Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,501 members, 7,808,849 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:54 PM

Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs (56033 Views)

Fraudsters Apprehended At First Bank In Aba While Trying To Scam A Woman- Photos / Nigeria’s Cashew Export Hits N49.7bn / Made-in-Aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by kettykin: 2:29pm On Sep 22, 2014
Guk:

Why do they have to give Lagos a run for her money? Is there a competition? Is there a prize to be won? There are loads of people who thrive in other towns in Nigeria with no tie or whatsoevr to Lagos. Let each location tap & maximize its own resources rather than creating imaginary competition.
Aba economy is actually be bigger than Lagos economy in the long run , no offence meant by it , Aba produces more than 1 Million shoes daily which if priced at between N3000 to N10000 would mean N4b to N10B changing hands in Aba on a daily basis this gives us a rough estimate of between N1440 B to N4000B changing hands in aba per annum , where as lagos has a GDP of $100B or N17000 , if other businesses in Aba is added Aba would be roughly grossing more than N14000 B changing hands per annum where as lagos with all its glory and federal government inputs and patronage is just managing a whopping N17000B GDP Aba a city without federal government support , aid , input with no sea port or river port , no international airport , not even a state capital or regional capital or federal capital or a federal commercial capital is avergaing between N4000B to N10000B on its shoe industry alone

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by kettykin: 2:30pm On Sep 22, 2014
iwonbaoko:
Where do you get the numbers of the shoemakers from? What is the source of that information
i can give you a United nations report UNIDO report about the Aba cluster if you request for it
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by felifeli: 2:30pm On Sep 22, 2014
aroleodua:

even Nike with production factories all over the globe makes only 200,000 shoes daily.

omo you go fear lies! cheesy

no factories and less resources but these people still dey tell lies. cheesy
I wonder o. To Omoyibo 1000 and 1 million na de same tin as he no go school grin grin
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Nobody: 2:31pm On Sep 22, 2014
kettykin:
i can give you a United nations report UNIDO report about the Aba cluster if you request for it
I asked a very specific question,Sir. Can you answer please
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by browncool(m): 2:32pm On Sep 22, 2014
Donmarrius: I have been longing for this.

Truth is that,its only Abia and Anambra,that can give Lagos a run for her money.

The administrations in Anambra starting from Obi to Obiano,are actually getting it right,but more needs to be done.

While in Abia,i was thinking Orji Uzor was either suffering from greed and hence,kept the state fund to himself or he is lucifer that took over the governance of Abia state,so as to imporvrish the people therein,untill i was able to understand that,T.A Orji,is the combination of the two,summarily tagged the "greedy luficer".
I wish I could like your comment twice, good one bro.
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by stechi(m): 2:32pm On Sep 22, 2014
Normality: -------Satellite town, I don forget d name.
u mean Trade Fair?
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 2:33pm On Sep 22, 2014
Welcome to my world. Proud Abians join me to sing Popopogene ogene ogenege.
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by franconian: 2:33pm On Sep 22, 2014
iwonbaoko:
Where do you get the numbers of the shoemakers from? What is the source of that information

That's the problem with Nigerians - always deceiving ourselves with false reasoning. Imagine his estimate....50 to 100k!
It's like someone telling me the world population is about 7 to 14k. The range is just too wide abeg!
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by silverspring4ev(f): 2:34pm On Sep 22, 2014
Those guys are realy talented and hardworking. I used 2 visit Aba during my uni days and d truth is dat,there's nothing of any quality dat u cannot find in there...but they should aim at projecting their own brand instead of using other designer's name. BTW,70% of Nigerians uses Aba made products unknwowing to them.

1 Like

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 22, 2014
kettykin:
I think you mixed up a lot of things with your comment, first is that Nike is a specialized shoe company which limits itselt to the following (Athletic footwear and apparel, sport equipments and other athletic and recreational products) where as Aba makes all classes of shoes , for all ages and gender, secondly is you mistook factories and giant manufacturing outfits for shoe making purposes where as all that it needed is the cluster layout for businesses which each cluster producing special parts of the shoes like the sole, buckles, lases etc, thirdly is having to use your limited world view to visualize Aba and imagine Aba cannot produce 1 Million shoes daily for export.

for your benefit a rough estimate of the number of shoe makers in Aba is between 50000 to 100000 and with each making and an average of 20 to 50 shoes daily. what this means is that from shoes alone Aba has N4b to N10B changing hands daily which if properly harnessed would over take Lagos GDP which someone put at roughly N100B/Annum
and the estimate of 1 millions shoes is actually an underestimation but a safe estimate

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

ur aba sells more footwear than a nike with customers across the globe abi? cheesy

ibo man has never been good with numbers, he just pulls them out of his scrotum to massage his ego.

1million ko 10billion ni.
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 22, 2014
franconian:

That's the problem with Nigerians - always deceiving ourselves with false reasoning. Imagine his estimate....50 to 100k!
It's like someone telling me the world population is about 7 to 14k. The range is just too wide abeg!
Well I am not calling him a liar,I am just asking politely that he tells us the source of these figures
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by kettykin: 2:36pm On Sep 22, 2014
iwonbaoko: I asked a very specific question,Sir. Can you answer please

I go the the estimate from UNIDO report on Aba shoe cluster
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 22, 2014
kettykin:

I go the the estimate from UNIDO report on Aba shoe cluster
Can you share this with us please
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by nigerianvenom(m): 2:38pm On Sep 22, 2014
asha80: if they put made in aba many people may not buy....so they put made in italy because of our colomentality...we should blame ourselves not the shoemakers

Thats not true.why do nigerians prefer nigerian music nowadays?
Why do nigerians prefer nigerian cables to foreign made cables?
Why ?
D reason people were and still affraid of aba was that they do compromised on quality and that is a great turn off to people including u.if u have a brand and it is good,promote it and trust me,nigerians will patronise it.dont forget we nigerians are natural sympathetic to ourselves and dat goes a long way to help.most people are using glo not because it is d best,but because its own by a nigerian.
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
felifeli:
I wonder o. To Omoyibo 1000 and 1 million na de same tin as he no go school grin grin

90% of abuja is ibo.
70% of lagos is ibo.
95% of kano is ibo.

and now this one. i tire for this people. Hopefully they won't disgrace us one day. imagine making 1million hand made shoes daily, they will need the whole of ibo land to achieve that.
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by kettykin: 2:40pm On Sep 22, 2014
iwonbaoko: Can you share this with us please

http://www.unido.org/fileadmin/import/32799_BergRep1a.pdf

Based on the above figures the total workforce in the Aba clusters 7 zones is about 92,000
people. This would mean that the total of people depending their livelihood on this cluster is
around 700,000 people.

this was before the shoe cluster was reorganized and reinvigorated around 2001 to 2003

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by basilo101: 2:41pm On Sep 22, 2014
Konquest:

@ Abagworo

Hope you know that Lagos has a GDP of $100 Billion out of Nigeria's $509 Billion GDP.

So what is Aba's GDP to make it the 2nd richest city after PH that you quoted in your post above? undecided undecided

GDP per capita
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by ketoprofen(m): 2:42pm On Sep 22, 2014
GodMode:

Rubbish comment.

They make those shoes and slippers in Lagos.

See this one.
Even the ones made in Lagos are done by Aba people.

1 Like

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 22, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Wow. I never knew Mocasin shoes were Aba made. Before I left Nigeria last year I bought 2 pairs of Mocasin shoes and these shoes are of superb quality. I still wear them till today and they are still as strong as I bought them. These shoes I wear as dress(corporate) shoes here.
Yeah. Sebago? Its made with genuine leather and sole. I don't do moccasin anyway. I like loafers or any casual shoe.

Why would abagworo make such comments that PH boys don't buy aba made goods? Very big lie. I lived in PH for over 9years. Virtually lived in 4local govt area including obio/akpor and phalga. Tell that dude to wake up

1 Like

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 22, 2014
kettykin:

for your benefit a rough estimate of the number of shoe makers in Aba is between 50000 to 100000 and with each making and an average of 20 to 50 shoes daily. what this means is that from shoes alone Aba has N4b to N10B changing hands daily which if properly harnessed would over take Lagos GDP which someone put at roughly N100B/Annum
and the estimate of 1 millions shoes is actually an underestimation but a safe estimate
I have searched and the report I found

http://archive2.uonbi.ac.ke/faculties/ids_old/acfrn/Admin/downloads/Footwear_Cluster_Nigeria_Study.pdf
says this on PAGE 4
More than thirty per cent of footwear products are unof
ficially exported from this cluster whose
core is a network of artisans and small enter
prises, co-existing with medium enterprises
and employing some 5,000 master artisans and 10,000 apprentices.

As you can see there is an intolerable discrepancy so perhaps you can tell us where you got your figures

The report talked of about 15 million pairs annually which for me works out at 50000 shoes a day roughly .
Now this was in 2006 8 years ago so much might have changed in 8 years I agree but I do not think those numbers of shoemakers can be trained in that period
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by basilo101: 2:47pm On Sep 22, 2014
iwonbaoko:
Why must it come to this ? Abia and Anambra doing well is good news but they are not the only ones different parts of the country have their own advantages whether it be water in Cross River Akwa Ibom Rivers and Ondo, Palm Oil in Edo Cattle from the Nort etc there are opportunities ALL OVER Nigeria. As of today the truth is that Abia and Anambra are still very much behind Non oil states like Ogun Oyo,Kano,Kaduna,Edo,Osun ,Benue and Osun in terms of GDP. As a matter of fact in the SE Imo state is way ahead of Anambra state and Abia in terms of economic output and is quite capable of competing with Lagos so I don't agree that Abia or Anambra are in any way bigger economies than those states listed above
the difrence bw Abia/anambra and d oda state u mentioned is the word "INDIGENOUS".

1 Like

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
basilo101:
the difrence bw Abia/anambra and d oda state u mentioned is the word "INDIGENOUS".
Your witticism is wasted on me sir. What is your point??
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by kettykin: 2:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
iwonbaoko:
I have searche and the report I found

http://archive2.uonbi.ac.ke/faculties/ids_old/acfrn/Admin/downloads/Footwear_Cluster_Nigeria_Study.pdf
says this on PAGE 4
More than thirty per cent of footwear products are unof
ficially exported from this cluster whose
core is a network of artisans and small enter
prises, co-existing with medium enterprises
and employing some 5,000 master artisans and 10,000 apprentices.
As you can see there is an intolerable discrepancy so perhaps you can tell us where you got your figures

The report talked of about 15 million pairs annually which for me works out at 50000 shoes a day roughly .
Now this was in 2006 8 years ago so much might have changed in 8 years I agree but I do not think those numbers of shoemakers can be trained in that period

the article you are bandying about was written by 2 yorubas how will it compare or be more authentic when compared to an article produced by UNIDO

2 Likes

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Guk: 2:49pm On Sep 22, 2014
kettykin:
Aba economy is actually be bigger than Lagos economy in the long run , no offence meant by it , Aba produces more than 1 Million shoes daily which if priced at between N3000 to N10000 would mean N4b to N10B changing hands in Aba on a daily basis this gives us a rough estimate of between N1440 B to N4000B changing hands in aba per annum , where as lagos has a GDP of $100B or N17000 , if other businesses in Aba is added Aba would be roughly grossing more than N14000 B changing hands per annum where as lagos with all its glory and federal government inputs and patronage is just managing a whopping N17000B GDP Aba a city without federal government support , aid , input with no sea port or river port , no international airport , not even a state capital or regional capital or federal capital or a federal commercial capital is avergaing between N4000B to N10000B on its shoe industry alone

Honestly, i do not understand the Fixation or Comparison with Lagos? What does Abia's GDP have to do with Lagos GDP? What benefit is the size of either states economy to you or I in this matter? If Abia is thriving, thats excellent, thats the desire of every human being. Growth that will translate to good life of its citizen(s) and others but arguing and fighting over whos "farm" is bigger than the other profits no one

3 Likes

Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by GodMode: 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2014
ketoprofen:

See this one.
Even the ones made in Lagos are done by Aba people.

I didn't write that they aren't made by aba people see what your tribalEAST mentality is doing to u...

Infact most shoe-makers in lagos are Hausas.

The point is: they are made in SW.
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2014
kettykin:

the article you are bandying about was written by 2 yorubas how will it compare or be more authentic when compared to an article produced by UNIDO
Bandying about? Yorubas? lol. Why are you talking like this.? Okay please bring a non Yoruba report I asked you several times and googled what you said.The so called YORUBA article was one of the first search results.Please provide any alternatives. All I am interested in is your source of information
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 22, 2014
From last year statistics nike sold ova 100 million foot wears and wen u put into consideration that the cheapest of these shoes is over $20 that's around 4000 nike had a revenue of over $10 billion last year on foot wears. But u knw globalization most of their factory workers in chaina vietnam earn less than $400 a month. If the aba guys can increase their output and quality they have a potential 50 million customers in nigeria alone.
As for lagos it is the largest earner by a large margin. Take for instance the lekki toll gate generates 15 million naira per day take a look. http://www.punchng.com/feature/lcc-makes-n15m-a-day-on-lekki-toll-gate-investigation/
That is probably half of the tax revenue the aba market generates per day. The average biz office in VI pays over 500k per anum when on various govt task and I can tel u there are thousand of bussiness of the island. Let's put it at a paltry 5000 bizs u know how much that is the truth lagos is the most covered ur Gold mine in govt. I can tell you that only 1/3 of the revenue is reported.
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 22, 2014
kettykin:

According to this UNIDO report

Approxima
the combined production of
footwear and leather goods is 75,000 pieces/day.

http://www.unido.org/fileadmin/import/32799_BergRep1a.pdf

The author is NOT YORUBA

Will you be kind enough to share the UNIDO report that you made reference to earlier please?
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Ikwokrikwo: 2:57pm On Sep 22, 2014
kettykin:
Can't you fools just talk about Aba and leave Lagos out of it?
You disgrace Igbos with this attitude. What is special about lagos that u must use it as your benchmark? let Aba be the best it can be.
fool
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by letonB(f): 2:57pm On Sep 22, 2014
I hope there will be a cobbler in those countries to do 'sow-round'
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by kettykin: 2:58pm On Sep 22, 2014
iwonbaoko:
Bandying about? Yorubas? lol. Why are you talking like this.? Okay please bring a non Yoruba report I asked you several times and googled what you said.The so called YORUBA article was one of the first search results.Please provide any alternatives. All I am interested in is your source of information

UNIDO report http://www.unido.org/fileadmin/import/32799_BergRep1a.pdf
Re: Made-in-aba Shoe Daily Export Hits 1m Pairs by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 22, 2014
stechi:
u mean Trade Fair?

E be like, d one nearer to Article Market.

E don tey, I don forget.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

On Going BVN Scam-even The Most Cautious Person Will Fall For This One. BEWARE / i Will Give 3 Nairalanders My Life Changing Import Guide For Free. Ends In Hrs!! / Elon Musk Wants To Buy Coco-Cola To 'Put The Cocaine Back In'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.