Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,241 members, 7,807,819 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:50 PM

Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor (2162 Views)

If Nigerian Mechanics Were Medical Doctors / Mechanics And The Pranks They Play On Car Owners. Share Your Experience / Beware Of Catalyst Stealing Mechanics, Welders And Car Dealers!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by PapaNnamdi: 12:54pm On Sep 15, 2014
this has been a thing of worry,
when i was still younger whenever our car battery charger brought back our car battery when my dad wasnt around he always advised us neva to put it on d floor, that we shoud place a plank on the floor first,

now that am old, mechanics and battery charger still do dis same practice,

pls nairalanders shed more lyt on this cos i bliv its just highly lugrubious, what will placing the car battery on a bare floor do to the battery?

#Ewulehwu
Re: Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by Lagusta(m): 2:05pm On Sep 15, 2014
They believe placing it on the ground will discharge the voltage...

They applied the "ground connection" theory in a wrong way
Re: Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by Nobody: 2:07pm On Sep 15, 2014
A battery left on a concrete floor will deplete over time, the depletion rate is accelerated if the floor is cold.

The same storage method is practiced here too, only dead, unserviceable batteries are placed on a concrete or stone floor.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by Lagusta(m): 2:47pm On Sep 15, 2014
Siena: A battery left on a concrete floor will deplete over time, the depletion rate is accelerated if the floor is cold.

The same storage method is practiced here too, only dead, unserviceable batteries are placed on a concrete or stone floor.

sorry but, what of a sandy ground
Re: Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by Seun(m): 2:52pm On Sep 15, 2014
It's a myth:
Car batteries used to be encased in hard rubber, a substance that was porous enough that battery acid could seep through it and create a conductive path through the damp concrete, draining the battery. The cases of today’s batteries, however, are made of sturdier stuff that far better contains their contents than those of yesteryear. As well, time has brought technological improvements to the seals around the posts and the vent systems.

These days, the problem of car battery electrolyte seepage and migration has been all but eliminated. Says battery manufacturer Yuasa, "Nowadays, containers are made from a solid plastic that does not allow any current to flow through it, so the batteries do not discharge, even if they sit in a few inches of water."

Interestingly, some experts (including Car Talk's Click and Clack) believe that storing car batteries on concrete floors might actually be a better idea than keeping them on shelves or other surfaces because the cold of the floor works to slow the self-discharge (leakage) rate.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/battery.asp

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by Lilimax(f): 3:02pm On Sep 15, 2014
I don't really have an answer for this smiley
Hardly do i bring out my car battery from the car except it requires a change which is
done once in two years if I'm not mistaken; so whatever surface to place the battery is immaterial to me embarassed

I also hate it when my mechanic wants to jump-start a car using my battery smiley
Re: Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by PapaNnamdi: 4:17pm On Sep 15, 2014
Lilimax: I don't really have answer for this smiley
Hardly do i bring out my car battery from the car except it requires a change which is
done once in two years if I'm not mistaken; so whatever surface to place the battery is immaterial to me embarassed

I also hate it when my mechanic wants to jump-start a car using my battery smiley

choi, u ar using a CAR, me na MOTOR i de drive, and most tyms i giv battery charger my battery grin
Re: Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by Denn(m): 8:54pm On Sep 15, 2014
Lilimax: I don't really have an answer for this smiley

Your post did not answer the question.

Now we know you have a car that you replace the battery every 24 months.
Re: Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by Lilimax(f): 10:25pm On Sep 15, 2014
Denn:

Your post did not answer the question.

Now we know you have a car that you replace the battery every 24 months.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by aieromon(m): 10:41pm On Sep 15, 2014
Siena: A battery left on a concrete floor will deplete over time, the depletion rate is accelerated if the floor is cold.

This is news to me. Thanks for the explanation. My question is how exactly does the depletion occur?
Re: Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by Nobody: 11:35pm On Sep 15, 2014
Seun: It's a myth:

Seun, do you mind sharing your car experiences with the boys in here? We never see you in this part of town grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:51pm On Sep 15, 2014
Seun: It's a myth:

shocked shocked shocked shocked its the boss himself

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by DarqChild: 1:13pm On Sep 16, 2014
Actually it's not a myth. Heard of earthing before? Its when a charged body looses its charge to the earth. They have the right concept but it's somewhat wrong because the battery is encased in a plastic insulator.
Re: Why Do Mechanics Freak Out Once U put Your Car Battery On The Floor by kengasket(m): 11:02am On Sep 30, 2014
discharge occurs due to accelerated increase in the batteries internal discharge rate, caused by temperature differential between the bottom of the battery that is in contact with the floor and the top that is in contact with the open space surrounding the battery.

(1) (Reply)

Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank / Pls I Need Help With My 2000 Nissan Altima / Super Cars With Super Speed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.