Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,953 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them (253576 Views)

The Difference Between An Alligator And A Crocodile / It's I'm And Not Am / What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by deplaymaker(m): 12:30pm On Sep 20, 2014
Please can someone help me out with the answer.

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Ploy(m): 1:43pm On Sep 20, 2014
'I'm' is the contraction of 'I am'. While 'am' is a primary auxiliary verb 'to be' like: is, are, was, were, am, be, being, and been.
These auxiliary verbs could be used as helping verbs e.g.
I am eating
she is reading
They are also used as linking verbs e.g. I am a teacher

The difference between I'm and am is: I'm is the first person singular pronoun I and auxiliary verb am while 'am' is just an auxiliary verb that can't start a sentence. Hence, it's wrong to write: Am with you my yoriyori instead write I'm with you my yoriyori.

333 Likes 24 Shares

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by MykLANNY(m): 3:05pm On Sep 20, 2014
I Am na GOD name. Am na english word.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by babs123(m): 8:39pm On Sep 20, 2014
I'm means I am.
It is wrong to use 'Am' to start a sentence.
So it is wrong to say : Am happy you came
You should rather say: I am happy you came.
Or you say I'm happy you came.

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by deplaymaker(m): 9:07pm On Sep 28, 2014
Thanks for your reply

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by eolawale1: 6:57pm On Jun 09, 2016
Difference between I am and am I?

I am is used to make a statement, like "I am a teacher", or "I am a member of the book club".

Am I is usually used for:
1. Questioning. "Am I supposed to be here tomorrow?"
2. Challenging (expressing disbelief) a statement. "You are very beautiful." "Am I?"
3. Rhetoric sentence. "Wow, I am a good mentor, am I now?"

96 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Addicted2Women: 6:52am On Jun 10, 2016
They're same meaning.
I'm is abbreviation of I am.

I'm a boy, I am a boy

The use of only "am" is not correct, it suppose to go with "i "

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Aviero: 6:52am On Jun 10, 2016
Anytime I see an educated person use "am" in the place of "I'm/I am", I get so discouraged. Many lecturers are guilty of this.

As insignificant as they think it is, it's very important in the establishment of sustainable growth and development. (NTA News, Vision 20:20:20)

14 Likes

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by brunofarad(m): 6:53am On Jun 10, 2016
Ok

Over to u. Our English men and women

grin

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Uncleodi(m): 6:56am On Jun 10, 2016
eolawale1:
Difference between I am and am I?

I am is used to make a statement, like "I am a teacher", or "I am a member of the book club".

Am I is usually used for:
1. Questioning. "Am I supposed to be here tomorrow?"
2. Challenging (expressing disbelief) a statement. "You are very beautiful." "Am I?"
3. Rhetoric sentence. "Wow, I am a good mentor, am I now?"

Perfect answer!

u should be Buhari's English tutor.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Aviero: 6:57am On Jun 10, 2016
Addicted2Women:
They're same meaning.
I'm is abbreviation of I am.

I'm a boy, I am a boy
Did you read the original post at all?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Dafkelvin222(m): 6:57am On Jun 10, 2016
They're two diff words...''am'' is for questioning and i'm is for intro...e.g i'm muhammadu buhari,the chief jukeeter,,am i a dullard?

15 Likes

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by wordcat(m): 6:57am On Jun 10, 2016
babs123:
I'm means I am. It is wrong to use 'Am' to start a sentence.
Am I the only one seeing this?

35 Likes

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Aniwhyte(m): 6:57am On Jun 10, 2016
Hmmmmm, something is strange here, 13,000+ views and such little comments and worst of it all its still on page 0, hmmmm this is strange.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Earth2Metahuman: 6:58am On Jun 10, 2016
babs123:
I'm means I am.
It is wrong to use 'Am' to start a sentence.
So it is wrong to say : Am happy you came
You should rather say: I am happy you came.
Or you say I'm happy you came.
wrong

You can start a sentence with am..

Am is an auxiliary verb and like every other auxiliary verb, it can start a sentence but mostly to ask questions.

E.g am I talking to you?
Am I crazy or what?

The first guy already made it clear enough.

11 Likes

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by kossyablaze(m): 6:59am On Jun 10, 2016
Tell em
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by macino1(m): 6:59am On Jun 10, 2016
Nice info
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Addicted2Women: 7:00am On Jun 10, 2016
Aviero:
Did you read the original post at all?

Can't you wait till i finish writing before you quote me ??
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Pelaiye2703(m): 7:00am On Jun 10, 2016
I am a gay, am i right?

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by kossyablaze(m): 7:00am On Jun 10, 2016
Uncleodi:

Perfect answer!

He Don deaf na

4 Likes

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by castrokins(m): 7:02am On Jun 10, 2016
This Post Traveled Two Years To Get To FP. Seun Una Try O...I Imagine The Post Would've Originated From FP Were It On Anita Joseph, Cossy, Etc, Flaunting Drab Boobs

7 Likes

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by ibez007(m): 7:02am On Jun 10, 2016
Nairalander!...

Abeg, no lose Hope ooo...

Coz, this thread you are reading,
Was BORN

On
Sept 20th 2014...

**seun , i guess the thread don ripe?! Nhmm.

7 Likes

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Nobody: 7:03am On Jun 10, 2016
Excelent
Ploy:
'I'm' is the contraction of 'I am'. While 'am' is a primary auxiliary verb 'to be' like: is, are, was, were, am, be, being, and been.
I am eating
she is reading

The difference between I'm and am is: I'm is the first person singular pronoun I and auxiliary verb am while 'am' is just an auxiliary verb that can't start a sentence. Hence, it's wrong to write: Am with you my yoriyori instead write I'm with you my yoriyori.
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Earth2Metahuman: 7:03am On Jun 10, 2016
Pelaiye2703:
I am a gay, am i right?
yes, you are.

11 Likes

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Aviero: 7:03am On Jun 10, 2016
Addicted2Women:

Can't you wait till i finish writing before you quote me ??
How do you expect me to know you were still typing. grin grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by macino1(m): 7:03am On Jun 10, 2016
Uncleodi:

Perfect answer!

you get mouth, lol

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Luvdmx(m): 7:04am On Jun 10, 2016
MykLANNY:

7 Likes

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by youngest85(m): 7:04am On Jun 10, 2016
MykLANNY:
7 crates of orijin 4 u

3 Likes

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by Rapture4real(m): 7:04am On Jun 10, 2016
Ploy:
I am eating
she is reading

You did well.In essence ,I'm is combination of two two words namely I-pronoun and am-auxilliary verb which past tense is was.People make the mistake because they both sound alike in pronounciation

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by dauntless15(m): 7:06am On Jun 10, 2016
Isn't it too early for English lessons? Me am still feeling sleepy i am just gonna go back to sleep
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by TerrorSquad(m): 7:06am On Jun 10, 2016
ok
Re: The Difference Between " I'm And Am" And How To Use Them by modskiller(m): 7:07am On Jun 10, 2016
Brb

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A.B.U Zaria 2014/2015 Admission Thread / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / The Polytechnic, Ibadan 2012/2013 Admissions. ND/HND

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.