Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,119 members, 7,807,386 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

Any HSE Professionals In The House? - Career (95) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any HSE Professionals In The House? (405514 Views)

Re: Hse Professionals / Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? / Hse Professionals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (113) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by ESSOHEngineers: 11:06pm On Aug 19, 2019
LILCHIJICARTEL:
Good day house.
I studied linguistics at the university of Lagos and I would like to re-invent my career path through HSE is it possible to study HSE or must I be science inclined to study .
Where do I start from and how do I go about it.
All contributions are accepted wink

Having a Physical/Natural Science or Engineering background is only considered an advantage. You can still learn the fundamental knowledge and skills of
-Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology
-Maths/Statistics,
-Sociology
-Psychology
-Management Sciences and
-Law Amongst others.

These are critical to the foundation for the Health, Safety/Security, Occupational Health and Environmental Management Profession. Please further note that the art of Management and Administration is a skill set that ALL Professionals should have. Even if you are a Nuclear Scientist or NASA Engineer. Additionally, the discipline has the Human/Cultural Aspect to it. For those who have delved into the discipline beyond the basics, areas like Industrial Safety Culture,Human Factor and Ergonomics, Risk Communication, etc. are areas we are well aware of that you do not necessarily need to dy/dx to get by.

There is nothing taught on earth that cannot be learnt. It is only a matter of interest. If you are very interested, set a goal for yourself.

Start first by knowing how far you want delve into the profession. Understand the basic and fundamental topics. Proficiency in the profession is broken into levels. Then acquire materials to read on your own. Join HSE Fora online and see discussions etc. Research issues and questions by forum members and try to contribute. Generally immerse yourself into reading and practicing what you need. When you are good and ready enough attend and go write the professional exam. Generally is it

Interest - Knowledge - Skills - Networks - Experience - Professional (and the cycle starts afresh).

You are in Nigeria and things are done under regulatory context. We always recommend to start with ISPON. Then should you desire so, progress into other robust/sophisticated trainings like NEBOSH, etc.

Good luck.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by ESSOHEngineers: 12:10am On Aug 20, 2019
QueenBumshasha:
Good day everyone
Nice thread

Please I'm a young lawyer but would like to get other certification to boost myself(I'm not practicing now so I have time). I initially wanted to do a HR course but someone lightly said I should do Project Management instead that it has HR in it.
However coming to this thread now I see there's more to it.
Please which aspect of HSE can be recommended
And I need to be enlightened too so I know the differences and my best option.
Also would like to know the best place for training in the South, preferably Ph.

THANKS IN ANTICIPATION

It depends on personal goals and desires. Professional qualifications are usually based on interest of the individual. You have HR, PM and HSE to choose from. In what ramifications and situations do you see yourself applying any of these should it be your choice? If you follow the HSE Line do you intend to practise it?

A Lawyer left Nigeria relocating overseas because he met and married a citizen. He is well schooled in Nigeria. However, the process of practising law there is a long shot due to educational and professional requirements. He decided before relocatinf to tow the HSE Line. He did some OSHA courses in the US and today works as a HSE Man in a Gravity Fueling Service Company for fracking fields in the USA. He was hell bent on following the HSE Line so much that before he left Nigeria he had read OSHA, NEBOSH and ISPON Materials. Additionally, now the company also subjects him to internal general training sessions and talks. A lawyer is now inspecting valves, monitoring spills and process control for gravity fueling systems in an Oil Field. He took time to create interest and took a decision. While not being an Engineer or Physical Scientist, he also, reported that he has an advantage over other HSE Guys in the office as he easily interprets the regulations, standards and guidelines. He can also write regulations and company guidelines better than even the guys he met there. Yes a Lawyer, 10 years plus at the Bar should have such advantages. This same lawyer had completed the PMP course with exams in Ghana and he did some professional courses in Nigeria and is registered with the Institute of Personnel Management.

There must be that initial interest, dream, expectation and resilience. Should you decide you want to go the HSE Route, then further information can be provided.

Look at your options, pick you interest. Let personal interest and value you want to add guide you. From which option can you offer great service that people seek and you get money in return? What stops you from doing all at basic levels ,then select the one you can focus more on latter.

Really spend time to think about your options.

Good luck.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Parrotpal(m): 12:13pm On Aug 20, 2019
ESSOHEngineers:

How would you consider/rate your writing skills?

Kindly let us know. Especially on Environmental Impact Assessments and Facility Operational Safety Case. We are in need of mildly teachable persons who can handle some jobs on a freelance basis.

Please you must have above average TECHNICAL writing skills from a descriptive essay approach with the ability to work with little supervision and more of verbal directives. Since you might be working on your own, we do hope you have a personal laptop.

Best regards.

Dear EssoHEngineers,

I understand the question was not directed to me. However, if you need more hands in your organization, I am well equipped to fit in.

I hold a Bachelor degree in Urban and Regional Planning and during my undergraduate study, I took several courses in EIA.

Also, I am presently a freelance writer and I had written numerous reports, research and essays on topics ranging from business, IT, Engineering, EIA among others. If you don't mind, I can send my previous projects/papers to you.

Presently, I am an intern with the Ogun State Urban and Regional Planning Board, the agency charged with regulating building developments within the state and also ensure that all proposed developments adhere and conform with the state environmental planning law. As such, I understand the intricacies and requirement neccessary to write an EIA reports that will meet the requirements/specifications of the relevant regulatory agencies.

You can reach me through johnbabatunde1994@gmail.com or 08101092213

Many thanks!
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by ESSOHEngineers: 7:56am On Aug 21, 2019
Parrotpal:

Dear EssoHEngineers,

I understand the question was not directed to me. However, if you need more hands in your organization, I am well equipped to fit in.

I hold a Bachelor degree in Urban and Regional Planning and during my undergraduate study, I took several courses in EIA.

Also, I am presently a freelance writer and I had written numerous reports, research and essays on topics ranging from business, IT, Engineering, EIA among others. If you don't mind, I can send my previous projects/papers to you.

Presently, I am an intern with the Ogun State Urban and Regional Planning Board, the agency charged with regulating building developments within the state and also ensure that all proposed developments adhere and conform with the state environmental planning law. As such, I understand the intricacies and requirement neccessary to write an EIA reports that will meet the requirements/specifications of the relevant regulatory agencies.

You can reach me through johnbabatunde1994@gmail.com or 08101092213

Many thanks!

Interesting.

Acknowledging this. Further discussions shall be made privately.

Accept our highest regards on the matter.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Parrotpal(m): 11:53am On Aug 22, 2019
ESSOHEngineers:

Interesting.
Acknowledging this. Further discussions shall be made privately.
Accept our highest regards on the matter.
Good luck.
Alright. Many thanks.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by BruncleZuma: 12:11pm On Aug 22, 2019
grin grin grin grin

Good to see fruitful discussions flowing around. Good luck to everyone.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 9:17am On Aug 27, 2019
I saw a post from charkins maritime and offshore, how true and reliable.. Is it internationally recognized?
Also between NEBOSH which is better?
Need some enlightenment
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by BruncleZuma: 12:35pm On Aug 27, 2019
Ejom:
I saw a post from charkins maritime and offshore, how true and reliable.. Is it internationally recognized?
Also between NEBOSH which is better?
Need some enlightenment

It depends on what course you are after, Charkins is accredited by several international bodies(IMCA, IMO, OPITO, IWCF etc) as well as national (NIMASA, DPR).

NEBOSH on the other hand is a UK Occupational Safety and Health examinations body thus the name.(National Examinations Board on Occupational Safety and Health) and they are responsible for several Internationally recognised Occupational Safety and Health courses as well as Environmental Courses.

You can get both(Maritime/Offshore course and NEBOSH Courses) or get one of them depending on your career trajectory.

Getting any Offshore/Maritime course means you have limited your career prospects to those Industries whilst an individual with NEBOSH can function in both but with the addition of supporting course like BOSIET, HUET etc.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 27, 2019
BruncleZuma:

It depends on what course you are after, Charkins is accredited by several international bodies(IMCA, IMO, OPITO, IWCF etc) as well as national (NIMASA, DPR).

NEBOSH on the other hand is a UK Occupational Safety and Health examinations body thus the name.(National Examinations Board on Occupational Safety and Health) and they are responsible for several Internationally recognised Occupational Safety and Health courses as well as Environmental Courses.

You can get both(Maritime/Offshore course and NEBOSH Courses) or get one of them depending on your career trajectory.

Getting any Offshore/Maritime course means you have limited your career prospects to those Industries whilst an individual with NEBOSH can function in both but with the addition of supporting course like BOSIET, HUET etc.
Good one,ve a friend in south Korea,planning to meet him up with some advantage professional courses in maritime/offshore.
Although, am a final year student,studying accounting, just needed some additional training in those field to boost my chances of gaining a job in the oil firm..

The said courses are quiet expensive.
Call earlier for cost inquiry, was told maritime (90k)
Offshore (250k)
While NEBOSH (250k)
Wats ur opinion
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by BruncleZuma: 1:08pm On Aug 27, 2019
Ejom:

Good one,ve a friend in south Korea,planning to meet him up with some advantage professional courses in maritime/offshore.
Although, am a final year student,studying accounting, just needed some additional training in those field to boost my chances of gaining a job in the oil firm..

The said courses are quiet expensive.
Call earlier for cost inquiry, was told maritime (90k)
Offshore (250k)
While NEBOSH (250k)
With is ur opinion

It depends on what type of Maritime course you're going for.

Security, Environment, Safety etc

Some NEBOSH courses on the other hand are generalist in nature thus can get you into most industries.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Aug 27, 2019
BruncleZuma:

It depends on what type of Maritime course you're going for.

Security, Environment, Safety etc

Some NEBOSH courses on the other hand are generalist in nature thus can get you into most industries.
Thanks a lot.
Lastly, will like to know if charkins issue level 8 on health, safety and environment
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by BruncleZuma: 1:56pm On Aug 27, 2019
Ejom:

Thanks a lot.
Lastly, will like to know if charkins issue level 8 on health, safety and environment

Bruh!

grin grin grin grin

A level 8 would be equivalent to a PHD emeritus if we use the NVQ Or SQF Classification

All HSE certs stop at Level 6 which is a Master's/Bachelors (Full-time) equivalent.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 27, 2019
BruncleZuma:

Bruh!

grin grin grin grin

A level 8 would be equivalent to a PHD emeritus if we use the NVQ Or SQF Classification

All HSE certs stop at Level 6 which is a Master's/Bachelors (Full-time) equivalent.
OK thanks
Na d blood just dey hot grin grin
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by BruncleZuma: 3:59am On Aug 28, 2019
Ejom:

OK thanks
Na d blood just dey hot grin grin
Be safe out there man
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by PremiumTrends(m): 1:25pm On Aug 28, 2019
Good day. I was going through this forum as usual and I came across your comment. I'd like to declare my interest in this opportunity as I see it as a platform to gain knowledge and also direct my path towards my career in Environmental Engineering/Health Safety, and Security.
I am a graduate(Second class honours, Upper Division) with background knowledge from an Environmental discipline and I also possess knowledge gained during my internship with the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR), Lagos Zonal Office as an intern safety officer where I participated in EIA studies, Oil Spill Contingency Plan Activation, Quaterly Compliance Monitoring reports, Site suitability inspections and basic safety training.
I hope to add more valuable skills and knowledge which will help in the healthy growth of my professional career and also guide me along the right path.
I can be contacted via email: iobinnanduka@gmail.com and 07033377575.
I hope to hear from you soon. Warm regards.
ESSOHEngineers:

How would you consider/rate your writing skills?

Kindly let us know. Especially on Environmental Impact Assessments and Facility Operational Safety Case. We are in need of mildly teachable persons who can handle some jobs on a freelance basis.

Please you must have above average TECHNICAL writing skills from a descriptive essay approach with the ability to work with little supervision and more of verbal directives. Since you might be working on your own, we do hope you have a personal laptop.

Best regards.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Aug 28, 2019
HSE Assistant Lagos, Nigeria
Job title: HSE Assistant

Deadline: 31 August, 2019

Job details

Application are soughted from qualified candidate for the position of HSE assistant at our various locations.
Duties/Responsibilities:

Inspect work areas to detect unsafe or unhealthy working conditions.
Inspect general work environment, machinery and equipment for conformance with manufacturers standards, laid down procedures or in response to compliants or accidents
Photograph work environment suspected of endangering workers to provide evidence required to initiate corrective action.
Issue and maintain report and record of accidents
Undertake interviews to obtain fact about work practice or workplace accidents.
Rate unsafe conditions according to factors like severity of potential and the safety of equipment used.
Document safety policy
Observe employees at work to define compliance with safety precautions and the safety of equipment use.
Qualification/ Requirements

Candidate must have B.Sc or HND in any sciences (A degree in Engineering will be an added advantage)
Must have professional certification (HSE level 1,2 and 3)
At least 2 years working experience
Must be computer literate and highly proficient in the use of MS Office suite
Resident in Lagos or Ogun state
To apply

Suitable and Qualified candidate should forward a copy of their updated curriculum vitae to humanresources@rapidvigil.com or chidimma.udoye@rapidvigil.com
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by BruncleZuma: 8:31am On Aug 29, 2019
Sempumping:
HSE Assistant Lagos, Nigeria
Job title: HSE Assistant

Deadline: 31 August, 2019

Job details

Application are soughted from qualified candidate for the position of HSE assistant at our various locations.
Duties/Responsibilities:

Inspect work areas to detect unsafe or unhealthy working conditions.
Inspect general work environment, machinery and equipment for conformance with manufacturers standards, laid down procedures or in response to compliants or accidents
Photograph work environment suspected of endangering workers to provide evidence required to initiate corrective action.
Issue and maintain report and record of accidents
Undertake interviews to obtain fact about work practice or workplace accidents.
Rate unsafe conditions according to factors like severity of potential and the safety of equipment used.
Document safety policy
Observe employees at work to define compliance with safety precautions and the safety of equipment use.
Qualification/ Requirements

Candidate must have B.Sc or HND in any sciences (A degree in Engineering will be an added advantage)
Must have professional certification (HSE level 1,2 and 3)
At least 2 years working experience
Must be computer literate and highly proficient in the use of MS Office suite
Resident in Lagos or Ogun state
To apply

Suitable and Qualified candidate should forward a copy of their updated curriculum vitae to humanresources@rapidvigil.com or chidimma.udoye@rapidvigil.com

Thanks for sharing
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by ESSOHEngineers: 12:18am On Aug 30, 2019
BruncleZuma:

Bruh!

grin grin grin grin

He will have to pursue the university or post graduate degree awarding institution route to achieve level 7 and 8. Not in a Training Center like Charkin or Novelle of today.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by BruncleZuma: 11:17am On Aug 30, 2019
ESSOHEngineers:

He will have to pursue the university or post graduate degree awarding institution route to achieve level 7 and 8. Not in a Training Center like Charkin or Novelle of today.

That is correct
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Jesutofney(m): 2:05pm On Sep 02, 2019
Hello house, please i need your take on a life changing decision
i have my first degree in marketing from a Swiss university and now faced with the dilemma of going for masters in project management or simply enrolling at nebosh for the project management course. My fear is career progression and relevance of certificate. people with experience in the house please advice. Thanks
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by BruncleZuma: 2:07pm On Sep 02, 2019
Jesutofney:
Hello house, please i need your take on a life changing decision
i have my first degree in marketing from a Swiss university and now faced with the dilemma of going for masters in project management or simply enrolling at nebosh for the project management course. My fear is career progression and relevance of certificate. people with experience in the house please advice. Thanks

Ofney, go through the posts from the beginning, there are lots of tips and questions similar to yours in there.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Jesutofney(m): 3:02pm On Sep 02, 2019
BruncleZuma:

Ofney, go through the posts from the beginning, there are lots of tips and questions similar to yours in there.

Alright chief
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by BruncleZuma: 3:08pm On Sep 02, 2019
Jesutofney:

Alright chief
Some may be dated but they are still relevant.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by trendydeddy1: 7:05am On Sep 05, 2019
I had Bsc.(Hons) Physics
Presently on with a Masters in Environmental Management.

As a starter, with no experience in the HSE field, which HSE course is best for me to start with to have an edge?

Thanks!
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by BruncleZuma: 9:03am On Sep 05, 2019
trendydeddy1:
I had Bsc.(Hons) Physics
Presently on with a Masters in Environmental Management.

As a starter, with no experience in the HSE field, which HSE course is best for me to start with to have an edge?

Thanks!

Hey, congratulations on your Achievement; kindly go through the thread, there are countless of questions similar to yours about (15-20) all information given here are (except for those asking you to do their organisations courses).
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by arizona20: 12:15pm On Sep 05, 2019
Please I really like to get this NEBOSH cert but my question is,how recognised is it and chances of getting a high paying safety job with it.please no insults house.I am presently in Construction Industry.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by BruncleZuma: 3:11pm On Sep 05, 2019
arizona20:
Please I really like to get this NEBOSH cert but my question is,how recognised is it and chances of getting a high paying safety job with it.please no insults house.I am presently in Construction Industry.

NEBOSH is a globally recognised and highly covetted certification.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by trendydeddy1: 3:47pm On Sep 05, 2019
Please I'd need the NEBOSH material. Kindly help by sending to me too
Adedeji2005@yahoo.com
Beehandz:

thanks bro.got it. anybody interested too can request the NEBOSH material as the sender told us to share with others
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by arizona20: 4:12pm On Sep 05, 2019
Please I also need the NEBOSH materials please.where is the best place for the training here in Lagos.I am registering this September for the classes.please send to my mail

nanamm4real@yahoo.com
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by trendydeddy1: 4:26pm On Sep 05, 2019
Please can you help with the NEBOSH material to my email: adedeji2005@yahoo.com
Thank you sir
Hi all, am a certified safety officer (level 1-3), and OSHA. A geology graduate from A.B.U zaria.
If anyone needs the NEBOSH materials and application form for FREEEE. Pls call me on 07069471585 or email me on: danielchioboy@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) ... (113) (Reply)

How Much Is Level 8/2 Based On New Salary Structure? / Has Any Federal Civil Servant Received The New Minimum Wage? / ICAN November 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.