Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,492 members, 7,781,475 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:06 PM

Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker (12611 Views)

Earn N50000-N100000 Monthly Into Your Nigerian Bank Account / Cyber-cafe Operators in Festac Having Problems With Police (419) / Cyber Cafe Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by TOKUGAWA(m): 8:15pm On Sep 16, 2014
A Nigerian IT worker is being sought by police for his alleged role in co-ordinating a £25m ($40m) cyber-theft at a bank in Abuja where he worked.

Godswill Oyegwa Uyoyou is being sought by Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

A wanted notice claims he helped conspirators dressed as maintenance staff get into the bank so they could use computers to transfer cash.

Local reports suggest the theft was spotted when stolen cash was withdrawn.

Although no members of the gang have been caught, several are being "tracked", Wilson Uwujaren, a spokesman for the EFCC, told News Nigeria.

Details of the robbery are scant but it is thought that Mr Uyoyou and conspirators entered the bank on a Saturday when it was closed and no other staff were working.

The IT staffer was key to the robbery, said the EFCC, because of the access he enjoyed to the computer systems at the bank. This was used to siphon 6.28bn Nigerian Naira into accounts of the conspirators, said the EFCC. So far, the bank at the centre of the theft has not been named.

The EFCC has issued a warrant for Mr Uyoyou's arrest and he is being actively sought in Nigeria.

John Hawes, a computer security researcher at Sophos, said the amount of cash stolen was "unusually large" but the method the gang chose was "all too common".

"Insider risk is a major problem for banks," he wrote on the firm's security blog, "they still have to rely on trusted employees to behave themselves, resist temptation and keep their hands off the huge amounts of funds they may find themselves dealing with every day."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29221315

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by uken73(m): 2:12am On Sep 17, 2014
This is serious. Now how can banks prevent these kinds of crimes, where trusted insiders connive to rob the banks.

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by Mynd44: 6:29am On Sep 17, 2014
This is arguably the largest bank heist(in terms of amount stolen) in Nigeria. Interesting

2 Likes

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by iheanyi40(m): 6:30am On Sep 17, 2014
6.28bn shocked
Niggas aint smiling

7 Likes

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by eleojo23: 6:30am On Sep 17, 2014
This same guys if not caught may use this money to go into politics and what do you think they will do? Looting continua. Why politics? Because it is one of the highest paying 'investments' in our land.

5 Likes

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by datbay(m): 6:31am On Sep 17, 2014
I pray he is caught

1 Like

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by QMark: 6:31am On Sep 17, 2014
That was huge!

4 Likes

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by Kayraph(m): 6:31am On Sep 17, 2014
The guy deserves a National award for this remarkable fit.

He is in the same league with our pen-robbers.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by datguru: 6:31am On Sep 17, 2014
Badoo

3 Likes

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by gidzbobby: 6:33am On Sep 17, 2014
I hope this doesn't affect my own IT o, cus na bank sure pass.
Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by gabriel212: 6:33am On Sep 17, 2014
imagine ow corruption had set her base in this country?
and some people calling him smart without evaluating the effect on the employment and economy for it discourage organisation to promote Nigerians beyond certain level and discourage investment or expansion in the country.
so y should we blame company who employed Indians or Chinese to manage her portfolio when we have Nigerians that can do the job but at the coy risk?
yet ppl we call our govt corrupt.

8 Likes

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by Nobody: 6:33am On Sep 17, 2014
When the custodian of morals is the one breaking it,then something is wrong..

Thief,ole,barawo banza.

3 Likes

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by Naofficial: 6:34am On Sep 17, 2014
Getting too serious.........................!
Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by OLAplusONE(m): 6:34am On Sep 17, 2014
Even if the theft was done on a sunday sef, don't they have daytime security men working on ground, I think there are many people involved in this saga. But really that's a hell lot of money. Alert don enta...LOL

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by owem(f): 6:34am On Sep 17, 2014
Chei na my neighbor be dis;i dy cum mak i go colect ma own share
Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by sunnedee: 6:35am On Sep 17, 2014
Of course... They will start looking for him... while those that steal multiples of this same amount with pen are walking around free forming baba Alaye... Naija I hail....

2 Likes

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by Olawalesadiq(m): 6:35am On Sep 17, 2014
The guy na sharp guy. tor may God forgive him.

2 Likes

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by Nobody: 6:37am On Sep 17, 2014
This news is very old. Them never still catch the guy?

1 Like

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by ghettodreamz(m): 6:37am On Sep 17, 2014
EFCC OYO grin grin shocked
Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by PassingShot(m): 6:37am On Sep 17, 2014
sunnedee: Of course... They will start looking for him... while those that steal multiples of this same amount with pen are walking around free forming baba Alaye... Naija I hail....

Meaning. Ok, they should not look for him; right?

1 Like

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by siino(m): 6:37am On Sep 17, 2014
U mean to tell me dat he got nab after d operation?
Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by slap1(m): 6:38am On Sep 17, 2014
Greed and wickedness. I hope they fry his thieving a$$!

1 Like

Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by sagbar(m): 6:38am On Sep 17, 2014
I wonder how they intends to cash out this large sum cos it most likely all routes to the siphoned cash would have been tracked down by nw...Smart guys though!
Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by Nobody: 6:39am On Sep 17, 2014
With such a large amount stolen, he can disappear for some years if he wishes to,make dem find am sharply o
Re: Cyber-theft Prompts Search For Nigerian Bank IT Worker by Ghost01(m): 6:39am On Sep 17, 2014
Boiz are not smiling.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Computer Usually Wipes Off All My Saved Files Anytime It Goes Off / Check Out The Full Meaning Of These Computer Term Abbreviations / Glo Settings For Modem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.