Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,824 members, 7,798,790 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa (39583 Views)

Nigerian Govt. Lied, UN Meeting It Failed To Attend Not “Unofficial” - PremiumT / Buhari: Ekweremadu As Saraki’s Deputy Unacceptable / Buhari's Restriction On AIT: Undemocratic, Unpresidential And Unacceptable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by heavenmade(m): 3:32am On Sep 19, 2014
Investigators in South Africa have dismissed Nigerian government’s explanations of the purpose of the $9.3 million cash seized from two Nigerians and an Israeli as “flawed and riddled with discrepancies”.
The suspects told South African authorities that the money was meant for the procurement of arms for Nigerian intelligence agencies.
“… Although various explanations about the money were given to the investigating officer, these explanations were flawed and riddled with discrepancies,” the South African prosecution agency said in a statement sent to this newspaper.
The jet used to ferry the money is owned by Ayo Oritsejafor, who heads the Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN.
Mr. Oritsejafor, a cleric, said he is not aware of the arms deal. He said although he owns the aircraft, it was managed by another company, Eagle Air Company, which in turn, leased the jet to a third party, Green Coast Produce Limited.
The Nigerian government in an unsigned statement, Tuesday, said it has provided South African authorities with documents and receipts to prove that the transaction was “legitimate.”
Nigerian security officials also said that it was normal practice to procure arms with cash.
“The Federal Government has submitted relevant data and documents on the transaction to South Africa and insisted that the transaction was legitimate. It also clarified that the funds were not laundered or smuggled for any covert manoeuvres. No launderer will be audacious to fly into a country in a chartered jet with such a huge cash,” a statement by PRNigeria, an agency that regularly disseminates media statements for the military, police and other security agencies in Nigeria explained.
The statement tallies with what top security officials told PREMIUM TIMES in confidence that the money was legit as the government decided to buy the arms secretly; because the U.S. government had allegedly blocked its efforts to buy arms openly.
However, the government’s explanation does not seem to be gaining traction with South African investigators as the Asset Forfeiture Unit, AFU, of the National Prosecuting Authority of South Africa, NPA, has obtained a court order to freeze the money.
The NPA, in a statement sent to PREMIUM TIMES Wednesday said that the manner which the money was brought into the country breached the country’s laws that deal with the transfer of foreign exchange of such proportion.
“The money was initially detained by the South African Revenue Service (SARS) as it was not disclosed or declared at customs, and was above the prescribed legal limit for the amount of cash that may be brought into the country,” it said in a statement.
Investigators also cast serious doubt on the Nigerian government’s explanation that the money was meant for the procurement of arms and that it has provided documents and receipt to back its legitimacy, raising serious concern that suspects might have been in the process of laundering the money before it was intercepted.
The NPA said its investigation shows that Tier One Services Group, the firm Nigerian government claimed it wanted to procure the arms from, is not authorised to sell or rent military hardware.
“In court papers, the NPA submitted evidence that Tier One is not registered with the National Conventional Arms Control Committee and is thus not authorised to enter into any agreements regarding the sale and/or rental of military equipment,” the statement read.
Tier One has apparently issued an invoice to a Cyprus based company, ESD International Group Ltd, ESD, in respect of the procurement of armaments and helicopters to be delivered to Nigeria. However, South African investigators said the time when the invoice was prepared and the time the money was brought in threw up some serious issues of its true intent.
The money was ferried to South Africa less than a week from the date the invoice was prepared (September 8, 2014).
The involvement of a Cyprus based company also heightens the suspicion that this may be a case of classical money laundering. Cyprus is notorious for its secretive banking system, which attracts shady characters and corrupt politicians looking to dry-clean ill-gotten funds.
The NPA added that the transaction did not follow normal procedure in the procurement of the kind of equipment it was alleged to have been meant for.
https://m.premiumtimesng.com/headlines/168306-seized-9-3-million-nigerian-governments-explanations-flawed-south-africa.html

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by donpata(m): 4:51am On Sep 19, 2014
Pastor Ayo go suffer with nairalanders soon.

EDITED:
well yeah I am FTC. I thought Seun will drop something in my bank acct. But no, I saw nothing.
I thought my worries will disappear. But no, am still owing Mr. Okon his money and that lady still turned down my hand of friendship. Soooo.....
pls, can someone tell me the benefit of rushing to be FTC? Am

Mods, pls if there's non, move my post 2 d last page and close thread: I wanna be LTC.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by monsterg(m): 4:56am On Sep 19, 2014
Nigeria can lie kiss

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by Blackchampion(m): 4:59am On Sep 19, 2014
Abeg i don tire to d hit FP dis morning. Mek i sleep small joor

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by justi4jesu(f): 5:00am On Sep 19, 2014
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by searay(m): 5:00am On Sep 19, 2014
Serious

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by sammieguze(m): 5:00am On Sep 19, 2014
Obviously....

The Nigerian government wanted some cache of weapons in South Africa and so they borrowed Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor's private jet. Probably because the giant of Africa could not find a befitting aircraft amongst her fleets of military planes to transport the intended weapons for them, not even among the 10 private jets in President's fleet. It is Ayo Oritsejafor's jet that was the best.
Meanwhile, Ayo Oritsejafor did not know that the government intended to use his jet to buy weapons. He leased his jet to a 2nd person ( Eagle Air) and the 2nd person leased to the 3rd (Green Coast Produce) and then the 3rd to the 4th (One Mr John Ishyaku) or so (who happens to be an agent of the government wit one person and an Israeli with 9.3 million dollars).
Sorry, I get it, the Israeli told our government that they should rather buy weapons from South-Africa instead of his country, Israel, because it is better for SA to take the money than Israel who supposedly makes better weapons. Wow! wat a nyc man nd very generous of the Israeli. So Israelis buy weapons for us. Military experts from our country did not have to follow to inspect the weapons and the inventory. Beautiful!
Also, the South African government was unaware that the Nigerian government was coming to buy weapons in their country. In their shock, they seized the jet and the money. Well, buying arms is more or less like buying noodles. It is not a serious thing and so any government can walk into another country without informing the host country that they intend buying weapons in their country. So foreign government just walk into another country like that, buy weapons and then off they go. Wondaful!
Una do well! Moreover, tot d man said dey bought him d jet to ease his duty and support his ministry. is he nw using d jet as Kabu Kabu ni? is d money coming frm d Kabu kabu goin bak into d ministry or personal pocket?
Shebi, Any transaction btw two countries are bn done by d Central Banks? Morever, I tot d F.G now insist on Cashless Banking or it is not effective to d Ogas at d top? Moreso, where is such huge money comin frm b4 getting into d suit cases?
Many Questions dat requires unlimited ansas...

it all looks fishy aint it?

49 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by searay(m): 5:01am On Sep 19, 2014
justi4jesu: undecided undecided undecided
justi4jesu: undecided undecided undecided
monsterg: Nigeria can lie kiss
donpata: Pastor Ayo go suffer with nairalanders soon.
monsterg: Nigeria can lie kiss

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by justi4jesu(f): 5:02am On Sep 19, 2014
[quote author=searay][/quote]

Hoe can i help you
Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by bigwig10(m): 5:03am On Sep 19, 2014
Government only cooking lies to cover up some flaws,imagine..... Nigerian government stand not acceptable to the SA

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by segebase(m): 5:03am On Sep 19, 2014
na wa ooo
Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by paul288yahoo(m): 5:03am On Sep 19, 2014
m.mmm.
Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by femmy2010(m): 5:04am On Sep 19, 2014
Only in Nigeria
Only God knows what the cash was truly meant for.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by OuchDaddy(m): 5:04am On Sep 19, 2014
sighs... SA make una release our money!!!

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by ulokomat(m): 5:05am On Sep 19, 2014
Hmmmmmmm n xoo God help ussss Amen
Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by searay(m): 5:07am On Sep 19, 2014
justi4jesu:

Hoe can i help you
seriously
Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by 1stola: 5:07am On Sep 19, 2014
of course!
After all, Jacob is not as Stúpid as Jona.

95 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by ochilikoko(m): 5:07am On Sep 19, 2014
sammieguze: Obviously
how do you mean? It was stated vividly that Nigeria Government have submitted all th necessary documents and receipts to prove the legitimacy of the deal. I wonder y some persons wants to take this issue personal

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by rexfada(m): 5:08am On Sep 19, 2014
That's a gigantic amount of money to launder. Our graduates are roaming the streets looking for job, and poverty is on a geometric increase. May God help this country!!

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by chigozisky01(f): 5:11am On Sep 19, 2014
so SA don get liver to freeze naija moni baa. Hey make una remmember how much mtn dey make ooo.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by justi4jesu(f): 5:11am On Sep 19, 2014
searay: seriously

Like seriously angry angry ain't you supposed to be sleeping.
Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by killuminati(m): 5:12am On Sep 19, 2014
Booked space, back to bed... *singing 'bling-bling' by Cash Money Millionaires*

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by kultimate009: 5:14am On Sep 19, 2014
Story for the gods..... Let me go back to sleep jare....
Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by sammieguze(m): 5:15am On Sep 19, 2014
Lol.... U re so funny

whats personal in my not finding the Nigerian government explanation plausible

It just shows am not convinced.

Now, how is that your headache? Or how does that sound personal?

Btw, even if i take it personal, i don't see anything wrong in that coz it is a personal issue as long as i pay my tax which i do.
ochilikoko: how do you mean? It was stated vividly that Nigeria Government have submitted all th necessary documents and receipts to prove the legitimacy of the deal. I wonder y some persons wants to take this issue personal

52 Likes

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by Nobody: 5:15am On Sep 19, 2014
donpata: Pastor Ayo go suffer with nairalanders soon.
yes. After people would be wondering why Linda is richer than seun. @least,linda doesn't let hate foster in her site. Nairalnaders are filled with bitter,vile sociopaths

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by cole265(m): 5:17am On Sep 19, 2014
All this is becoming too funny and shameful to comprehend. What a fall!...Nigeria see thy self in the hands of rival SA. what a laughing stuck they've made us. N.delta guys will not stop to amaze me.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by obioraval(m): 5:17am On Sep 19, 2014
Na wa oh. Nigeria sef

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by sheguy(m): 5:21am On Sep 19, 2014
South africa should release our money now!! Abi dem get watin dem 1 use take do? See finish.. Mtcheeeeee

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by timilehing(m): 5:22am On Sep 19, 2014
Nigerians, fooling themselves since independent

17 Likes

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by Titilayodeji13(m): 5:26am On Sep 19, 2014
I have never for once trusted all Nigerians JET Pastors.

37 Likes

Re: Nigerian Govt Explanation Unacceptable-south Africa by skyfall: 5:26am On Sep 19, 2014
Of course it isn't acceptable. There's a clear case of cover-up by the Nigerian govt, not for itself but for the friends of Jonathan who are clearly involved in international criminality.

20 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

School Kids Referred To Buhari. As President Buhari / Zahra Buhari's Husband Surprises Her With Birthday Cake At Their Wedding / Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.