of water? The puppet or the person controlling the puppet?

Who are we to blame for the pharoah's "hardened heart" in the exodus legend? The Pharoah or the God that "hardened his heart"

so his heart was not hard before, right?

you are only complaining because it got harder.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by tpia1: 4:25pm On Sep 15, 2014
hifaif:

You talk of choices. What choices when god kept on hardening his heart. There were clearly no choice. The only choice was to stop the Israelites from leaving (a choice caused by the hardening of his heart. Something he didn't decide for himself. A choice that was made for him by god).

I agree life isn't fair though. But in the case of that particular pharaoh, it was god that was not fair.

did the Israelites suddenly decide to leave for no reason?

when mercy is not your forte, then dont complain when hardness becomes your weakness.

Life can never be fair, this is something you have to learn.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 15, 2014
tpia1:

I don't know if it was hard, soft or semi-solid. My question is, who is to blame for the puppet's actions? The puppet(pharoah) or the puppeteer( yahwey)
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 15, 2014
tpia1:

did the Israelites suddenly decide to leave for no reason?

when mercy is not your forte, then dont complain when hardness becomes your weakness.

Life can never be fair, this is something you have to learn.

I am sorry, I may never understand how your post helps this thread. Tanx for sharing your thoughts with me though.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 15, 2014
tpia1:

the legend says your
1) your god killed all the first borns
2) It was because of Pharoah's hardened heart
3)god hardened paharoah's heart

Let's assume, tpia1 was an Egyptian in this story. Who does Tpia1 blame for the death of his first born?
The Pharoah or God?

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 15, 2014
there were about 170 pharoahs and their names are known, if d bible is not a scam, why did they not name the specific pharoah involved. ur guess is as good as mine it never happened . that story is jst plain BS.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by tpia1: 5:00pm On Sep 15, 2014
hifaif:

I am sorry, I may never understand how your post helps this thread. Tanx for sharing your thoughts with me though.

you should first try to understand why you're suddenly trying to make pharaoh a good guy who suddenly got his heart hardened, instead of acknowledging he was a bad guy from the getgo who was offered many chances to repent, all of which he turned down.
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 15, 2014
tpia1:

you should first try to understand why you're suddenly trying to make pharaoh a good guy who suddenly got his heart hardened, instead of acknowledging he was a bad guy from the getgo who was offered many chances to repent, all of which he turned down.

How would he have accepted the many chances to repent when the person offering the chances was also making it impossible for him to accept?

How would you feel if you were shackled and dying of thirst and I placed a bowl of water before you but refuse to unshackle you?
Re: Why Did God Harden Pharaoh's Heart, Hence Making Him Look Like A Bad Person? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 15, 2014
tpia1:

He was offered no chance that I read of. Can you state one chance he was given before god began hardening his heart?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Happy Birthday Mother Mary! (photos) / I Vowed To Give God My First Salary, Now I'm Broke And Need The Money. / Video and pictures Pastor Caught Having Sex With Church Members Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.