Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,450 members, 7,801,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:45 AM

Any HSE Professionals In The House? - Career (103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any HSE Professionals In The House? (405118 Views)

Re: Hse Professionals / Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? / Hse Professionals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (113) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Adexmerry: 2:31am On Jun 12, 2020
simplexvi:
I have made up my mind to go for NEBOSH immediately after NYSC or during NYSC, but the issue is that its costly, around 300k.. NEBOSH certificate is internationally recognized. getting that certification is actually a must do for me. am an undergraduate civil engineering student, currently at 500l
The Nysc scheme is offering us the opportunity to do the course at a discounted price FROM CIEHS because I can't afford NEBOSH . but I don't want to end up with a certificate I can't use. Please does anyone know about their certificate
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by micxwell(m): 10:21am On Jun 12, 2020
simplexvi:
I have made up my mind to go for NEBOSH immediately after NYSC or during NYSC, but the issue is that its costly, around 300k.. NEBOSH certificate is internationally recognized. getting that certification is actually a must do for me. am an undergraduate civil engineering student, currently at 500l
smiley It's a good one. Nothing and I repeat nothing is easy or cheap when it comes to career development in any competitive and relevant field nowadays bro. You'll have to pay the price and trust me, you'll smile at the end. But remember that certifications alone doesn't cut it. Infact it's just about 30%. Just call it a boost especially when you already have the experience. Books are a bit different from how it's actually done on site. I had to slow down to take in as much as I can before jumping at certifications. I held the cash in my bank account for close to 2years when I discovered this. And by the way I'm a Civil Engineer with interest in structural and environmental engineering. I wish you all the best.

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by simplexvi: 3:39pm On Jun 13, 2020
micxwell:
smiley It's a good one. Nothing and I repeat nothing is easy or cheap when it comes to career development in any competitive and relevant field nowadays bro. You'll have to pay the price and trust me, you'll smile at the end. But remember that certifications alone doesn't cut it. Infact it's just about 30%. Just call it a boost especially when you already have the experience. Books are a bit different from how it's actually done on site. I had to slow down to take in as much as I can before jumping at certifications. I held the cash in my bank account for close to 2years when I discovered this. And by the way I'm a Civil Engineer with interest in structural and environmental engineering. I wish you all the best.
thanks boss..God bless

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by preciousmathias: 11:00am On Jun 19, 2020
A big thanks to all the lectures in the house may God richly bless you,
Please I live in Benin city so I will like to ask of the closest ISPON center close to me thanks.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by TenthMan(m): 9:17am On Jun 20, 2020
Adexmerry:
Please is the hse certificate from chattered institute of environmental health and safety USA a valid one.. I'm a corp member ..please I need urgent answers

You will have to define validity for us to understand where you are coming from. You will also have to tell us how far you have come with respect to experience and certification in HSE Sciences, Technology, Engineering and Management to allow us know where you are. You will also need to tell us what you need the certification for, to enable us know where you are heading to. Note that CIEHS is just a State Board in the USA. Its certificate might not even be recognized by other States in the USA. It is mainly for the State of Nevada. So CIEHS is the NEBOSH for Nevada. America believes more in State and Regional bodies than in Federal/National. If you want to practice in a State or Region, they believe their own situation is special/peculiar and you must have to understand their own system before you practice. This is common with many other fields in the USA.

I want to believe you are talking about if CIEHS is recognized in Nigeria, I guess? The truth is, it is not very recognized in Nigeria when compared to ISPON and NEBOSH. That is not to say you cannot put it on your CV. You can include it in your CV and you will benefit from the skills and knowledge you will gather from the training. A lot of employers do not even have the skill and faint idea of how to rate/score a certificate presented by an intending employee/Applicant. So you can include it. However, a big company, with a serious and skilled HSE Unit will naturally ask for your (1) ISPON (2) NEBOSH and then ANY OTHER(S).

My big bosses here and myself have constantly advised in this topic that a particular line/step should be followed. I will state it again. Every young graduate should please note my advice. It is not compulsory you follow it. You can do what works for you.

1. NISP/ISPON: We have constantly advised that ISPON is the nationally recognized HSE Professional Body in Nigeria. It is just like NSE/COREN, NES, ICAN, etc.. Even though we personally do not like the childishness they are displaying with respect to their power tussle within the body. And I have personally continued to call for another body (A HSE Certification Board) which will come up with a better standard exam and certification process. Their members have invaded this thread to bring their bickering here as well. This is why I have ignored their posts filled with sweeping generalizations and childish claims. However it does not change the fact that they are the legally recognized professional body for the HSE Profession in Nigeria. All graduates are STRONGLY advised to attend General HSE and HSE Levels 2 and 3. Graduates are currently advised to visit the ispon.gov.ng site and find out the contact details there. Call them. Discuss with them for better information. I am not a member of the ISPON Exco, etc. The most valid and credible information can be acquired directly from their contact persons on their website.

2. NEBOSH IGC: After ISPON, we have always advised that you go for NEBOSH. There is a statement I make that annoys the ISPON Guys and I will make it again. In my opinion, THE NEBOSH IGC CURRICULUM IS MORE ROBUST THAN ISPON (G,1,2,3). Hence in my opinion I see ISPON as Mock Exam for NEBOSH. It is one of the reasons why I advise graduates to first get ISPON done before attempting NEBOSH. NEBOSH is also internationally recognized. ISPON IS NOT. The recognition is especially so in commonwealth countries. It is recognized in Africa, in the Middle East, Australia and some European Countries. It is also well respected in Nigeria. Very respected. A company Like Total E&P/TEPNG/TUPNI etc. might not even give you a second look if you do not have NEBOSH IGC. However, this exam is expensive to Nigerians, so you will have to do little stuff (work, business, use a skill to get money, etc.) to raise the funds, in a case where you are not very buoyant and have no parents, guardians, etc sponsoring you.

3. Other Specialized Training: After your ISPON and NEBOSH IGC, you can then decide to specialize in an area based on your SKILLS/BIASES or on the INDUSTRY you want to focus on. I usually advise this because the world of HSE STEM is broad. Very broad. After the general knowledge it is good to have a specific skill. The general principles usually apply to all aspects. But the way and manner they are applied varies from situation to situation. Areas to specialize on include Asset Integrity, Process Hazard Analyses, Consequence Modelling, etc. You can also specialize in various industries e.g. Aviation, Nuclear, Oil and Gas/Petroleum/Hydrocarbons (my area), Road/Rail Transportation, Marine, Industrial, etc. You can choose various OSHA training, etc.

4. Training on Certification of Skills in Standards: After your NEBOSH and specialization, you can You should then focus on training on specific standards that GENERALLY Apply to your area of specialization or to the industry you work in. You can then do training that also SPECIFICALLY apply to your area of specialization or the industry you have found yourself. e.g. You can have certified training to show skills and competence in ISO 31000, ISO 14001, ISO 45001, ISO 9000, API RP 75, IEC 61508, IEC 6511, etc.

5. Further General and Specialized Training: After ISPON, NEBOSH, Specialized, Standards Certifications, you may then decide to do other further training. TRAINING/LEARNING AND SKILL ACQUISITION NEVER ENDS. NEVER. There are refreshers you have to take. You have to always read on your own. You can also decide to do advanced studies like NEBOHS IDip or any other Diploma (Post Graduate, etc), BSc., MSc., etc. in the STEM of Public and Occupational Health, Safety, Security, Environment, Community Affairs and Quality.

Again, it is worthy to point out that you MUST NOT follow these steps as they have been presented here. It is only advisable to do so. Some people start with 1 (ISPON), then jump to 5 (MSc./Diploma) then go back to 2 (NEBOSH), then hit 3 (Area of Specialization) and 4 (Certification on Standards). So it depends on how it favors and soothes you.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by preciousmathias: 8:17pm On Jun 21, 2020
Good day everyone in the house, please I want to ask if the online HSE training is equivalent to the normal classroom cos I intend going for the online training thanks.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by preciousmathias: 10:44pm On Jun 21, 2020
Hello good evening professionals in the house, please has anyone done the online HSE training and how's it like, is the certificate still same as the normal classroom work?
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by trendydeddy1: 2:55pm On Jun 22, 2020
Please kindly help me too with the NEBOSH materials. This is my email address:

eadelugba@gmail.com

Thank you.
TenthMan:

Kindly verify/acknowledge receipt.

Good luck.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by trendydeddy1: 3:03pm On Jun 22, 2020
Please I am also interested in the Nebosh materials too. Kindly help forward to my email:
eadelugba@gmail.com

Thank you.

julius2825:

Please I did appreciate to get the nebosh materials too
my email: juliusdaodu@gmail.com
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Juwon21: 7:57pm On Jun 22, 2020
Tenthman can you kindly share with us where one can do the those specialized training especially the oil and gas

You will have to define validity for us to understand where you are coming from. You will also have to tell us how far you have come with respect to experience and certification in HSE Sciences, Technology, Engineering and Management to allow us know where you are. You will also need to tell us what you need the certification for, to enable us know where you are heading to. Note that CIEHS is just a State Board in the USA. Its certificate might not even be recognized by other States in the USA. It is mainly for the State of Nevada. So CIEHS is the NEBOSH for Nevada. America believes more in State and Regional bodies than in Federal/National. If you want to practice in a State or Region, they believe their own situation is special/peculiar and you must have to understand their own system before you practice. This is common with many other fields in the USA.

I want to believe you are talking about if CIEHS is recognized in Nigeria, I guess? The truth is, it is not very recognized in Nigeria when compared to ISPON and NEBOSH. That is not to say you cannot put it on your CV. You can include it in your CV and you will benefit from the skills and knowledge you will gather from the training. A lot of employers do not even have the skill and faint idea of how to rate/score a certificate presented by an intending employee/Applicant. So you can include it. However, a big company, with a serious and skilled HSE Unit will naturally ask for your (1) ISPON (2) NEBOSH and then ANY OTHER(S).

My big bosses here and myself have constantly advised in this topic that a particular line/step should be followed. I will state it again. Every young graduate should please note my advice. It is not compulsory you follow it. You can do what works for you.

1. NISP/ISPON: We have constantly advised that ISPON is the nationally recognized HSE Professional Body in Nigeria. It is just like NSE/COREN, NES, ICAN, etc.. Even though we personally do not like the childishness they are displaying with respect to their power tussle within the body. And I have personally continued to call for another body (A HSE Certification Board) which will come up with a better standard exam and certification process. Their members have invaded this thread to bring their bickering here as well. This is why I have ignored their posts filled with sweeping generalizations and childish claims. However it does not change the fact that they are the legally recognized professional body for the HSE Profession in Nigeria. All graduates are STRONGLY advised to attend General HSE and HSE Levels 2 and 3. Graduates are currently advised to visit the ispon.gov.ng site and find out the contact details there. Call them. Discuss with them for better information. I am not a member of the ISPON Exco, etc. The most valid and credible information can be acquired directly from their contact persons on their website.

2. NEBOSH IGC: After ISPON, we have always advised that you go for NEBOSH. There is a statement I make that annoys the ISPON Guys and I will make it again. In my opinion, THE NEBOSH IGC CURRICULUM IS MORE ROBUST THAN ISPON (G,1,2,3). Hence in my opinion I see ISPON as Mock Exam for NEBOSH. It is one of the reasons why I advise graduates to first get ISPON done before attempting NEBOSH. NEBOSH is also internationally recognized. ISPON IS NOT. The recognition is especially so in commonwealth countries. It is recognized in Africa, in the Middle East, Australia and some European Countries. It is also well respected in Nigeria. Very respected. A company Like Total E&P/TEPNG/TUPNI etc. might not even give you a second look if you do not have NEBOSH IGC. However, this exam is expensive to Nigerians, so you will have to do little stuff (work, business, use a skill to get money, etc.) to raise the funds, in a case where you are not very buoyant and have no parents, guardians, etc sponsoring you.

3. Other Specialized Training: After your ISPON and NEBOSH IGC, you can then decide to specialize in an area based on your SKILLS/BIASES or on the INDUSTRY you want to focus on. I usually advise this because the world of HSE STEM is broad. Very broad. After the general knowledge it is good to have a specific skill. The general principles usually apply to all aspects. But the way and manner they are applied varies from situation to situation. Areas to specialize on include Asset Integrity, Process Hazard Analyses, Consequence Modelling, etc. You can also specialize in various industries e.g. Aviation, Nuclear, Oil and Gas/Petroleum/Hydrocarbons (my area), Road/Rail Transportation, Marine, Industrial, etc. You can choose various OSHA training, etc.

4. Training on Certification of Skills in Standards: After your NEBOSH and specialization, you can You should then focus on training on specific standards that GENERALLY Apply to your area of specialization or to the industry you work in. You can then do training that also SPECIFICALLY apply to your area of specialization or the industry you have found yourself. e.g. You can have certified training to show skills and competence in ISO 31000, ISO 14001, ISO 45001, ISO 9000, API RP 75, IEC 61508, IEC 6511, etc.

5. Further General and Specialized Training: After ISPON, NEBOSH, Specialized, Standards Certifications, you may then decide to do other further training. TRAINING/LEARNING AND SKILL ACQUISITION NEVER ENDS. NEVER. There are refreshers you have to take. You have to always read on your own. You can also decide to do advanced studies like NEBOHS IDip or any other Diploma (Post Graduate, etc), BSc., MSc., etc. in the STEM of Public and Occupational Health, Safety, Security, Environment, Community Affairs and Quality.

Again, it is worthy to point out that you MUST NOT follow these steps as they have been presented here. It is only advisable to do so. Some people start with 1 (ISPON), then jump to 5 (MSc./Diploma) then go back to 2 (NEBOSH), then hit 3 (Area of Specialization) and 4 (Certification on Standards). So it depends on how it favors and soothes you. [/quote]
TenthMan:

Again, it is worthy to point out that you MUST NOT follow these steps as they have been presented here. It is only advisable to do so. Some people start with 1 (ISPON), then jump to 5 (MSc./Diploma) then go back to 2 (NEBOSH), then hit 3 (Area of Specialization) and 4 (Certification on Standards). So it depends on how it favors and soothes you.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Juwon21: 8:02pm On Jun 22, 2020
TenthMan:

Kindly explain where one can get those specialized training and standards certification
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Dee91: 4:12pm On Jun 23, 2020
Hello, I need your help or should I say your guidance. Well, I'm a fresh graduate of microbiology and I just completed my NYSC. I really have great interest pursuing a career as an HSE official. During my service year, I did training under Novelle which awarded me certification in HSE level 1- 3. The thing is as time goes on, I got to discover ISPON is the most recognized in Nigeria and now I don't know if I should go back and start afresh by obtaining a certification from ISPON or just stick to the ones I got from Novelle
My second delima is what next after obtaining the appropriate certification because it's almost impossible starting a career since most organizations demand experience which I don't have.
Lastly, My major area of interest is being an HSE official in the oil and gas sector but I also like food industries. You know it is always advisable to begin where you would like to go on in order to be an expert in one's field but I'm in ogun state which has more of food industries. I don't know if I should start out hunting in the food industry direction to gain experience or strictly focus on oil and gas.
Pls fams, I really need your guidance on this especially on the job acquisition part after acquiring certification. Thanks in anticipation
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Dee91: 9:03pm On Jun 28, 2020
Please someone should kindly respond to my previous message. Thanks
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by TenthMan(m): 11:22pm On Jun 28, 2020
Dee91:
Hello, I need your help or should I say your guidance. Well, I'm a fresh graduate of microbiology and I just completed my NYSC. I really have great interest pursuing a career as an HSE official. During my service year, I did training under Novelle which awarded me certification in HSE level 1- 3. The thing is as time goes on, I got to discover ISPON is the most recognized in Nigeria and now I don't know if I should go back and start afresh by obtaining a certification from ISPON or just stick to the ones I got from Novelle
My second delima is what next after obtaining the appropriate certification because it's almost impossible starting a career since most organizations demand experience which I don't have.
Lastly, My major area of interest is being an HSE official in the oil and gas sector but I also like food industries. You know it is always advisable to begin where you would like to go on in order to be an expert in one's field but I'm in ogun state which has more of food industries. I don't know if I should start out hunting in the food industry direction to gain experience or strictly focus on oil and gas.
Pls fams, I really need your guidance on this especially on the job acquisition part after acquiring certification. Thanks in anticipation

HSE LEVEL 1, 2 & 3 OUTSIDE ISPON: Remember that you have to have undergone ISPON's HSE Levels G, 1, 2 and 3 with ISPON before you can apply for professional membership with ISPON. ISPON is a professional body that also offers training. If you do not want to be a member of ISPON, then you can settle for the Novelle HSE Level 1, 2 and 3. But if you want to be a Certified member of ISPON, you have to pass through their own basic level training. Now, remember that if Nigeria was to be a serious country you wont even be allowed to practice without being a member of ISPON. Note that having level 1,2, 3 certification from ISPON does not make you a member. It is only a compulsory prerequisite that you do this training with them, before you can apply for professional membership. Training Certification and Membership Certification are two different things. In my experience, most employers do not bother asking HSE Professionals if they are Certified Members of ISPON. They only ask for HSE Levels 1, 2 and 3 Certificates. Some companies however insist that such certificates must come from ISPON. Majority do not bother about professional membership like I earlier hinted. Unfortunately I cannot speak for this companies. You may have to try a few times or asked people who have gone for interviews. Get their experiences and make a decision on this. Once again, should you want to become a professional member of ISPON, then you have to go back for their own training. However, you can call them to verify this.

WHAT NEXT AFTER APPROPRIATE CERTIFICATION: You have to look for a way to build experience. You have to find a place to practice. You need to. Either in consulting capacity or simple office assistant capacity. Experience comes from practice. If you are very good with the course and you really know how to apply the knowledge and skill, you can write to some companies to allow you practice with them. Or look for HSE Consulting firms in Ogun State and discuss with them about how you can come in and sharpen you skillset and knowledge. You may also consider doing NEBOSH while you wait, should you have the means.

WHERE TO START-FOOD OR OIL & GAS: I will advice you to start with the first one that comes your way. Get the most experience you can, apply to all of them, then start with the one that comes first. HSE Personnel are usually found in the Depots, Terminal and bigger facilities like lube blending plants and so on. They are hardly found in Petrol Stations. Though DPR Might change this soon and mandate all petrol stations to have HSE Personnel. So around you, Oil and Gas might be a little scarce. For Oil and Gas you will mainly look at Lagos, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers. Cast your bread upon many waters. Cast a dragnet. If you get more than one offer at a time then come here and we will be able to guide you on the best option. Long story short, Apply for ALL that you can apply for. Create CVs for both industries. Submit same and see which one comes first. Infact if you get invited, then come here and we will help you prepare for the interview.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by TenthMan(m): 11:37pm On Jun 28, 2020
Juwon21:

Kindly explain where one can get those specialized training and standards certification

There training schools that offer such courses in Nigeria. There are even some polytechnics and institutes that also offer specialized training. PTI Warri for instance offers good training. For those in Process Safety Instrumentation and Control, there are training schools in Lagos that offer these trainings as well. There are very many training schools accredited by DPR, ISPON, Nationwide to offer oil and gas specialized training as well.

Unfortunately, I will not recommend any. I will ask you to search online. Do your due diligence. Ensure they are certified and then discuss with them before paying for these courses.

1. Ensure they have been accredited by the Standards board, or examination board to offer such training;

2. Ensure they are accredited and recognized by DPR (Licensing of ALL Oil and Gas Trainers), OGTAN (Oil and Gas Trainers Association of Nigeria-not compulsory though), ISPON (All/General HSE Trainers for all industries in Nigeria);

3. Price of their training compared to other accredited trainers.

Verify these three things above. I AM really sorry gentlemen, that I will not be able to mention the name of any trainer. I wont be able to recommend any. Apologies. You will have to search e.g. online, new paper adds, etc for these trainers then verify on your own.

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by TenthMan(m): 11:50pm On Jun 28, 2020
POSITION: HEALTH, SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENT (HSE) OFFICER

COMPANY: LAMBERT HOLDINGS

RESPONSIBILITIES:
-Developing and implementing organizational safety programs.
-Conduct risk assessments to detect potential hazards and plan precautionary measures.
-Participating in hazard identification and risk assessment of projects on the pipeline and appurtenances.
-Carrying out audits in accordance with the Annual Audit Programme.
-Providing HSE support during projects
-Participating in incident investigations
-Evaluate the workplace environment and develop safety-management policies.
-Continually maintain an appropriate level of HSE awareness.
-Coordinate training programs for employees.
-Continuous maintenance of the Company Safety, Health and Environment SHE Management System activities and related matters
-Reporting directly to the UACL Operations Manager to support the day to day HSE management and long range stewardship of the HSE in UACL Operations.
-Analysis and reporting of HSE performance data
-Ensuring regular weekly monthly, quarterly and annual reports are accurately compiled & sent to Head of UACL Pipeline Operations
-Carrying out Safety Inductions for new personnel on board

REQUIREMENTS:
-Degree level HND or BSc or BEng. in Safety or Natural/ Physical Sciences or Engineering.
-General HSE certificate Knowledge required includes a thorough understanding of Pipeline HSE regulations / standards and the regulatory Process with excellent analytic skills as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills.
-HSE Competence Development Course Certificate
-Has the ability to effectively interact with ail levels of staff.
-Proficient in Microsoft applications Word, Excel Power Point.
-Candidate should have at least 5 Years HSE experience within the oil and gas industry, 3 of which preferably should be in pipeline safety supervision. -Good presentation Skills

[url]https://ng.fidanto.com/jobs/job-opening/healthcare-support-workers-all-other/health-safety-environment-hse-officer-81009765?utm_campaign=google_jobs_apply&utm_source=google_jobs_apply&utm_medium=organic
[/url]

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by TenthMan(m): 1:14am On Jun 29, 2020
COLLEAGUES, HERE ARE SOME LINKS TO SOME MATERIALS ONLINE FOR BASIC TO INTERMEDIATE HSE.

1. (From ILO and an Author who wrote based on ILO Standards)
https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/@dgreports/@dcomm/@publ/documents/publication/wcms_093550.pdf

[url]http://univer.nuczu.edu.ua/tmp_metod/1026/FUNDAMENTAL%20PRINCIPLES%20OF%20OCCUPATIONAL%20HEALTH%20AND%20SAFETY.pdf[/url]

2. (From UK HSE Executive. They are quite good at being HSE Regulators)
https://www.hse.gov.uk/forms/transport/wtchk1.pdf

3. (Focuses on Agricultural Industry)
[url]http://www.iufdocuments.org/www/documents/IUF,%20ILO%20HSE%20Manuals%20for%20Ag%20Workers.pdf
[/url]

4. (A very good read for NEBOSH as well. You can use this to also prepare for NEBOSH)
https://haneefhse.weebly.com/uploads/2/0/1/0/20108867/introduction_to_health__safety_at_work.pdf

5. (More of an advanced read for oil and gas upstream segment of the oil and gas industry in very cold environments)
https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---ed_dialogue/---sector/documents/publication/wcms_438074.pdf

6. (OSHA Academy General Oil and Gas Safety Material)
https://www.oshatrain.org/courses/studyguides/900studyguide.pdf

7. (NEBOSH Oil and Gas Safety Textbook)
https://www.pdfslide.net_pdf-ebooks-introduction-to-oil-and-gas-operational-safety-introduction-to-oil.pdf

8. ( A simple research paper on risk engineering as it applies to HSE Engineering and Management. This is part of the fundamental principle of Managing HSE)
http://iosrjournals.org/iosr-jestft/papers/vol9-issue8/Version-1/N09819194.pdf

Note a fundamental area of improvement in the paper. I realized that in risk assessment part of the paper (Assessing Associated Risks) they only mentioned risk analyses, without directly mentioning ''Risk Evaluation''. Note that the risk assessment comprises of Risk Analyses and Risk Evaluation. HSE Risk evaluation is a critical component of the HSE Risk Management Process. Assessment tells you how the hazard or risk poses a threat (the pathways), while evaluation allows you to know if such risk is acceptable.Risk evaluation allows you to determine the significance of risks to the facility then to decide whether to accept a specific risk or take action to prevent or minimize it. Therefore, to EVALUATE HSE risks, it is worthwhile ranking them once identified. This can be done by considering the consequence and probability of each risk.

Simply put:
In any inspection/official review workshop/setting

-identify the hazards
-assess these hazards to establish the risk (analyses and evaluation)
-propose mitigation/control measures
- review the level of risk now if it is acceptable, if it is not go back a propose more measures
-implement these measures
-monitor and audit the performance of these measures
-continuously improve

9. (A very good textbook on the fundamental principles of Health and Safety. It lacks the Environment Part. But a very good read)
[url]https://www.pdfdrive.com/download.pdf?id=184787527&h=cedf50485d70c42006846c8f7e20a315&u=cache&ext=pdf
[/url]

10. (This is for Real Safety Engineers Like myself. Though to me and at my level this is a very very basic/introductory text into Safety Engineering or HSE Engineering. However Safety Engineering goes beyond ISPON/NEBOSH IGC and even NEBOSH IDip. Though my own knowledge is way way above this level.But I think it is a good start for those who want to do and HSE beyond the simple ISPON/NEBOSH IGC Level which is basic appreciation certificate level. It is a good basic lecture note on Safety Engineering from the University of Strathclyde.)

https://www.pdfdrive.com/download.pdf?id=184787527&h=cedf50485d70c42006846c8f7e20a315&u=cache&ext=pdf

I hope this helps with a lot of persons looking for a good read.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Dee91: 10:44am On Jun 29, 2020
TenthMan:

HSE LEVEL 1, 2 & 3 OUTSIDE ISPON: Remember that you have to have undergone ISPON's HSE Levels G, 1, 2 and 3 with ISPON before you can apply for professional membership with ISPON. ISPON is a professional body that also offers training. If you do not want to be a member of ISPON, then you can settle for the Novelle HSE Level 1, 2 and 3. But if you want to be a Certified member of ISPON, you have to pass through their own basic level training. Now, remember that if Nigeria was to be a serious country you wont even be allowed to practice without being a member of ISPON. Note that having level 1,2, 3 certification from ISPON does not make you a member. It is only a compulsory prerequisite that you do this training with them, before you can apply for professional membership. Training Certification and Membership Certification are two different things. In my experience, most employers do not bother asking HSE Professionals if they are Certified Members of ISPON. They only ask for HSE Levels 1, 2 and 3 Certificates. Some companies however insist that such certificates must come from ISPON. Majority do not bother about professional membership like I earlier hinted. Unfortunately I cannot speak for this companies. You may have to try a few times or asked people who have gone for interviews. Get their experiences and make a decision on this. Once again, should you want to become a professional member of ISPON, then you have to go back for their own training. However, you can call them to verify this.

WHAT NEXT AFTER APPROPRIATE CERTIFICATION: You have to look for a way to build experience. You have to find a place to practice. You need to. Either in consulting capacity or simple office assistant capacity. Experience comes from practice. If you are very good with the course and you really know how to apply the knowledge and skill, you can write to some companies to allow you practice with them. Or look for HSE Consulting firms in Ogun State and discuss with them about how you can come in and sharpen you skillset and knowledge. You may also consider doing NEBOSH while you wait, should you have the means.

WHERE TO START-FOOD OR OIL & GAS: I will advice you to start with the first one that comes your way. Get the most experience you can, apply to all of them, then start with the one that comes first. HSE Personnel are usually found in the Depots, Terminal and bigger facilities like lube blending plants and so on. They are hardly found in Petrol Stations. Though DPR Might change this soon and mandate all petrol stations to have HSE Personnel. So around you, Oil and Gas might be a little scarce. For Oil and Gas you will mainly look at Lagos, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers. Cast your bread upon many waters. Cast a dragnet. If you get more than one offer at a time then come here and we will be able to guide you on the best option. Long story short, Apply for ALL that you can apply for. Create CVs for both industries. Submit same and see which one comes first. Infact if you get invited, then come here and we will help you prepare for the interview.

Thanks man, you response is very much helpful. I will still go through the ISPON route. I just called them and they said as a graduate I will have to start with GHSE then proceed to level 3. Well, I guess I will have to go through their July training.
I will do just as you suggested about applying as much as I can and see what comes first. I will most definitely come back as soon as I land something good for appropriate guidance. I hope that would be sooner than later though. Thanks once again.

2 Likes

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by BenDanor(m): 3:48pm On Jun 29, 2020
I really appreciate the information here.

I study computer science and I'll like to know if going through the HSE program will do me any good to get a job in a sector like oil and gas or construction.

And is working as a HSE official limited to certain people who studied certain courses e.g Engineering?
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by froshroy(m): 1:56am On Jun 30, 2020
Dee91:

Thanks man, you response is very much helpful. I will still go through the ISPON route. I just called them and they said as a graduate I will have to start with GHSE then proceed to level 3. Well, I guess I will have to go through their July training.
I will do just as you suggested about applying as much as I can and see what comes first. I will most definitely come back as soon as I land something good for appropriate guidance. I hope that would be sooner than later though. Thanks once again.
Where is the training holding bro
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Dee91: 3:35am On Jun 30, 2020
froshroy:
Where is the training holding bro

SECRETARIAT ADDRESS:
1ST FLOOR KALAKS BUILDING,
NO 10 MOSHOOD ABIOLA WAY,
ABEOKUTA OGUN STATE
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Loris576(m): 12:03pm On Jul 01, 2020
TenthMan:

Thank you sir for the information
I am an undergraduate and i went to ispon office in my state and i was told to start the training from hse level2
I hope there is no problem with that sir
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by BenDanor(m): 9:02pm On Jul 01, 2020
BenDanor:
I really appreciate the information here.

I study computer science and I'll like to know if going through the HSE program will do me any good to get a job in a sector like oil and gas or construction.

And is working as a HSE official limited to certain people who studied certain courses e.g Engineering?
please someone should answer me na
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Juwon21: 9:14pm On Jul 01, 2020
[quote author=TenthMan post=91182497]
COLLEAGUES, HERE ARE SOME LINKS TO SOME MATERIALS ONLINE FOR BASIC TO INTERMEDIATE HSE.

1. (From ILO and an Author who wrote based on ILO Standards)
https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/@dgreports/@dcomm/@publ/documents/publication/wcms_093550.pdf

[url]http://univer.nuczu.edu.ua/tmp_metod/1026/FUNDAMENTAL%20PRINCIPLES%20OF%20OCCUPATIONAL%20HEALTH%20AND%20SAFETY.pdf[/url]

2. (From UK HSE Executive. They are quite good at being HSE Regulators)
https://www.hse.gov.uk/forms/transport/wtchk1.pdf

3. (Focuses on Agricultural Industry)
[url]http://www.iufdocuments.org/www/documents/IUF,%20ILO%20HSE%20Manuals%20for%20Ag%20Workers.pdf
[/url]

4. (A very good read for NEBOSH as well. You can use this to also prepare for NEBOSH)
https://haneefhse.weebly.com/uploads/2/0/1/0/20108867/introduction_to_health__safety_at_work.pdf

5. (More of an advanced read for oil and gas upstream segment of the oil and gas industry in very cold environments)
https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---ed_dialogue/---sector/documents/publication/wcms_438074.pdf

6. (OSHA Academy General Oil and Gas Safety Material)
https://www.oshatrain.org/courses/studyguides/900studyguide.pdf

7. (NEBOSH Oil and Gas Safety Textbook)
https://www.pdfslide.net_pdf-ebooks-introduction-to-oil-and-gas-operational-safety-introduction-to-oil.pdf

8. ( A simple research paper on risk engineering as it applies to HSE Engineering and Management. This is part of the fundamental principle of Managing HSE)
http://iosrjournals.org/iosr-jestft/papers/vol9-issue8/Version-1/N09819194.pdf

Note a fundamental area of improvement in the paper. I realized that in risk assessment part of the paper (Assessing Associated Risks) they only mentioned risk analyses, without directly mentioning ''Risk Evaluation''. Note that the risk assessment comprises of Risk Analyses and Risk Evaluation. HSE Risk evaluation is a critical component of the HSE Risk Management Process. Assessment tells you how the hazard or risk poses a threat (the pathways), while evaluation allows you to know if such risk is acceptable.Risk evaluation allows you to determine the significance of risks to the facility then to decide whether to accept a specific risk or take action to prevent or minimize it. Therefore, to EVALUATE HSE risks, it is worthwhile ranking them once identified. This can be done by considering the consequence and probability of each risk.

Simply put:
In any inspection/official review workshop/setting

-identify the hazards
-assess these hazards to establish the risk (analyses and evaluation)
-propose mitigation/control measures
- review the level of risk now if it is acceptable, if it is not go back a propose more measures
-implement these measures
-monitor and audit the performance of these measures
-continuously improve

9. (A very good textbook on the fundamental principles of Health and Safety. It lacks the Environment Part. But a very good read)
[url]https://www.pdfdrive.com/download.pdf?id=184787527&h=cedf50485d70c42006846c8f7e20a315&u=cache&ext=pdf
[/url]

10. (This is for Safety Engineers Like myself. It is a basic/introductory text into Safety or HSE Engineering. It goes beyond ISPON/NEBOSH IGC. Though my own knowledge is above this level.But it is a good start for those who want to do HSE beyond at simple appreciation certificate level. It is a good lecture note from the University of Strathclyde.)

https://www.pdfdrive.com/download.pdf?id=184787527&h=cedf50485d70c42006846c8f7e20a315&u=cache&ext=pdf

I hope this helps with a lot of persons looking for a good read.

Thank you for all that you do on this platform. I appreciate your candid response and advice

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Juwon21: 9:16pm On Jul 01, 2020
Thank you for these.

POSITION: HEALTH, SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENT (HSE) OFFICER

COMPANY: LAMBERT HOLDINGS

RESPONSIBILITIES:
-Developing and implementing organizational safety programs.
-Conduct risk assessments to detect potential hazards and plan precautionary measures.
-Participating in hazard identification and risk assessment of projects on the pipeline and appurtenances.
-Carrying out audits in accordance with the Annual Audit Programme.
-Providing HSE support during projects
-Participating in incident investigations
-Evaluate the workplace environment and develop safety-management policies.
-Continually maintain an appropriate level of HSE awareness.
-Coordinate training programs for employees.
-Continuous maintenance of the Company Safety, Health and Environment SHE Management System activities and related matters
-Reporting directly to the UACL Operations Manager to support the day to day HSE management and long range stewardship of the HSE in UACL Operations.
-Analysis and reporting of HSE performance data
-Ensuring regular weekly monthly, quarterly and annual reports are accurately compiled & sent to Head of UACL Pipeline Operations
-Carrying out Safety Inductions for new personnel on board

REQUIREMENTS:
-Degree level HND or BSc or BEng. in Safety or Natural/ Physical Sciences or Engineering.
-General HSE certificate Knowledge required includes a thorough understanding of Pipeline HSE regulations / standards and the regulatory Process with excellent analytic skills as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills.
-HSE Competence Development Course Certificate
-Has the ability to effectively interact with ail levels of staff.
-Proficient in Microsoft applications Word, Excel Power Point.
-Candidate should have at least 5 Years HSE experience within the oil and gas industry, 3 of which preferably should be in pipeline safety supervision. -Good presentation Skills

[url]https://ng.fidanto.com/jobs/job-opening/healthcare-support-workers-all-other/health-safety-environment-hse-officer-81009765?utm_campaign=google_jobs_apply&utm_source=google_jobs_apply&utm_medium=organic
[/url]

[/quote]
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by TenthMan(m): 11:57pm On Jul 04, 2020
POSITION
HSE Manager

ORGANIZATION
Proten International (HR) Company is Recruiting on behalf of an organization

AREA OF SPECIALIZATION/SECTOR
Food and Agriculture Business. The company is a leading Food and Agribusiness in Nigeria who supplies food, ingredients, feed and fibre to 19,800 customers worldwide.

JOB DESCRIPTION
To implement/ensure that the operation complies and adheres to Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) guidelines. To establish policies that creates and maintains a safe workplace with zero harm.

KEY DELIVERABLES:

-Develop and execute health and safety plans according to legal guidelines
-Prepare and enforce policies to establish a culture of health and safety
-Evaluate practices, procedures and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the law
-Conduct training and presentations for health and safety matters and accident prevention
-Monitor compliance to policies and laws by inspecting employees and operations
-Implement various programs mandated by the corporate to strengthen the Safety & Health Performance
-Inspect equipment and machinery to observe possible unsafe conditions
-Analyze accident reports and evaluate injury case studies based on available facts
-Ensure timely reporting of the incidents and monthly performance reports.
-Recommend solutions to issues, improvement opportunities or new prevention measures
-Ensure compliance with all regulatory bodies and standards
-Health, Safety and Environmental management systems such as the OHSAS 18001

REQUIREMENTS/QUALIFICATIONS

-Bachelor's degree / HND in any discipline from a reputable institution
-Professional qualification in EHS and Fire & Safety Management Systems or Industrial Safety. Nebosh certification is preferred.

EXPERIENCE/SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE

-Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience.
-3-4 years in a similar industry
-Computer expertise especially in MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint and EHS Management tools.
-Strong bias for action
-Incident Investigation methods & Auditing techniques
-Technical knowledge on Fire Safety management, Industrial Safety standards, Electrical Safety etc.
-Deep understanding of legal health and safety guidelines
-Good knowledge of data analysis and risk assessment
-Excellent inter-personnel skills and ability to influence.
-Ability to multitask with little or no supervision.

APPLICATION CLOSING DATE

15th July, 2020

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdL5puyfyPQO3hBkyKt1XeCETVC2kczzU1JFR8xoBxpsMPvnQ/viewform
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Juwon21: 9:35am On Jul 05, 2020
Tenth man we appreciate these

(quote author=TenthMan post=91387937]POSITION
HSE Manager

ORGANIZATION
Proten International (HR) Company is Recruiting on behalf of an organization

AREA OF SPECIALIZATION/SECTOR
Food and Agriculture Business. The company is a leading Food and Agribusiness in Nigeria who supplies food, ingredients, feed and fibre to 19,800 customers worldwide.

JOB DESCRIPTION
To implement/ensure that the operation complies and adheres to Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) guidelines. To establish policies that creates and maintains a safe workplace with zero harm.

KEY DELIVERABLES:

-Develop and execute health and safety plans according to legal guidelines
-Prepare and enforce policies to establish a culture of health and safety
-Evaluate practices, procedures and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the law
-Conduct training and presentations for health and safety matters and accident prevention
-Monitor compliance to policies and laws by inspecting employees and operations
-Implement various programs mandated by the corporate to strengthen the Safety & Health Performance
-Inspect equipment and machinery to observe possible unsafe conditions
-Analyze accident reports and evaluate injury case studies based on available facts
-Ensure timely reporting of the incidents and monthly performance reports.
-Recommend solutions to issues, improvement opportunities or new prevention measures
-Ensure compliance with all regulatory bodies and standards
-Health, Safety and Environmental management systems such as the OHSAS 18001

REQUIREMENTS/QUALIFICATIONS

-Bachelor's degree / HND in any discipline from a reputable institution
-Professional qualification in EHS and Fire & Safety Management Systems or Industrial Safety. Nebosh certification is preferred.

EXPERIENCE/SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE

-Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience.
-3-4 years in a similar industry
-Computer expertise especially in MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint and EHS Management tools.
-Strong bias for action
-Incident Investigation methods & Auditing techniques
-Technical knowledge on Fire Safety management, Industrial Safety standards, Electrical Safety etc.
-Deep understanding of legal health and safety guidelines
-Good knowledge of data analysis and risk assessment
-Excellent inter-personnel skills and ability to influence.
-Ability to multitask with little or no supervision.

APPLICATION CLOSING DATE

15th July, 2020

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdL5puyfyPQO3hBkyKt1XeCETVC2kczzU1JFR8xoBxpsMPvnQ/viewform[/quote]
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by dacillin: 4:30pm On Jul 15, 2020
My enquiries abt NEBOSH IGC cost of training and certification is abt 210K to 250K while ISPON graduates training and certification for GHSE and HSE 3 is abt 110K.

I think i go for NEBOSH which is international recognize. What did you think fam

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Juwon21: 12:13pm On Jul 18, 2020
This questions has been answered before now, kindly go through the previous chapters of the thread.
My enquiries abt NEBOSH IGC cost of training and certification is abt 210K to 250K while ISPON graduates training and certification for GHSE and HSE 3 is abt 110K.

I think i go for NEBOSH which is international recognize. What did you think fam[/quote]
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by OLESCO(f): 7:59pm On Jul 19, 2020
TenthMan:

[b]WHAT NEXT AFTER APPROPRIATE CERTIFICATION:[/bFor Oil and Gas you will mainly look at Lagos, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Cross Rivers. Cast your bread upon many waters. Cast a dragnet. If you get more than one offer at a time then come here and we will be able to guide you on the best option. Long story short, Apply for ALL that you can apply for. Create CVs for both industries. Submit same and see which one comes first. Infact if you get invited, then come here and we will help you prepare for the interview.

God bless you for this..... this isn't for me though but u have done justice to my silent question
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by TenthMan(m): 5:51pm On Jul 20, 2020
Loris576:

Thank you sir for the information
I am an undergraduate and i went to ispon office in my state and i was told to start the training from hse level2
I hope there is no problem with that sir

Absolutely no problem. They feel based on your current level of qualification, you do not need to start from Level 1 (the Basics). To the best of my understanding, a Graduate is supposed to do General HSE and then move straight ahead to HSE Level 3.

Gladly take the opportunity and complete the course. Then apply for professional membership. Ensure you got information from ispon.gov.ng. Remember there are factions. I advice you work with the ones that the government has allowed to use the .gov.ng. domain extension. Even though this is still a risk due to the never ending court cases.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (113) (Reply)

How Much Is Level 8/2 Based On New Salary Structure? / Has Any Federal Civil Servant Received The New Minimum Wage? / ICAN November 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 230
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.