Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,943 members, 7,806,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:54 PM

Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC (25688 Views)

Secession. Catalonia To Vote On Referendum From Spain. / Scotland Yard Detectives Identified In Uk Bribing Scandal - James Ibori / Osama Bin Laden's Death Does Not Swing American Voters To President Barack Obama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 19, 2014
the UK should remain united!

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Johnnoo(m): 9:09am On Sep 19, 2014
This is Scotland
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by jampro123(m): 9:20am On Sep 19, 2014
I love the United Kingdom and I want to say the Scottish people have proven to the whole world how enlightened and well informed they are. In this modern world what we need is understanding each other, working hand in hand to effect a positive growth. Now back to Nigeria, I would suggest that we all work towards achieving a strong and vibrant Nigeria that all of us will be proud of. I have always said it that we stand to be great if we are one united, business oriented and corruption free entity. Let us have a United Nigeria just like United Kingdom. We need to channel more power to the states, this will induce creativity and competition among the states. Lets stop this spoon feeding system where states receive allocations when they are not generating anything. I believe when this is done we will see that this politics of BORN TO RULE will die naturally. Lets stop forcing this strong central government it is not working. GIVE MORE POWER TO THE PEOPLE.

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Thomsbuky(m): 9:21am On Sep 19, 2014
[quote author=melojames]Why do i feel it wasn't free and fair[/quote

What make you think its not fair election? ~England is motherland for democracy. All the voters and voting duly verify register voters counting was done in open hall where all parties representative are presents, done within one day. what else make a fair election? ...so stop right there, The loser already congratulates the winner and Scotland have accepted majority verdict and move on. Please remember every country is not Nigeria (politics of dead)[b][/b], where votes are rigged with frauds. This should be lesson to our Nigerian politicians on how to conduct free and fair election...

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by GuyFawkes: 9:26am On Sep 19, 2014
Nihilist:

I'm not sure you got the gist of that statement.

Yes I got your point of view and quite frankly I wished for a YES vote, but the Scots have always been part and parcel of the British empire as they expanded into new frontiers.

Its a complicated union albeit the Scots have always gotten the shorter end of the stick and as someone said on here its a clear case of stockholm syndrome,the union was never in danger of breaking up until the polls that showed the YES votes were in the lead and then the rest was left for the media to sway opinions and a lot of scare mongering tactics employed by BBC,CNN,New York times and other mainstream media just about put paid to that dream.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by 01emek(m): 9:29am On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Basic problems with a potential Independence vote in Nigeria.

4.What currency will each of the countries use? Assuming say...Biafra splits up from Nigeria for example....would they still use the Naira? (When Biafra was formed in 67...they used the Nigerian Pound until Jack Gowon played a fast one on them in 68 and changed the colour of the Nigerian Pound).Would Abuja let them? And do you know the difficulties in creating a new currency? (That is one of the reasons why Scotland voted no).
Seriously i can't just help it but to quote.

Please get your fact right before misleading the public. BIAFRA HAD THEIR CURRENCY.. On it was written Bank of biafra which was totally deffrent from the currency of this curse nation as at 1967.. I have both samples with me..

And is it by force to stay in Nigeria? To hell with the minorities! They can't tire us down.. Biafra would have been better off, if we where allowed to go in 1967. Google is ur friend.

3 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by zendy: 9:34am On Sep 19, 2014
The main thing that people should learn from the Scottish referendum is not the result it's self but the fact that the Scottish people were allowed to speak for themselves. The people of Nigeria have never been allowed to speak for themselves. The die-hard 'one Nigeria' fanatics don't seem to realise that 'Nigeria' is not something you impose on people, same way Britain did not impose it's self on Scotland. The same Britain that created Nigeria recognises the right of its constituent people to decide if they want to stay or go but Nigerians cannot learn that you don't get a nation by 'force' . Nigeria is not a nation in any sense of the word unless the constituent people decide it is one.The people must be given a 'voice' just like the Scottish people to decide if they want to be part of the union of Nigeria because the truth is that Nigerians were not brought together by 'celestial intervention', we were brought together by deceitful British 'profiteers'. If the constituent people of Nigeria ( the Igbos,Yorubas,Niger-delta and middle-belt)are not given the right to decide if they wish to be part of Nigeria,then we might as well all agree we are no better than our ancestors that were sold of into slavery and the so called Nigeria is no better a 'slave holding jail house'.

7 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 9:34am On Sep 19, 2014
01emek: Seriously i can't just help it but to quote.

Please get your fact right before misleading the public. BIAFRA HAD THEIR CURRENCY.. On it was written Bank of biafra which was totally deffrent from the currency of this curse nation as at 1967.. I have both samples with me..

And is it by force to stay in Nigeria? To hell with the minorities! They can't tire us down.. Biafra would have been better off, if we where allowed to go in 1967. Google is ur friend.

Biafra pound....was introduced.....in 1968....as Wiki Pedia puts it....

The first notes denominated in 5 shillings and £1 were introduced on January 29, 1968.[1] A series of coins was issued in 1969; 3 pence, 6 pence, 1 shilling and 2½ shilling coins were minted, all made of aluminium. In February 1969, a second family of notes was issued consisting of 5 shilling, 10 shilling, £1, £5 and £10 denominations. Despite not being recognised as currency by the rest of the world when they were issued, the banknotes were afterwards sold as curios (typically at 2/6 (=.0125 GBP) for 1 pound notes in London philately/notaphily shops) and are now traded among banknote collectors at well above their original nominal value.

The most common note is the 1968 1 Pound, with the 10 Pound and all coins being rare.

And no minorites....no oil money.....and no open sea ports.

Anyways...ye are entitled to your opinion

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by landinfo: 9:34am On Sep 19, 2014
From facebook:

Thomas De Ruler
Hypocracy...independence is for slaves...scotland is a
part of our body.we are from great britain and GB is
from us.

I knew the Britz had won when 16 & 17 year olds were allowed to vote.....the Scotz have ensured that William Wallace will not rest in peace...it'z a pity
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by redcliff: 9:39am On Sep 19, 2014
Awoofawo:

Mr just shutup! Who are monkey and hypocrisy?

And please stop putting blanket tag on people just cause they choose different opinions cool

rayopt:

where have u kept ur senses sir!?
Must u prove urself tu be seriously stupid?

Nd wat are d mods doin bout this shii

GodMode:

U have a mental problem u don't just know about it.

The truth as they say hurts a lot.. I would not go on and on with the three of you. I have made my point and I am glad you 3 got it. smiley
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by zendy: 9:45am On Sep 19, 2014
I think that the rest of Britain 'frightend' the Scots into not voting for independence. The blitz campaign against independence that happened last week was unprecedented. Before that,the independence vote was winning. Then stories about how the ascots wouldn't use the pound and how many businesses would move out. They used scare mongering to get them to stay. But the good thing is that they were allowed to decide on their own terms. Unlike Nigeria were just talking about Biafra on the streets can get you killed.

3 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 9:45am On Sep 19, 2014
Misleading title, anyway why are the Brits scared na wa oo leave the Scottish enjoy their oil money na by force ? When you were playing the supremacist u did not such could happen , enjoy while it last, the Goodbye uk and good morning Scotland Christian republic
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Kennyfancy(m): 9:46am On Sep 19, 2014
Raiders: Nice one to the people of Scotland. Dividing a country is not the solution to problems. United we stand, divided we fall. I hope those people that want to divide Nigeria for their selfish reasons to learn from the Scotland people.
i percieved u ar frm D north, poor man u ar afraid of division becos whn it happen illitracy wil make u people to look lik d 1880 people, lol

3 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by fernandoc(m): 9:50am On Sep 19, 2014
Raiders: Nice one to the people of Scotland. Dividing a country is not the solution to problems. United we stand, divided we fall. I hope those people that want to divide Nigeria for their selfish reasons to learn from the Scotland people.
listen to yourself and ask yourself if your alright. How can u compare both situations? R u ok?
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by nellyelitz(m): 9:57am On Sep 19, 2014
I suspect David Cameron has influenced the 'NO' group.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 19, 2014
Collynzo17:
Absolute trash!

Your opinion, old chap.

1. The UN is always involved in a referendum, any country that emerges from a referendun not sanctioned by the UN is not internationally recognized i.e somaliland etc

Wasn't involved in this one....or in the czechoslovak split. UN cones in when countries are too corrupt to conduct their elections...like DR Congo.

2&3. The South South region was artificially carved out to address the issue of minorities and from the look of things, they are happy with being seen as one region.

You obviously do not like minority rights at all. (That is why states were created....and a big part of why Biafra fell, because Ojukwu prefered provinces to states....and Jack hit him in that weak spot.)

4. Biafran pound was used by Biafra for 2 years, I am not aware of any difficulty in creating a new currency, maybe you need to educate us on that.

Because Jack smartly changed the colour of the Nigerian pound.....and there are difficulties creating a new currency(which is why the Scots wanted to keep the Pound even with independence).

5. Those who have oil on their land will control what belongs to them

While I find that idea pleasing to me...as Ido come from an oil producing state...our overt dependence on oil makes that impossible to acheive peacefully. See how resource control was kicked out of the National Conferece.

Besides my point stands....Nigeria must learn to do without oil...including oil producing parts for any separation plan to be viable. But you and your hausa best buddies love oil money too much...to the point that in the event of a separation you will all fight for it...and hundreds will die. No thanks...I don't like Nigeria as it is...but the alternatives are far worse.Somalia is in the horn of Africa....not the Slave Coast.

6. Land locked countries exist all over the world and most are doing well. They can always import through the ports of neighbouring countries and pay the required duties.

Paying duties is always problematic (that is why we have organisations like the EU). See Sudan and South Sudan's argument over oil duties.

7. Comparing the disunity in Nigeria with what is obtainable in the UK is quite laughable.

UK and Nigeria are both disunited. But the constituent parts of the UK are not all over dependent on London. Nigeria....we all rely on Abuja...and we have low industrial penetrance....which is why....I advocate we get rid of corruption and our dependence on oil for peaceful split.

Bottomline: People must be allowed to choose what is right for them.

Yah...so long as the strong are not alowed to eat the weak.

Your arrogant and long sermon cannot change that.

I thank you good sir...for assuming that I have the power to change people's minds by the force of my comment.

I will leave you with this....Nigeria needs to grow up from resource dependence to a state where each and every state is industrially developed...and can manage without oil...before we peacefully separate. There can be no peaceful Czechoslovak type split in Nigeria...without Nigeria becoming free from oil dependency.

If it is arrogance to believe that...then I want to be that arrogant.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by 01emek(m): 10:05am On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Biafra pound....was introduced.....in 1968....as Wiki Pedia puts it....

And no minorites....no oil money.....and no open sea ports.

Anyways...ye are entitled to your opinion
and who care about the Gadam oil money?? Abia state have oil, Imo state have oil, Enugu state have coal in large quantity! Amanbra state is industrious and Ebonyin state are rich in farming. Is that not enough??

Do you know that the river niger part of Amanbra state could be dreaged and open to the ocean?? Just give us 20 year as a nation and you would regret been a Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 19, 2014
01emek: and who care about the Gadam oil money?? Abia state have oil, Imo state have oil, Enugu state have coal in large quantity! Amanbra state is industrious and Ebonyin state are rich in farming. Is that not enough??

Do you know that the river niger part of Amanbra state could be dreaged and open to the ocean?? Just give us 20 year as a nation and you would regret been a Nigeria.

It isn't enough.

I challenge you and the South East....and every other part of Nigeria....to take all those natural resources.....and use them as the fuel of industries.

I want to see strong manufacturing, strong investment in innovation, in short....I want you to reach a state where you won't need your oil....where other parts of the country won't need anyone's oil.

Once that happens...then we can split peacefully. Not now...and have an everlasting resource-fuelled fight.(Which would make Somalia look like child's play).

But you Nigerians don't want that......

Good morining.

P.S....The River Niger empties into a delta....which you do not control. ...so pay duties to the South South Government.

NO PEACEFUL SEPARATION WITHOUT SELF-RELIANCE AND FREEDOM FROM SELLING RAW MATERIALS.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Koolking(m): 10:11am On Sep 19, 2014
The Scots just blew their chance of being free from Colonialists. Another Chance will come but with a high price. They should be ready to pay the price.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 19, 2014
Scotland ff big time.

It was once in a life opportunity and they blew it.

Too badt.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 19, 2014
Koolking: The Scots just blew their chance of being free from Colonialists. Another Chance will come but with a high price. They should be ready to pay the price.

Konmight: Scotland ff big time.

It was once in a life opportunity and they blew it.

Too badt.

Not exactly

The Scots already have some form of independence....they have control over education, health and sports....and they have a National Assembly as well as cultural rights.

The main reason why the motion failed was because Scotland 1)would not have been allowed to join the EU...thanks to Spain 2) Many companies threatened to pull out of Scotland if independence went ahead 3) Scotland's oil will run out in a few decades.

Plus...independence would have meant that the Queen still remains the Queen of Scotland. The SNP also wanted to keep the Pound(the UK said no).

Plus....Scotsmen have equal chance of becoming PM of England (Gordon Brown, and even David Cameron are Scots, or of Scottish descent).

Independence is not an easy road. You better have your ducks lined up in a row.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by shadrach77: 10:39am On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Not exactly

The Scots already have some form of independence....they have control over education, health and sports....and they have a National Assembly as well as cultural rights.

The main reason why the motion failed was because Scotland 1)would not have been allowed to join the EU...thanks to Spain 2) Many companies threatened to pull out of Scotland if independence went ahead 3) Scotland's oil will run out in a few decades.

Plus...independence would have meant that the Queen still remains the Queen of Scotland. The SNP also wanted to keep the Pound(the UK said no).

Plus....Scotsmen have equal chance of becoming PM of England (Gordon Brown, and even David Cameron are Scots, or of Scottish descent).

Independence is not an easy road. You better have your ducks lined up in a row.

You are a Arrow for saying David Cameron has Scottish roots. It's a good thing Scottish voted to stay because Scots hate the Conservatives which was why the Conservatives wanted them out and Scotland leaving would have meant England forever being under the shackles of the Conservative party. Labour would have stood less chance of winning in any election smiley smiley smiley
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by OlaoChi: 10:45am On Sep 19, 2014
englishmart: To be independent na by force?

Some selfish people wanting to loot by enforcing independence.

We are not going to leave the UK.
Period!

You speak like a fool. Wat selfish people?? How do they want to loot
Is it not by forced unions like Uk and Nigeria that give the leaders chance to loot

Look at Nigeria for example all politicians don't want our independence because they know they can't loot our money as easily.
Esu lalu would cause confusion for Nigerian looters.
Let Oduduwa and Biafra come alive, Death to Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by thwarrior72: 10:47am On Sep 19, 2014
maxit2: Where those morons seeking Oduduwa Republic and Biafra Whatever!

Ya'll should learn the power of UNITY or DIE you tribal bastarrdss....
Slave that reject freedom undecided

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by OlaoChi: 10:50am On Sep 19, 2014
godwinkessi: That's why I love reasonable countries. Some people just want independence so they can start looting.

Pls tell us the looters in Nigeria and which of them want independence?

Is it nt resources from other regions and lust for power that this miserable Nigerian leaders rig elections and conduct coup for since 1963

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 10:50am On Sep 19, 2014
shadrach77:

You are a Arrow for saying David Cameron has Scottish roots. It's a good thing Scottish voted to stay because Scots hate the Conservatives which was why the Conservatives wanted them out and Scotland leaving would have meant England forever being under the shackles of the Conservative party. Labour would have stood less chance of winning in any election smiley smiley smiley

That's very true....Labour would have lost out with a yes vote....both ways.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Olyboy16(m): 10:52am On Sep 19, 2014
mikeansy:

Let's not cherry pick on the lessons learned

May be we too should have a vote about the future of Nigeria!

That's where the lessons begin for me.

UK and Scotland will emerge stronger from this no vote! Because they have tested the argument at the polls!
Bros, if we vote our ogas at the top will still rig it.
Even if we vote whether johnatan should where black or white dress tomorrow, our ogas at the top will still rig it...for no reason at all. . They just love evil and sometimes do it for fun.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Ogesydney: 10:56am On Sep 19, 2014
Call us our manager will respond to you.

maxit2:

Hi, i am very interested in this wood flooring.
Can you give me an estimate on purchase and installation of 1 square metre ?
Also, can you mix it with ordinary marble tiles for a sitting room fitting ?

Awaiting your response, if favourable i will give you a call.

Perhaps you should open a thread and display more of your work here on Nairaland.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by haconjy(m): 10:59am On Sep 19, 2014
I wish this is done here. But also, the result will surprise Nigeria that Southern Nigeria will also vote to remain. But what can be compare to freedom? Nothing.

This people will surfer when they are independent, Nigeria case is different.

Nigeria turn
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by 01emek(m): 11:00am On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919:

It isn't enough.

I challenge you and the South East....and every other part of Nigeria....to take all those natural resources.....and use them as the fuel of industries.

I want to see strong manufacturing, strong investment in innovation, in short....I want you to reach a state where you won't need your oil....where other parts of the country won't need anyone's oil.

Once that happens...then we can split peacefully. Not now...and have an everlasting resource-fuelled fight.(Which would make Somalia look like child's play).

But you Nigerians don't want that......

Good morining.

P.S....The River Niger empties into a delta....which you do not control. ...so pay duties to the South South Government.

NO PEACEFUL SEPARATION WITHOUT SELF-RELIANCE AND FREEDOM FROM SELLING RAW MATERIALS.
. Don't you get it? We are tired of the gamdam country.. We the south east made Nigeria what it is today! And still we are been margenalizied and killed.. No Igbo man had rule the country since Aguyi Ironsi who only rule for six month which is 44year ago ( roughly calculated) and you you call us majority..

We gave your brother from the south-south our vote! If not for the vote from south east? Would he have won. And hear you are making mouth of oil money

we have been dominanting Nigeria Economy since 1914 and you said we are relieing on oil?..

We made Nigeria what it is today globally, because we are the most traveled (Business wise etc).. But what did we get margenalization, hatered, murdered, discriminated becus they are jealous!

Lastly is Onisha part of Dalta or Amanbra?? We have some part of River Niger in Onisha which is part Amanbra state and it could be dreaged and open to the Ocean.

Good Morning
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by henchamb(m): 11:05am On Sep 19, 2014
[quote author=TAKETWO][/quote]

my dear from your comment i can deduce you didnt follow the process. i prefer you do some researches before you attack.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Greece Wildfire– Thousands Evacuated As Out Of Control Blaze Engulfs Homes(Pix) / No Christmas Ceasefire - Russia Rejects Ukraine Peace Proposal / Melania Trump Goodbye Message Promotes "Love Over Hatred, Peace Over Violence"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.