Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,811 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:23 PM

South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. (20916 Views)

‘asari Dokubo Was Arrested In South Africa In $9.3m #cashforarms Deal’ / Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor Opens Up On $9.3m Arms Deal / Oritsejafor Owns Seized Jet With $9. 3m In S / Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Lucky77: 12:11pm On Sep 20, 2014
omenka: I think this is a well orchestrated plan by Tinubu to embarrass GEJ!! Just thesame way he travelled to the US to connive with that judge to deny Baruji Kashamu justice over those trumped up drugs charges!! cry

I think some Nigerians, surely need more deliverance than Nigeria. You top the list.

6 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by AdekunleBalogun: 12:15pm On Sep 20, 2014
omenka: Lmao!! Abeg make una check my profile before una kill me with insults oo!! cheesycheesy

Tor, oya pele...ndo, u are not mumu again...

1 Like

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Cannonleo(m): 12:15pm On Sep 20, 2014
ObiOkpor: My country is a big SHAME to the world.
#SMH# cry
Seun y didnt u put a dislike buuton here.godamnmit your very lucky u are not around else
sad

1 Like

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by waternogetenemy: 12:16pm On Sep 20, 2014
mrofficial:

How am I giving Nigeria bad name? I'm sure you're suffering from mental disorder.

If South Africa is more corrupt, how come the country is far better than Nigeria, talk about basic amenities? How come we don't hear about them moving millions of dollar (cash) around the world? Have you been to South Africa before? If you say South Africa is more corrupt and it's still far better than Nigeria, What has Nigeria achieved with her less corrupt practices compared to South Africa with high corrupt practices as you claimed?

[b]
Just listen to yourself? Why can't u just claim to be south african, then u will at least be making sense. South Africa is the way it is today becos of extended Colonial rule. They only got their independence in 1994 with Nelson Mandela as their first back president. Even then the White south africans where known to be highly corrupt not to talk of the Native Blacks now in charge.

Are u aware that South Africa is experiencing economic melt down and need such money to boost the banking system? Are u aware that the US, UK, France and their Arabian partners have plans to destabilise Nigeria alongside other major oil producing countries in the world for the purpose of maintaining status quo and saving their economies that is on a slump circle?

Are u aware that these countries have continued to source means of entry into Nigeria even via Strategic military intervention? Politics is not garri so wise up and see the bigger pictures. Wat i share with u barely scratch the surface. There is more. Below is an article from the economist on corruption in south africa.[/b]

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21600729-why-string-corruption-scandals-top-so-disquieting-nkandla

Corruption in South Africa
Nkandla in the wind

Why the string of corruption scandals at the top is so disquieting
Apr 12th 2014 | JOHANNESBURG | From the print edition
Timekeeper
Zuma says he’s spotless
“I AM often asked by people from India and Russia, ‘Why do you worry?’”, says David Lewis, head of Corruption Watch, a privately funded watchdog based in Johannesburg. Why indeed? South Africa sits in the middle of international rankings of corruption. It is not Sweden but nor is it Zimbabwe. It has a free and impertinent press. Its constitution gave birth to bodies that check and balance the powers of government. And its judges back their freedoms to poke the executive in the eye.

Indeed, the ruling African National Congress (ANC) has been checked-and-balanced recently rather more than usual. The public protector, a body created by the constitution, published a report last month that chastised the president, Jacob Zuma, as partly responsible for the 246m rand ($24m) lavished on his private home in Nkandla, in KwaZulu-Natal. When the Democratic Alliance, the main opposition party, sent a text message to 1.5m voters saying the president stole your money, a court upheld its right to do so; the ANC is appealing against the judgment. Another court said Zwelinzima Vavi, a vocal critic of ANC corruption, should be reinstated as boss of the biggest union federation.

In this section
A peace process that is going nowhere
Nkandla in the wind
Surfing the shabaka
Still much too oily
Reprints
Related topics
Politics
Government and politics
World politics
African politics
South African politics
South Africa has plenty of bodies to be proud of beside its courts. Its treasury is a bastion of rectitude. The revenue service is the envy of richer countries for its ability to harvest tax. The central bank recently raised its main interest rate, despite a weak economy (and a general election next month), to show it is serious about fulfilling its main remit of controlling inflation. The country’s big banks are well regulated and conservative. Its biggest firms are respected multinationals. As long as such institutions stay strong, reckons Mr Lewis, South Africa will not be prey to the sort of endemic corruption seen in Russia, China or India.

Yet there is plenty still to fret about. Start with the Nkandla scandal. Mr Zuma did not quite thumb his nose at the public protector but he came mightily close. Her report recommended that Mr Zuma apologise, pay for some of the refurbishments to his home and report to parliament within two weeks. When the deadline day arrived he airily sent a three-page letter to Parliament’s Speaker, declaring that the report’s findings were at odds with a cabinet investigation, which cleared him of wrongdoing. And he said he would await a third report before giving a further response.

The stalling is not surprising with elections due on May 7th. But the scandal is corrosive not just because of the sums involved but because of the damage it does to South Africa’s institutions. It sullies the presidency as well as the president. And it does broader harm. People feel freer to be corrupt if they sense that people at the top are getting away with it, says Mr Lewis. His biggest worry is the weakness of the police and prosecutorial services. If corruption goes unpunished, it will spread. Most South Africans reckon that corruption at all levels is growing apace, especially in contracts for public works, where lines to the ANC seem increasingly necessary.

And it is hard to avoid an impression that the politically connected are somehow immune to prosecution. The main prosecuting authority is appealing against a court judgment that compels it to indict a former head of the police’s criminal intelligence for fraud, corruption and murder. Meanwhile an investigation led by a senior judge into misdeeds surrounding a big arms deal in 1999 seems to be going nowhere. Mr Zuma’s financial adviser was convicted in 2005 for soliciting a bribe on his behalf from a French arms company. Related charges against Mr Zuma were dropped on the eve of his election as president in 2009. The reasons for that are still far from clear.

2 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by sylaz(m): 12:16pm On Sep 20, 2014
They wanted to buy weaponry from the black market from isreali gun runners, how come Nigerians dont have a gun running operation? shocked atleast the money will flow back into the economy even if it has to pass through the dirty channels first. grin grin

1 Like

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by ObiOkpor(m): 12:20pm On Sep 20, 2014
Cannonleo:
Seun y didnt u put a dislike buuton here.godamnmit your very lucky u are not around else
sad
goddamnit!!! you dumb bastard should just shut the hell up! or i will e-nail your ass to the wall. sad
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Nobody: 12:23pm On Sep 20, 2014
China and India will also be out...you will also not purchase military equipments from Russia

#BRICS

waternogetenemy: South Africa is just asking for Trouble! Wat is $9.3million dollars to South African Investment in Nigeria? lmao!

We will surely sieze more than 9.3million dollars in capital!
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Melahou(m): 12:28pm On Sep 20, 2014
Let them come up with another story!
Like the money was meant to fight EBOLA
Prevention in South Africa grin grin

2 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by omenka(m): 12:28pm On Sep 20, 2014
AdekunleBalogun:

Tor, oya pele...ndo, u are not mumu again...
Lol.u nor well. smiley
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Bublanski: 12:29pm On Sep 20, 2014
Sweet! Now we will know who get the money by seeing who is shouting the loudest or crying the hardest! cool
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by sweetgala(m): 12:29pm On Sep 20, 2014
Gombs: Well then...if they don't wanna accept our explanation, we have one choice and that is use our diplomatic strength. Cash for arms deal by most government is done, wonder why this one is blown out of proportion, I think it's because Oritsejafor is a pastor and PDP is the government.

I don't know of any legitimate government that operates a "raw" cash for arms policy.
What is meant by "cash for arms" in conventional terms is that the country pays most of the value through cash, rather than the usual exchange of good and/or service.
So while before we might have payed via crude oil , or gas , or some resource, some sort of exchange, or we import more of their goods / services . Not raw cash transported across international borders

1 Like

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by lakesider(m): 12:29pm On Sep 20, 2014
Simpsonrocket: The Kingdom of God is liken unto three market women who went to the market to buy goods. The first went to the market and bought all her goods and return to the bus-stop where the bus will pick her. The second went likewise and on getting to the seller, she started gossiping and discussing earthly matters. While the third went also and bought her goods, and on getting to the bustop, she remembered that she had forgotten to buy some other goods, so she went back to the market. Finally the bus arrived and pick up the first market woman, but the other market women were left behind. Will you be ready and well prepared when Jesus comes back? How have you been preparing for eternity?

eternity is a scam.its a weapon used by the powerful to surpress the weak.dont be a victim

1 Like

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by bayulll01(m): 12:31pm On Sep 20, 2014
honeyad: Who will own the money now? See stupid talk...SA Una sha won run us down by force by fire .. I smell hatred!
i would av insulted you but i change my mind,if nigeria live in a lawless country soutie is not,hkw can you take such huge amount of money to the shore of another soverign country,i were southie i will sue the goverment of nigeria for money lundering is just so pathetic the clueeless one has invested nigeria with so much cluelesssness,haba u want to buy arms u cant involve southie even if its true america is proving difficult with us,nija wake up

2 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by LajaLaba: 12:32pm On Sep 20, 2014
NosaHenry: SA think that by stealing our money they will pass us as the no1 economy in Africa? No way. What further explanation do they want when the Nig govt already told them that the transaction was authorised by it. SA has been hating Nigeria since 1914
Dunce Alert!!!Men take cover faster shocked

2 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by lakesider(m): 12:32pm On Sep 20, 2014
shame to Ffk, all Pdp e rat,shame on tribalist and religious bigot,if nigeria must prosper ,we must do away with all this people

2 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by signz: 12:36pm On Sep 20, 2014
lakesider: shame to Ffk, all Pdp e rat,shame on tribalist and religious bigot,if nigeria must prosper ,we must do away with all this people

And let who take over?
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by honeyad(m): 12:36pm On Sep 20, 2014
bayulll01:
i would av insulted you but i change my mind,if nigeria live in a lawless country soutie is not,hkw can you take such huge amount of money to the shore of another soverign country,i were southie i will sue the goverment of nigeria for money lundering is just so pathetic the clueeless one has invested nigeria with so much cluelesssness,haba u want to buy arms u cant involve southie even if its true america is proving difficult with us,nija wake up

If I were you... I'll rather devote more time on how to express myself with better English than coming here to show off with your wack expression!
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by mrofficial(m): 12:36pm On Sep 20, 2014
waternogetenemy:

Just listen to yourself? Why can't u just claim to be south african, then u will at least be making sense. South Africa is the way it is today becos of extended Colonial rule. They only got their independence in 1994 with Nelson Mandela as their first back president. Even then the White south africans where known to be highly corrupt not to talk of the Native Blacks now in charge.

Are u aware that South Africa is experiencing economic melt down and need such money to boost the banking system? Are u aware that the US, UK, France and their Arabian partners have plans to destabilise Nigeria alongside other major oil producing countries in the world for the purpose of maintaining status quo and saving their economies that is on a slump circle?

Are u aware that these countries have continued to source means of entry into Nigeria even via Strategic military intervention? Politics is not garri so wise up and see the bigger pictures. Wat i share with u barely scratch the surface. There is more. Below is an article from the economist on corruption in south africa.

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21600729-why-string-corruption-scandals-top-so-disquieting-nkandla

Claim to be South African?

So what has all this got to do with moving $9.3m cash to the country you know that is trying to destabilise Nigeria in an illegitimate arm deal?

Why are you going about pulling out article about corrupt practices in South Africa? Can't remember arguing about if there are no corrupt practices in South Africa. We can as well pull out worse articles on about Nigeria corrupt practices.

Was it not the same corruption and greed that made Nigeria push for independence?

6 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Nobody: 12:36pm On Sep 20, 2014
signz:

And let who take over?

Maybe someone....like YOU?
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by lakesider(m): 12:36pm On Sep 20, 2014
state sponsored terrorism
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 20, 2014
AdekunleBalogun:

You will forever remain a fool, even when the stirs you in the face you went ahead tell false tales....
slowpoke, Dont be frustrated.pele tie.
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 20, 2014
adebayor1490: woh, its better that happen o. They hate us in sports and economy, naw trying to freeze our money. Marafuckers
Them SA go soon hear am .
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by signz: 12:39pm On Sep 20, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Maybe someone....like YOU?

My G wink
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by successking: 12:48pm On Sep 20, 2014
ralphcrown1: South Africa has seized the $9.3 million Nigerian cash flown abroad a private jet into its capital, Johannesburg, from Abuja early this month. Two Nigerians and an Israeli were travelling with the plane’s crew at the time the cash, which was not declared, was found on the plane.South African security and Nigeria have launched an investigation into what transpired.The explanation from Nigeria that the money was meant for arms purchase for the Nigeria intelligence agencies, has been rejected by South Africa’s Asset Forfeiture Unit (AFU) and the National Prosecuting Authority of South Africa (NPA).The NPA, in a statement, according to online publication Premium Times, said the manner in which the money was brought into the country breached the laws that deal with the transfer of foreign exchange of such proportion.
“The money was initially detained by the South African Revenue Service (SARS) as it was not disclosed or declared at customs, and was above the prescribed legal limit for the amount of cash that may be brought into the country,” it said in a statement.
The NPA, according to the medium, said its investigation showed that Tier One Services Group, the firm the Nigerian government claimed it wanted to procure the arms from, is not authorised to sell or rent military hardware.
“In court papers, the NPA submitted evidence that Tier One is not registered with the National Conventional Arms Control Committee and is thus not authorised to enter into any agreements regarding the sale and/or rental of military equipment,” the statement read.
Tier One has apparently issued an invoice to a Cyprus based company, ESD International Group Ltd, ESD, in respect of the procurement of armaments and helicopters to be delivered to Nigeria.
However, South African investigators said the time when the invoice was prepared and the time the money was brought in threw up some serious issues of its true intent.
The money was ferried to South Africa less than a week from the date the invoice was prepared (September 8, 2014). The involvement of a Cyprus based company also heightens the suspicion that this may be a case of classical money laundering. Cyprus is known for its secretive banking system.
The NPA added that the transaction did not follow normal procedure in the procurement of the kind of equipment it was alleged to have been meant for.
The Senate yesterday summoned National Security Adviser (NSA) Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshall Alex Badeh and Chief of Army Staff Lt.-Gen. Kenneth Minimah over the smuggled $9.3 million cash.
Chairman, Senate Committee on Defence, Senator George Sekibo, said those invited to appear before his committee on Tuesday would brief members on the incident.
He said: “ I don’t want to pre-empt issues because I have not heard details about the issue but they will be here on Tuesday.”
On the soldiers sentenced to death, Sekibo said he was not surprised that death sentence was passed on the 12 soldiers because before they joined military, they were aware of the implication of being involved in mutiny.
He added that before the judgment was passed, the army must have carried out their investigation on the matter.

source:http://www.ralphcrown.com/2014/09/south-african-court-okays-seizure-of.html

This will not in any way surprise any sound mind who has been following the trend of events in Africa today, because Nigeria has been claiming the Almighty of Africa and there are visible pointers towards this greatness as a nation. As a result of this, many African countries who feel that they deserve the position of Giant of Africa (SA) are relentlessly fighting to tell the world that Nigeria dose not deserve the position, and this is always expressed at every opportunity like the issue at hand just to show Nigeria in the bad light.

SA can keep the money but must remember that she will pay multiples of that money after Boko Boys have been defeated.

Naija For Life
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by asamaigho(m): 12:49pm On Sep 20, 2014
datguru: I have said it before and I'm saying it again, forget say I dey support this Gej sef, this recent event is questionable. I think if those APC niggas on nairaland start pointing fingers to him as been part of BH, I will have to keep my mouth shut. Our Muslim brothers might as well say the christians know of BH because of the involvement of one of their prominent leaders, I will still shut up

golden comment....1 trillion likes
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Nobody: 12:54pm On Sep 20, 2014
shegsky:
Wetin u dey do . YOU dey book Mars abi Jupiter . Which one.
no mind meee...
i dey use style book space
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Calculia: 12:58pm On Sep 20, 2014
EroZA: China and India will also be out...you will also not purchase military equipments from Russia

#BRICS

So in your own delusion, China now mix politics and business. #ideylaffoh! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy Business will flourish with Russia and China as they have been going, whilst we recover that which is ours from South African.
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Calculia: 1:02pm On Sep 20, 2014
mrofficial:

Claim to be South African?

So what has all this got to do with moving $9.3m cash to the country you know that is trying to destabilise Nigeria in an illegitimate arm deal?

Why are you going about pulling out article about corrupt practices in South Africa? Can't remember arguing about if there are no corrupt practices in South Africa. We can as well pull out worse articles on about Nigeria corrupt practices.

Was it not the same corruption and greed that made Nigeria push for independence?

No, independence is our right as human beings. God made us free without owing anything to any person.
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Orikinla(m): 1:11pm On Sep 20, 2014
[size=18pt]There is no need for long sermons and theses on this issue.
The simply fact is GOD is exposing the truth about the ruling party and the worst embarrassment is still coming before 2015.
Sit back and enjoy the drama.
This is Beyond Nollywood, Part 1.[/size] grin

1 Like

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by successking: 1:20pm On Sep 20, 2014
mrofficial:

Don't mind those deluded fools. I was in South Africa recently which was my first time. Landed at O.R Tambo Intl Airport. None of the Intl. airports in Nigeria can even stand comparison with it. The citizens of Nigeria should wake up every morning and weep at the situation of this country called Nigeria.

Why have you not nationalized, since your first visit in SA showed Nigeria cannot be compared with SA because of her airports? You lack understanding and so does not deserve to be a Nigerian. Ewu
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by mrofficial(m): 1:23pm On Sep 20, 2014
successking:

Why have you not nationalized, since your first visit in SA showed Nigeria cannot be compared with SA because of her airports? You lack understanding and so does not deserve to be a Nigerian. Ewu

If you had understanding, you would know that when visiting a country, you enter through the airport. Stewpid thing.

2 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by stevolinkon40: 1:25pm On Sep 20, 2014
shegsky:
Seems you
gat nothing meaningful doing. Let me send you on Errand. Aburo.
am available. What can I do for u sir?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

9 Little Things That Ruin Our Mood Every Damn Time / IQ Test: How Many Triangles Can You Find? / Welcome To 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.