Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,202 members, 7,807,683 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:19 PM

Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required (43955 Views)

Farmers Your Advice Is Needed Pls / See Gov. Rochas Okorocha Eating Cucumber In My Farm (pics) / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by world1(m): 9:31pm On Nov 09, 2014
Bhurlagy:
@jethro2 nd world1 nd others. Is compulsory i make ridges for my cucumber and how many seed pa hole. At what time should i start applying insectide. For those in ijebu ode of ogun state,when can we plant next year.
Am so sorry for my late response Jethro the guru had said it all. Talking about staking it help mage your fruit neat and will help you in spraying because the cucumber will be more visible.

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by christian11(m): 11:45pm On Nov 10, 2014
jethro2:

Liquid fertilizer is not harmful to the leaf.
Thank you.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Nobody: 8:54pm On Nov 11, 2014
Sorry to digress a little,which insecticide should i use for bee that is sucking fluid from.the leaf of my plantain?
do u apply the insecticide on the leaf? i alreay have a sprayer dt i used to spray the herbicide.

I noticed an insect dt looks like bee scuks the fluid of my plaintain and after making some repeated movements on the leaf, the green colour in the area it made the movement changes to brown. ive noticed the coloratn in the leaf, but finally saw its an insect (likely to be a bee).that causes it.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 12:16am On Nov 12, 2014
mercylicious:
Sorry to digress a little,which insecticide should i use for bee that is sucking fluid from.the leaf of my plantain?
do u apply the insecticide on the leaf? i alreay have a sprayer dt i used to spray the herbicide.
I noticed an insect dt looks like bee scuks the fluid of my plaintain and after making some repeated movements on the leaf, the green colour in the area it made the movement changes to brown. ive noticed the coloratn in the leaf, but finally saw its an insect (likely to be a bee).that causes
It cant be bees. Bees don't destroy crops. Bees are beneficial to farms because they pollinate flowers that produces fruits.
I will advise you post your concern on some of the plantain threads in order to get assistance on time.
I m a dummy in plantain cultivation. Best of luck.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 12:17am On Nov 12, 2014
christian11:

Thank you.
You are highly welcome
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 7:29am On Nov 12, 2014
Cucumber pointsett variety still flowering at 6 and half week. There are few fruits within the farm. We hope to commence harvesting by the 7th week

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 10:25pm On Nov 12, 2014
Murano F2 and pointsett varieties at harvest today. Thee longer cucumber is murano. The advantage of Murano F2 over the other variety is that it matures at five and a half weeks while the other varieties matured at 7 weeks. Murano also produce bigger cucumber than pointsett and marketer. The disadvantage is that Murano is quite expensive.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 11:25pm On Nov 16, 2014
Harvested cucumbers from the farm. We had 5 bags

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Pappyshoes(m): 9:53am On Nov 17, 2014
jethro2:
Harvested cucumbers from the farm. We had 5 bags
WOW!!! Murano Jeep is knocking the door....lol
Well done @Jethro2.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 10:08am On Nov 17, 2014
Pappyshoes:

WOW!!! Murano Jeep is knocking the door....lol
Well done @Jethro2.
Thank you.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 10:13am On Nov 17, 2014
During the harvesting. We are to harvest every 4 days interval. We hope to have more bags in the next harvest

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Kalusam(m): 11:30am On Nov 17, 2014
The difference is clear. There are only two cucumber varieties i know, Murano and the others wink
jethro2:
Murano F2 and pointsett varieties at harvest today. Thee longer cucumber is murano. The advantage of Murano F2 over the other variety is that it matures at five and a half weeks while the other varieties matured at 7 weeks. Murano also produce bigger cucumber than pointsett and marketer. The disadvantage is that Murano is quite expensive.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 11:37am On Nov 17, 2014
Kalusam:
The difference is clear. There are only two cucumber varieties i know, Murano and the others wink
lol
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Juliana7: 7:38pm On Nov 17, 2014
@ jethro, pls sir what do u mean by harvesting at interval every 4 days, sorry, to ask oo is it like pepper and tomatoes dat u start harvesting every 3 to 5 after d first harvest
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by ptoall: 8:17pm On Nov 17, 2014
Jethro Boss, pls can u give d rough estimate of cultivating an acre of cucumber. Especially the cost of seedling, of d two varieties ( and where to get the seeds) as well as d cost of herbiciding.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 9:02pm On Nov 17, 2014
Juliana7:
@ jethro, pls sir what do u mean by harvesting at interval every 4 days, sorry, to ask oo is it like pepper and tomatoes dat u start harvesting every 3 to 5 after d first harvest
Yes its like pepper and tomatoes. It will be getting matured every 4-5days
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 9:07pm On Nov 17, 2014
ptoall:
Jethro Boss, pls can u give d rough estimate of cultivating an acre of cucumber. Especially the cost of seedling, of d two varieties ( and where to get the seeds) as well as d cost of herbiciding.
The seedling requirement for an acre is 300g of seed. I can give the estimated calculation per acre until after harvesting. Murano seed is N5,500 for 50g while marketer and pointsett are N1,500 for 100g

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Pavore9: 9:08pm On Nov 17, 2014
@jethro2, congratulations on your harvest! What is your marketing plan for it?
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Pappyshoes(m): 9:14pm On Nov 17, 2014
jethro2:

Yes its like pepper and tomatoes. It will be getting matured every 4-5days
OK, but pls, how do you sell? Is it per bag, kilo or per truck?

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by ptoall: 9:39pm On Nov 17, 2014
jethro2:

The seedling requirement for an acre is 300g of seed. I can give the estimated calculation per acre until after harvesting. Murano seed is N5,500 for 50g while marketer and pointsett are N1,500 for 100g
And also, how many of those bags of harvested cucumbers can you get from one acre.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by christian11(m): 10:01pm On Nov 17, 2014
jethro2:

Abeg ehhh!!! U cultivate reach one acre? How many plots be that?
I'm already calculating mad figures...
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by waka2: 10:58pm On Nov 17, 2014
@jethro.wow! congrats oga,pls lecture us o on pricing. thanks
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 5:55am On Nov 18, 2014
Pavore9:
@jethro2, congratulations on your harvest! What is your marketing plan for it?
The target market is mile 12 Lagos. A bag in mile 12 is currently 3000 while Ibadan market is 2000
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 5:56am On Nov 18, 2014
Pappyshoes:

OK, but pls, how do you sell? Is it per bag, kilo or per truck?
Per bag. A 25kg bag
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 6:00am On Nov 18, 2014
ptoall:

And also, how many of those bags of harvested cucumbers can you get from one acre.
The mentor in the farm said between 40 - 50 bags if its perform well. Since i am just harvesting I dont know what my harvest will be
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 6:03am On Nov 18, 2014
christian11:

Abeg ehhh!!! U cultivate reach one acre? How many plots be that?
I'm already calculating mad figures...
I cultivated about 5 - 6 acres. An acre is 40m by 40m. Not sure what plot is that
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 6:11am On Nov 18, 2014
One of the lesson i learned is that one should endeavour to have a very big farm. This will assist in easy transportation to market. For example, my first harvest was 5 bags. It was difficult to get transportation to farm because I can not chatter a vehicle/car for just 5 bags. But if the farm is very big, the first and second harvest will be much.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Pavore9: 7:54am On Nov 18, 2014
jethro2:

The target market is mile 12 Lagos. A bag in mile 12 is currently 3000 while Ibadan market is 2000
Averagely, how many cucumbers are in a bag?
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Pappyshoes(m): 10:32am On Nov 18, 2014
jethro2:
One of the lesson i learned is that one should endeavour to have a very big farm. This will assist in easy transportation to market. For example, my first harvest was 5 bags. It was difficult to get transportation to farm because I can not chatter a vehicle/car for just 5 bags. But if the farm is very big, the first and second harvest will be much.
It's true. Wisdom.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 11:29am On Nov 18, 2014
Pavore9:
Averagely, how many cucumbers are in a bag?
I have not bother to count that. I dont have idea. Please dont forget that the sizes are never the same.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Bhurlagy(m): 11:36am On Nov 18, 2014
@jethro,congrats bro.
Pls house,i need answers to these questions
1. How many seed of cucumber in a hole wen planting.
2. At what stage do one apply fertilizer and insectide.
3.Will i be the one to take it to the market or i will call the buyer to come pick them.
4. The ibadan address of iita and where i can get the technisem seeds.
Going for my biro and diary to jot ur candid reply.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

World’s First Electric Driverless Tractors Launched (Pictures) / This Long Python Was Killed On The Farm Yesterday / A Day Old Chicks (broiler, Pullet, Cockerel And Turkey) Are For Sale In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.