Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? (5272 Views)

Culture Of Disrespect / Disrespect Of The Red Cap And Igbo Traditions:i Blame Your Parents!! / .. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by danaiks(m): 6:24am On Sep 17, 2014
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by fightforchange1(f): 6:44am On Sep 17, 2014
huh
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Afrocatalyst: 7:02am On Sep 17, 2014
An elder.
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by nickz(m): 7:03am On Sep 17, 2014
whoe defines respect: THE ONE WITH A GUN IN AN ARGUMENT!!angryangry
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by AdeniyiA(m): 7:28am On Sep 17, 2014
Respect is commanded and not demanded.
nuff said
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Artorius(m): 7:38am On Sep 17, 2014
Well it depends on several factors. If the one who claims offense is more aggressive, then the offender for the sake of peace should offer an apology. Especially when the offended is an elder. I have been in such situations several times. But if I'm the one who feels offended, I simply ignore. Like on nairaland cheesy
The mind is tricky though
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Nobody: 8:16am On Sep 17, 2014
sunnedee:

Una no command respect...

grin you are both the disrespecter and the disrespectee
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by dammytosh: 8:35am On Sep 17, 2014
The 'disrespected' determines what disrespect is, not the 'disrespectee'.

Due to our diverse structure, it just makes sense we appreciate others feelings and move on maturely.

If he says he feels disrespected,nothing stops you from saying, you meant no harm and forget about it.
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by beyondwalls: 9:32am On Sep 17, 2014
This post made sense to me because it reminds me of an incident that got my attention yesterday on my way home. I was about to get into keke NAPEP when i met a young lady and an elderly woman standing at the entrance to the back seat because the younger lady said she does not want to sit at the middle so the elderly one needed to go in but she (the elderly woman) refused. The younger lady left peacefully as i observed from the front seat, only to hear the elder woman say 'nonsense, they have no respect'. And i wondered, what has respect got to do with preference? What has respect even got to do with that?
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by beyondwalls: 9:38am On Sep 17, 2014
Respect is defined by more than one factor, the major and most critical ones being culture and preference ( or conscience). It is a bit tricky here because sometimes those two conflict and maintaining a fine balance between the two may be difficult. So, it is about understanding culture and preferences and a blend of both. However, there will always be conflict that can be resolved with simple apology and other means as the case may be.
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by JEITO: 9:39am On Sep 17, 2014
It is normal for humans to want to play the victim and therefore,favour themselves if given the opportunity to judge. So let morality be the judge in this case.
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by sunnedee: 9:46am On Sep 17, 2014
tsolz84: grin you are both the disrespecter and the disrespectee
Tenk u... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 17, 2014
sunnedee:
Tenk u... grin grin grin
tongue
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Bouquilicious1(f): 11:13am On Sep 17, 2014
[quote author=uzomore]
Forgt abt culture n age of a thing,he who deserves apology must be apologies,even a kid deserves it once u finds out u hav default his or her code.[/quote
true talk
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Tracyzee: 12:26pm On Sep 17, 2014
The circumstance and situation will tell
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by Keluong(m): 2:40pm On Sep 17, 2014
kbshow100: What is this one saying??
The most important thing is that I'm FTC
is there something I am missing that others have. I mean why this CHILDISH struggle to be the first to comment? Thats even more childish than many "first to finish" games I played as a kid. Sometimes, I assume that those involved are little children who just got access to the internet, until I see their previous posts and threads. I actually infer "ftc" as "I am jobbless and waiting for a new thread". Please check yourself
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by daluu129(f): 9:38am On Sep 18, 2014
i believe in the concept of respect is reciprocal. In Nigeria especially, people believe that once you are older you have every right to talk/act to a younger fellow in any kind of way he/she deems it fit. I totally do not agree, everyone deserves respect no matter the age. that's my opinion.
Re: Who Defines Disrespect- The Disrespecter Or The Disrespectee? by kalufelix(m): 12:01pm On Sep 18, 2014
I can imagine what prompted this sort of thread from op

too many insecure, low esteemed elders this days who has chosen to hold unto their AGE as their best treasure
Respect is indeed reciprocal and you know what i think.. I think the cycle should start from the elderly...you'd be amazed at the results

You only recieve what you give
dont hang on your old age and expect the kids to lick you feet

Everyone is an elder BTW...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Relationship Between Itsekiri And Igbo / Osun State Bans Tribal Marks For Children / Popular Traditional Names In Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo With Their English Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.