Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,702 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:20 PM

PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. (23537 Views)

Policeman Tries To Stop A Moving Tanker By Climbing In Through The Window / South African Government To Pay All Virgins R200 Every Month In Bid To Fight HIV / Heartbroken Teenager Jumps From Third-floor Window In Suicide Bid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by etunoman76(m): 6:58am On Sep 19, 2014
A United States Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit sitting in Illinois has declared a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP’s) chieftain, Buruji Kashamu, a fugitive wanted in America for trial over allegations of importing drug to the country.

Delivering judgment in an application by Kashamu for a writ of mandamus, Justice Charles R. Norgle refused to quash an indictment issued against the PDP chieftain.

The court held that the indictment against him had no expiration date.

The court held: “Should he ever come to the United States, whether voluntarily or involuntarily, he could be put on trial in the Federal District Court in Chicago, since the indictment has no expiration date.

“An original indictment remains pending until it is dismissed or until double jeopardy or due process would forbid prosecution under it.”

Kashamu, a dual citizen of Nigeria and Benin, was charged in an indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Chicago, along with 13 other persons, with conspiracy to import heroin into the United States and distribute it, in violation of 21 U.S.C. § 963.

The U.S. government believes that Kashamu was the leader of the conspirators.

He was indicted both in his own name and under what the government believed to be two aliases that he used: “Alaji” and “Kasmal”.

Based on the refusal of a magistrate in the United Kingdom to grant a request by the U.S. to extradite him, Kashamu filed an application in the U.S. seeking to nullify his indictment.

The UK magistrate had refused to grant the application to extradite Kashamu on the ground that the U.S. did not conclusively prove that he was the same Alaji wanted in the U.S. for trial.

The court noted that 11 other defendants indicted alongside Kashamu pleaded guilty, one proceeded to trial and was convicted, and another could not be found and remained a fugitive.

The court noted that despite knowing that he was wanted in the U.S., “Kashamu remains in Nigeria, living openly, a prominent businessman and a politician belonging to the ruling party”.

The court wondered that “although the United States had an extradition treaty with Nigeria, our government has made no effort to extradite him”.

While asking him to buy a flight ticket to U.S. to come and stand trial, the court said: “There was a good deal of evidence against him. We noted in our previous opinion that among other bits of evidence, Kashamu’s co-defendants who had pleaded guilty had admitted their participation in the charged conspiracy and identified ‘Alaji’as the leader of the conspiracy.

“Two of them identified Kashamu as Alaji in a photographic lineup, and in the extradition proceeding the government submitted their affidavits to that effect.”

In opposing the petition for mandamus the Justice Department had told the court that “the prospects for extradition (from Nigeria) have recently improved and, as a result, the government is optimistic about extraditing Kashamu”.

The court held that Kashamu’s motion to dismiss the indictment against him was premature, “as he may soon find himself in the district court in Chicago, able to present a fuller case that his right to a speedy trial is being violated”.

The court, however, noted that it might be difficult to extradite him because he was a very influential person in Nigeria.

“Given Kashamu’s prominence in Nigerian business and government circles, and the English magistrate’s findings and conclusion, the probability of extradition may actually be low”, the court held.

Kashamu had argued the threat to extradite him had prevented him from travelling outside Nigeria lest the United States seek extradition of him from another country, as it did albeit unsuccessfully when it found him in the United Kingdom.

He also claimed that the outstanding indictment had besmirched his reputation and by doing so had impeded his business and political ambitions in Nigeria.

But the court held: “These are reasonable concerns, but do not support the relief that he seeks from us.

“He was indicted 16 years ago. At any time during this long interval he had only to show up in the Federal District Court in Chicago to obtain a determination of his guilt or innocence.

“When a suspected criminal flees from imminent prosecution, becoming a fugitive before he is indicted, the statute of limitations on prosecuting him is suspended.

“Similarly, when a defendant flees the country to escape justice, the inference is that he didn’t want a speedy trial—he wanted no trial.

“And if he doesn’t want a speedy trial, he can’t complain that the judiciary didn’t give him one.”

The court found that the indictment against him to be very serious criminal charges.

The court noted that one of Kashamu’s co-defendants was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

The judge said: “If Kashamu was indeed the ringleader of the drug conspiracy, as he may have been, he might if convicted be given an even heavier sentence – quite possibly a life sentence; 21 U.S.C. § 960(b)(1)(A), authorises a life sentence for a conspiracy to import at least a kilogramme of heroin.

“If he wants to fight the charges, he has only to fly from Lagos to Chicago; there are loads of reasonably priced flights.

“How then can he argue with a straight face that the failure of the United States to extradite him entitles him to dismissal of the charges? He can’t; and the petition for a writ of mandamus is therefore denied,” the judge ruled.

In his reaction to the judgment refusing his application to quash the indictment against him, Kashamu said he would fight till he got justice.

In a statement he personally issued last night, Kashamu said that he had been cleared of the indictment by courts in Britain.

He said that despite the British judgment and the defeats the Americans had suffered in their attempts to place a false accusation on him, they had neither attempted to extradite him nor withdraw the charges.

He accused the U.S court of appeal of making ? some wide-ranging generalized statements, which were not borne out by the records.

He said that the charge against him should have been quashed because the trial was delayed and no effort was made to extradite him.

He said ?”I have several complaints against that judgment and my lawyers are exploring the opportunities available for appeal.”

“However before my political adversaries begin the usual perversion of truth I wish to make the following comments on the judgment for the records.

“Again Mr. Posner has ignored the facts on record and the findings of the English Courts in coming to his conclusions that: I have no rights under the American Constitution because I have never been in the United States and “it would be very odd that someone with so attenuated a connection to the United States would have rights under the US Constitution”.

“But no matter; even if the government is incorrect and Kashamu does have constitutional rights, he still loses, because they haven’t been violated”.

He said that the court of appeal came to a wrong conclusion by holding that ?only two options were available to him.

The first is to “return” to the U.S. and “stand trial and at the trial renew his motion for dismissal on the basis of the speedy trial clause” The second “is to obtain from us, as he is trying to do, a writ of mandamus ordering the District court to dismiss the indictment”.

He said: “Judge Posner comes to these wrong conclusions in order to create a scenario of a stalemate between me and the U.S authorities whereby he posits that I will not come to the U.S. to fall into the clutches of the U.S. judiciary and that the U.S. authorities in turn have little hope of ever extraditing me to the U.S in view of my prominence in Nigeria and the findings of the British Courts, thus he then surmises: “as he won’t risk the first path to relief, which would require him to come to the United States and fall into the clutches of the federal judiciary, he must rely entirely on mandamus”.

He said that the appeal court? proceeded to reject the application for mandamus for the reason that he had not come to the U.S. to “face the judicial music”.

According to him, the court feigns ignorance of the statistics that show a serious racial prejudice against blacks and foreigners (especially from developing countries) by the mainly white dominated federal judiciary of the United States.

He said that the prejudice of the justice of the appeal court was patent in the casual manner it treated ‘this important matter and attempts to “call a dog a bad name in order to hang it.”

He accused the court of trying to change a fundamental principle of criminal and International Human rights law by placing upon a suspect who had never been in the U.S. before (merely upon being informed of allegations against him before a U.S. Court) the responsibility to buy a cheap ticket from www.priceline.com, come to the U.S. to surrender himself into the arms of the U.S. judiciary (to prove his innocence of the charges against him?).

He said: ?”I do not believe that justice has been done. And it is not over yet.”

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/09/pdp-chieftain-kashamu-loses-bid-stop-drug-trial-u-s/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by princealbashir: 8:02am On Sep 19, 2014
Jonathan see your life outside.? OBJ warned you about making this rogue your party's leader in the SW

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by Blackchampion(m): 8:05am On Sep 19, 2014
Politician dis! Politician dat! Abeg i tire.
#No comment joor.

4 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by nollyway(m): 8:05am On Sep 19, 2014
Hmmm

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by Lollyad: 8:05am On Sep 19, 2014

4TC
Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by stevolinkon40: 8:06am On Sep 19, 2014
Reading. Mi ti fi oju si. Mi o gbo oyinbo
Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by datguru: 8:06am On Sep 19, 2014
Pdp

6 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by adeoladrg(m): 8:07am On Sep 19, 2014
What is a kashamu?

4 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by Dhellake: 8:09am On Sep 19, 2014
And these are the kind of people our president is associating with, Very Sad!

21 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by Nobody: 8:09am On Sep 19, 2014
Pdp don suffer

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by 80million1: 8:09am On Sep 19, 2014
Let me confirm, please.

3 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by 80million1: 8:10am On Sep 19, 2014
adeoladrg: What is a kashamu?

Whaaaat?

7 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by Rilwayne001: 8:10am On Sep 19, 2014
okay

4 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by 50calibre(m): 8:10am On Sep 19, 2014
Drug barons, thieves, liars, retar*ds.... These are people in Jonadaf*t's circle.

With these calibre of people running the country, how could any sane individual be optimistic about Nigeria's prospects?

50 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by ibe9ja: 8:10am On Sep 19, 2014
Smh
Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by 80million1: 8:10am On Sep 19, 2014
stevolinkon40: Reading. Mi ti fi oju si. Mi o gbo oyinbo

and so??

1 Like

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by epospiky(m): 8:10am On Sep 19, 2014
Stupid government. Even as it's obvious that the young man is guilty they still failed to prosecute him. How am i not sure they are allies. Smh for this country.

3 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by aljharem(m): 8:11am On Sep 19, 2014
[size=18pt]U.S AGENTS EXPOSE BOLA TINUBU'S DRUG TRAFFICKING DEALS [/size]

Facts have emerged that the erstwhile Governor of Lagos state, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu may have been involved in a white heroin trafficking network which operated in Chicago and some parts of Indiana and led by one Adegboyega Mueez Akande between 1988 and 1993. The source of the white heroine was identified as one Mr. Lee Andrew Edwards who was incarcerated for attempting to murder a federal agent while the agent was executing a search warrant on him.

According to the Verified Complaint for forfeiture in case No. 93 C 4483 Obtained by SaharaReporters, which was filed on July 26, 1993 before the Hon. Judge Nordberg of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, the United States Government urged the Court to order the forfeiture of funds in accounts Nos. 263226700 held by First Heritage Bank in the name of Bola Tinubu, funds in accounts 39483134, 39483396, 4650279566, 00400220, 39936404 and 39936383 held by Citibank N.A in the name of Bola Tinubu and funds in accounts 52050-89451952,52050-89451952, 52050-89451953 held by Citibank in the name of Bola Tinubu because there was probable cause to believe that the funds in Tinubu's bank accounts represented proceeds of narcotics trafficking or were monies involved in financial transactions in violations of 18 U.S.C, sections 1956 and 1957 and therefore, was forfeitable to the U.S Government.

http://www.pointblanknews.com/os1147.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by datguru: 8:11am On Sep 19, 2014
looking4job: HELLO NAIRALANDERS,

PLEASE SAVE A BROTHER. SAVE A SOUL. I'M FRUSTRATED AND SINKING IN ABJECT POVERTY. I NEED A JOB URGENTLY AND I WILL SINCERELY APPRECIATE ANY FORM OF HELP RENDERED TO ME CONCERNING GETTING EMPLOYED. IF YOU'RE IN POSITION TO HELP WITH ANY USEFUL INFORMATION, KINDLY PM ME. GOD BLESS YOU ALL

like seriously ? undecided
Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by Nobody: 8:11am On Sep 19, 2014
Lollyad: .
4TC
datguru: Pdp
80million1: Ok
Rilwayne001: okay
attention! attention!!
We r having our meeting today by six o'clock grin

9 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by DonaldGenes(m): 8:11am On Sep 19, 2014
Sometimes iWonder why some people with criminal intent won't and can't stop smearing this Country image in an unflattering light? Yet we`ve so many security Agencies unable to fish Out these bad guys.It sucks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by Blackchampion(m): 8:11am On Sep 19, 2014
looking4job: HELLO NAIRALANDERS,

PLEASE SAVE A BROTHER. SAVE A SOUL. I'M FRUSTRATED AND SINKING IN ABJECT POVERTY. I NEED A JOB URGENTLY AND I WILL SINCERELY APPRECIATE ANY FORM OF HELP RENDERED TO ME CONCERNING GETTING EMPLOYED. IF YOU'RE IN POSITION TO HELP WITH ANY USEFUL INFORMATION, KINDLY PM ME. GOD BLESS YOU ALL
So like dis now u de luk 4 job abi?

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by eptolap: 8:12am On Sep 19, 2014
water don pass garri
Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by 80million1: 8:12am On Sep 19, 2014
Lollyad: .

4TC

What's this?

1 Like

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by Nobody: 8:12am On Sep 19, 2014
The guy should just remain in town and be deciding who takes whatever political slot is available jo.

Is US saint in any crime!

1 Like

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by gunuvi(m): 8:12am On Sep 19, 2014
kashmu going going going......

2 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by phransix147(m): 8:12am On Sep 19, 2014
Let them ask FG and Benin to produce him ASAP... He has been identified wat is more? Alhaji them don nab u, go collect ur self contain for Jail jooor!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Chieftain, Kashamu, Loses Bid To Stop Drug Trial In U.S. by tinuolababy(f): 8:13am On Sep 19, 2014
PinDiPi

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Soldiers Beat KEDECO Staff Members Over Disconnection Of Electricity In Kebbi / if These 3 Monikers Leave Romance Section Today Thousands Will Follow Them!!!! / Wife Discovers Missing Husband's Corpse In His Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.