Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks (29461 Views)

Saraki Commissions Remodelled Senate Press Centre In Abuja (photos) / Pictures Of All Remodelled Airports Across The Country / Pictures Of The Remodelled Benin Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by simpleseyi: 6:35am On Sep 22, 2014
With an outlandish expenditure of N174bn, the government had aimed to bring the nation’s airports at par with their counterparts in the developed world, but passengers who use the busiest of the facilities in Lagos are not impressed with the work done so far, UDEME EKWERE writes

Passengers who regularly use the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos are not impressed with the state of facilities at the nation’s gateway despite the multi-billion naira remodelling carried out on the airport and others across the country.

The passengers are particularly not happy because of the high level of discomfort they are experiencing at the edifice.

It was gathered that some of the new facilities were no longer functioning properly, while others had falling into a state of disrepair.

For instance, passengers complained that the air-conditioning system at the arrival hall of the MMIA now worked abnormally, and that visitors coming into the country were being confronted with embarrassing heat at the lounge and up to the immigration point.

They also alleged that some parts of the roof were leaking, especially whenever it rained.

The recently fixed toilets, the passengers lamented, had become faulty as those, who wanted to make use of the conveniences, were being confronted with unpleasant sights.

Some of the passengers, who spoke in separate interviews with our correspondent, decried the failing facilities at the airport, adding that it was too soon for it to be in a bad shape after the much touted remodelling.

They said that having spent huge sums of tax payers’ funds to restructure the airport, it should not be uncomfortable for users.

A passenger, who just returned from Dubai, Mr. Isaac Femina, said he was disappointed that some of the facilities at the airport were returning to their old state.

He said, “I really don’t know why things do not work well in this country. It has not been long since we were talking about the huge amount of money spent on remodelling the airport; and now, you’ll notice that some facilities are not in proper working order.

“For example, the walkway belt, the one that propels you to move faster at the arrival lounge is not working anymore; if you get on it now, it is as if you are just walking on the bare floor. This should not be; it is too soon.”

Mr. Kunle Stephen, a businessman who shuttles between Lagos and the United Kingdom, said apart from the fact that there were some spots where the roof was leaking, the air-conditioning units around the luggage area were not working well.

Stephen said, “It is quite unfortunate, because you just see on paper that so much has been spent on repairs yet it doesn’t seem like anything is working. Imagine the ACs that should be the first thing that should work well are not. The other day, it was raining here in Nigeria when we got in and some parts of the roof were leaking! To say the least, I was embarrassed.

“To make matters worse, I came to Lagos with my spouse sometime last month and she had to use the toilet on arrival. But she ran out a few seconds later, saying she would manage till we get to town, because the whole place was leaking and there was water on the floor; it is really sad.”

Another passenger, Mrs. Toluwalase Jacob, said that even though she was a little impressed by some of the noticeable changes at the airport, she hoped the issue of the air-conditioning system would be sorted out soon.

She said, “Well, I think there have been some improvements with the work that has gone on here, because when I came in to Nigeria from London late last year, the situation was really terrible.

“It seems a little better now, but I hope they will look into the issue of the air-conditioning system so that the air will not feel so polluted all the time.”

A top official of the Aviation ministry, who did not want his name mentioned because he was not authorised to speak on the issue, said that it was not unusual for some of the infrastructure to wear out after a while, because of continuous usage.

He said, “Of course, you can’t expect the facilities to remain just the way they were because people are making use of them every day, and you know that some people are not very careful in their handling of public property.

“Also, it is important for you to know that the work is not done yet at the airport; it is still ongoing; there are still a few things that need to be put in place, and when it is done, I am sure that the passengers and airport users will be more comfortable than they are at present.”

Commenting on the development, the spokesperson, Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, Mr. Yakubu Dati, said some construction work was still ongoing at the airport, which could have accounted for some of the difficulties that passengers were experiencing at the moment.

He said that on completion, users of the airport would not face as much inconvenience as they were currently encountering.

Dati said, “We are constructing the upper walkway at the arrival hall and the leakage is due to the construction work at the upper deck. When completed, the upper and lower decks will serve the arriving and departing passengers, respectively.

“That way, arriving and departing passengers will not meet as is presently the case. We apologise for the inconveniences this is causing.”

Over N174bn has been spent by the Federal Government on airport remodelling across the country in the last three years.

Following the removal of the former Minister of Aviation, Ms. Stella Oduah, there had been fears that the projects, which she initiated, would be abandoned due to inadequate funding.

However, the then Supervising Minister of Aviation, Dr. Samuel Ortom, had assured Nigerians that the ministry was making adequate efforts to ensure that the projects were completed within the stipulated period.

He had said, “I want to assure Nigerians that the projects will be completed. The projects are part of the aviation master plan dully approved by the Federal Executive Council. Every single project that was started in the phase one, two and three of the remodelling plan will be completed. It is a matter of stepping up our revenue generation.

“We have massive opportunities and if we are able to close the gap, we will generate enough revenue, and with additional funding from the Federal Government, we will execute the projects. I want to allay the fears of Nigerians that the projects won’t be abandoned. The debts and commitment are there but you can see the massive work going on in the aviation industry today.

“That justifies the N174bn debt. Remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day and there is no way we think we can generate this money within a week. But we intend not to embark on new projects so we can concentrate our energies and ensure we complete the projects started by my predecessor.”

SOURCE: http://www.punchng.com/news/remodelled-lagos-airports-air-conditioners-fail-roof-leaks/

3 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Johnpaul2k2(m): 6:43am On Sep 22, 2014
LASG and Punch Newspaper are just some piece of sh!!t angry

so, they cannot renovate the roof and changes the AC?

why asking stella name? Sometimes i wonder where all these "dirty politics" will lead APshit into?

81 Likes 6 Shares

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by SafetyFirst(m): 6:45am On Sep 22, 2014
good
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Nobody: 6:46am On Sep 22, 2014
Ain't surprised @ all,Nigeria has bin using low quality products since 1943,menh way bac,even b4 d civil war grin grin grin

13 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by constance500: 6:46am On Sep 22, 2014
Only in Nigeria

11 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Chanchit: 6:46am On Sep 22, 2014
So having a beautiful air port is now rocket science for Nigerian government. When other countries are now shifting from building airport to train stations.
No problem, if you can't fix d AC, go get handfan, so people will start helping themselves out.

50 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by iceberylin(m): 6:46am On Sep 22, 2014
God Bless Naija cry

3 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by eleojo23: 6:46am On Sep 22, 2014
One thing we have to learn in this country is the culture of maintenance. One doesn't just build and think that the job is over. Maintenance is key.

Also, people should learn to handle public property with care. I'm sure that one of the things that make the toilets an unpleasant sight apart from the leaking roof, may be failure of people to flush them after use. That's a habit that one notices when people use such facilities. It's not good behaviour.

25 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Swagavillage(m): 6:46am On Sep 22, 2014
Naija guy banging 2 Ghana girls and he leaks the video online, download here

READ HERE http://l4u.in/AOPdc
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by gift01: 6:47am On Sep 22, 2014
chai... What will TAN use for their next advert

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by realone2012: 6:47am On Sep 22, 2014
angryI came here to come and look at the pictures. Its too early to be reading this long report when I'm not a journalist.

BUT PEOPLE ARE WICKED OO

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by sammieguze(m): 6:48am On Sep 22, 2014
Fake job done.

They ought to be taking warranty from those contractors sef. An agreement to make sure they repair any defect to their executed project if any in a given time. Maybe that will curb the usage of fake materials in the execution of their projects

6 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by musocious: 6:48am On Sep 22, 2014
Lemme comment first, will read it later grin

2 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by seedord247(m): 6:48am On Sep 22, 2014
Odua bulletproof leaking grin

7 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by habex050: 6:48am On Sep 22, 2014
They were busy spending money on the looks of the airport that is not properly maintained. Human maintenance is neccessary

2 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by RockMaxi: 6:48am On Sep 22, 2014
Leave Stella out of this. She has done her best, the new administration should do a turn around maintenance and investigate the contractors involved.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by DAIL(m): 6:48am On Sep 22, 2014
Front page
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by TRADELYN: 6:48am On Sep 22, 2014
grin grin grin

Thank GoD say that one never collapse sef...

2 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Blazing99: 6:48am On Sep 22, 2014
The contractors that get these jobs should be investigated. Greed is one of Nigeria's major issues. We don't mind giving low quality to maximize profit.

8 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Iykebestbt(m): 6:49am On Sep 22, 2014
Only in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Bryancrox(m): 6:49am On Sep 22, 2014
D contractor was given enough money,but he decided 2 use substandard materials because of greed...What an international disgrace.

4 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Iceking1(m): 6:49am On Sep 22, 2014
Hehe
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by daben1(m): 6:49am On Sep 22, 2014
2015 election is around the corner, i'm not surprised anyway because the election has gotten into their head and it's now their priority
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by danaiks(m): 6:50am On Sep 22, 2014
Oohh....my dear country. God Help Us cry
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by otokx(m): 6:51am On Sep 22, 2014
Port Harcourt Airport has long been abandoned, the depatures is below 50% with no airconditioning while the arrival is 1%.

Up Stella.

8 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by femmy2010(m): 6:51am On Sep 22, 2014
Johnpaul2k2: LASG and Punch Newspaper are just some piece of sh!!t angry

so, they cannot renovate the roof and changes the AC?

why asking stella name? Sometimes i wonder where all these "dirty politics" will lead APshit into?

is their not a body charged solely with maintaining the airport facility?
Must you attach party sentiment to everything?Haba

18 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Nobody: 6:52am On Sep 22, 2014
Johnpaul2k2: LASG and Punch Newspaper are just some piece of sh!!t angry

so, they cannot renovate the roof and changes the AC
Comon sense is not comon
Is it the prerogative of Punch news paper and the Lagos state government to renovate a federal airport.

Below is the present condition of the Enugu airport that was built during the ministerial administration of STEALER oduah. I guess you would also ask the Enugu state government to renovate it

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by Otunbab: 6:52am On Sep 22, 2014
Y can't lagos just have the best airport in Africa?

2 Likes

Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by mondee02(m): 6:52am On Sep 22, 2014
Ok i don hear am!
Re: STELLA WONDER - Remodelled Lagos Airport’s Air-conditioners Fail, Roof Leaks by honeyad(m): 6:52am On Sep 22, 2014
I remember taking this pics one time when it was raining... Politics in Nigeria is all about enriching pockets... Smh

24 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Crises In Jos, Police Station Burnt - Photos / Akpo Bomba Yeeh Decamps To PDP, Dumps APC / ‎Boko Haram: Israel Steps Into The Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.