Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

From Christianity To Deism And Back - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / From Christianity To Deism And Back (4217 Views)

7 Satanic Strategies To Distract Man From Christianity / The Reasons People Convert From Christianity To Islam / Notable Western Converts From Christianity To Islam. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

From Christianity To Deism And Back by UyiIredia(m): 8:34pm On Sep 16, 2014
Old-timers such as toba are witnesses to my sojourn on NL's religion board. I hjave argued very bitterly with atheists and for the most part tolerant of deists and other theist's beliefs. Out of curiosity (and to satisfy myself that I had honestly considered atheism: which I deem highly untenable) I decided to pretend to be an atheist on a NL for a while; this happened at a point where I had become deist because of growing doubts about the many supernatural events in the Bible. But then something happened just after I concluded with my period of atheism (which I spent writing atheist themes poems and essays; some of which were_unfortunately_wiped in the attack on NL). Something that found me rededicating myself. I would like to talk about it; but only if people are interested. Because what happened that day still puzzles me.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 8:37pm On Sep 16, 2014
Are you kidding me??

Of course, we are interested. Tell us, please!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 16, 2014
cheesy
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 16, 2014
undecided

1 Like

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by texanomaly(f): 8:41pm On Sep 16, 2014
I'm interested.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 16, 2014
texanomaly: I'm interested.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by UyiIredia(m): 8:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
Okay. It first started with dreams of my late mum questioning me on my deism. I actually ignored it but they left an impression. In the meantime_As I made clear on Nairaland_ I had not entirely dumped Christianity. I stated very clearly that my deism was a phase while I expressed doubt about Christianity. I was to decide whether or not I would be a Christian upon a reappraisal of the Bible and Christianity (which I wasn't even consistent at; I only read the Bible few times but read some essays on Christian views on issues such as abortion). Then on May 3 a day after the NyNya blast I was browsing on it when suddenly I lost control of my body for a few minutes. I won't say what I heard then since I remember little and that little is personal. It was like something possessed my body and was moving it and I could only observe it. Honestly, and surprising as it is that is all it took to change me. and since I am an avid reader of science articles and papers I knew enough to know that what happened wasn't normal. I have no history of seizures. I am very certain my brain wasn't misfiring since I was fairly calm throughout the ordeal. In fact I took a walk agfter it to digest what happened. Suffice to say that I quietly redidcated myself back to Christianity and went for counsel. In fact that's partly why I've not been frequent on this site for a while now. I want to hear from atheists specifically on this, at least I'll get to know more on how they think, and maybe an explanation may have me resume my earlier skepticism though I doubt it.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by UyiIredia(m): 8:58pm On Sep 16, 2014
musKeeto: undecided
Then sit back and watch.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by UyiIredia(m): 9:01pm On Sep 16, 2014
texanomaly: I'm interested.
Nice meeting you mam.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 16, 2014
I SWEAR, as soon as I read the first sentence, I couldn't help but burst out laughing! grin grin grin grin grin

Too hilarious!

@UyiIredia: Permit me to put your post on FB, my friends are going to have a ball or seizure laughing at your post grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 9:08pm On Sep 16, 2014
UyiIredia: Then sit back and watch.
I read your previous post. Just be careful how much attention you pay to voices in your head. No matter how real they sound.

I became a Christian as a result of a similar experience. Prior to that, I had never experienced such and it made me feel kinda special. I was agnostic for a long time hoping to 'hear' that voice again. Pointless and futile task. You've studied and read too much to be a regular Christian. You need Christianity to make sense, but it never will, Uyi. No matter how clever the apologists you read may sound, the Bible still remains a huge stumbling block to those who describe God as a fair and loving one.

Better be true to your convictions than be a hypocrite. My opinion anyways.

10 Likes

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by malvisguy212: 9:09pm On Sep 16, 2014
as our athiest friends are working hard to convince you. We the christians (your brothers) will pray for you in silent.

1 Like

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by UyiIredia(m): 9:17pm On Sep 16, 2014
musKeeto:
I read your previous lost. Just be careful how much attention you pay to voices in your head. No matter how real they sound.

I am well aware of the need for discernment on that score. My late mum was a nurse so she had some books on psychology.

musKeeto: I became a Christian as a result of a similar experience. Prior to that, I had never experienced such and it made me feel kinda special. I was agnostic for a long time hoping to 'hear' that voice again. Pointless and futile task. You've studied and read too much to be a regular Christian. You need Christianity to make sense, but it never will, Uyi. No matter how clever the apologists you read may sound, the Bible will remains a huge stumbling block to those who describe God as a fair and loving one.

I have already made it clear that based on all I've read the least I can be is a deist, which still puts me at odds with you. But you are very correct, I can never be a regular Christian as I was. I crossed that rubicon years back when I decided to read up on atheism. However, what happened has happened and believe it or not it's not the first strange experience I've faced. Logicboy should know the other one but I think he doubts it. In any case, I will keep your points in mind, they are well- thought out.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by UyiIredia(m): 9:19pm On Sep 16, 2014
BananaBender: I SWEAR, as soon as I read the first sentence, I burst out laughing! grin grin grin grin grin

Too hilarious!

@UyiIredia: Permit me to put your post on FB, my friends are going to have a ball or seizure laughing at your post grin grin grin
You can put it on Facebook but the thing wasn't funny o! To experience some sort of epilepsy even when you aren't the type isn't palatable.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 9:21pm On Sep 16, 2014
musKeeto:
I read your previous lost. Just be careful how much attention you pay to voices in your head. No matter how real they sound.

I became a Christian as a result of a similar experience. Prior to that, I had never experienced such and it made me feel kinda special. I was agnostic for a long time hoping to 'hear' that voice again. Pointless and futile task. You've studied and read too much to be a regular Christian. You need Christianity to make sense, but it never will, Uyi. No matter how clever the apologists you read may sound, the Bible will remains a huge stumbling block to those who describe God as a fair and loving one.

Uyi Iredia. Please do not pay attention to this post.

2 Corinthians 4:4 - The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

1 Like

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 16, 2014
I experienced something I can't explain, therefore there is a God??

Something went wrong in my body, I went to my pastor instead of my doctor...................

...............Did I hear somebody say African Mentality?!!

UyiIredia: You can put it on Facebook but the thing wasn't funny o! To experience some sort of epilepsy even when you aren't the type isn't palatable.

Lol, ok & thanks.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 16, 2014
Uyi, Muskeeto said what I wanted to:Firstly here:
Just be careful how much attention you pay to voices in your head. No matter how real they sound.
And this-- especially this:
You need Christianity to make sense, but it never will, Uyi. No matter how clever the apologists you read may sound, the Bible will remains a huge stumbling block to those who describe God as a fair and loving one.
You can't have your cake and eat it.
You can't mix reason and faith.
If you want to have faith, go ahead, but do not expect it to make rational sense because it won't.

3 Likes

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by UyiIredia(m): 10:06pm On Sep 16, 2014
BananaBender: I experienced something I can't explain, therefore there is a God??

Something went wrong in my body, I went to my pastor instead of my doctor...................

...............Did I hear somebody say African Mentality?!!

Lol, ok & thanks.
if there's a doctor here I would like to hear his take. But even then I have seen skilled doctors testify of things that atheists outrightly deny. Out of body experiences are quite common and have been testified of by doctors operating on brain-dead patients. Yet atheists deny them.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 16, 2014
UyiIredia: if there's a doctor here I would like to hear his take. But even then I have seen skilled doctors testify of things that atheists outrightly deny. Out of body experiences are quite common and have been testified of by doctors operating on brain-dead patients. Yet atheists deny them.
It's not that we "deny" them, it's that we posit (a) rational explanation(s) for such, which theists do not accept.
Also, experiences are subjective and dependent on the religion/culture of the person experiencing it. which makes no objective rational sense at all in corroborating beliefs in the afterlife.

3 Likes

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by onetrack(m): 10:51pm On Sep 16, 2014
There could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for your experience, and as an empiricist I need independent evidence for your claim.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by texanomaly(f): 2:43am On Sep 17, 2014
Iredia, don't listen to these "nay sayerz". You don't owe them any explanations. Proof Smoof! That's all they do all day is cry "prove it!" What you choose to believe or not to believe is your business. They can "park well jor!"

3 Likes

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 4:15am On Sep 17, 2014
BananaBender:

Uyi Iredia. Please do not pay attention to this post.

2 Corinthians 4:4 - The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
grin kiss

1 Like

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Oduduwaboy(m): 6:01am On Sep 17, 2014
Uyi !!! i missed you here!!!
So how is church?
Atheists have no business preaching to anyone to de- convert; choose your path as reason serves you. One thing i know though, is that, you can no more be a true christian because you tend to apply reason to issues a lot while christianity is about total faith which is a total denial of reason. Its still a lose-lose situation for you because according to the bible you will most likely still find yourself in hell-fire! am sorry but that is the truth.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Oduduwaboy(m): 6:29am On Sep 17, 2014
malvisguy212: as our athiest friends are working hard to convince you. We the christians (your brothers) will pray for you in silent.
Yes go on praying! just like people were praying at the Synagogue and...

1 Like

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:32am On Sep 17, 2014
I will like to ask Uyi, why did you choose to return to christianity and not Islam?

3 Likes

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Nobody: 9:43am On Sep 17, 2014
Uyi, what exactly are you doing? Where is the man in you?
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Oduduwaboy(m): 12:54pm On Sep 17, 2014
striktlymi: Uyi, what exactly are you doing? Where is the man in you?

Ahhhhh....please!, dont pressure him into identifying with any label.
Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by Zikdik(m): 1:19pm On Sep 17, 2014
malvisguy212: as our athiest friends are working hard to convince you. We the christians (your brothers) will pray for you in silent.
Silence, not silent. Basic English Grammar.

1 Like

Re: From Christianity To Deism And Back by alexleo(m): 1:31pm On Sep 17, 2014
@Uyi,

Experience remains the best teacher. What you experienced can only be best understood by you so asking atheists to advice you is not necessary. Each of us came into this life on different days, from different angles and we are going back differently. Whatever you choose to believe thats left for you.

What if God used the dream of your mum to speak to you knowing that she is the one that can best communicate with you in a way you will understand?

You cant tell the mysteries behind your birth more than your mum. You dont even know her dialogue with God concerning the kind of child she wants before you were born. You dont know whether she made a covenant with God before you were born. What if God is trying to honour the agreement by sending you the warnings in dreams and events surrounding it? I believe your mum has done her best in putting you on this track, the rest is left for you. God help you my brother.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are Trinitarians Ignorant Of What Moses Said? / Incorruptibility Of Saints (Bodies Defying Decomposition After Death)- Opinions? / The Sins (or Crimes) Of Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.