Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:27 AM

Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC (25692 Views)

Secession. Catalonia To Vote On Referendum From Spain. / Scotland Yard Detectives Identified In Uk Bribing Scandal - James Ibori / Osama Bin Laden's Death Does Not Swing American Voters To President Barack Obama (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by SpencerLewis(m): 11:06am On Sep 19, 2014
englishmart: To be independent na by force?

Some selfish people wanting to loot by enforcing independence.

We are not going to leave the UK.
Period!
We? Who sabi u bloody Naija area boy.

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by macof(m): 11:18am On Sep 19, 2014
Raiders: Nice one to the people of Scotland. Dividing a country is not the solution to problems. United we stand, divided we fall. I hope those people that want to divide Nigeria for their selfish reasons to learn from the Scotland people.

See dem..people without foresight or pride in their ethnicity

Dividing a dysfunctional country is the best, all nations are supposed to be built along ethnic lines.

Say yes to ethnic independence
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 19, 2014
LordMecuzy: Lol am here Where's Akitijackson
I'm here darling....how u?
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by SpencerLewis(m): 11:51am On Sep 19, 2014
chelseabmw: Scotland should relax jor grin, where them dey hurry go?
Did I hear u say hurry de go? U must be joking abi? FYI, Scotland was an independent kingdom with separate monarchy from England until 1603 when Elizabeth 1 of England who refused to marry and provide heir to he throne died. Elizabeth was the last of Tudor dynasty. After her death in January of 1603, her auntie's great grandson James vi of Scotland became James 1 of England (who in 1611 assembled his scholars who translated the bible to king James version, the 1st protestant bible). But Kingdoms were ruled independently with different parliaments (London & Edinburgh) until 1707 Queen Anne (a protestant) who was the last of the Stuart line came up with the act of union of 1707 to prevent her her half brother James (a catholic) from becoming king. By 1707 all the 13 children (protestants by up bringing) of Queen Anne had died. To prevent Catholics becoming becoming Scottish monarchs, the act of settlement of 1701 (under William of Orange or William iii) came into effect. By the term of the act of settlement, the British throne as they were known after sunday May 25th, 1707 will go to the German house of Hanover after Queen Anne's death as long as they remained protestants. so, when Queen Anne decided to die in 1714 at the age of 48yrs, George (James 1 great grandson) who was elector of Hanover inherited the British throne with its large oversea empire as George 1. His Off springs continue to rule till the present Elizabeth ii, but changed their family name during 1st world war to house of Windsor.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by ProBlack03(m): 11:53am On Sep 19, 2014
englishmart: To be independent na by force?

Some selfish people wanting to loot by enforcing independence.

We are not going to leave the UK.
Period!

Why do you care? Scotland Na ur papa land?
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by macof(m): 12:13pm On Sep 19, 2014
touchmeder: U are right. I bliv its the right choice 4,NOW. I still see them walking away in d future when they are more confident n tins are more settled.

It's better now than later. That later Britain won't give them the chance
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by macof(m): 12:16pm On Sep 19, 2014
seunmsg: I hope those calling for the break-up of Nigeria can learn from this scottish referendum. Scotland is far more developed than most of the geo political zones clamouring for independence in Nigeria and still, they voted to remain part of the United Kingdom. If we put our acts together as a country, we are far better off as one big united country. Nigeria must remain a big, united and indivisible union. All we need to make it work is to vote for good leaders based on merit and not tribal/ religious sentiment.

Scotland (UK) and Nigeria aren't comparable you slowpoke.
Scotland has it's autonomy, they have their parliament, laws and resource control which Nigerian politicians refuse to give to the people.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by macof(m): 12:25pm On Sep 19, 2014
GodMode:

It been the 21st century does not mean an ethnic culture should be erased.

Are u taking the illiterate maxit2 seriously? That one who doesn't know his home town
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by macof(m): 12:26pm On Sep 19, 2014
maxit2: Where those morons seeking Oduduwa Republic and Biafra Whatever!

Ya'll should learn the power of UNITY or DIE you tribal bastarrdss....

It's ur father that is a moronn
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Izontubo(m): 12:36pm On Sep 19, 2014
Raiders: Nice one to the people of Scotland. Dividing a country is not the solution to problems. United we stand, divided we fall. I hope those people that want to divide Nigeria for their selfish reasons to learn from the Scotland people.
dividing nigeria is not for selfish reasons...it is to ensure that we stay far away from the northern people who have sworn to rule naija by all means.., angry
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by macof(m): 12:43pm On Sep 19, 2014
maxit2:

Dude it's the 21st century. By now you should be ashamed to mention the word TRIBE..

Check your map. You'd see that every region in the world that still addresses themselves as TRIBESMEN are the most underdeveloped and cursed-like people on earth.........

Just be Nigerian and proud. Furk that Oduduwa or Biafra BullCRrap. It's all bullcrrap.

Tribe tribe tribe. There I mentioned the word

My tribe is Ekiti, and am proud of it and everyone should be proud of his father's house

What have a got with Nigeria? there's nothing binding our various tribes and ethnic groups, absolutely nothing

Let oduduwa, Biafra, Niger delta, middle belt and Arewa come alive

A progressive nation with peace, unity and true patriotism is only one that is drawn on ethnic lines.

My ancestors weren't consulted when Nigeria was to be formed, we Yoruba never agreed to join this miserable country with people we don't want anything to do with

Give us freedom, give us our independence.
Oduduwa must gain independence in my lifetime
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by macof(m): 12:46pm On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Basic problems with a potential Independence vote in Nigeria.

1.Who conducts the vote? INEC? (that has problems with conducting the regular vote? That is not independent?) The UN ? (which opens the door for foreign intervention?)

2.What is a region? Nigerians who talk about separation assume that it is still 1964....when we had four semi-autonomous regions. It isn't, thanks to state creation.....which has changed the dynamics well well....especially with regards to minority rights.

3.Most of the chaps calling for splitting Nigeria are usually from the big tribes. And many of them are so disdainful of minority rights that the idea of independence where majority tribes dominate minority tribes in the new countries......is not acceptable to minorities.(Infact, that is why we have states in the first place....because minorities were tired of being dominated by majorities in the old regions....and that is why we even had the Midwest region created in 63).

4.What currency will each of the countries use? Assuming say...Biafra splits up from Nigeria for example....would they still use the Naira? (When Biafra was formed in 67...they used the Nigerian Pound until Jack Gowon played a fast one on them in 68 and changed the colour of the Nigerian Pound).Would Abuja let them? And do you know the difficulties in creating a new currency? (That is one of the reasons why Scotland voted no).

5.Who controls the oil (That is why it took five years for Sudan to split up....arguments over control of oil....an argument they still have now). If there is a split...there is going to be some argument over compensation for missing oil money.

6.And there are issues over landlocked countries vs countries with access to the sea.

7.At the bolded....Nigeria is not united...so also is the UK. Wales, Northern Ireland , even Cornwall have their own issues...and Ireland split from the UK in 1922.

And I have more confidence in the parts of the UK surviving on their own than Nigeria....because you Nigerians are not interested in harnessing your human and natural resources for innovative development. You are not interested in creating new jobs, new industries etc....which all the parts of the UK do. You Nigerians are only interested in selling raw materials...oil especially...and sharing the money. And the only reason why you grumble about oil money is because you think that the other parts are cheating you of your fair share. You and your Hausa pals.

So, Nigerians...go home, stop arguing over tribe, religion, Sharia, and resource control. Stop waving the flag of Islamist fundamentalism. Stop your message of christian prosperity without hard work....and go home and invest in education, industry , defeating corruption, and justice for all under the law.....and when each and every state in Nigeria is self sustaining and can boast of industries and jobs galore...because that is why they were created...for development....then we can talk all day long about splitting.

Scotland has oil...but it also has diversified industrial setup. You Nigerians want separation or unity because you all want to be like a rich man's trophy wife...spending her husband's money on baubles...and refusing to work ever. Well....better get working. This isn't paradise....it is planet Earth.

You are not Nigerian so get out, this doesn't concern you
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by macof(m): 12:50pm On Sep 19, 2014
Nobleval: Yet they rejected Crimea's referendum? Who is decieving who?

The West want to rule the world, they know Russia having crimea spells trouble for them.
evil people
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by macof(m): 12:51pm On Sep 19, 2014
Nihilist:

The people who voted No are disgraceful. This was a once in a lifetime chance to emerge from the shadow of their colonial masters that has lingered for the last thousand years....

I just hope that the great Yoruba nation gets such a chance in my lifetime. We must leave this ugly faulty contraption called Niggerarea
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by fireforfire: 12:58pm On Sep 19, 2014
strykr: Jdi
angry
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by macof(m): 12:59pm On Sep 19, 2014
jampro123: I love the United Kingdom and I want to say the Scottish people have proven to the whole world how enlightened and well informed they are. In this modern world what we need is understanding each other, working hand in hand to effect a positive growth. Now back to Nigeria, I would suggest that we all work towards achieving a strong and vibrant Nigeria that all of us will be proud of. I have always said it that we stand to be great if we are one united, business oriented and corruption free entity. Let us have a United Nigeria just like United Kingdom. We need to channel more power to the states, this will induce creativity and competition among the states. Lets stop this spoon feeding system where states receive allocations when they are not generating anything. I believe when this is done we will see that this politics of BORN TO RULE will die naturally. Lets stop forcing this strong central government it is not working. GIVE MORE POWER TO THE PEOPLE.

Give us Full power not more power.

Give us our freedom.

I blame Yoruba leaders who are content with their looting from the federal government, and those who want to loot eg. Tinubu

Useless men.

The best future for us the Yoruba is to control our own resources, have our own laws, and foreign policies
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 1:13pm On Sep 19, 2014
macof:

You are not Nigerian so get out, this doesn't concern you

I am a Nigerian dear chap....at least my only passport is Nigerian.

You have no answer to my arguments...so you resort to the language of a child.

I leave you with this...I am not opposed to separation. But for separation to be peaceful....each bit has to bring something to the table so to speak.

And with that, dear little child, I bid thee, in the language of the Franks , au revoir.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by uzoexcel(m): 1:17pm On Sep 19, 2014
this aint naija...some of us were up all night experiencing and watching the proceedings...what nigerians should take out of these is the way the 'losers' in this referendum calmly accepted the defeat and are going abt their lives with mormalcy cos they knw they lost out under a clean cut and fair process
melojames: Why do i feel it wasn't free and fair
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 19, 2014
50calibre:
You're a highly delusional fellow. The United Kingdom is made up of four semi-autonomous countries (with promise of more devolution) while Nigeria is one country with many states.

The UK is a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system of government while Nigeria is a republic with a president. I see no basis for comparisons here, you're comparing bread to stone.

There's nothing united about Nigeria, it is one big smouldering wreck, and it's only right that certain people feel they should be independent.

How about Nigeria grants those seeking independence/separation a chance to have their say in a referendum?

Well said. If you had watched everything that happened in the last few weeks, and how London threw everything at the Scots - including propaganda, discreet threats, more devolution of powers from Westminster (David Cameron would've been asked to resign if the Scots had voted Yes), Alex Salmond found wanting for not properly planning and being uncharismatic etc...the "No" vote was definitely the most likely outcome. Stayed awake till late - and after I saw the first two cities announced went for the "NO" vote - and Aberdeenshire, Alex Salmond's home city, was projected to vote "NO" as well - I knew it was game-over. Heck, even Dundee, one of the bastion of the "YES" campaign also voted NO.

Kudos to the London Scots, especially those in Labour and Lib Dem: Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling, Alistair Carmichael etc. This is a win for them. And a win for all liberals in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland - else the UK would've become Tory land. Hopefully, Gordon Brown will now start getting the respect he deserves down South - after he was almost disgraced out of Number 10.

Anyway, they've got more devolution of powers. And both Wales and Northern Ireland also have a voice now. However, with this, and the further devolution of powers hinging on only English MPs voting on English issues - we're fvcked. The Tories are about to start riding high on everything - scary.

Regardless, I think majority of Scots, including all the Scottish Expats, I saw on BBC yesterday genuinely wanted independence. However, the fear of the unknown, how they were bum rushed into voting now and not 2016, lack of a well planned independence structure by Alex Salmond, and the wave of veiled threats laced with the screams of more devolution - changed their minds. I'm sure a lot of them also thought about leaving their Irish, and Welsh cousins behind in the union. grin Anyway, Scotland will forever be more divided than ever with this.

And I don't see any reason why they're comparing this with Nigeria - there's absolutely no correlation between the two. Scotland is more or less a country on its own, and with the devolution of more powers, from Westminster, it has been made more legit. Also, the Scots are also related to the Irish, and the Welsh - and everywhere above Manchester, North of England - has more in common with those in Scotland, than everywhere South of England. However, with Nigeria, you don't even need anyone to tell you that those in the North and South have nothing in common. And in the South - a lot of groups there are distinct with no relations whatsoever. Yet everything is centralised like the folks are actually the same people, with the least educated and enlightened folks running the show and everything lopsided in their favour.

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Sixtustony(m): 1:50pm On Sep 19, 2014
Is all the wanted
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919:
I am a Nigerian dear chap....at least my only passport is Nigerian.

You have no answer to my arguments...so you resort to the language of a child.

I leave you with this...I am not opposed to separation. [b]But for separation to be peacefu[/b]l....each bit has to bring something to the table so to speak.

And with that, dear little child, I bid thee, in the language of the Franks , au revoir.

With the bold - you must be Yoruba. grin

Scotland was allowed to vote because Holyrood controls Scotland. Rep. of Ireland fought for independence. Ditto IRA in N.I, but they lost. You better be ready to fight if you want either separation or devolution of powers in Nigeria because I don't see the Northerners giving up a structure that's lopsided in their favour for anything else - that's not going to happen in this century.

Anyway, a fight looks likely in Nigeria, in the nearest future - and when it kicks off, get ya guns blazing and use whatever opportunity presents itself, for greater freedom from perpetual underdevelopment. And a medieval system of government that also serves the interests of a few. Failure to fight would leave you in bondage for the next 200 years.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by t2luv1: 2:00pm On Sep 19, 2014
Collynzo17:
Absolute trash!
1. The UN is always involved in a referendum, any country that emerges from a referendun not sanctioned by the UN is not internationally recognized i.e somaliland etc
2&3. The South South region was artificially carved out to address the issue of minorities and from the look of things, they are happy with being seen as one region.
4. Biafran pound was used by Biafra for 2 years, I am not aware of any difficulty in creating a new currency, maybe you need to educate us on that.
5. Those who have oil on their land will control what belongs to them
6. Land locked countries exist all over the world and most are doing well. They can always import through the ports of neighbouring countries and pay the required duties.
7. Comparing the disunity in Nigeria with what is obtainable in the UK is quite laughable.
Bottomline: People must be allowed to choose what is right for them.
Your arrogant and long sermon cannot change that.

What are the states that might be included in creating Biafra. I am just curious to know.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:02pm On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Well, even if Scotland voted yes...the Queen of England would have still been their queen, the English pound would have still been their currency...and most Scots would still be speaking English(very few scots speak Scots Gaelic).

Anyway they lost for these main reasons

1.Economic....a lot of companies threatened to pull out of Scotland in the event of a yes vote...plus the oil in scotland will run out in a few decades.

2.The EU...if Scotland had voted yes...they would have found their road to the EU blocked by Spain (which faces seven separatist movements....the Basques and the Catalans two of them). Spain feared a yes vote could lead to the breakup of spain.

3.Scotland already has powers over much of its activities...so they do not really need independence.(They crucially had cultural independence...you can speak Scots Gaelic freely....sadly less than 5% of the population speak it).

Ethnic independence works...so long as you have your economic , cultural and big picture dominoes lined up perfectly.(And if they are not...it won't happen as Quebec found out when they tried to split from Canada.

Thats true. Scotland should have had its future properly planned before taking such a step.
Indpendence is costly and must be planned. E.g., South Sudan.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 2:12pm On Sep 19, 2014
shymexx:

With the bold - you must be Yoruba. grin

Scotland was allowed to vote because Holyrood controls Scotland. Rep. of Ireland fought for independence. Ditto IRA in N.I, but they lost. You better be ready to fight if you want either separation or devolution of powers in Nigeria because I don't see the Northerners giving up a structure that's lopsided in their favour for anything else - that's not going to happen in this century.

Anyway, a fight looks likely in Nigeria, in the nearest future - and when it kicks off, get ya guns blazing and use whatever opportunity presents itself, for greater freedom from perpetual underdevelopment. And a medieval system of government that also serves the interests of a few. Failure to fight would leave you in bondage for the next 200 years.

Well, Nigeria's problem is that every part of Nigeria relies on oil. That is what is stopping people like me from supporting the split of this contraption called Nigeria...because some people, not just Northerners , are going to go gaga when they find their oil cut off (see the current dance between Sudan and South Sudan over S. Sudan's oil exports....and duties payable).

I think that if we got the good governance bit fixed at all levels, then each and every part might eventually reach a position where they will be able to do without oil if Abuja decides to cut it off...including the North. Then we can talk of peaceful separation. (But that is my opinion).

And anyway...it took the SNP 80 years to get to this level. I wonder if any (put your region's name here) independence/national party would have the patience to fight slowly....especially as separation is not in the Constitution.

If Nigeria is to separate....we have to for now focus on resource control, sorting out the Sharia issue, and so on....until we reach the point of independence for whichever part(Though defining the constituent parts is another long discussion).
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Koolking(m): 2:22pm On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919:
Not exactly

The Scots already have some form of independence....they have control over education, health and sports....and they have a National Assembly as well as cultural rights.

The main reason why the motion failed was because Scotland 1)would not have been allowed to join the EU...thanks to Spain 2) Many companies threatened to pull out of Scotland if independence went ahead 3) Scotland's oil will run out in a few decades.

Plus...independence would have meant that the Queen still remains the Queen of Scotland. The SNP also wanted to keep the Pound(the UK said no).

Plus....Scotsmen have equal chance of becoming PM of England (Gordon Brown, and even David Cameron are Scots, or of Scottish descent).

Independence is not an easy road. You better have your ducks lined up in a row.

"Independence is not an easy road"...agreed. But in the long run, it's worth the effort. If countries like Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan can stand as sovereign countries, why wouldn't Scotland? There is more to the 'No' we are not leaving than meet the eyes. Great Britain is afraid of backlash of secession. Their power at the UN Security council would have diminished if Scotland had seceded. Of course, Scottish secession would have been the biggest embarrassment of David Cameron. The referendum was well managed.

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 19, 2014
bushdoc9919:
Well, Nigeria's problem is that every part of Nigeria relies on oil. That is what is stopping people like me from supporting the split of this contraption called Nigeria...because some people, not just Northerners , are going to go gaga when they find their oil cut off (see the current dance between Sudan and South Sudan over S. Sudan's oil exports....and duties payable).

I think that if we got the good governance bit fixed at all levels, then each and every part might eventually reach a position where they will be able to do without oil if Abuja decides to cut it off...including the North. Then we can talk of peaceful separation. (But that is my opinion).

And anyway...it took the SNP 80 years to get to this level. I wonder if any (put your region's name here) independence/national party would have the patience to fight slowly....especially as separation is not in the Constitution.

If Nigeria is to separate....we have to for now focus on resource control, sorting out the Sharia issue, and so on....until we reach the point of independence for whichever part(Though defining the constituent parts is another long discussion).

I think the problem with Sudan and South Sudan is that: it was divided along religion lines, and not based on how it should've been divided. And once you factor in the fact that, where the oil wealth is, is actually landlocked - and it needs Sudan proper to sell its oil wealth - then you'll see why it's a unique and isolated case that should be treated as such.

Also, I don't think it took the Scots 80 years. The Scots actually loved the union - and during the imperial Great Britain era, that ruled the world - the Scots arguably benefited from it the most. Heck, the Scots were the most imperialistic in the UK. And I think Glasgow used to be the most industralised city in the world at one point (I might be wrong about this). However, all the changed after Thatcher - and how she divided the country. So, it should be from the Thatcher era, when industries up-North were closed - in favour of the South. And I guess that's why the sentiment to remain part of the union is still very strong in Scotland - especially with the promise of devolution of more powers from Westminster. If the Tories hadn't played that card at the last minute - it would've been a different outcome.

Anyway, I don't think resource control is feasible in Nigeria's nearest future, since almost all the states depend on oil revenue. And the Sharia issue isn't going anyway anytime soon. So, that leaves just one choice: the choice to ask for it by force. Not campaigning for war - but that's the only way out of the quagmire. And I think that's what most western analysts also believe. Hence the country is being monitored and watched closely by everyone.

3 Likes

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by manck2: 2:32pm On Sep 19, 2014
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 19, 2014
Koolking:

"Independence is not an easy road"...agreed. But in the long run, it's worth the effort. If countries like Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan can stand as sovereign countries, why wouldn't Scotland? There is more to the 'No' we are not leaving than meet the eyes. Great Britain is afraid of backlash of secession. Their power at the UN Security council would have diminished if Scotland had seceded. Of course, Scottish secession would have been the biggest embarrassment of David Cameron. The referendum was well managed.

Well, the stans were already semi-autonomous in the good old Soviet union....and they broke away because thanks to oil price drops, Mother Russia could no longer afford to feed the little bear cubs wink

As for Scotland...there were the economic considerations....many companies were threatening to pull out, the oil that it relies on may run out in a few decades, and crucially, Scotland may lose funding for things like its healthcare if it went alone.

Second, there was the big picture. Scotland wanted to join the EU....and Spain (facing at least seven separatist movements) was poised to say no. Not being in the EU means that if Scotland wanted to sell or import things from the EU it may have to do so at higher prices...because not being in the embrace of Brussels means that all those free borders things do not apply at all. So, long story short...exporting and importing goods into Scotland would be expensive.

Third, those chaps at Whitehall would not let Edinburgh keep the GB Pound. And no pound means new currency...with all the risks entailed. And since Scotland does not have much to export (apart from oil)...the value of any new Scottish currency would fall at the first flotation. Leading to the Scots economy going south.

(Applying this to dear old Naija....that's why Biafra cannot secede from Nigeria...because it means that prices of foods go up...especially as most of the food eaten in the SE comes from the Nawth. And that is why the Nawth , the Middle Belt or the Southwest cannot split from Nigeria because they rely on oil too much...and on some food products like palm oil from the South[and yes...this is a rough idea before anyone jumps on me]).

Self determination is good...a great idea....but you have to make sure everything else lines up. Many old soviet republics(the ones that have no oil) are not doing welll...which is why some of them are seeking economic union with Moscow or Brussels (which is what the war in Ukraine is all about....).

1 Like

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by musiwa95: 2:42pm On Sep 19, 2014
grin sad cool

www.nairaland.com/attachments/460096_segun12_jpg4bfb4dc2f15478f82dd29518c3681c9d
[b][size=18pt]His Royal Highness

D Ade. Ade. Ade. Ade AdeMusiwa

House of Oduduwa
Emperor of Independent country of the Kingdom of Western Nigeria ( by International law)

the area Nigeria is already divided into 2 countries... by international law. Occupation is illegal

Western Nigeria with an Emperor , His Royal Highness Emperor D Ade. Ade. Ade. ADe. AdeMusiwa
And Nigeria.--- Goodluck Jonathan

the reason is, Independent Western Nigeria never join Nigeria. there was no decision of the people of Western nigeria to join Nigeria.

Look fashola or mimiko or aregbesola etc are considered as Illegal government, so all Oba:s which they have appointed or was appoint before them are also considered as illegal Obas under international law. You can see why Alafin of oyo etc are not recognized because they were appointed by illegal government.

Which leave the position of emperor which is still legal , which is reserve for my family. And make my family, the only emperor because an oba appointed by mimiko or fashola is illegal under international law, just like fashola or mimiko is considered as illegal. Do you now get it.

Why do I want Independent Western Nigeria to remain an Independent country different from Nigeria. Because it gives the people of Independent Western Nigeria to keep their taxes.. and develop.

Yorubas will say, Obirin to ni oyu, ko ke gbe idire to re.

[/size][/b]

[img]http://globalville.files./2014/02/goodluck-jonathan-presidet-of-nigeria.jpg?w=300&h=182[/img]

You can look at the passport , is call Ecowas passport.. The same way... more than one country can use one passport. 17 countries are using the Ecowas Passport. Including Independent Western Nigeria. That why we need to make Ecowas, write our passport different.

There are 17 independent countries in West Africa, not 16 countries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeoHA_IyLgs&list=UUb87BDP4HGsiqBllDwiejIQ

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1577006_map_nigeria89_pngd88e91157e0443d88dbc95fa9ca466f2

[img]http://www.tarborotimes.com/wp-content/themes/responz/themify/img.php?src=/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/euro-bills-pictures-euro-pictures-1024x664.jpg&w=474&h=194[/img]

Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by ezeagu(m): 2:51pm On Sep 19, 2014
seunmsg:

If scotland was an absolutely independent country, their won't be any need to conduct the referendum. And please, make no mistake about it, the scots wanted to be free from the united kingdom but majority of them knew that the pragmatic decision to make was to vote NO based on current economic situation. I have no problem with a similar referendum being conducted in Nigeria to satisfy those clamouring for break up but personally, I think the call for Nigeria's break up is more emotional than rational. Despite all the imperfections of Nigeria, I belief we are still better off as one country. My opinion though.

Yeah, but I didn't say it was an absolutely independent country.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by ezeagu(m): 2:52pm On Sep 19, 2014
Eldavido1:

In one breath you said Scotland is independent in another you said it its not. Is Scotland an independent country?

Where did I say that? Scotland is a recognised informer country to an extent. The referendum is evident of that.
Re: Scotland Scottish Referendum: Voters To Reject Independence - BBC by 50calibre(m): 4:03pm On Sep 19, 2014
shymexx:

Well said. If you had watched everything that happened in the last few weeks, and how London threw everything at the Scots - including propaganda, discreet threats, more devolution of powers from Westminster (David Cameron would've been asked to resign if the Scots had voted Yes), Alex Salmond found wanting for not properly planning and being uncharismatic etc...the "No" vote was definitely the most likely outcome. Stayed awake till late - and after I saw the first two cities announced went for the "NO" vote - and Aberdeenshire, Alex Salmond's home city, was projected to vote "NO" as well - I knew it was game-over. Heck, even Dundee, one of the bastion of the "YES" campaign also voted NO.

Kudos to the London Scots, especially those in Labour and Lib Dem: Gordon Brown, Alistair Darling, Alistair Carmichael etc. This is a win for them. And a win for all liberals in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland - else the UK would've become Tory land. Hopefully, Gordon Brown will now start getting the respect he deserves down South - after he was almost disgraced out of Number 10.

Anyway, they've got more devolution of powers. And both Wales and Northern Ireland also have a voice now. However, with this, and the further devolution of powers hinging on only English MPs voting on English issues - we're fvcked. The Tories are about to start riding high on everything - scary.

Regardless, I think majority of Scots, including all the Scottish Expats, I saw on BBC yesterday genuinely wanted independence. However, the fear of the unknown, how they were bum rushed into voting now and not 2016, lack of a well planned independence structure by Alex Salmond, and the wave of veiled threats laced with the screams of more devolution - changed their minds. I'm sure a lot of them also thought about leaving their Irish, and Welsh cousins behind in the union. grin Anyway, Scotland will forever be more divided than ever with this.

And I don't see any reason why they're comparing this with Nigeria - there's absolutely no correlation between the two. Scotland is more or less a country on its own, and with the devolution of more powers, from Westminster, it has been made more legit. Also, the Scots are also related to the Irish, and the Welsh - and everywhere above Manchester, North of England - has more in common with those in Scotland, than everywhere South of England. However, with Nigeria, you don't even need anyone to tell you that those in the North and South have nothing in common. And in the South - a lot of groups there are distinct with no relations whatsoever. Yet everything is centralised like the folks are actually the same people, with the least educated and enlightened folks running the show and everything lopsided in their favour.

Haha I was never in doubt as to what the outcome of the referendum would be, i knew a No vote was going to prevail & in fact, I was surprised the results were close, the Yes campaign performed better than I expected.

The Scots are very proud patriotic people, but when it comes to decisions like these, rationality comes first. There's a saying; the devil you know is better than the angel you don't and the truth is, people don't like uncertainty, the fear of the unknown was enough scare people off independence.

Kudos to Cameron & his cronies, they went to extreme lengths with their frantic last minute campaign, even as far as lobbying business leaders to speak against independence. Damn!!! Cameron especially is going to enjoy a good night rest today, this was a bruising campaign against Alex Sammond one man squad, everyone got involved, even the queen.

I'm happy Scotland stayed, & I think this process was a good thing for the UK, it will call for some serious re-think in Westmister & also pave way for new reforms like the ones announced this morning.

London Scots did a brilliant job, especially Gordon brown whom I think saved the day. Alistair darling lost his mojo after that second TV debate & the Yes campaign started stalling till Gordon brown came along.

In my opinion, Labour are the big winners here, this result will favour them a lot come 2015, & I pray so. I can't wait to see the Tories kicked out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

No Christmas Ceasefire - Russia Rejects Ukraine Peace Proposal / Melania Trump Goodbye Message Promotes "Love Over Hatred, Peace Over Violence" / 100 Killed, 300 Injured In Two Car Bombs In Somalia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.