Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,824 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (217600 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by chimerase2: 9:47am On Sep 20, 2014
peppyluv02: @ Arysexy, I think Imo has the highest number of men bearing female names. I met a cashier bearing Chidinma!my name sake!!, I so laughed at him that he was embarrased and I had to apologise.
Also my family friends from mbaise,Chioma and Chinyere.Both male and twins.
But its not an abuse like you termed it because their meaning all give glory to God.
same here I bear I femine name
One certain time I was writing ma exams one of our lectures dos days looked at ma I'd saw ma name he looked at me
Boi re u sure this ur name
I said but ma pix is der
Said eh but ur first name and middle name re all feminine name
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by sage2(m): 10:00am On Sep 20, 2014
adaobi123:

They'll still have igbo names. smiley First name or middle name

And if your hubby also happen to have this kinda mindset, then you sure may end up with names like Chidinma Adesua Omoruyi, Babatunde Emaka Afolabi or even Halima Amaka Maku. Sound more like chaos and anarchy to me. Some names doesn't just sound good together. But then, what do I even know. I am jass a small boy.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by skybeauty(f): 5:28pm On Sep 20, 2014
u must be thinking am from Aro no am from Agulu di na Anambara m'bia buruzie nwadiala na aro
OdenigboAroli:

Madam,where are u from?
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by nyerem(f): 10:06pm On Sep 21, 2014
U guys have 4gotte NKECHINYEREM
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 3:53pm On Sep 23, 2014
prettyamanda: seriously dude aint gud@ online fyts nd all buh u're. A bloody MOFO for ur stupidity ucango Bleep urself self-servicer!
who is making you annoyed girl
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 4:35pm On Sep 23, 2014
Everything chukwu chukwu
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 10:56am On Sep 24, 2014
Mondisweets: Everything chukwu chukwu
we love and respect God. Any problem you have with our culture?

4 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 11:04am On Sep 24, 2014
Vessi: we love and respect God. Any problem you have with our culture?
i never said i did undecided
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 11:07am On Sep 24, 2014
Mondisweets: i never said i did undecided
Good

4 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by sofunmikamgbo: 2:34pm On Sep 24, 2014
Odilafta: Mgbechikwere= When God permits

Mgbeke or Mgbee= cheesy

Ekwutosinammadibegi= Don't condemn your neigbour

Chukwualuka= God has done well

Odinakachukwu= It's in God's hands

Egezinaasiri= Stop listening to gossips

Lol, wicked names cheesy
The one i can't understand is why someone will call his or her child "Uwadiegwu" "Uwaezuoke" or "Echidime"
Mgbeke, Mgbafor, Mgborie, Mgbogonkwo, Nwayiogboyabasi (dunno any1 answers that name but my dad calls my aunt that when he wants to yab her)
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:32pm On Sep 25, 2014
skybeauty: u must be thinking am from Aro no am from Agulu di na Anambara m'bia buruzie nwadiala na aro

No,I didnt think you were Aro. I asked where you are from because the names you posted are similar to what is obtainable in Idenmili,where I hail from. By the way,why would you think I thought you were Aro ?
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Winifred468(f): 6:16pm On Aug 12, 2015
Op kindly tell us if "ODUNOKU" is an ibo name and its meaning.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by lat55(f): 7:56am On Oct 26, 2015
Please what does Kesandu mean??
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by lat55(f): 8:00am On Oct 26, 2015
wo1F:

That "Olaedo" would be so fab if she can maintain the name into her adult life rather than going for its short form - "Ola". To me without the "edo" it looses all the sweetness and indeed the whole intention behind the naming.

That in part is how the erudite scholar, Ngozi Adichie carved a niche for herself by maintaining all the syllabules of "CHIMAMANDA" turning it into a brand. Unlike this 21st century airheads who would jettison the "CHIM" upon entering the university

Please, what does Kesandu mean?
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Kojiek: 1:43pm On Nov 23, 2015
lat55:

Please, what does Kesandu mean?
Kesandu means "have a share of life" or "spread life to all"

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Kojiek: 2:22pm On Nov 23, 2015
In Abia North, we have names like: Udensi Mbansi Iheke Nmaju Oyidiya Ikodiya Anyadiya Ogbeialu Kalu Anya Agwu Okoji Okorocha or Okocha Ndukwo Eke Ukpabi Okorie Okpo Onwuchekwa Nnenna Nnanna Elendu Ugorji Orji Ojiugo (female) Erinma (female) Uzoaro " Aronma " Iroaenya " Ogbonne " Ukeje Ogwo Ogbokiri Chukwu Onyekwere Onyemerukwo Njoku Agu Iroukwu Ogba Okona Ogbonnaya Egbuchulam Okereke Uguru Udoma Okriko Agbai Opara Idika Ukaiwo Enyiebi Awa Oke Umazi Ogbaoso .....

3 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by lat55(f): 10:20pm On Nov 25, 2015
Kojiek:
Kesandu means "have a share of life" or "spread life to all"

Thanks much.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by odumchi: 5:13pm On Nov 26, 2015
Kojiek, I za eye?
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:18pm On Nov 27, 2015
Okeikpu:
No my dear! Am from Umudinkwa-Nnewi... Afuekwe & Avuekwe r they dsame
Yea.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:26pm On Nov 27, 2015
manny4life:

Chukwuemeka - God did it

Nzube - I don't know

Nzube means the thinking or planning of God.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by theDEVILisHERE: 1:15pm On Nov 29, 2015
Kojiek:
In Abia North, we have names like:
Udensi
Mbansi
Iheke
Nmaju
Oyidiya
Ikodiya
Anyadiya
Ogbeialu
Kalu
Anya
Agwu
Okoji
Okorocha or Okocha
Ndukwo
Eke
Ukpabi
Okorie
Okpo
Onwuchekwa
Nnenna
Nnanna
Elendu
Ugorji
Orji
Ojiugo (female)
Erinma (female)
Uzoaro "
Aronma "
Iroaenya "
Ogbonne "
Ukeje
Ogwo
Ogbokiri
Chukwu
Onyekwere
Onyemerukwo
Njoku
Agu
Iroukwu
Ogba
Okona
Ogbonnaya
Egbuchulam
Okereke
Uguru
Udoma
Okriko
Agbai
Opara
Idika
Ukaiwo
Enyiebi
Awa
Oke
Umazi
Ogbaoso

Would like you to write the meaning of some of these names
Also if you can list some more names from that side

Some I know of
Tho not sure of their meaning

Uzunmma aka uz
Ogede ('ll like to know the meaning of this name)
Uka aka uk (this should mean church, quarell etc not sure tho)
Egbuta
Ogbuagu (leopard or lion killer, I think)
Uzomma
Nkemjika
Ihejirika

More names from that side would be welcomed
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by azuba(m): 10:38pm On Dec 28, 2015
: Nzubechukwu wic means Gods plan
Dats d most important igbo name u can think of
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 2:23pm On Feb 05, 2016
Ok, here are a few igbo names that I like so dearly and they are not too ambiguous
Kamsiyochukwu: just the way I begged God
Mmasichukwu: God's choice or God's will
Mmerichukwu: Victory of God
Zelunjo: Resist evil
Esomchi: I am following God
Chikamso: Its God I follow
Kambilichukwu: Let me live for God
Chibuike: God is power
Chikamma: Its God I know
Kamdilichukwu: Let me be for God
Zimuzo: Show me the way
Chikanyima: its God we know
Adaolisa: Daughter of God
Elochukwu: Look up to God
Chinechetam: God remembers me
Eziada: Good daughter

3 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by TheArchangel(f): 3:03pm On Feb 08, 2016
chom4shizzle:
Ok, here are a few igbo names that I like so dearly and they are not too ambiguous
Kamsiyochukwu: just the way I begged God
Mmasichukwu: God's choice or God's will
Mmerichukwu: Victory of God
Zelunjo: Resist evil
Esomchi: I am following God
Chikamso: Its God I follow
Kambilichukwu: Let me live for God
Chibuike: God is power
Chikamma: Its God I know
Kamdilichukwu: Let me be for God
Zimuzo: Show me the way
Chikanyima: its God we know
Adaolisa: Daughter of God
Elochukwu: Look up to God
Chinechetam: God remembers me
Eziada: Good daughter
These are the new generation Igbo names with Christian undertones/ beliefs. A whole lot of the names has God as either the suffix or prefix.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Chimaaba: 10:05am On May 15, 2016
If they are common or not I cannot say, but names I did not see here (most from Kwenu Web site):

CHIKELU [Chi kelu.... = God created...]
DWV: CHIKE, CHUKWUKELU

UBANAESE [Uba na-ese (okwu) = Wealth causes (problems)]
Intepretation: This name exemplifies the continued erosion of meanings in Igbo. Written as "Ubanese," it could easily be mistaken for an Italian name and the meaning lost with time. This name warns of the trappings of mindless materialism. Those who aspire to get rich by any means necessary usually end up in a lot of problems.
DWV: UBANAESEOKWU, UBANESE

JIBUUGWU[Ji bu ugwu = Yam is respect]
Interpretation: The prestige that comes with the possession of yams brings a lot of respect to the skills of the owner. Yes, the possesssion of yams is a source of respect. [See also Dibuugwu, Nwabuugwu]
DWV: JIBUGWU

URENNA [Ure nna (ya) = The charm/pride of (her) father]
DWV: URE, URENNAYA

IKEJIANI [Ike ji Ani = The power that holds the Earth Deity.]
Interpretation: “Ikejiani,” as a word qualifies for the English equivalent of “Gravity.” However, it is not known how it came to become a name nor what the name-giver had in mind. It is most likely that this stuck as a family name from a “society” name, a praise name more than a name given at childhood. It means the person must have been so powerful they nicknamed him the ultimate power known to man, even if it bothers on blasphemy.

ONWANEETILIORA [Onwa na-etili ora = The moon the shines for all]
Interpretation:
DWV: ONWANETIRIOHA
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by pamijlove(f): 10:29am On Jun 25, 2016
Nkemjika.. what i have is the best

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by sycrocombus: 9:53am On Aug 08, 2016
[quote author=OdenigboAroli post=26340162]
Odenigbo means "one who writes in Igbo"
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by sycrocombus: 9:54am On Aug 08, 2016
[quote author=OdenigboAroli post=26340162]
Odenigbo means "He who writes in Igbo"
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by nnenneigbo(f): 9:59am On Aug 08, 2016
TheArchangel:
These are the new generation Igbo names with Christian undertones/ beliefs. A whole lot of the names has God as either the suffix or prefix.

I won't name my kids anything with chi, it's too common. I'll go with authentic names like adaobi, ike, adaora etc lol.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by TheArchangel(f): 11:20am On Aug 08, 2016
nnenneigbo:

I won't name my kids anything with chi, it's too common. I'll go with authentic names like adaobi, ike, adaora etc lol.
That's nice. It is unique also.

Obianamma
Obianuju
Udodi
Ifeoma
Obioma etc. Very generic and meaningful too

2 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by nnenneigbo(f): 10:09am On Aug 09, 2016
TheArchangel:
That's nice. It is unique also.

Obianamma
Obianuju
Udodi
Ifeoma
Obioma etc. Very generic and meaningful too

Yeah, good options you've mentioned their. My niece is named Anuri that's another beautiful name. There's ugonma, ukoaku, and to round it up mgbeke lmao!
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by TheArchangel(f): 11:57am On Aug 09, 2016
nnenneigbo:

Yeah, good options you've mentioned their. My niece is named Anuri that's another beautiful name. There's ugonma, ukoaku, and to round it up mgbeke lmao!
Hehe grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Please, Teach Me Efik/ibibio (calabar/akwa-ibom) Language. / American Women That Marry Nigerian Men / Yoruba Songs From Back: When? Remember Any? Jot Them Down Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.