Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,644 members, 7,805,714 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos (29796 Views)

Buhari Approves $2.4bn For Construction Of Red Line Rail In Lagos / Ogun Begins Construction Of Light Rail In Sango-Ijoko-Akute-Alagbole / In Pictures Fashola Inspects Trains, Facilities For Lagos Light Rail In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by toxnaija: 7:47pm On Nov 05, 2008
midas02,
I am still expecting your call.I need to have a chat with you urgently.Thanks for the beautiful piece especially the great pictures.

backslider,
Yours was also superb.I just forwarded it to the gov.I want as many Nigerians to come up with great proposals for the Lagos megacity project.I promise that Gov.Fashola will see and go through every article.Eko o ni baje ooo!
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Backslider(m): 8:24pm On Nov 05, 2008
how come the many refineries licenced are not performing wonders?

The refineries are a different ball game. The Problem is the crude oil and the pricing of petroleum refined products

1) You sell a liter of petrol for lets us say 1000 naira you will have a lot of refinery companies springing up why ?the return on investment is gauranteed almost immediately.

2) It is easier to sell crude oil. It is like Gold. The demand on crude oil is so much so no one will waste his time to refine when he will not make any money on refine products. If I gave you a million barrels of Crude oil you will prefer to sell it and make your cool money. I have been cracking my brain on how to solve this problem.

how come the many power plant licenced are not performing wonders?
With the power Licences is 2 things

1) is Pricing. How much will be fixed as hoour rate and Can and will you pay for it?
2) Is the national grid yet to be completed or completed(i don't know)

GSM infra is not same as ruining metro system

It is the same Running a metro system is even easier as the companies immediately start to make money.

4 to 10 million move in and out of Lagos a day just multiply by 100 naira then you know what we are talking about.

The Problem is equals to money. Lagos will make money of this problem but it must be done transparently.

FASHOLA NAME WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY AS ONE THAT SAVED LAGOS FROM THE FILTH AND DISODERLINESS WITH THE POLLUTION WE NOW SEE.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Pappy: 3:10am On Nov 06, 2008
Privatize roads?? Maybe a few but not all. How will these companies make money? Privatizing roads is a recipe for disaster. I also think Lagos rail has to be overhead because ground level rail is a recipe for disaster. Everything else is pretty much on point.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 3:15am On Nov 06, 2008
Landis & Knowall,
The kind of Metro-system I have proposed does not use or need electricity.  If you read my initial and latter inputs, you will see that I specifically stated this. What I propose using is DEMU technology. This means Diesel-Electric Multiple Units and they essentially use diesel fuel.

Backslider,
Although we share a commonality in purpose, passion and zeal, I must however respectfully disagree with your proposal and methods. The USA is the most advanced and capitalistic economy in the world. Yet, even they, have not successfully tried to sell their roads to private enterprise!  I know that currently in Nigeria, there is ebbing and glowing enthusiasm for privatization, capital market enterprise and venture capitalism. However, we have to be careful and we must understand that privatization has limitations and has its place and there are simply some things that are best  done by the government! There is a purpose and social reason for which a government exists! Government social responsibilities and objectives are often projects and tasks that are not directly monetarily profitable, but are done for the common good (extremely rewarding in non-monetary terms). The reward for such laudable tasks come in other forms such as development,  growth, peace, security and improved quality of life amongst other things. I will take the time to explain why I think your prepositions are unworkable:

- Business ventures are only interested in getting the highest rate of return for their investments and we both know that with roads, that is very unlikely. Consequently, there will be little or no incentive to bid. (The rate of return on investment (ROI) in road construction is simply too low!)
- For a long time, the government has been incapable of holding Contractors accountable for default on road contract obligations. Can you imagine what will happen when these Contractors now own the roads?
- The traffic in Lagos is already hellish without toll gates. The system you propose is going to make toll plazas ubiquitous and traffic will make Lagos the hottest part of hell!
- Lagos state already has an environment of free capitalistic endeavor in transportation industry. Government has been encouraging & inviting companies to join the BRT program with little or no success.
- Why would any business want to spend N100 million to get a license for an opportunity that is currently available for free and there are still no takers?
- In approving 4 or 5 companies you will create massive monopolies while destroying the basic tenet of free market – this leads to price fixing, market strangulation and manipulation if not efficiently monitored by government (and you know how inefficient the government can be).
- Waiving taxes and duty is a federal prerogative not a state prerogative.
- Road tax on every car licensed in Lagos will only make most Lagosians go to some other state to register their cars. (Especially when the tax amount is outrageous). The only way this could work is if it is a federal decision.

It is important to remember that, even when faced with the most difficult tasks, the fundamental tenet and responsibility of a civilized government is to respect and protect the rights of citizens and to uphold human dignity, improve living conditions while keeping alight, the glowing torch of hope and aspiration for a better tomorrow.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 4:29am On Nov 06, 2008
I realize that the scope and scale of the proposed Metro-system project can be both intimidating and discouraging. However, we have to remember that nothing of this scale is ever accomplished in a short time. This kind of project could easily take even the best governments 6-10 years to complete. When you look at it in that light, one soon realizes that $4Billion is not such an unattainable or huge commitment! With this in mind, I propose that the Metro-system should be built in (4 or 5) phases. Each and every phase must be modular, integrated and completely independent of future phases in both operation and function.  ‘Phase 1’ should entail the construction of the “Red Line” which is the central line upon which the rest of the lines are built. The Red Line in 'Phase 1' will have 17 surface Stations, 40km of standard gauge railway track, 32 rolling stock DEMU units, a twin track concrete bridge into Lagos Island, a comprehensive maintenance facility and an integrated fare system infrastructure. I estimate that ‘Phase 1’ will cost about $380 million or there about (under $400 million!). This low budget is by virtue of the fact that 'Phase 1' is built entirely on an existing but neglected Right-of-Way that belongs to NRC. Incidentally, this is also probably going to be the busiest axis in the entire proposed Metro-system. ‘Phase 1’ is projected to have the capacity to handle 500,000 passengers daily in an 18hour operation cycle (5am – 11pm). Projected completion time is reasonably estimated to be 24-28 months.

Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by blackspade(m): 5:35am On Nov 06, 2008
Midas02, this is a very ambitious plan, and I have to say you must have spent a great ordeal of time thinking this up. great job.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by KnowAll(m): 11:11am On Nov 06, 2008
I dont think Broad street is the hub in lagos anymore, I think it is VI, phase one should terminate there. There are more busineses in VI than Broad Street.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by KnowAll(m): 4:29pm On Nov 06, 2008
@Midas02

Try and get in touch with ToxNaija, he seems to be able to present your proposal to the Governor. My take is any development would start from VI since Fashola is already commited to the EKO Atalntic City projected as a development goal, and the basis of this new city incorporates Lekki Penisula , so any metro development will start from there and head towards lagos Island westward and Epe Eastwards. So your plan dignified and comprehensive as it is should incorporate VI as its hub.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by zoomzu(f): 4:55pm On Nov 06, 2008
@ Midas02 why not get in touch with Toxnaija and let us know where we go from here. We won't keep quiet untill it get to that place and they say no to it. but no reasonable person will not see sences in what you presented. Thumbs up for Midas02, Applause for Toxnaija for believing in NEW LAGOS!!! Ekooo nii Baje!
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by toxnaija: 7:17pm On Nov 06, 2008
midas02,

thanks for the call a few minutes ago.I can assure you of the Governor's commitment.please send a comprehensive proposal and your contact details for onward transmission to him.I will be expecting them in my mail box at the weekend so that I would be able to discuss them with the governor next week.I am very grateful for believing so much in turning around the nation just like me.Regards.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Gamine(f): 7:30pm On Nov 06, 2008
This is Great

But Diesel? undecided
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Backslider(m): 8:31pm On Nov 06, 2008
@Midas02

If you were a contractor in Nigeria you would understand that you are condemned to be Corrupt or you move out of the business.

"Selling" the road takes the load of government but the same government will be responsible for regulation. The cost of constructing and maintaining road is little compared to the BRIBES KICKBACKS the contractors Pay.

The responsibility of the government would be to make sure that the ROADS are constructed well, maintained, Monies released from the LAGOS STATE ROAD FUND to the contractors and take any sanctions against any Licensed Road Operator.

There will be responsibility of the government to take and reposses the road and give it to another road Operator. Road Users will have the Right to take the Road Operator to court.

Our Government does not sell drugs but We have Nafdac.

We dont have any Government bank but we have we have the CBN doing a good Job or regulations.

The Overhead cost of investing in Project Like roads is exponential The cost component of BRIBES AND KICKBACKs is as high as 80% The way to eliminate this is by going the way of the GSM.

You must know that true business people will not want to do dirty.

With our banks very Strong now we can Acheive this easily.

The Overhead cost will scare the daylight out of you. You have a good Idea but when politicians begin to dip their hands into it you will see that what was 20 naira will be 200 thousand naira.

A good example is the Under 17 world cup.

A good Popular Idea can and may be washed down by greed and corruption.

When you have put your Ideas and you have the government Approving it Now what will happen is that the middlemen will want to make a fortune. Just to sign a paper some people will ask you to bring ridiculous amounts of Monies.

The machines that will be used will be over burdened with so many 10% that could come up to 1000%.

Take a company wanted to supply machines worth $200,000 Each the procurement officer made sure that that the company changed it price to 1million dollar. The company dissagreed that it would not do that the procurement officer made sure that the company did not get the contract to supply. The contract was given to another person that was ready to play ball The rest is history.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Builder: 8:48pm On Nov 06, 2008
Yet another white elephant project , ordinary power supply we no get, may the almighty destroy all them VIP , vagabonds in power
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Backslider(m): 8:51pm On Nov 06, 2008
@MIDAS02

Lagos state already has an environment of free capitalistic endeavor in transportation industry. Government has been encouraging & inviting companies to join the BRT program with little or no success.

government has no need to encourage people. The real players will come when they know the rule is "get a license and operate" with no need to pay any other Bribe or Kickback. when I know I can make money Legitimately no need to beg me to put my money. "Free Capitalist" include 20 nairalization and Agbero/Areaboysm! Transport is never for individual Entreprise atleast not for one of the most populated cities of the world like Lagos. Look at the free market that gives OKADA RIDERS people from NIGER (niamey) RUNNING 20 to 30 % of the transportation of Lagos state? There by Causing massive pollution in the state.

-   Why would any business want to spend N100 million to get a license for an opportunity that is currently available for free and there are still no takers?

The fact is that the 100 million $ is small fry compared to monies that will be made over the years. You will pay no single tax for the next five to ten years to the state
besides the 100 million is just a sugestion it could go higher or lower.

-   In approving 4 or 5 companies you will create massive monopolies while destroying the basic tenet of free market – this leads to price fixing, market strangulation and manipulation if not efficiently monitored by government (and you know how inefficient the government can be).

No sir no monopoly at all there will be competition and I trust Nigerian Business men they will want more licences to be sold and that could be done after some years so that those that have invested monies will recover their money. please there is nothing like FREE free market you must regulate. Go and ask Bush why he bailed out the banks.

-   Waiving taxes and duty is a federal prerogative not a state prerogative.

Yes true and the state government will work to see to it that they are exempted from tax. There must a reason why God gave us a port in Lagos state.

-   Road tax on every car licensed in Lagos will only make most Lagosians go to some other state to register their cars. (Especially when the tax amount is outrageous). The only way this could work is if it is a federal decision.

The theme of what I was saying is you can't USE my LAGOS STATE road If you don't have LAGOS STATE  CAR  USAGE  ROAD TAX.  Now if you don't have itbecos you dont live in lagos, there is a way we will help you as you may not live in Lagos. WHAT WE DO IS TO GIVE YOU A TEMPORARY ROAD PERMIT AT A FEE AND WITH AN EXPIRATION DATE AS YOU ENTER LAGOS STATE.

The state does not need to spend a kobo on Roads any more you don't need to beg people to invest in the transport business. The state will become very rich.
Please we are only sharing Ideas and I don't believe I know everything.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Backslider(m): 8:53pm On Nov 06, 2008
@builder

It is very easy to curse people and sing about the problem. It takes time and maybe years to think up a solution.
Be a solution minded Nigerian
God Bless Nigeria
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Builder: 9:38pm On Nov 06, 2008
@backslider,

If they cant get the simple basics right, basics like constant power suply, running water, affordable accomodation, good

drainage system, good roads, hospitals etc what hope have they got in pulling a successful project such as the

proposed. Not too ago in lagos we had the mass transit tranport civilian buses which was a good idea then but now

where are they and many other projects that never lasted more than 2 years.

Its all good talking big and looking good, this is a city that wants to run before it can ever walk, it took great

cities like london, NY, Munich, etc decades to be where it is today but this is a country that is riddled with corruption, a

country with no maintaince culture and officials with misplaced priorities, not too long ago, we kept hearing the

melody " "Housing for all by the year 2000" bro this is 2009 where are the promised housing. Dont get me wrong i want

the best for the city and country but questions need to be asked. I for one im sick and tired of listening and watching

these idiots talking bout sweet nothing, what lagos needs now is mass emigration, housing, employment and not some

useless projects that will give rise to embezzlement, bribery , u know the rest. God help lagos
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Backslider(m): 11:46am On Nov 07, 2008
@Builder

You just need to be optimistic atleast we Got the 1) Phone 2) bank Right It remains the Transport and Lagos can show the way before other cities become heavily populated.

Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Pappy: 11:14pm On Nov 07, 2008
@ builder

There's no such thing as "do this before we do that" it's completely irrelevant in this case because most of these things aren't mutually exclusive. If someone wants to build an efficient transport system right now I'd welcome it. I agree that we need other things but I won't say they shouldn't build a rail after they've effectively supplied water or power to 100% efficiency, that's rubbish.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by DisGuy: 1:53am On Nov 08, 2008
Its all good talking big and looking good
Thank you!

funy thing is most of what is on here is on the lagos state website or megacity website so its not as if they dont know what to do, where is the money and expertise to do all these? the laws are not even in favour of some of these things

The fact is that the 100 million $ is small fry compared to monies that will be made over the years. You will pay no single tax for the next five to ten years to the state
besides the 100 million is just a sugestion it could go higher or lower.

So why are these private big boys not rushing in to take positions?
Why arent the banks rushing in to make more $$$$?

No sir no monopoly at all there will be competition and [b]I trust Nigerian Business men they will want more licences to be sold [/b]and that could be done after some years so that those that have invested monies will recover their money. please there is nothing like FREE free market you must regulate. Go and ask Bush why he bailed out the banks.

Do you know the uproar and accusation that followed the initiative to give out more cement importation license?
Especially from cement manufacturers in the country who are already enjoying the high price of cement even though they have been been overstating their manufacturing capacity!

And you should see the reaction of some telecoms coy over some rumour about the FG giving nigcomsat* license to operate as end user service providers
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Backslider(m): 1:19pm On Nov 09, 2008
So why are these private big boys not rushing in to take positions?
Why arent the banks rushing in to make more $$$$?

Very Simple The government has not shown the way. For me or you to put our money the system must be published and advertised. The system where things are done in the dark as if you gambling will not allow for true business men to come out.

For the money bags to put their money into transport you must have incentives and the conducive environment. That is why I suggested we 'sell' of all the roads because this is where we are loosing huge amounts of money and we are still lagging. The reason is that a bad road in the control of government is a License for the middle men, government agent and finally the contractor to make a lot of money that are unnecessary overheads.

There must transparency.

The money bags know that having sole authority by a government without knowing the government personally is a good deal. Let me put it down in mathematical terms for you.

if 4 licenses are issued to say 4 money bags with one reserved for the NURTW what it means is that 1 firm is responsible for movement of one fifth of people and goods in the whole of Lagos state for 5 to 10 years.

lets say 5 million move in and arround of Lagos state per day. The average tranportion for this 5million is say 200naira and lets say only 1.2 million want to use public transport. You have a minimum of 240 million naira a day which is 2million dollars a day in a year that will be 730 million USD and in 5 years that will $3.65 billion in ten years 10 $7.3 billion. remember this is the minimum and besides you have not talked about TAXIS and MOVEMENT OF GOODS.

TRANSPORTATION BUSINESS IS NOT A TABLE TOP BUSINESS FOR INDIVIDUALS. IN GHANA I KNEW THAT THE MASS TRANSPORT WAS GOING TO FAIL BECAUSE IT WAS DRIVEN BY PURE POLITICAL WILL AND NOT A BUSINESS MINDSET. YOU NEED A POLITICAL WILL BUSINESS MINDSET AND TRANSPARENCY. GIVE YOUR POLITICAL RIVAL THE CHANCE TO PARTATKE SO THAT PEOPLE CAN HAVE A SENSE THAT WE ARE TOGETHER AND THEY WILL KNOW WHAT KIND OF OPPOSITION THEY HAVE.

When giving out the licenses you are saying no one can move anybody or goods in Lagos state without this five licensed bodies. Go and ask any good bank manager he will tell you to get the Licenses quick.

Do you know the uproar and accusation that followed the initiative to give out more cement importation license?
Especially from cement manufacturers in the country who are already enjoying the high price of cement even though they have been been overstating their manufacturing capacity!

And you should see the reaction of some telecoms coy over some rumour about the FG giving nigcomsat* license to operate as end user service providers

Yes there will be Uproar but the government has the RIGHT TO PROTECT THE CITIZENS FROM OVERMILKING BY THE MONEY BAGS. Imagine if it was government that was importing the Cement themselves the situation would have been worse by now.

The truth is that the Cement manufacturers cannot meet up with DEMAND and they are ready to tell lies so that it will look as there is Scarcity (this is why you need ECONOINTELLIGENCE men that will report so that tax will be charged on what they claim they produce) WHEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM YOU MUST HAVE MEN THAT YOU SHOULD SEND SECRETLY TO FIND OUT THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM BEFORE OUR POLITICAL TECHNOCRATS ARE MADE TO ADVISE ON THE MATTER.

The telecoms companies have made their money Long time ago. You see that $285 million for GSM licenses they have made that money over and over. A South African told me the Licenses are like MONEY PRINTING MACHINES.

INFACT THERE MUST BE ROOM TO ADD MORE PEOPLE SO THAT THE COMPANIES WILL HURRY TO GET THE MARKET BEFORE ANYONE ELSE GETS IN. IF AND WHEN WE DO THESE THINGS YOU WILL SEE SO MANY INNOVATIONS YOU WILL WONDER WHERE ALL THIS WAS BEFORE.

LET ME JUST HELP YOU

SUPPOSING COMPANY "A" WANTS TO RAISE QUICK MONEY FOR ANYTHING HE CAN SAY I AM SELLING A GOLD CARD FOR OFFICE WORKERS IT COST YOU SAY $2000 TO MOVE ARROUND IN THE WHOLE YEAR GIVE ME $1000 NOW AND YOU DONT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT TRANSPORT FEES ONCE YOU HAVE THAT GOLD CARD.

NOW THIS MEANS 2 THINGS FOR THE BUSINESS AND THE PASSENGER.

FOR THE BUSINESS

IF YOU CAN GET 100 THOUSAND PEOPLE ON THIS GOLD CARD SCHEME YOU ARE MAKING $1,00,000,000 ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS

FOR THE PASSENGER
THE PASSENGER HAS SAVED 50% COST ON TRANPORTION FOR THE WHOLE YEAR.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by jla2008: 1:51pm On Nov 09, 2008
You did not mention the thousands of jobs that will be created in this process and also on-going.  This job creation is another source of revenue to the government in terms of taxes collected (with proper tax enforcement).

It is a win-win situation.

This is good stuff and very thoughtfully crafted. I believe also that it needs dedicated people who are result oriented and have moral standards to accomplish projects on time and on budget. We need to adhere to standards that dictates that people in government are there to serve the people and their country rather than to make themselves rich in office. Bravo!
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by klarry79: 8:41pm On Nov 09, 2008
Midas02 - A well thought-out idea but the issue is not ideas it is leadership.
We do need a MASS TRANSIT SYSTEM in the true sense of the word but right now
i think only FASHOLA amongst the governors (or even federal ministers) have the semblance
of a leader willing to make a difference. Such ideas can be forwarded to him.
In fact right now there is a stackholders meet being organized by Lagos State Govt.
to galvanize investment in the Lagos Metro Project

As for Yar'Adua and his Chinese backed Metro project, maybe we'll see some semblance of action
when my 5 month old son graduates from university.

Midas thanks once again for this effort but the truth is our leaders know what must be done
they have travelled and seen how things are in the developed world but
THEY SIMPLY ARE NOT INTERESETED IN DEVELOPING THE COUNTRY
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Biioola(f): 12:47pm On Nov 10, 2008
i agree with you totally We should look for how to reduce the number of cars on the road and not add to them, i actually am working on how that will work.I have been able to get two companies that manufacture the trains which can cover about 300-200km /hrOne in China and the other inGermany.I think thats great it will avail people more time with their family cause within 15mins you can get anywhere in Lagos.Reduce stress of traffic jam.The challenge now is how to get it to the government.It will not only improve transportation but also provide large job opportunities.And the roads will not always collapse too soon.I think this is a lasting solution.Anyone interested come on board
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 9:10pm On Nov 11, 2008
Biiola,

I recently read an article where the Nigerian government was making preparation and arrangements for nuclear power plant facilities. I laughed to the point of rolling on the floor (but it is a sad laugh too!). I have never been able to understand why we always feel the need to outdo and ridicule ourselves before a world audience!. Here is a nation that failed to maintain a simple coal fired powerplant and has NOT the organizational intellect to maintain a gas turbine plant (even as we speak), yet they strut around in obtuse ignorance and promenade, talking about Nuclear power - A technology that is capable of destroying an entire nation if mishandled! Currently, any nation that is using nuclear power technology, has had to develop it themselves! It is simply not a technology that one can buy on the shelf! It is as if what is going on with Iran and North korea is totally lost unto us! We make ourselves the laughing stock of the world when we exhibit such ignorant and unschooled naiveness.

For a nation to build and maintain such advanced projects as 300km/h train, it should have been involved in less complicated railway projects for years (at least) and even at that, must be a nation with well horned maintenance culture and a high capacity for technological transfer. High speed train projects are very expensive and offer very poor return on investment. As a solution, high speed rail should not be so lightly suggested, at least not until other more feasible and workkable options have been exploited and exhausted. I would not say that it is impossible for Nigeria to build one however it is neither feasible nor viable at this stage of our development.

For any project to really succeed in Nigeria, we need to practice and understand the principle of K.I.S.S - which means "Keep It Simple and Straightforward". A Light Rail metro-system was suggested because:

- Lagos already has a railway right-of-way in all the right places!
- Light Rail based solution is the only solution capable of handling the required capacity
- Light Rail based technology is accepted, proven and tested worldwide
- Light Rail is cost efficient and is operationally low tech for easy sustenance
- Light Rail solution is durable, sustainable and scalable with urban growth
- Light Rail can reduce vehicular traffic and compliments existing urban infrastructure
- Lagos is a mega-city and rail technology is the established way to resolve transportation problems in such cities
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 6:24pm On Nov 12, 2008
I was just reading some statements left on this thread and got lost in thought. You can tell people are angry and fustrated! - to watch their purpose, and dreams, and hopes for a better tomorrow slip away, hijacked by depraved and incompetent leadership! To look at the horizon and see no end in sight, of a vicious cycle of corruption and greed of mythical proportions. To be raped, defrauded and demeaned repeatedly, again and again, by the very "leaders" charged with public trust and to have no relief in sight. To be humiliated, rejected, mocked and demeaned in foreign countries and to come home and be subjected to worse treatments!. To see acute immorality and corrupt perversions continuously rewarded and to watch true nobility, honour, hardwork and honesty, disdained and sent to the gallows, left to rot in misery. To listen to loud and lame speeches, endure grandiloquent plans that never come to fruition year after year and to see one's future, hopes and God given resources wasted on white elephant projects, squandered on redundant and obtuse minded projects and to have your sensibilities assaulted with hopeless visions, proclaimed and promoted by doomed and God forsaken 'leaders' - It is the most painful thing in the world!! cry And I share in that pain!

And now, they talk about Vision 2020!!. What the heck is Vision 2020?? How can a president who failed to fix ordinary roads (even the one to his own hometown) in 8 years have any vision?? I guess it makes sense for a nation to move from the 158th position (out of a possible 177 positions!) to the 20th position of the Human Development Index, in the space of 12 years!! Especially a 'great' country like Nigeria which has spent the last 20 years in absolute and complete failure! - failing to provide even the most basic infrastructural needs - national infrastructures such as oil refineries, power plants and road networks have gone to the dogs!. And now the same pack of morons suddenly have a vision! Yar'dua was in London, talking about vision 2020 and I watched in dismay, as the Westerners in attendance mockingly nodded their heads. What irks me most is not just the ubiquitous failures and lameness, but the so called 'Vision' and the mockery and ridicule that such uneducated, unintelligent and unrealistic projections bring upon our nation! Take a simple look at the history of any developed nation and see how long they have been at it, understanding the systematic and intelligent application of scarce resources to achieve their objectives over time - this tells the whole story!. It baffles me that while we have not even shown that we are able to successfully accomplish what the Roman Empire accomplished 2000 years ago (Colliseum, Water Aqueduct, Roads, Bridges etc), much less what developed nations demonstrated 60 - 100 years ago (Industrialisation, WW2 technology and social Organisation), we are willing to strut around, in abyssmal ignorance, consumed with 'epileptic fits' and moronic 'nuclear visions' of the year 2020!.

What "Vision"? - How about showing us what obasanjo did with the $200 billion oil windfall in his 8 years of misrule?? How about showing a little humility and learning to climb a tree from the bottom up, rather than this wasteful, senseless and unproductive synapses that lead us to believe we can do the unthinkable and climb from the top down!. We need to tell these leaders to stop having 'visions' and to start showing us productive, efficacious and intelligent, step by step plans - and it starts with fixing the terrible mess which 30 years of misrule and misdeeds has left the nation grappling with!. It is amazing just how much damage a single generation can inflict on a nation! If it took 30 years to utterly destroy the hopes and aspiration of a nation, it will certainly take a heck of a lot more than 12 years to fix it, even with a genius behind the wheels! - and we all know that the present crop of leaders are NO geniuses!!! (not even close)
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by realcool: 9:55pm On Nov 12, 2008
nice post.all i know is that Nigeria police go start train stop and search because u go hear say Na train robbers dey use now.corruption is 9ja greatest problem
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by DisGuy: 7:25pm On Nov 13, 2008
A source close to the project consultants told Business Day that contract for the project is about to be awarded and will be in two parts: design-build contract, and request for the expression of interest for the operations.
“Those expressing interest must have partners experienced in rail operations,” the source said.
The rail mass transit system will consist of two separate projects branded as Blue and Red lines.
The Blue Line which is projected to cost $700 million will run East-West along a 27- kilometre corridor starting at Okokomaiko and terminating at Marina. The Red Line on the other hand will run North-South along a 31- kilometre corridor, starting at Agbado and terminating at Marina.
Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) managing director, Dayo Mobereola, told Business Day that when completed the Blue Line will be lifting 300,000 – 400,000 passengers per day while the Red line will lift 1.3 million. That is, close to two million passengers will be lifted by both lines which are expected to be developed simultaneously.
According to Mobereola, the Blue Line will start with an initial eight coaches, to be extended later to 12 while the red Line will start with 12 coaches which will be extended to 16.
With respect to the fare to be charged on those routes, decision will be taken towards the conclusion of the project. But the LAMATA boss indicated that the agency would take into consideration existing bus fares but assured it would be reasonable and affordable.
They are looking at a fare between N100 and N130 from Okokomaiko and Agbado to Marina.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by DisGuy: 7:27pm On Nov 13, 2008
[size=14pt]Fashola leads rail investment promotion to Dubai, London[/size]

Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola is leading a marketing drive to Dubai and London in an effort to attract investors to participate in the development of two metro rail lines which construction commences next year.
[Fashola]

The two rail lines are the Red Line (Agbado to Marina) and Blue Line (Okokomaiko to Marina). Both are projected to carry more than 1.6 million passengers per day.
To this end, the government is opening a window of opportunity in the rail projects in which high stakes are available to willing investors in the rail system for which the first in a series of investment fora opens in Lagos on November 11, 2008 at the Civic Centre, Ozumba Mbadiwe Avenue, Victoria Island, Lagos.
The Lagos forum is targeted at both local and foreign investors to participate in the rail project estimated to cost more than $1 billion to provide infrastructure for two rail lines while the private sector is expected to contribute more than $1 billion in the provision of rolling stock and other operational equipment.
According to the managing director of the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA), Dayo Mobereola, the two rail lines are being implemented under the transportation agendum of the state chief executive who during his electioneering campaign had promised a holistic integrated transportation system for the state.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1178:fashola-leads-rail-investment-promotion-to-dubai-london-&catid=76:hot-topic&Itemid=202
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by yawatide(f): 10:20pm On Nov 13, 2008
Look no further - It is already being done grin

http://www.lagosrail.com/home/index.php
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by Midas02(m): 1:40am On Nov 14, 2008
Guys,
Thank you for the links. I am delighted to see that a similar idea is already proposed and its implementation is already in progress. I hope LAMATA is able to navigate the complex process from conception to completion, bringing this dream to its full potential. I believe Gov. Fashola is committed to doing the right thing in Lagos and hopefully, not too far from now, we will all be smiling and showing off our new Rail metro system.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by KnowAll(m): 10:09am On Nov 14, 2008
I just cant fathom how previous goverment left this for too long, no investor will ever have regret it, not in a city like lagos, where the trains will be shifting about a a million people a day. The revenue generated will surpass what the state currently gets from the Federal goverment. All other states should embark on projects that will increase their internally generated revenue. Not only will this project bring more revenue for the goverment it will also increase employment.
Re: Building A Rapid Mass Transit System (Metro-Rail) In Lagos by KnowAll(m): 10:33am On Nov 14, 2008
@Disguy & toxNaija :

The two rail lines are the Red Line (Agbado to Marina) and Blue Line (Okokomaiko to Marina). Both are projected to carry more than 1.6 million passengers per day.

I have a bit of reservation about 2 lines dumping 3 million people in marina, the designers should take note of certain realities 1) Marina is not the hub in lagos anymore. How will 3 million people travel from marina to VI where all the actions are. If the designers dont get this right we might end up with a bigger nightmare. 2) On a positive note the arrival of the trains in Marina might trigger a relocation boom of most bank from VI to Lagos Island. But I do not see that happening in the short term, as lagos island has been neglected for almost 2 decades now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Updates On The Lagos - Ibadan Railway Line (Photos) / Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel / School Bus Conveying Pupils Summersaults In Imo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.