Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,807 members, 7,806,251 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" (40159 Views)

Nigerian Military Buried Shiite Members Alive- Amnesty International. / Unpaid Salaries: Osun Lawmakers Now Sweep Chambers / President Buhari,osinbajo Visited Council Chambers Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Dexpro: 12:03am On Sep 19, 2014
[img]http://1.1.1.2/bmi/www.amnesty.org/sites/impact.amnesty.org/files/imagecache/news-highlight/199223_An_artist_s_drawing_portraying_water_torture_Nigeria.jpg[/img]

Nigeria’s police and military routinely torture women, men, and children – some as young as 12 – using a wide range of methods including beatings, shootings and rape, Amnesty International said in a new report published today.

A boy who was 15 years old when he was arrested and detained in Damaturu, Yobe state, for being a suspected Boko Haram member
This teenage boy arrested for being a suspected militant had melted plastic poured on his back in 2013

“Welcome to hell fire”: Torture and other ill-treatment in Nigeria details how people are often detained in large dragnet operations and tortured as punishment, to extort money or to extract “confessions” as a shortcut to “solve” cases.

“This goes far beyond the appalling torture and killing of suspected Boko Haram members. Across the country, the scope and severity of torture inflicted on Nigeria’s women, men and children by the authorities supposed to protect them is shocking to even the most hardened human rights observer,” said Netsanet Belay, Amnesty International’s Research and Advocacy Director.

“Torture is not even a criminal offence in Nigeria. The country’s parliament must immediately take this long overdue step and pass a law criminalizing torture. There is no excuse for further delay.”

Compiled from hundreds of testimonies and evidence gathered over 10 years, the report exposes the institutionalized use of police torture chambers and routine abuses by the military in a country that prohibits torture in its constitution but has yet to pass legislation outlawing the violation.

The report also reveals how most of those detained are held incommunicado – denied access to the outside world, including lawyers, families and courts.

Torture has become such an integral part of policing in Nigeria that many police stations have an informal “Officer in Charge of Torture” or O/C Torture. They use an alarming array of techniques, including nail or tooth extractions, choking, electric shocks and sexual violence.

In one illustrative incident Abosede, aged 24, told Amnesty International how sickening police abuse left her with a permanent injury:

“A policewoman took me to a small room, told me to remove everything I was wearing. She spread my legs wide and fired tear gas into my vagina… I was asked to confess that I was an armed robber… I was bleeding… up till now I still feel pain in my womb.”

Nigeria’s military is committing similar human rights violations, detaining thousands as they search for Boko Haram members.

Mahmood, a 15 year old boy from Yobe state, was arrested by soldiers with around 50 other people, mainly boys between 13 and 19 years old. He told Amnesty International that the military held him for three weeks, beat him repeatedly with their gun butts, batons and machetes, poured melting plastic on his back, made him walk and roll over broken bottles and forced him to watch other detainees being extra-judicially executed. He was eventually released in April 2013.

Military in Yobe state even arrested and beat a 12 year old boy, poured alcohol on him, forced him to clean vomit with his bare hands and trod on him.

“Soldiers pick up hundreds of people as they search for those associated with Boko Haram, then torture suspects during a ‘screening’ process that resembles a medieval witch hunt,” said Netsanet Belay.

“Torture happens on this scale partly because no one, including in the chain of command, is being held accountable. Nigeria needs a radical change of approach, to suspend all officers against whom there are credible allegations of torture, to thoroughly investigate those allegations and to ensure that suspected torturers are brought to justice.”

In most of the torture allegations against Nigerian state security forces documented by Amnesty International, no proper investigations were carried out and no measures were taken to bring suspected perpetrators to justice.

When internal investigations within the police or the military do take place, the findings are not made public and the recommendations rarely implemented. Of the hundreds of cases researched by Amnesty International, not one victim of torture or other ill-treatment was compensated or received other reparation from the Nigerian government.

The Nigerian government is aware of the problem and has set up at least five Presidential Committees and working groups over the last decade on reforming the criminal justice system and eradicating torture. However, the implementation of these recommendations has been painfully slow.

“Our message to the Nigerian authorities today is clear – criminalize torture, end incommunicado detention and fully investigate allegations of abuse,” Netsanet Belay said.

“That would mark an important first step towards ending this abhorrent practice. It’s high time the Nigerian authorities show they can be taken seriously on this issue.”

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/nigeria-s-torture-chambers-exposed-new-report-2014-09-18

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Exmay(m): 12:19am On Sep 19, 2014
Picture of the Chamber or .............(U no the rest). And by the way can u summarize the Long Essay

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Tombilly(m): 12:43am On Sep 19, 2014
z d back of dat dude d chambers OP?

8 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by fr3do(m): 3:46am On Sep 19, 2014
This is part of the scheme to dampen the efforts of the Authorities in battling boko haram.
Recolonization is just shacking some people.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Nobody: 6:26am On Sep 19, 2014
Nigeria police activities can't be adequately described by AI ...it's worse than any sane mind can comprehend!

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Nobody: 6:37am On Sep 19, 2014
Why is it that most of these BHM boiz are very dark skinned?they are just to dark for an average Nigerian...I don't think they are Nigerians...

6 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Exjoker(m): 7:06am On Sep 19, 2014
Rubbish!!!...Ask de immates at guantanamo bay detention camp how life is like there...this oyibos shul stop fokin at us in de name of HRW...look at countries like china, russia, southi arabia, iran, sudan, india etc wit human rite violiation buh why isnt HRW complainin bout them?

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Nobody: 7:30am On Sep 19, 2014
Exjoker: Rubbish!!!...Ask de immates at guantanamo bay detention camp how life is like there...this oyibos shul stop fokin at us in de name of HRW...look at countries like china, russia, southi arabia, iran, sudan, india etc wit human rite violiation buh why isnt HRW complainin bout them?

Wen police catch u one day and torture you for wetin you no do, then you go understand wetin dis people dey talk about. By the time dem don use hammer remove your teeth and use hot iron to disfigure ur back, you go begin dey confess tings wey you no do.

191 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Nobody: 7:33am On Sep 19, 2014
assfreak:

Wen police catch u one day and torture you for wetin you no do, then you go understand wetin dis people dey talk about. By the time dem don use hammer remove your teeth and use hot iron to disfigure ur back, you go begin dey confess tings wey you no do.

Gbam worded!

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Exjoker(m): 7:48am On Sep 19, 2014
assfreak:

In this our tryin time we re goin information from suspects.. no be dem go come out the complain say crime high for this country if we no the collect information from suspects??

1 Like

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Dexpro: 7:55am On Sep 19, 2014
fr3do: This is part of the scheme to dampen the efforts of the Authorities in battling boko haram.
Recolonization is just shacking some people.

Not at all bro........

The truth need to be told.

17 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 19, 2014
Exjoker: In this our tryin time we re goin information from suspects.. no be dem go come out the complain say crime high for this country if we no the collect information from suspects??

Suspect no be criminal until dem prove am yet dem torture am. All d innocent ones wey dem torture, dem compensate dem?

19 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Nobody: 8:07am On Sep 19, 2014
I observed that Amnesty Int'l and others only come up with tales of human right violation whenever Nigeria Army is scoring high against Boko Terrorists. Is this a form of blackmail or what?

47 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by sunboy(m): 8:21am On Sep 19, 2014
Now I can see the USA is determined to destroy this country. Just yesterday the military was complaining about the USA blocking their ways that we were blacklisted to buy arms because of human rights violations, I didn't really believed it because we can always buy from Russia, Iran, China and even India who won't wait a second to sell. Now I'm reading about human right publishing this shi.t now I believed whatever the military excuse of laundering such cash. This mu.mu human right people no see Israel on Palestine soil committing anything, the USA Guatemala bay ? The Russian KGB method which was considered the toughest? The Indians torture was sef especially their police. What the mess does the USA stands to gain from a divided or destroyed Nigeria ?
I also strongly believe that I.diot Australian old man is a plant by the western world who's volunteering to talk sh.it he wasn't paid to do. All these doesn't just add up ?
Bottom line: either USA like it or not, petrodollar is going for good, then they can start surviving on their technology and become their dream world largest oil exporter. I'm beginning to dislike that country this days and their puppets media must especially BBC who never publish any good news from the military but look for lope holes. Like the same USA would have brought peace to Liberia suppose Nigeria army didn't single handedly did.
I'm vex.ed

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Dexpro: 8:21am On Sep 19, 2014
Exjoker: Rubbish!!!...Ask de immates at guantanamo bay detention camp how life is like there...this oyibos shul stop fokin at us in de name of HRW...look at countries like china, russia, southi arabia, iran, sudan, india etc wit human rite violiation buh why isnt HRW complainin bout them?

Since no personal person of yours has been arrested and tortured, i don't blame you for the comment you made. Do you understand the trauma, shock, pain and devastation an innocent person undergoes when he/she is being tortured?

11 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Dexpro: 8:24am On Sep 19, 2014
sunboy: Now I can see the USA is determined to destroy this country. Just yesterday the military was complaining about the USA blocking their ways that we were blacklisted to buy arms because of human rights violations, I didn't really believed it because we can always buy from Russia, Iran, China and even India who won't wait a second to sell. Now I'm reading about human right publishing this shi.t now I believed whatever the military excuse of laundering such cash. This mu.mu human right people no see Israel on Palestine soil committing anything, the USA Guatemala bay ? The Russian KGB method which was considered the toughest? The Indians torture was sef especially their police. What the mess does the USA stands to gain from a divided or destroyed Nigeria ?
I also strongly believe that I.diot Australian old man is a plant by the western world who's volunteering to talk sh.it he wasn't paid to do. All these doesn't just add up ?
Bottom line: either USA like it or not, petrodollar is going for good, then they can start surviving on their technology and become their dream world largest oil exporter. I'm beginning to dislike that country this days and their puppets media must especially BBC who never publish any good news from the military but look for lope holes. Like the same USA would have brought peace to Liberia suppose Nigeria army didn't single handedly did.
I'm vex.ed

Abeg take am easy wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by kadas01(m): 8:53am On Sep 19, 2014
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29254500

The above link shows how "biased" these "imperialists are!

Even with the recent gains recorded by our gallant Armed Forces, BBC has refused to report such success on their website!

I don't know what they stand to "gain" when they choose to "blackmail" our country at this "critical hour"!!

The Lord is watching!!

16 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Nobody: 9:03am On Sep 19, 2014
This is a serious situation.

1 Like

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by killuminati(m): 9:22am On Sep 19, 2014
OP babylon a maad enuh.. A mi nuh tek chat fi nuh baggaman..
Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by kadas01(m): 9:24am On Sep 19, 2014
Dexpro:

Since no personal person of yours has been arrested and tortured, i don't blame you for the comment you made. Do you understand the trauma, shock, pain and devastation an innocent person undergoes when he/she is being tortured?
I agree with you to some extent, but it is highly important for people to know their "rights"!

Lastly, it is advisable for anyone NOT to be "caught" in a "crime scene" because no matter how "innocent" the person may be, it might be too late to prove their "innocence"!!

8 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by condralbede(m): 9:31am On Sep 19, 2014
BH sympathizer.... We knw ur kinds.BH days are numbered.learn to live with it.

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by UnknownT: 9:33am On Sep 19, 2014
Nigeria Police: Guilty as charged! That joke about how Nigeria Police went to the bush and after 2hours, brought a badly treated bear yelling that he is the rabbit comes to mind . Jack Bauer is a learner when it comes to torturing to get evidence, at least in the movie, he tortures mostly the bad guys gringrin

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Dexpro: 9:33am On Sep 19, 2014
kadas01: I agree with you to some extent, but it is highly important for people to know their "rights"!

Lastly, it is advisable for anyone NOT to be "caught" in a "crime scene" because no matter how "innocent" the person may be, it might be too late to prove their "innocence"!!

Worded!! cool cool cool

2 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by ginajet(f): 10:20am On Sep 19, 2014
ok
Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by NNMUU(m): 10:21am On Sep 19, 2014

Here are some torture techniques carried out in Guantanamo bay.
this was said by one of d failed 9/11 hijacker

" Water is poured over the detainee. Interrogations start at Midnight, and last 12 hours. When he falls asleep, he is woken up by American pop music and water. Female personnel tries to humiliate and upset him, which is successful. A military dog is used to intimidate him. The soldiers play the American anthem and force him to salute. They stick pictures of 9/11 victims to him. He is forced to bark like a dog and his beard and hair are shaved. He is stripped nude. Fake menstrual blood is smeared at him and he is forced to wear a women's bra"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Dexpro: 10:40am On Sep 19, 2014
NNMUU:

Here are some torture techniques carried out in Guantanamo bay.
this was said by one of d failed 9/11 hijacker

" Water is poured over the detainee. Interrogations start at Midnight, and last 12 hours. When he falls asleep, he is woken up by American pop music and water. Female personnel tries to humiliate and upset him, which is successful. A military dog is used to intimidate him. The soldiers play the American anthem and force him to salute. They stick pictures of 9/11 victims to him. He is forced to bark like a dog and his beard and hair are shaved. He is stripped nude. Fake menstrual blood is smeared at him and he is forced to wear a women's bra"

Is this torture or playlet?

19 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by ahkenaten(m): 10:49am On Sep 19, 2014
sunboy: Now I can see the USA is determined to destroy this country. Just yesterday the military was complaining about the USA blocking their ways that we were blacklisted to buy arms because of human rights violations, I didn't really believed it because we can always buy from Russia, Iran, China and even India who won't wait a second to sell. Now I'm reading about human right publishing this shi.t now I believed whatever the military excuse of laundering such cash. This mu.mu human right people no see Israel on Palestine soil committing anything, the USA Guatemala bay ? The Russian KGB method which was considered the toughest? The Indians torture was sef especially their police. What the mess does the USA stands to gain from a divided or destroyed Nigeria ?
I'm vex.ed

cant we just start creating our own Weapons

we do not need to buy everytime.....we need to create.

4 Likes

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by saintandsinnerz: 10:54am On Sep 19, 2014
In as much as torture is degrading and inhuman, some situations require torture to elicit information from criminals. Though such torture should not be excessive and should be done in accordance to a stipulated method. All these human right groups are always wont to cry to high heavens when such issues occur in the so called developing countries , but they turn a blind eye when the Western world use such crude method. Why haven't they pressurized the U.S to close down the Guantanamo bay where all manner of in human treatment are being meted out to terror suspects? What have they said about water boarding which America and other western countries use? CIA has secret detention centres where all manner of torture and extreme questioning technique are used. I'm not in any way condoning torture but no country is free from it!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by Nobody: 10:55am On Sep 19, 2014
Torture is totally acceptable on a different stage!

You can resort to whatever means you can think of to extract the Intel you need to protect yourself, it's acceptable!

Totally not a big deal!

1 Like

Re: Amnesty International Exposes "Nigeria's Torture Chambers" by adeoladrg(m): 10:55am On Sep 19, 2014
“A policewoman took me to a small room, told me
to remove everything I was wearing. She spread
my legs wide and fired tear gas into my
womanliness… I was asked to confess that I was
an armed robber… I was bleeding… up till now I
still feel pain in my womb.”

lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Feel Sorry For Tinubu, Aregbesola Has Damaged Him – Olaitan / Atiku Abubakar Speaks On EndSARS Protests, Violence And Shootings / Crowd Boos Kwankwaso Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.