Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,180 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:37 PM

Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required (43945 Views)

Farmers Your Advice Is Needed Pls / See Gov. Rochas Okorocha Eating Cucumber In My Farm (pics) / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Pavore9: 11:41am On Nov 18, 2014
jethro2:

I have not bother to count that. I dont have idea. Please dont forget that the sizes are never the same.
l know size varies just to have an idea.Are there no other market outlets in Lagos except Mile 12?
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 11:50am On Nov 18, 2014
Bhurlagy:
@jethro,congrats bro.
Pls house,i need answers to these questions
1. How many seed of cucumber in a hole wen planting.
2. At what stage do one apply fertilizer and insectide.
3.Will i be the one to take it to the market or i will call the buyer to come pick them.
4. The ibadan address of iita and where i can get the technisem seeds.
Going for my biro and diary to jot ur candid reply.

1. 2-3 seed per hole for cucumber planting
2. NPK 2 -3 weeks after planting, liquid fertilizer when its fruiting
3 Yes, you have to take to the market. The agents in the market have their own commission.
4 Agritropic is the distributor of technisem products in Ibadan. Contact name is Mr Dayo 08030886296.
The office is beside custom, close to secretariat at Agodi Ibadan.
Best of luck

6 Likes

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Prodeegee(m): 11:57am On Nov 18, 2014
Great
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Bhurlagy(m): 12:09pm On Nov 18, 2014
1. 2-3 seed per hole for cucumber planting
2. NPK 2 -3 weeks after planting, liquid fertilizer when its fruiting
3 Yes, you have to take to the market. The agents in the market have their own commission.
4 Agritropic is the distributor of technisem products in Ibadan. Contact name is Mr Dayo 08030886296.
The office is beside custom, close to secretariat at Agodi Ibadan.
Best of luck

Thanks alot bro.
Can i intercrop with pepper nd maize
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 12:26pm On Nov 18, 2014
Pavore9:
l know size varies just to have an idea.Are there no other market outlets in Lagos except Mile 12?
For bulk buying at present, its only mile 12. Hotels and restaurants do buys in kilo and at a good price if one can get across to them

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 12:28pm On Nov 18, 2014
Bhurlagy:

Thanks alot bro.
Can i intercrop with pepper nd maize
No. You can not intercrop with pepper and maize. Its a crawling/creeping crops that requires lot of space. Planting is 1m by 1m
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Bhurlagy(m): 12:42pm On Nov 18, 2014
jethro2:

No. You can not intercrop with pepper and maize. Its a crawling/creeping crops that requires lot of space. Planting is 1m by 1m

I appreciate your quick reply.
Why staking then,though i learnt it makes d fruit neat and easy to spray.
Correct me if am wrong.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 1:16pm On Nov 18, 2014
Bhurlagy:

I appreciate your quick reply.
Why staking then,though i learnt it makes d fruit neat and easy to spray.
Correct me if am wrong.
Yes you are correct. And protect from crawling insects and some disease from the soil.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 18, 2014
plz can upload pic of the gnld pro grow liquid ferrilizer you used.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Pavore9: 1:55pm On Nov 18, 2014
jethro2:

For bulk buying at present, its only mile 12. Hotels and restaurants do buys in kilo and at a good price if one can get across to them
while selling @ mile 12, make marketing forays into hotels it pays.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 3:25pm On Nov 18, 2014
mercylicious:
plz can upload pic of the gnld pro grow liquid ferrilizer you used.
I m currently at an IFDC training. I will be back in the farm by Monday. Please remind me then if i forget
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 3:30pm On Nov 18, 2014
Pavore9:
while selling @ mile 12, make marketing forays into hotels it pays.
They have standard requirements for packaging labelling and all sorts. They also don't buy in bulk. One need to sign contract to be supplying throughout the year. Eg for tomato some request for 100kg every week. To meet their standards and demand one must be harvesting every week for a whole year

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by amarawa: 4:21pm On Nov 18, 2014
jethro2:

The target market is mile 12 Lagos. A bag in mile 12 is currently 3000 while Ibadan market is 2000
The 25kg bag in Abuja is N4000.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Kalusam(m): 5:27pm On Nov 18, 2014
Saw this at the Dizengoff Stand at the AgraInnovate International Conference and Exhibition today, the attendant didn't know the variety though.

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by pragmatistm(m): 6:49pm On Nov 18, 2014
@Jethro2, welldone. Congrats for your farm. Im in love with farming.I think I can try this.

But please what insecticide do you recommend? Do you still use insecticide after you have started harvesting?
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 8:45pm On Nov 18, 2014
amarawa:

The 25kg bag in Abuja is N4000.
Same is N3,000 in Lagos.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 8:49pm On Nov 18, 2014
Kalusam:
Saw this at the Dzingerdof Stand at the AgraInnovate International Conference and Exhibition today, the attendant didn't know the variety though.
Look nice. How is the conference. I planned to be there but something else came up. Dizengoff deals with green house farming.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 9:01pm On Nov 18, 2014
pragmatistm:
@Jethro2, welldone. Congrats for your farm. Im in love with farming.I think I can try this.
But please what insecticide do you recommend? Do you still use insecticide after you have started harvesting?
Thank you. Different environment have different pest and insects and they require different methods for handling. One have to be conversant with your environment. What works in my area might not work in another area or could even harm the crop. Best practise is to get information from nearby farmers of the same produce
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Kalusam(m): 9:05pm On Nov 18, 2014
So I thought but discovered that they are also into seeds, machinery and chemicals
jethro2:

Look nice. How is the conference. I planned to be there but something else came up. Dizengoff deals with green house farming.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Bhurlagy(m): 7:47am On Nov 19, 2014
@Jethro2,
Pls give more informations on this murano,pointsett and marketer varieties
1. Each variety duration
2. Size
3. Any other info u think can help intending cucumber farmer.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 1:04pm On Nov 19, 2014
Bhurlagy:
@Jethro2,
Pls give more informations on this murano,pointsett and marketer varieties
1. Each variety duration
2. Size
3. Any other info u think can help intending cucumber farmer.
Murano F2 is an hybrid product while pointsett and marketer are heirloom product.
1. Variety duration
Murano is matured between 5 to 6 weeks.
pointsett and marketer between 7 to 8 weeks.
2. Murano is longer than the other two.
I will gladly attend to questions that you have based on my little farm experience.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Pavore9: 2:08pm On Nov 19, 2014
Kalusam:
So I thought but discovered that they are also into seeds, machinery and chemicals
Are there other firms into greenhouse equipment at the event? Someday will use it to set up a soiless strawberry farm.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Kalusam(m): 4:51pm On Nov 19, 2014
@Pavore, they were the only ones in that line of business at the exhibition stand yesterday
Pavore9:
Are there other firms into greenhouse equipment at the event? Someday will use it to set up a soiless strawberry farm.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by Pavore9: 5:16pm On Nov 19, 2014
Kalusam:
@Pavore, they were the only ones in that line of business at the exhibition stand yesterday
ok. so much can be achieved with a greenhouse, will do a post on my visit to some Sisters who are into aquaponics.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by amarawa: 5:22pm On Nov 22, 2014
Murano seed is quite expensive sha! By my calculation you will need about N100,000 per hectare. Will that be profitable?
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by ptoall: 6:15pm On Nov 22, 2014
Oga Jethro, can u give a rough estimate of d cost of pesticide, NPK and GNLD fertilizer u used?
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 7:10am On Nov 23, 2014
I am sorry for not attending to post questions and all. I have been on a tight schedule. I will find time to do so before the day runs out.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by olushowunm(m): 11:33am On Nov 23, 2014
jethro2:

I cultivated about 5 - 6 acres. An acre is 40m by 40m. Not sure what plot is that
Madam, that's not correct! 1 acre is 4040sqm and that should be 40.04 * 100m and not 40 *40m.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by TAEpiphany: 2:03pm On Nov 24, 2014
Jethro, please what's your email address?

jethro2:
I am sorry for not attending to post questions and all. I have been on a tight schedule. I will find time to do so before the day runs out.
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 2:03am On Nov 25, 2014
amarawa:
Murano seed is quite expensive sha! By my calculation you will need about N100,000 per hectare. Will that be profitable?
Yes Murano is expensive. I didnt plant it on a large scale so i wouldnt be able to justify the profitability
Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 2:26am On Nov 25, 2014
ptoall:
Oga Jethro, can u give a rough estimate of d cost of pesticide, NPK and GNLD fertilizer u used?
Npk is N5500 per bag. An hectare use a bag(some lands are fertile that no need of fertilizer. GNLD. I bought 5 litre for N11,000. The measurement is 16 litre water mixed with 10 or 20 ml. Not too specific but within that range. Pesticide. A litre goes for N1100. Wee use one two or three times.

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers Your Advice Is Required by jethro2: 2:27am On Nov 25, 2014
olushowunm:
Madam, that's not correct! 1 acre is 4040sqm and that should be 40.04 * 100m and not 40 *40m.
Thanks for the correction. My mistake. I appreciate it

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

World’s First Electric Driverless Tractors Launched (Pictures) / A Day Old Chicks (broiler, Pullet, Cockerel And Turkey) Are For Sale In Ibadan / This Long Python Was Killed On The Farm Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.