Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,365 members, 7,800,732 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! (40353 Views)

A Thread For 2016 Brides and Grooms To Be / Polygamy: Why Men Marry More Wives. / A Thread For Ladies Who Want To Get Married (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by kandiikane(m): 4:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
Hm
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by TV01(m): 5:03pm On Sep 22, 2014
sandijey: She said after all, what's d difference between a cheating husband and a polygamyst. cheesy.

The expectation with monogamy is fidelity, with polygamy it's infidelity. In the former you don't expect it, with the latter you embrace it. Is it me, or does a cheating husband actually sound like a better deal?

bellong: I do not have a single good story to share about polygamous home.
cry cry cry cry cry cry

Not one?

TV

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tbaba1234: 5:06pm On Sep 22, 2014
My grandfather married 3 wives and it was a happy home generally. All the children get along very well till today. In some cases, you can not tell that they are not from the same mother.

My grandma breastfed one of the son of her cowife, that was the kind of environment that they grew up in.

Polygamy is not easy but it can be as happy and successful as monogamy depending on the individuals.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tbaba1234: 5:09pm On Sep 22, 2014
tbaba12345: Studying for a PhD in engineering at Cambridge, she might not seem like a prime candidate to enter into a polygamous marriage.

But that is what Nabilah Phillips did, dropping out of university to become the second woman married to businessman Hasan Phillips who has since acquired a third wife.

Yesterday it emerged that Mrs Phillips, from North London, is among thousands of Muslim women entering into such relationships which are illegal in the UK but allowed under sharia law which permits men to have four wives.

A new television documentary, The Men with Many Wives, exposes the rise in these unions – of which there are believed to be as many as 20,000 in Britain – and the dating agency, Muslim Marriage Event, responsible for setting many of them up.

Having already been through a divorce Mrs Phillips, 35, originally from Malaysia, signed up to a similar matrimony service specifically looking for a married man.

She told the programme: ‘I was looking for someone who had been married or was already in a marriage.

‘I was married before and having gone through one divorce, you kind of know what you want in marriage, so I wanted someone who already knows how to be a husband.

‘I really enjoy being in a polygamous relationship. We are not stupid people who are forced into this type of relationship.’

Through the service she signed up to she met 32-year-old Mr Phillips – also divorced but re-married to City worker Sakinah, 33, – and decided to abandon her studies to become his second wife.

The wives occasionally meet when Mr Phillips, who as well as being a businessman also works for a charity aiming to spread the word of Islam, organises family outings.

Nabilah Phillips said: ‘If any problem happens between co-wives it’s usually his fault. Praising somebody too much. “Why don’t you be more like her, she’s this, she’s that”. If he didn’t say that, we would all be happy.’

She has two children with Mr Phillips, who has six in total, and helps to run his import-export business. But abandoning her high-flying academic career was not her only change after she married. She also began wearing the Muslim veil, the niqab.

She told Radio Times: ‘I wanted to wear one before I got married – being married to Hasan has given me the opportunity to wear one and be steady at it. The only prejudice I have met so far has been from other Muslims.’

During filming Mr Phillips, who converted to Islam from Christianity when he was 16, marries a third woman, Somalia-born Anub, 41.

He did not invite his other two wives to the small ceremony, held at the local mosque, saying: ‘I don’t think it would be right to invite them. Even though they are accepting of polygamy, you don’t want to really rub it in their faces, “Look, I’m getting married”, and expect them to be happy and have a party about it.’

Each wife lives in a separate house in London and Mr Phillips spends three nights in each home before moving on to the next.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2757559/Woman-dropped-Cambridge-PhD-enter-polygamous-marriage-Muslim-businessman-two-wives.html#ixzz3DaamrFjw
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 5:18pm On Sep 22, 2014
My father did everything to keep the family as one, but it was obvious the peaceful co existence was fake.

In his absence, everybody carry his/her cross, fighting and gossiping is the order of the day.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 22, 2014
TV01:

The expectation with monogamy is fidelity, with polygamy it's infidelity. In the former you don't expect it, with the latter you embrace it. Is it me, or does a cheating husband actually sound like a better deal?

Not one?

TV

None is a better deal. Although As u rightly put it, One is expect fidelity and the other is expected infidelity. At the end of the day, they both have d same result especially to the receiving end. Its d same feeling of betrayal. I don't know of any human being who can stand seeing someone they love wiv another person. Its just difficult and hard to swallow. If we are to be factual expected infidelity seems less problematic for women.

I don't wish it for my enemy though. Polygamous home is not it. My only problem is we shouldn't be quick to judge women who are married to polygamyst. if we have husband's who cheat on their wives. The girlfriend outside can one day be a second wife. In fact sef a polygamous man and a cheating husband go hand in hand. A lot of men who ended up marrying second wives did not plan it. Men fail to realise that what u have in mind for the girl friend outside might not be what she has in mind for u especially if she is old. If she keeps aborting for u, one day she will keep it and and VOILA............

The rest is history.

5 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by maclatunji: 5:20pm On Sep 22, 2014
tbaba1234:

I remember there was a lady who opened a thread to share her experiences as a wife in a polygamous marriage but she was insulted and abused on this section. It was one of the more disgraceful threads in this section. I certainly do not want to see any woman go through that again.

Some people are too close-minded and see life through their own prism alone.

I'll say...

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 5:22pm On Sep 22, 2014
Each wife lives in a separate house in London and Mr Phillips spends three nights in each home before moving on to the next.

5 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 5:28pm On Sep 22, 2014
To the wives, am a woman and I know tolerating eachother is not easy most especially when it comes to sharing a man.

So, if say the wives are never allowed peace to reign or should I say each protect her wards to the latter even when the child is wrong.

I can say these because am matured, but we the children usually fight eachother like enemies, jealousy and hatred filled the air.
No one saw anything good in eachother no matter what he/she achieved.

The mothers too flaunts their wards success to the face of other just to spite them.

NB: I guess am saying these cos I want to be able to do better in my own case, I pray I will cos its a natural thing for us women to be "funny".

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Seun(m): 5:32pm On Sep 22, 2014
tbaba1234:

I remember there was a lady who opened a thread to share her experiences as a wife in a polygamous marriage but she was insulted and abused on this section. It was one of the more disgraceful threads in this section. I certainly do not want to see any woman go through that again.

Some people are too close-minded and see life through their own prism alone.
Didn't you report the insultive statements to mods? Didn't they act on your reports?
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 5:33pm On Sep 22, 2014
Let me chip in these, I remember their was a time father was discussing with some of the kids and one of us asked him why he had 3 wives and many kids, did actually planned it or it was a mistake?

His responce, if I had marry just one woman will of you have the oppurtunity to grace these earth.

Will just one woman be able to give me 13 children?

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 5:38pm On Sep 22, 2014
Funny enough, I asked my mother similar question on why she choose to marry a man who already had two wives even if she lost her first husband and needed to remarry.

She said another man's sperm would have brought someone else to these world and not us, that marrying my father gave her the oppurtunity to have females after males.

You would say archaic reasoning, but I took it in good fate.

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 5:43pm On Sep 22, 2014
When my hubby took a second wife, it was like heaven should fall on my head or the ground should just open up and swallow me.

I knew everybody who intervened was saying "everything I can't remember" just for me to accept fate.

Only what mum said sooth me a little.

She said if your father did not accept and marry me with my two sons, you won't be here today.

Its your turn to give another woman oppurtunity to a life.

Even when I keep saying why should it be my own husband, I keep remembering what mum said of everything people said.

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by thebossman(m): 5:45pm On Sep 22, 2014
Polygamy, I support
When done accordingly, it is a good marital option

I just don't have the patience to keep two women under the same roof. For those that can, why the hell not? The one I have travels enough to not get too much on my nerves with her OCDs.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tbaba1234: 5:53pm On Sep 22, 2014
Seun: Didn't you report the insultive statements to mods? Didn't they act on your reports?

They acted but by then, the damage was done..
Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 5:59pm On Sep 22, 2014
My father got married to a lady that is just 4 years older than me, she used to be my sister's classmate in the university even. We made fun of me a lot when it started. grin and mum did sakara but we got her to calm down.

The only thing is, right from when we were kids, he would tell my mum and us that he will marry a second wife. It wasn't religious per se, it was more of convenience.

I have a 6 years old step-brother who looks so much like me that I call him my son. grin
And 'iyawo wa' remains my sister's friend. And grandma (my mum) remains grandma, even to her. They don't live together though as my mum lives more in my sister's house than his.
So everyone is happy. I get clothes for everyone, the three of them I mean. Grudges are taken to dad by both parties.

He waited till we were all out of school and employed, self sufficient at most.

So far, so good.
But me? I am very jealous and it will be tough but it is a life that can be lived when done right. Every man is a cheater after all.

YYN

14 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by GodsDivinefavor(f): 5:59pm On Sep 22, 2014
Let me say my aim for opening these is majorly to help myself in facing the challenge of my new developing home.

Raised from a polygamous hoem, I never taught I will find myself here cos I saw it live and know the details.

I want to see if I can remember somethings that actuall happened wayback, how it started, which role each person played including myself. How best to handle situations and most importantly help me become a better person.

I will be re-reading these over and over and may probably be adding along the line.

If I must confess...it is not easy.

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by bellong: 6:05pm On Sep 22, 2014
I hope this will not be turned to a religious thread.

There shouldn't be any religious reference to whether it is good or bad. Only for people to state their experiences.

@TV01

Not one. I was told the home was "fragily" peaceful until the sixth wife came in. That was before I came to the world...

I didn't grow up to enjoy anything good about polygamy.

5 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 22, 2014
GodsDivinefavor.
God is your strength. Its a very difficult situation. The advise your mum gave u is based on her being a third wife. If you were close to your step mum, I mean your dad's first wife. My dear, she is in the best position to advise you. Can't imagine how you're feeling. Don't listen to any insult anybody might give. As I earlier stated. A cheating husband is no different from a polygamyst. We all just try to give bad things sweet names. It is well.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by ayinba1(f): 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2014
freecocoa: *spreads camp bed*

My dad is from a polygamous home, grandpa married about 10 wives(i know 2 besides my grandma), my grandma was the no 9, hearing from my dad, aunts and uncles, it wasn't easy, till now, there's no unity amongst them, they don't even know where some of their step siblings are.

I don't believe anything good can come out of polygamy.

But you came out of polygamy!!!

8 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 22, 2014
yeyenatu: My father got married to a lady that is just 4 years older than me, she used to be my sister's classmate in the university even. We made fun of me a lot when it started. grin and mum did sakara but we got her to calm down.

The only thing is, right from when we were kids, he would tell my mum and us that he will marry a second wife. It wasn't religious per se, it was more of convenience.

I have a 6 years old step-brother who looks so much like me that I call him my son. grin
And 'iyawo wa' remains my sister's friend. And grandma (my mum) remains grandma, even to her. They don't live together though as my mum lives more in my sister's house than his.
So everyone is happy. I get clothes for everyone, the three of them I mean. Grudges are taken to dad by both parties.

He waited till we were all out of school and employed, self sufficient at most.

So far, so good.
But me? I am very jealous and it will be tough but it is a life that can be lived when done right. Every man is a cheater after all.

YYN

Totally disagree.

7 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tbaba1234: 6:22pm On Sep 22, 2014
sandijey:

Totally disagree.

You disagree with her experience?? Not everyone has bad stories of polygamy, some people actually have good stories.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by ayinba1(f): 6:22pm On Sep 22, 2014
sandijey: GodsDivinefavor.
God is your strength. Its a very difficult situation. The advise your mum gave u is based on her being a third wife. If you were close to your step mum, I mean your dad's first wife. My dear, she is in the best position to advise you. Can't imagine how you're feeling. Don't listen to any insult anybody might give. As I earlier stated. A cheating husband is no different from a polygamyst. We all just try to give bad things sweet names. It is well.

A polygamist is very different from a cheating husband. A friend who stabs you in the back is not the same as an enemy you recognize.
A lot of us worry more about what "others" say than what we actually feel. You can choose to see some good in your situation if you have the capacity to be thankful/grateful. It is an attitude.
If your husband performs his responsibilities, be it monogamy or polygamy, you will have good experiences. If he is negligent of his duties, you will be miserable be you half wife, one wife or one out of more than one wife.

Let us not over romanticize monogamy and vilify polygamy.

I am a woman and yes, Orisha , je kin pe meji obirin ko de inu. But it is not the worst thing that could happen in a marriage.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:26pm On Sep 22, 2014
tbaba1234:

You disagree with her experience?? Not everyone has bad stories of polygamy, some people actually have good stories.

Totally disagree wiv the bolded. Not her experience. angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:30pm On Sep 22, 2014
ayinba1:

A polygamist is very different from a cheating husband. A friend who stabs you in the back is not the same as an enemy you recognize.
A lot of us worry more about what "others" say than what we actually feel. You can choose to see some good in your situation if you have the capacity to be thankful/grateful. It is an attitude.
If your husband performs his responsibilities, be it monogamy or polygamy, you will have good experiences. If he is negligent of his duties, you will be miserable be you half wife, one wife or one out of more than one wife.

Let us not over romanticize monogamy and vilify polygamy.

I am a woman and yes, Orisha , je kin pe meji obirin ko de inu. But it is not the worst thing that could happen in a marriage.

Maaam it's the same to me. Nothing is stopping the woman outside from becoming the woman inside. Nothing. Its d same feeling of betrayal, insecurities, and unexpected and unforseen mistakes. I don't subscribe to either of it but I don't no how many men actually planned to be polygamyst. It started from having girlfriend outside isn't it. No difference. One is more coloured than the other. Just my take. You don't have to agree.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:33pm On Sep 22, 2014
Okay.

The tendency to cheat is in almost every man and I mean (human) actually. How we react to the urge is what make us different.
Just because he didn't ask the sister out doesn't mean he didn't imagine her naked. There is emotional cheating oooo. That time when she/he does something and wonder if sister/brother yemi would have done same. Na for dia e dey start.

Ability to ignore our 'ojukokoro' tendency is dependent on our persons. It is there, we just had overcome it either through religion or self discipline.

You are however entitled to your opinion.

YYN

sandijey:

Totally disagree.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tbaba1234: 6:36pm On Sep 22, 2014
sandijey:

Maaam it's the same to me. Nothing is stopping the woman outside from becoming the woman inside. Nothing. Its d same feeling of betrayal, insecurities, and unexpected and unforseen mistakes. I don't subscribe to either of it but I don't no how many men actually planned to be polygamyst. It started from having girlfriend outside isn't it. No difference. One is more coloured than the other. Just my take. You don't have to agree.

The bolded is not exactly true. No all polygamous homes start with adulterous relationships.

Some men actually plan to be polygamous.

9 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
yeyenatu: Okay.

The tendency to cheat is in almost every man and I mean (human) actually. How we react to the urge is what make us different.
Just because he didn't ask the sister out doesn't mean he didn't imagine her naked. There is emotional cheating oooo. That time when she/he does something and wonder if sister/brother yemi would have done same. Na for dia e dey start.

Ability to ignore our 'ojukokoro' tendency is dependent on our persons. It is there, we just had overcome it either through religion or self discipline.

You are however entitled to your opinion.

YYN

Don't you think the tendency to cheat is in almost every woman too. Married women to have toasters. Get tempted too. As u rightly put it the tendency to cheat depends largely on our personality and religious believes.

6 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 22, 2014
tbaba1234:

The bolded is not exactly true. No all polygamous homes start with adulterous relationships.

Some men actually plan to be polygamous.

Read my statement again. I said I do not no how many people planned to be polygamyst meaning there are some people who actually planned it but I am yet to see a christian who planned it and am sorry but it's almost impossible not to include religion. Meanwhile are u a polygamyst? If yes how do u handle your wives or how do your wives handle you

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia1: 6:51pm On Sep 22, 2014

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by tpia1: 6:58pm On Sep 22, 2014

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For "Everything Polygamy"! by Nobody: 6:59pm On Sep 22, 2014
GodsDivinefavor: My father did everything to keep the family as one, but it was obvious the peaceful co existence was fake.

In his absence, everybody carry his/her cross, fighting and gossiping is the order of the day.

Since, you lived through it: can you share what your experience was like, especially the pros and cons?

I've heard a lot of stories from my parents, but their own experiences were somewhat different albeit still similar in a way, since it's the same culture. My maternal grandad was a Christian, while my paternal grandad was a Muslim. With my dad, because my nan was the first wife, they never really lived under the same roof with their dad - apart from when they were kids. Different houses but still married. However, with my mum, they all lived together with their dad, the other wives, and children - till their teen years.

So, your own experience might be different.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

8-Month Pregnant Woman Dies One Month After Her Wedding (pics) / Whose Church Is The Family Church?? / Please Save A Sister's Life.... Story Verified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.