Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,707 members, 7,805,898 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:14 AM

Rats Can Kill Your Dog!!! - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Rats Can Kill Your Dog!!! (5290 Views)

Share Your Home Made Recipes You Prepared For Your Dog / Does Your Dog Kill Rats, Birds And Other Animals? (Pictures) / Dog Breeders List Your Dog Kennel Or Current Puppy Litter Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rats Can Kill Your Dog!!! by maxtum(m): 4:31pm On Sep 16, 2014
Hi Guys, will like to share some quick thoughts about your guard dog killing rats/lizard.
Some few years back I got this Rot from Germany and named her Betty, she was such a lovely dog and we spent 4 years together before I got married to my lovely wife. I formally introduce her to me wife and noticed the jealous look in her eyes (shey na dog I for marry ni!).
To summarize the story, Betty started killing rats and I was sort of happy,but little did I know she was on a wrong part. Then I travel one weekend only to return and notice that Betty wasn’t that active dog I left behind, as I was on my way to work she vomited. I noticed some yellow substance in her vomit and rushed her to the vet clinic.
Then, they put her on drip and etc…but she gave up!
I asked for an autopsy and found out she died from Poison and guess where it came from “A rat”.
Sure the rat ate the poison and she killed the rat to eat

So watch out for your hunting dogs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rats Can Kill Your Dog!!! by Seun(m): 5:10pm On Sep 16, 2014
Sorry about this incident, bro. Thanks for sharing it with us. I see two action points:

1) Poison must never be used for killing pests in a house with pets. Once you get a dog or cat, throw away all your rat poison permanently. You can use glue boards to kill mice and small rats. They are even more effective than poison. Your dogs can probably handle the big rats!

2) Never allow your dog to go hungry for a long time. Most dogs that kill rats do not eat them because they smell very nasty. However, if a dog is very hungry for a long period of time, it may try to eat them. And if the rats have eaten poison or some nasty plants, the dog may die.

3) We should dispose the carcasses of any animals our dogs kill as soon as we notice them, so our dogs won't be tempted to eat them later.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rats Can Kill Your Dog!!! by maxtum(m): 8:34pm On Sep 16, 2014
Thanks Seun! thats quite some while ago!

We figured out that, the poison wasn't from our house or neighbour....it just might be from some few houses away and the rat might just have struggled to my compound at that point in time and my dog went after it.

Learnings: If your dog is a guard dog, once you notice any carcass, first thing is allow the dog lick some red palm oil and lots of water before visiting the vet.

: Teach your guard dogs to play with moving toys and refuse to allow them chew the toy...but they can pick with there mouth.

: Teach your guard dogs more of sit and bark, but dogs varies...Rots and Bullmastiff prefer to attack than bark! so you have to spend more time watching them for a while.

Cheers guys!
Re: Rats Can Kill Your Dog!!! by redcurry(f): 4:15pm On Sep 20, 2014
thanks 4 ds info.
Re: Rats Can Kill Your Dog!!! by Nobody: 10:14pm On Sep 21, 2014
Tanx for this info
Re: Rats Can Kill Your Dog!!! by maxtum(m): 3:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
IfyAngela: Tanx for this info

you welcome!

1 Like

Re: Rats Can Kill Your Dog!!! by flolancracker: 10:26am On Sep 25, 2014
Also lost my GSD after she killed and ate a rat.
Re: Rats Can Kill Your Dog!!! by maxtum(m): 12:32am On Sep 26, 2014
flolancracker: Also lost my GSD after she killed and ate a rat.

Sorry, how did it happen? Do share for others to take learning from.

(1) (Reply)

Buy Caucasians, Mastiff Puppies And Adults Etc In PH, Can Send It To U, C Pics / *THREAD CLOSED* / Meet The Hyena Men Of Nigeria (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.