Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year (2650 Views)

What Books Have You Read In 2015 / Important Ways To Simplify How You Read / How Many Books Have You Read This Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Nobody: 9:52pm On Sep 17, 2014
As we are now into the 'ember' months and the year gradually grinds to an end,lets take a look back at what books we have read this year...this excludes school books we read for our educational pursuits and our basic religious books like the bible and koran.. It can include your novels,inspirational and motivational books,biographies and other books we read for knowledge,fun and new experiences.
I never was a 'book head' until i graduated march this year and realised i needed something to keep my mind and imagination running..
I have read about 14 books already this year and here is my list.
Rules of life-Richard Templar
Make Today Count-John.c.maxwell
Attitude 101-John.c.maxwell
Purple Hibiscus-Chimamanda Adichie
The Lost Symbol-Dan Brown
Deception Point-Dan Brown
Digital Fortress-Dan Brown
Angels and Demons-Dan Brown
Inferno-Dan Brown
Bourne Ultimatum-Robert Ludlum
How to win friends and influence people-Dale Carniege
Your Best Life Now-Joel Osteen
Principles of Success-Brian Tracey
Body Language-Allan Pease.
what about you my fellow nairalanders,what books have you taken out time to read this year 2014...

1 Like

Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by ammyluv2002(f): 9:57pm On Sep 17, 2014
Here's mine grin

Breaking the Jewish code - Perry Stone
Purging the family tree - Perry Stone
The code of the Holy Spirit - Perry Stone
The secrets beyond the grave - Perry Stone

Next on line:
Angels on assignment

I love Perry Stone. ..I follow him everywhere grin
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Infomizer(m): 10:41pm On Sep 17, 2014
White Teeth by Zadie Smith

Discourse on Method and the Meditations by Rene Descartes (Translated by Sutcliffe F. E.)

Inferno by Dan Brown.

A Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan

The Tao of Physics by Frijtof Capra (Not sure of the last name)

Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer

Age of Reason by Thomas Paine

Business at the Speed of Thought by Bill Gates

*Edit*

The Complete Jack the Ripper by Donald Rumbelow.

Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovski

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawkings (how did I forget THIS?)

The following Edgar Allan Poe short stories:

A Descent into the Maelström
The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Pit and the Pendulum
The Purloined Letter
The Tell-Tale Heart

Will still update when I'm back to base...Read more but can't remember titles and some authors ATM.

1 Like

Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by real86(m): 11:23pm On Sep 17, 2014
What does he write.....espionage or thriller?
Have you read James Rollings' Map of bones, Amazon.
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by charleff512(m): 11:23am On Sep 18, 2014
nice thread
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 18, 2014
ammyluv2002: Here's mine grin

Breaking the Jewish code - Perry Stone
Purging the family tree - Perry Stone
The code of the Holy Spirit - Perry Stone
The secrets beyond the grave - Perry Stone

Next on line:
Angels on assignment

I love Perry Stone. ..I follow him everywhere grin
just perry stone.u must really like the guy.what type of stuff does he write about
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 18, 2014
Infomizer: White Teeth by Zadie Smith

Discourse on Method and the Meditations by Rene Descartes (Translated by Sutcliffe F. E.)

Inferno by Dan Brown.

Will update when I'm back to base...Read more but can't remember titles and some authors ATM.
nice...you read very wide.seems you are not streamlined to a single genre of literature...
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Infomizer(m): 3:10pm On Sep 18, 2014
hiroz: nice...you read very wide.seems you are not streamlined to a single genre of literature...

I read anything (I mean, anything).

1 Like

Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by HouseOfBalloons(f): 5:38pm On Sep 18, 2014
Sharp objects by gillian Flynn, a dance with dragons by grrm, the Fault in our stars, looking for Alaska, paper towns asll by john green, will grayson will grayson by john green and David leviathan, divergent, the stand by Stephen king, no god but God, zealot by reza aslan, one more thing by b.j novak, Harry potter and the goblet of fire by rowling, the last testament by God, the book thief by markus zusak, the blade itself, before they are hanged, last argument of kings by Joe abercombrie, best kept secret by Jeffrey archer, sycamore row, a time to kill by john Grisham, Americanah by adichie, pet sematary by The King.
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by HouseOfBalloons(f): 5:56pm On Sep 18, 2014
Infomizer: White Teeth by Zadie Smith

Inferno by Dan Brown.

*Edit*

The Complete Jack the Ripper by Donald Rumbelow.

Worlds in Collision by Immanuel Velikovski

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawkings (how did I forget THIS?)

The following Edgar Allan Poe short stories:

A Descent into the Maelström
The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Pit and the Pendulum
The Purloined Letter
The Tell-Tale Heart

Will still update when I'm back to base...Read more but can't remember titles and some authors ATM.
nice work. I've always wanted to read a brief history of time but haven't yet. I keep postponing it
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Infomizer(m): 6:21pm On Sep 18, 2014
HouseOfBalloons: nice work. I've always wanted to read a brief history of time but haven't yet. I keep postponing it

I have the audio book sef.
Was worth it o!
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Nobody: 7:32pm On Sep 18, 2014
HouseOfBalloons: Sharp objects by gillian Flynn, a dance with dragons by grrm, the Fault in our stars, looking for Alaska, paper towns asll by john green, will grayson will grayson by john green and David leviathan, divergent, the stand by Stephen king, no god but God, zealot by reza aslan, one more thing by b.j novak, Harry potter and the goblet of fire by rowling, the last testament by God, the book thief by markus zusak, the blade itself, before they are hanged, last argument of kings by Joe abercombrie, best kept secret by Jeffrey archer, sycamore row, a time to kill by john Grisham, Americanah by adichie, pet sematary by The King.
are these all novels and are u into romance/thriller genre?..nice to see people that still read books..harry porter series and chimamanda novels are on my list for next year...cant decide between john grisham and robert ludlum...tried to get some arthur conan doyle novels too(sherlock holmes series)couldnt find any..
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 18, 2014
Infomizer:
i want to read books on pyshcology and philosophy.do you have an idea of an interesting one i can start with.

1 Like

Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by kunzyomi(m): 12:09am On Sep 19, 2014
Me? I don't read much..books I've read this year are

all Harry Potter books 1--7
James Potter 1--3
Percy Jackson 1--5
heroes of Olympus 1-4(waiting for book 5 next month)
all Sidney Sheldon books I could lay hands on.

I'll try to read more before December
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by HouseOfBalloons(f): 7:39am On Sep 19, 2014
hiroz: are these all novels and are u into romance/thriller genre?..nice to see people that still read books..harry porter series and chimamanda novels are on my list for next year...cant decide between john grisham and robert ludlum...tried to get some arthur conan doyle novels too(sherlock holmes series)couldnt find any..
they're mostly novels. Not really into romance. Mostly into humor, young adult, fantasy,horror or science fiction but I'll read anything.
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by real86(m): 8:10am On Sep 19, 2014
Try to read Robert Ludlum's Bourne Series and Sidney Sheldon's Rage of Angels and Doomsday Conspiracy then Jeffery Archer's Kane and Abel,Honor Among Thieves, Fourth Estate and Shall we tell the president. These are 100% page turners that you would never regret reading.
HouseOfBalloons: they're mostly novels. Not really into romance. Mostly into humor, young adult, fantasy,horror or science fiction but I'll read anything.

1 Like

Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by real86(m): 8:17am On Sep 19, 2014
hiroz: i want to read books on pyshcology and philosophy.do you have an idea of an interesting one i can start with.
Morning, Evening and noon by Sidney Sheldon.
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Nobody: 8:24am On Sep 19, 2014
kunzyomi: Me? I don't read much..books I've read this year are

all Harry Potter books 1--7
James Potter 1--3
Percy Jackson 1--5
heroes of Olympus 1-4(waiting for book 5 next month)
all Sidney Sheldon books I could lay hands on.

I'll try to read more before December
bro see the plenty books and you still say you dont read much
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 19, 2014
HouseOfBalloons: they're mostly novels. Not really into romance. Mostly into humor, young adult, fantasy,horror or science fiction but I'll read anything.
nice.same here...i have never read a purely romance novel,just cant they dnt stimulate my mind at all..but this your name ennn so unique and different.house of ballons...lol
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Infomizer(m): 11:03am On Sep 19, 2014
hiroz: are these all novels and are u into romance/thriller genre?..nice to see people that still read books..harry porter series and chimamanda novels are on my list for next year...cant decide between john grisham and robert ludlum...tried to get some arthur conan doyle novels too(sherlock holmes series)couldnt find any..

I'd do John Grisham over Ludlum. I think the Bourne series were the best that Ludlum had to offer. Not read all Ludlum's books tho but after reading The Ostermann Weekend, I kinda just gave up on the high expectations I had. Grisham's Bleachers too was nothing compared to his reputation, but in my books, Grisham Thriller over Ludlum's action.

#DropsMic

1 Like

Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Infomizer(m): 11:11am On Sep 19, 2014
hiroz: i want to read books on pyshcology and philosophy.do you have an idea of an interesting one i can start with.

Anything by William James would do. Then there's this fella whose book made sense to me, Christian Godefroy (Mind Power). Twas more of a self help book, but there were some psychology-related themes.
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Nobody: 11:52am On Sep 19, 2014
Moral landscape-Sam Harris
The End of Faith- Sam Harris
God Delusion-Richard Dawkins
Think and Grow Rich-Napoleon Hill
Emotional Intelligence- Daniel Goleman

1 Like

Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Nobody: 1:20pm On Sep 20, 2014
Infomizer:

I'd do John Grisham over Ludlum....
#DropsMic
lol..drops mic.thanks for the recommendatn,i wil try grisham's work and the other books you talked about
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by TheInQuireR(m): 10:03pm On Oct 01, 2014
im not even sure i can count them all okay here are a couple i stil remember.
1. The mortal instruments 1-7
2. The inheritance cycle 1-3
3. Spellbound 1&2
4. Vampire Academy 1-5
5. James potter series 1-4 stil waiting for the fifth
6. Heroes of olympus 1-4 waiting 7 more days for the final book *BLood Of Olympus* to end the
percy jackson series
7. The kane chronicles
8. Burn for Burn 1-3
9.the R, Fand S series by karen kingsbury 10. Divergent 1-3 and finally am stil readin the Lorien legacies

1 Like

Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Nobody: 4:00am On Oct 02, 2014
Theory and Reality: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Science - Peter Godfrey-Smith
The Enigma - Alan Turing
Consciousness Explained - Daniel C. Dennett
On Certainty - Ludwig Wittgeinstein

2 Likes

Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 02, 2014
Yields:
Theory and Reality: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Science - Peter Godfrey-Smith
The Enigma - Alan Turing
nice.but where do u purchase your books i doubt i can get these where i stay...are you into e-books or you love your books hard ;print....
Went through you posts,you give very intelligent responses.i was like wow...

1 Like

Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Nobody: 11:22am On Oct 02, 2014
hiroz: TheInQuireR,Yields,Infomizer,Peterken05, real86,HouseOfBalloons,kunzyomi...
how long does it take you guys to read a standard text,say 350-500 pages.for me it could take 8 hours or up to 1 week even a month,depending on my schedule or my møod..are you into e-books or you prefer hardcopies...

1 Like

Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Vivly(f): 11:52am On Oct 02, 2014
Can't remember all I read this year but the ones that made impact:
The last don -Mario puzo
The Godfather - Mario Puzo
Americanah -Chimamanda Adichie
Half of a yellow sun - Chimamanda
Thing around your neck- Chimamanda
Silence of the lambs - Thomas Harris
Not without my daughter -Mahmoody
A song of Ice and Fire. 1- 4
Divergent
The man died -Wole Soyinka.
Reread the Harry potter books 1-7

1 Like

Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Infomizer(m): 9:52pm On Oct 02, 2014
hiroz:
how long does it take you guys to read a standard text,say 350-500 pages.for me it could take 8 hours or up to 1 week even a month,depending on my schedule or my møod..are you into e-books or you prefer hardcopies...

I do both e-books and hard copies. Standard font takes me 2-5 days since I'm mostly on the move.
Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by Infomizer(m): 9:53pm On Oct 02, 2014
Yields:
The Enigma - Alan Turing

You should see me salivating!
Nice!!!

1 Like

Re: What And How Many Books Have You Read(or Still Reading) This Year by SupaJoe(m): 11:50pm On Oct 02, 2014
I'm not too much of a reader, but I read academic books (textbooks, handouts et cetra) well. To say the truth, I've never finished a novel during my primary and secondary school days. I mean even the famous and compolsory: African night entertainment, things fall apart blah blah. Until last month I realised the power of reading wide. They often say, you're the product of what you read....in a bid to make it reality, I have read 3 books under a month. Which are 1. Rich dad poor dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki 2. The secret later of the monk who sold his Ferrari by Robin Sharma and 3. The concrete blonde by Michael Connelly. Planning to start reading ''skipping christmas'' by John Grisham soon.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Survive Medical School / Adeyemi University Of Education, Ondo 2015/2016-POST-UTME FORM,PRE-DEGREE FORM,P / Can You Imagine What These Students Did To Their Former Teacher?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.