Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death (41696 Views)

Soldiers Attack GOC, Victor Eziegwu Over Food, Water Shortage In Maiduguri / Agbakoba Sues Army Over 12 Soldiers’ Conviction / 50 Terrorists, 12 Soldiers, Policemen Feared Killed In Borno Attacks. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Nobody: 2:52am On Sep 16, 2014
A military court sitting in Abuja on Monday found 13 out of the 18 soldiers standing trial for mutiny and other offences guilty.

Twelve of the convicted soldiers were sentenced to death, five were discharged and acquitted while the remaining one was jailed for 28 days with hard labour.

The soldiers had on May 14, 2014 fired shots at the General Officer Commanding the newly created 7 Division of Nigerian Army, Maj. Gen. Ahmed Mohammmed, in Maiduguri.

The act is viewed in the military as mutiny.

Those discharged are David Robert, Mohammed Sani, Iseh Ubong, Sebastine Gwaba and Naaman Samuel.

Jeremiah Echocho was sentenced to 28 days with hard labour.

Those who were sentenced to death are Jasper Braidolor, David Musa, Friday Onuh, Yusuf Shuaibu, Igonmu Emmanuel, Andrew Ugbede, Nurudeen Ahmed, Ifeanyi Alukagba, Alao Samuel, Amadi Chukwuma, Alan Linus, and Stephen Clement.

They were found guilty of criminal conspiracy, mutiny, attempt to commit murder (shooting of the vehicle of the GOC); insubordination to a particular order; insubordination and false accusation.

The President of the Court Martial, Maj. Gen. C.C. Okonkwo, said the 12 soldiers were found guilty of three of the most heinous charges bars.

The legal team of the convicts pleaded with the court martial to temper justice with mercy.

The team reeled out pathetic stories about the family backgrounds of the convicted servicemen.

One was said to be the only son of his octogenarian widowed mother.

Another is the father of a five-month-old baby.

The defence team argued that giving them maximum sentence would do more harm than good, adding that it would increase the agony of their dependants.

The attack on the GOC and his men reportedly occurred when they visited the cantonment.

The Maimalari Cantonment is the headquarters of 7 Division, the newest Division of the Nigerian Army.

Military sources said that soldiers at the cantonment had been complaining of insufficient ammunition, food and allowances prior to the GOC’s visit.

They were also reportedly unhappy and their morale was at its lowest ebb because there had not been troop rotation for a long time since their deployment to combat Boko Haram terrorists in the North- East.

“The GOC’s visit coincided with the arrival of the corpses of soldiers killed in an ambush in Chibok on the night of May 13, 2014.

“The apparently agitated soldiers, on sighting the corpses of their slain colleagues became hysteric. Some opened fire on the GOC, who was lucky to have escaped unhurt. However, the bullets hit and seriously injured some of his bodyguards, who also fled to safety,” the source said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/12-soldiers-who-attacked-goc-sentenced-to-death/

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Nobody: 2:52am On Sep 16, 2014
sad cry cry cry

seun thanks for putting this on FP, and i pray GOD will continue to expand nairaland.

for my fans out there, i will continue to give you the best news

for my family, thanks for raising such a wonderful son, i will never disappoint

thank you God for the oxygen

Thank you haters for your motivation

thank you sleep for making me be the first to get this news

thank you all

ONE LOVE

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Nobody: 3:08am On Sep 16, 2014
donnypool: sad cry cry cry
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Dayjhihannon01(m): 3:16am On Sep 16, 2014
Chai. Imagine the frustration nah.. The guys are not rotated, neither do you give dem enof food and allowances... sad sad The GOC come dey visit them from his safety abode, after embezzlin dia allowances uhm?.. SMH... But dey shudnt av opened fire when the knew the GOC won't be dead nah... Dey shud av targeted him on the head at more close range nah..... sad .... Who con dey say coup de atat nor still possible for naija....? Proud of you as you walk to the Gallows jere Gallant soldiers... And to GOC; 1 day for d thief and d oda for the owner o...

MODIFIED/ADDED
Yes they knew the rule I think... But you must remember what's frustrating them; hugging death in the battle field on empty stomachs, while they knew who is siphoning their $.. Abi nor be d same rule create allowances and rotation or whatever for dem? Where are the others that should be rotated or shifted as per duty roaster basis? Maybe somewhere save cus they are more influential than the un-rotated onez ........ Remember these are humans also.. Meanwhile we shud remember not all dis ppl really wanna becom a soldier in d first place, bt are dia because of unemployment...
Well... God Bless Nigeria

151 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by seunlayi(m): 4:20am On Sep 16, 2014
mutiny / rebel / disloyalty etc are never welcomed in the military in any part of the world hence the high standard military are known for worldwide. The consequence of this action is no longer new since the time of old. Therefore, the judgement is normal in the military, but i hope that the fg will display some maturity has we are all aware of the prevailing circumstances that led to that incident so that they will be pardon soon

40 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by gratiaeo(m): 4:24am On Sep 16, 2014
I wonder what prompted them to attacked their GOC, despite the fact that they know they will be facing death penalties for Mutiny. The Nigerian Army should addressed the motive behind these soldiers action to thwart the reoccurrence of such action.
This is too bad, How many Boko Haram, that have been killing scores of people sentenced to Death? Somebody please tell them that jailing and executing demoralized soldiers is certainly not an effective way of instilling discipline in the army.

74 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by free2ryhme: 4:37am On Sep 16, 2014
cry sad

2 Likes

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Controversy: 4:45am On Sep 16, 2014
Double whala….. the GOC left unhurt,,,, yet they were convict to death. I wish they could have killed the GOC and it would server as deterrent to those oga at the top. It is easier to arrange and convict them, but it is difficult for to find lasting solutions to the reason for their agitations.
Quick judgement, bt not quick solution to the cause of the problem, nigerian military wit funny characters, u send christians to go nd die in war torn north east abi? This judgement must not be allowed to stay. It is indeed an illwind. It will blow no one no good. A word is enough for the wise.

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by kenbee(f): 4:49am On Sep 16, 2014
it
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by fabraham(m): 4:49am On Sep 16, 2014
Another jungle justice

1 Like

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Nobody: 4:51am On Sep 16, 2014
Double wahala...@ least d GOC now sabi say dem no fit tolerate hin action again and he too no fit dey sleep wiv two eyes closed....
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Pangea: 4:51am On Sep 16, 2014
I dey see some Nairalanders on that list!
Naa wa o!

On a serious note,
The nigerian military is like a secret cult!
You can't protest against your commanding officer even if he decides to kill you.

The worst of it all is that, the higher authority will still protect the officer, even if he is wrong!

What a wicked organisation!

I still remember the story of the ECOMOG soldiers that protested against the embezzling of their allowance by their commander!
How they were dealt with by a kangaroo court martial and even a lady among them was lumped together with the males in thesame cell.
We don't even know what happened to them again!

There is no justice in this country, that's all I will say now!

12 Likes

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by eleojo23: 4:52am On Sep 16, 2014
Their action is condemnable but looking at the fact that they did it out of frustration, I think the death penalty is too harsh. I guess they want to use this as a deterrent to others. Nevertheless, the issue that led to this kind of behaviour should be addressed. Don't soldiers have rights too? You don't expect them to keep mute even when treated unfairly.

14 Likes

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Zarathena(f): 4:53am On Sep 16, 2014
Height of indiscpline undecided

4 Likes

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by skillet(m): 4:54am On Sep 16, 2014
What can I say? Nothing.

Nothing but this: what kind of animals are we breeding in the millitary? The highly placed officers are theives and cultists, while the lower yeomen are armed robbers and cultists. Imagine getting hysteric and then opening fire on fellow officers with the service guns nigeria gave them to protect civilians. They should have killed the goc. Then they should have been executed too.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by gratiaeo(m): 4:55am On Sep 16, 2014
Those discharged are David Robert, Mohammed Sani, Iseh Ubong, Sebastine Gwaba and Naaman Samuel.

Those who were sentenced to death are Jasper Braidolor, David Musa, Friday Onuh, Yusuf Shuaibu, Igonmu Emmanuel, Andrew Ugbede, Nurudeen Ahmed, Ifeanyi Alukagba, Alao Samuel, Amadi Chukwuma, Alan Linus, and Stephen Clement.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Nobody: 4:57am On Sep 16, 2014
It was T. Y. Danjuma as head of Military tribunal in one of the African countries, who told the coupists that they were on trial cos they failed. I wonder what got into these men. Don't they know that the Military is a zombie establishment? Even if they had killed the man did they think they would not be found out? They were foolish and are going to pay for it with their lives.

I hope the President in his usual way of currying sympathy from the electorates, does not step in IMMEDIATELY to grant clemency. That would be setting a bad precedent, as the C -in - C, if he does. He should allow tempers and frayed nerves to simmer down first. The men don't deserve to die. They were only foolish.

They should just be held in confinement for a while and quietly dimissed from the service without benefit. Those that steal money appropriated to these men ought to be the ones dangling from a rope.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by TRADELYN: 4:58am On Sep 16, 2014
We sympathise with them, their friends and family members.

So, this would restore the needed order and discipline?

May GoD bless Nigeria!

............ ................ ...............
FROM THE DESK OF TRADELYN.
Experts in Research Projects, Business Plans, Sales/Marketing, etc. 0708 860 8914, tradelyn@gmail.com, www.tradelyn.com.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by DjHypno(m): 4:58am On Sep 16, 2014
So sad.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Nwogbe: 4:59am On Sep 16, 2014
Now this is serious
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Mettal: 5:00am On Sep 16, 2014
No modicum of allegiance even to the country they swore to passionately serve and protect with their life.so sad,so bad,its only in Naija that sh.it of this magnitude happens. well i trust the men on top.In Naija, this is one of the surest way to die being a soldier.

1 Like

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by kalamayat: 5:00am On Sep 16, 2014
Serious
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Nobody: 5:01am On Sep 16, 2014
their k embarassedtheir k
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Funniez: 5:01am On Sep 16, 2014
Those soldiers will soon be secretly set free. No be naija we dey again?

1 Like

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by akunjohn(m): 5:02am On Sep 16, 2014
It is unfair to me,they ve
could just put them in prison now.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by omenka(m): 5:02am On Sep 16, 2014
When I first heard the news about the mutiny, I was happy and commended the soldiers' bravely, and said I can hardly wait for there to be a political mutiny in Abuja!! When my friend and I talked about the development then, he said the incident was long expected and the actions of the boys won the approval of many Nigerians, therefore, nothing is gonna happen to them. Told him how naïve he was and explained things don't particularly work that way in the military circle, that no matter what, a soldier is NOT ALLOWED to rebel against his CO!! I told him they weren't gonna be rewarded, even though the reason for their mutiny was just, but are gonna be severely punished and dealt with; now we got this....

Just hope something is done to let the guys off the hook for the lesson has already been learnt.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by mrofficial(m): 5:03am On Sep 16, 2014
Poor soldiers.

2 Likes

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Arsenalholic(m): 5:04am On Sep 16, 2014
Why does Nigerian politics have to rear it's ugly head in every and organization of our beloved Nation?

Why treat this soldiers like they ain't humans? No rotation, yet they will be feed less than is required. Yet an Oga-at-the-top will sit on the peanuts they recieve and divert some miscellanous stipends they manage to get. Nigeria!!!

The truth of the whole matter tho, this soldiers shouldn't have lost their cool. Karma will serve cold the dish of those who deserve it someday! They shoulda let mother nature take revenge for them.

They know they're in the military, a place where discipline isn't taken for granted.

I pity 'em and their loved ones. So much for choosing to serve the fatherland's. The fatherland's turns back to ill-treat 'em.

5 Likes

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Arsenalholic(m): 5:04am On Sep 16, 2014
donnypool: A military court sitting in Abuja on Monday found 13 out of the 18 soldiers standing trial for mutiny and other offences guilty.
Twelve of the convicted soldiers were sentenced to death, five were discharged and acquitted while the remaining one was jailed for 28 days with hard labour.
The soldiers had on May 14, 2014 fired shots at the General Officer Commanding the newly created 7 Division of Nigerian Army, Maj. Gen. Ahmed Mohammmed, in Maiduguri.
The act is viewed in the military as mutiny.
Jeremiah Echocho was sentenced to 28 days with hard labour.
They were found guilty of criminal conspiracy, mutiny, attempt to commit murder (shooting of the vehicle of the GOC); insubordination to a particular order; insubordination and false accusation.
The President of the Court Martial, Maj. Gen. C.C. Okonkwo, said the 12 soldiers were found guilty of three of the most heinous charges bars.
The legal team of the convicts pleaded with the court martial to temper justice with mercy.
The team reeled out pathetic stories about the family backgrounds of the convicted servicemen.
One was said to be the only son of his octogenarian widowed mother.
Another is the father of a five-month-old baby.
The defence team argued that giving them maximum sentence would do more harm than good, adding that it would increase the agony of their dependants
The attack on the GOC and his men reportedly occurred when they visited the cantonment.
The Maimalari Cantonment is the headquarters of 7 Division, the newest Division of the Nigerian Army.
Military sources said that soldiers at the cantonment had been complaining of insufficient ammunition, food and allowances prior to the GOC’s visit.
They were also reportedly unhappy and their morale was at its lowest ebb because there had not been troop rotation for a long time since their deployment to combat Boko Haram terrorists in the North- East.
“The GOC’s visit coincided with the arrival of the corpses of soldiers killed in an ambush in Chibok on the night of May 13, 2014.
“The apparently agitated soldiers, on sighting the corpses of their slain colleagues became hysteric. Some opened fire on the GOC, who was lucky to have escaped unhurt. However, the bullets hit and seriously injured some of his bodyguards, who also fled to safety,” the source said.
They should've thought about that(emboldened) before embarking on a fool's mission.

This is the military, one organization where discipline isn't compromised. And i respect 'em for it.

7 Likes

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Nobody: 5:04am On Sep 16, 2014
God!
someone should pardon these guys na, they were only being human.
Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Danjunior(m): 5:05am On Sep 16, 2014
Hmm. What a patethic story to hear. "Never attempt a failed mutiny- Albert Einstein"

5 Likes

Re: 12 Soldiers Who Attacked GOC Sentenced To Death by Friendz4blue(m): 5:05am On Sep 16, 2014
i dont blame d GOC at all.i blame d soldiers for nt completin deir job.that man shld av been killed.den d soldiers would av waited for the court mashal.now he wasnt killed and most of them were sentenced to death.to u sayin height of indiscipline.u dont know shit about the military.ur nt in d system.now wat u ppl dont know is dat naija military is where u can c d highest corruption and a high rate of injustice. being a junior man in naija military u av no right...........can u imagine......one day na one day there wil b serios trouble in dis military..........stil waitn for it sha..

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari's 61st Birthday Message To Goodluck Jonathan / 'EduGate': 8 Controversies That Led To Betta Edu’s ‘downfall’ / Sheikh Gumi Blasts Northern Leaders: You’re Hypocrites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.