Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,781 members, 7,802,418 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:07 PM

Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs (56014 Views)

Fraudsters Apprehended At First Bank In Aba While Trying To Scam A Woman- Photos / Nigeria’s Cashew Export Hits N49.7bn / Made-in-Aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Abagworo(m): 4:08am On Sep 22, 2014
BY CHARLES NWAOGUJI ON SEPTEMBER 22, 2014 · BUSINESS

The Aba shoe industry project in South-East Nigeria is heading for global market with daily export fig­ures of one million pairs to other African countries, the President of the Abia Think Tank Association, Mazi Sam Ohuabunwa has said.

Ohuabunwa , who stated this during a press conference ahead of a two-day economic sum­mit in Aba, said that the shoemakers produce quality that compares with the Italian brands, adding that despite leading the Africa market, they are yet to have presence outside the con­tinent.

“We have started forming the shoemakers into cooperative societies so that they can have access to funding from development finance institutions like the Bank of Industry as well as capacity building and linkage to international market, “ he said.

He explained that when he was in Aba where they make shoes billed for Cameroon, Ivory Coast and Gabon even to Zaira over one million pairs of shoes are exported daily out of Aba.

“I found out that they were doing the work without mini­mum support from anybody. But when I calculated their returns on those investments, I found it was peanuts. They work like elephant but eat like ant. They sweat to bring in their ingenuity but because they are not properly har­nessed, the return on invest­ments is meager,” he said.

The former Chairman of Economic Summit Group la­mented that one of the great­est problems facing made-in-Nigeria products is the lack of policy backing by the govern­ment.

“When products made- in- Nigeria are patronized by government and ordinary people then more goods will be produced, wealth created and prosperity will be spread among Nigerians,” he said.

He stated that once the made-in-Nigeria policy is sustained in the medium and long term percentage of Ni­geria’s manufacturer products in composite of export will in­crease and percentage of total imported goods will decrease.

If the policy is properly im­plemented, he said there will be wealth creation and more employment in Nigeria.

He urged Nigerians to de­velop confidence in Made-in-Nigeria products and trade on the products in order to facili­tate more productivity in the country.

Ohuabunwa pointed out that Aba remains the econom­ic and industrial hub of Eastern states and Nigeria with great potentialities yawning for ex­ploitation.

He explained that the forthcoming summit with the theme, “Aba as the Cen­terpiece of Abia Economic Renaissance” will consolidate and deepen the gains of the previous edition and maintain the momentum in focusing at­tention of private and public sectors in Aba to resolve a ver­itable and strategic roadmap for the state’s development.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=82882

136 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Remarkable: 4:10am On Sep 22, 2014
Aba, eh!!!! Aba, no jii!!!
Abagworo: BY CHARLES NWAOGUJI ON SEPTEMBER 22, 2014 · BUSINESS

The Aba shoe industry project in South-East Nigeria is heading for global market with daily export fig­ures of one million pairs to other African countries, the President of the Abia Think Tank Association, Mazi Sam Ohuabunwa has said.

Ohuabunwa , who stated this during a press conference ahead of a two-day economic sum­mit in Aba, said that the shoemakers produce quality that compares with the Italian brands, adding that despite leading the Africa market, they are yet to have presence outside the con­tinent.

“We have started forming the shoemakers into cooperative societies so that they can have access to funding from development finance institutions like the Bank of Industry as well as capacity building and linkage to international market, “ he said.

He explained that when he was in Aba where they make shoes billed for Cameroon, Ivory Coast and Gabon even to Zaira over one million pairs of shoes are exported daily out of Aba.

“I found out that they were doing the work without mini­mum support from anybody. But when I calculated their returns on those investments, I found it was peanuts. They work like elephant but eat like ant. They sweat to bring in their ingenuity but because they are not properly har­nessed, the return on invest­ments is meager,” he said.

The former Chairman of Economic Summit Group la­mented that one of the great­est problems facing made-in-Nigeria products is the lack of policy backing by the govern­ment.

“When products made- in- Nigeria are patronized by government and ordinary people then more goods will be produced, wealth created and prosperity will be spread among Nigerians,” he said.

He stated that once the made-in-Nigeria policy is sustained in the medium and long term percentage of Ni­geria’s manufacturer products in composite of export will in­crease and percentage of total imported goods will decrease.

If the policy is properly im­plemented, he said there will be wealth creation and more employment in Nigeria.

He urged Nigerians to de­velop confidence in Made-in-Nigeria products and trade on the products in order to facili­tate more productivity in the country.

Ohuabunwa pointed out that Aba remains the econom­ic and industrial hub of Eastern states and Nigeria with great potentialities yawning for ex­ploitation.

He explained that the forthcoming summit with the theme, “Aba as the Cen­terpiece of Abia Economic Renaissance” will consolidate and deepen the gains of the previous edition and maintain the momentum in focusing at­tention of private and public sectors in Aba to resolve a ver­itable and strategic roadmap for the state’s development.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=82882

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by tomsniel(m): 4:19am On Sep 22, 2014
Lets go NAIJA !. Finally a step forward from all the backwardness in the country. Very soon we gonna give the Italians and those Asians a run for their money. #proudlynaija

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Donmarrius: 5:51am On Sep 22, 2014
I have been longing for this.

Truth is that,its only Abia and Anambra,that can give Lagos a run for her money.

The administrations in Anambra starting from Obi to Obiano,are actually getting it right,but more needs to be done.

While in Abia,i was thinking Orji Uzor was either suffering from greed and hence,kept the state fund to himself or he is lucifer that took over the governance of Abia state,so as to imporvrish the people therein,untill i was able to understand that,T.A Orji,is the combination of the two,summarily tagged the "greedy luficer".

190 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Amanwulu1(m): 5:53am On Sep 22, 2014
great news. Fellow nigerians, let us encourage dem by patronizing dem. As for me Aba shoes, sandals, pam, bags all d way. I've seen, bought and used quality made in Aba in d past and it's time to go dat way again. Lets go Aba naija.

82 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by arewanationz: 5:57am On Sep 22, 2014
Impressive. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by LaRoyalHighness(f): 6:00am On Sep 22, 2014
Good one....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by macklef(m): 6:01am On Sep 22, 2014
And uld be seeing some foolish nigerians condeming ABA shoe. Person will goto market n price shoe 1k and expect quality.
The truth is, no where in the world will you get quality items at a drastical low price.
Aba boys well done.

79 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by boix(m): 6:08am On Sep 22, 2014
The only difference this shoe has with the foreign one is the "made in Nigeria" nice work but I think there should be innovatiions on trying to make it more durable.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by weezii(m): 6:16am On Sep 22, 2014
Truth is, made-in-Aba shoes lasts longer than most "italian or foreign" shoes we get in boutiques these days. Nigeria simply needs to harness what it has on time

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Kemy11(m): 6:27am On Sep 22, 2014
Aba boyz i hail una

29 Likes

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by gratiaeo(m): 6:27am On Sep 22, 2014
A large percentage of Nigeria are wearing made in Aba products some without known

97 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by wecan: 6:44am On Sep 22, 2014
God bless Aba for boys. Prosperity on their own without the support from the Government both federal and state

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by 2cato: 6:44am On Sep 22, 2014
Moving nigeria forward is a collective effort by everybody whether Yoruba igbo and awusa/fulani

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by egift(m): 6:52am On Sep 22, 2014
Nice. Aba is grossly untapped. I had hoped the State Government would have done far more by now:
- Provide electricity
- Build the roads
- Provide Water
- Increase security
- Expand Housing development
- Provide capital to new and existing businesses to help the boost production.
- Build multipurpose factories where certain regular operations requiring heavy machines can be done.
- Setup Recycling plant within the state, etc.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by asha80(m): 6:56am On Sep 22, 2014
egift: Nice. Aba is grossly untapped. I had hoped the State Government would have done far more by now:
- Provide electricity
- Build the roads
- Provide Water
- Increase security
- Expand Housing development
- Provide capital to new and existing businesses to help the boost production.
- Build multipurpose factories where certain regular operations requiring heavy machines can be done.
- Setup Recycling plant within the state, etc.
nice points except govt does not build factories.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Exjoker(m): 6:58am On Sep 22, 2014
Good news buh the makers deserve a better life...those that mean makin shoes isnt profitable or what?

2 Likes

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by nyabingi(m): 7:00am On Sep 22, 2014
Let me just let out some Aba traders secrets, do you know than large tons of made in aba shoes and clothes are daily shiped to the middle east i.e Dubai, Europe and other African countries, Nigerians who travel over ther still buy these products more than 300% the cost in Aba, the truth is that these guys make so much money through these trade secrets, infact its hard these day for an avarage Aba shoe or fashion designer to take jobs from end users except they are willing to pay more,this is because they work day and night to meet up international demands, many igbos who returned from the mass exodus in the north are already learning the trade either as manufacturers or marketers, its a big market .

84 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by egift(m): 7:02am On Sep 22, 2014
asha80: nice points except govt does not build factories.
There is nothing wrong with building say a Rubber Recycling plant that generates revenue in the state through any of the relevant Ministries. Build and sell it. Even a Public-Private Partnership - Since it is something that will boost economic and industrial activities for the various small businesses in the state.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by ISpiksDaTroof: 7:26am On Sep 22, 2014
One million pairs a day is obviously a gross exaggeration...but then again if the amount is not inflated then the news is not coming from the South East.

23 Likes

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by FrankC3: 7:26am On Sep 22, 2014
gratiaeo: A large percentage of Nigeria are wearing made in Aba products some without known

You are right on point. Also, check those 'TM' and 'Giant' brands in your wardrobe. Are they really from foreign TM or local TM? Majority of the shoes people buy because they are Italian, those 'exotic' suites, those 'original Italian leather belt' and those specially branded 'exotic' shirts are actually as 'exotic as Aba is. I am not guessing, if you doubt me, take a trip to Aba and see how much the guy that print 'Mark and Spencer' or 'Giant' or 'TM Lewi*' labels make each day. You will be blown away as I was.

Some may argue this but fact is that same applies to most food items we consume in this country. Your 'mama Gold' rice is actually produced and bagged somewhere in Jigawa or Abakaliki, your Italian marble is cast somewhere around Ikeja and many other such products.

The more important question is what forces Nigerian SMEs to have to change the brand on the goods they produce to the name of a foreign brand so that they can penetrate the market. The answer to this will reveal the sickness, mental corruption and hypocrisy on the middle and upper class.

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by goldfish80(m): 7:38am On Sep 22, 2014
It's long overdue these made in Nigeria shoes, cloths and bags are properly tagged MADE IN NAIJA or PROUDLY NAIJA. Top government officials like the president and Nigerian celebrities who have broken the frontiers in the International scene should champion this course. We just can't keep producing beautiful shoes and tagging them made in Italy. It sickens me when I see such.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by asadike(f): 7:47am On Sep 22, 2014
Dats d igbo spirit,aba di go di 2much.

21 Likes

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Mogidi: 7:49am On Sep 22, 2014
goldfish80: It's long overdue these made in Nigeria shoes, cloths and bags are properly tagged MADE IN NAIJA or PROUDLY NAIJA. Top government officials like the president and Nigerian celebrities who have broken the frontiers of the International should champion this course. We just can't keep on producing beautiful shoes and tagging them made in Italy. It sickens me when I see such.

Its a marketing ploy, time will come when they would write made in Nigeria on their products.

History has shown that the Japanese and the Chinese started with imitation products, look where they are now.

12 Likes

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by bright8(m): 7:58am On Sep 22, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: One million pairs a day is obviously a gross exaggeration...but then again if the amount is not inflated then the news is not coming from the South East.
Jealous never do well!! Stagnant f00l!

78 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by CyberWolf: 7:59am On Sep 22, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof: One million pairs a day is obviously a gross exaggeration...but then again if the amount is not inflated then the news is not coming from the South East.
Anu mpama...uncircumcised pig angry

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Ohamadike42: 7:59am On Sep 22, 2014
You are saying its exaggeration, do you know how that the manufacturers of this shoes are in thousands? If you wanna know just go to bakassi at Aba to verify Mazi Sam's claim. For we Aba boys this is not news because we know about it for ages and the shoes they produce are of standard quality and design.

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Donmarrius: 8:10am On Sep 22, 2014
The Japan of African!

26 Likes

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by aryzgreat: 8:16am On Sep 22, 2014
The day I respect ABA was when an ABA tailor sew suit for me, people were asking me where I bought d Italian suit from. Trust me I have to enjoy d euphoria and swag by hyping the suit. Only me , d tailor and God know d ' Italian suit was ABA made.

I wish Abia will vote in a visionary leader to harness d potentials in that state.

116 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by kel4soft: 8:40am On Sep 22, 2014
I have a special tailor that makes my clothes for me at Aba. Those guys are genius. I can make close to 15 clothes at once there ranging from shirts to my etibo. But, for now I don't patronise their shoes and jeans cos they are still way below standard, that may change soonest if this topic is anything to go by.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by kel4soft: 8:46am On Sep 22, 2014
Donmarrius: I have been longing for this.

Truth is that,its only Abia and Anambra,that can give Lagos a run for her money.

The administrations in Anambra starting from Obi to Obiano,are actually getting it right,but more needs to be done.

While in Abia,i was thinking Orji Uzor was either suffering from greed and hence,kept the state fund to himself or he is lucifer that took over the governance of Abia state,so as to imporvrish the people therein,untill i was able to understand that,T.A Orji,is the combination of the two,summarily tagged the "greedy luficer".

Even before Peter Obi came to power or the creation of Anambra State, Onitsha has always been a commercial city. Why are you now giving Peter Obi the credit and when his city was not mentioned here. After seeing the Anambra low IGR at the end of 2013 compare to Kwara State, then something is wrong with the former Governor.

4 Likes

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Abagworo(m): 8:47am On Sep 22, 2014
What I've always said is that all Aba needs is good roads and "beautification" to prosper. Aba is actually the 2nd richest city in Nigeria after Port Harcourt before Lagos which comes 3rd and that is without functional Government presence.

The 1st private power plant has long been completed in Aba and the usual Igbo politics of businessman vs intellect is keeping it under lock. Igbos are busy looking for a fault in Okorocha while Emeka Offor is holding down geometric power limited. For the records geometric power was permitted and construction took off during Obasanjo tenure as the 1st private power generation company in addition to 2 owned by Rivers State Government.

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE / i Will Give 3 Nairalanders My Life Changing Import Guide For Free. Ends In Hrs!! / Elon Musk Wants To Buy Coco-Cola To 'Put The Cocaine Back In'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.