Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,216 members, 7,780,405 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:42 PM

2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo (1356 Views)

Breaking: Court Urged To Stop Jonathan From Running / Achievements Of The Jonathan/Sambo Administration In Pictures / Court Refuses To Stop Jonathan’s Impeachment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by GowonAbacha: 7:43am On Sep 22, 2014
Declare your ambition now or face legal action, group tells president

A Federal High Court in Abuja has been asked to restrain the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from fielding President Goodluck Jonathan and his deputy, Namadi Sambo as presidential and vice-presidential candidates in the forthcoming 2015 presidential election.
The plaintiffs, Mase Daphine Acho, Saeeq Umar Sarki (both lawyers) and Murtala Abubakar, said that Jonathan and Sambo were ineligible to be elected president and vice-president respectively.
This came as a political pressure group under the aegis of Operation Quarantine Ebola Political Parties-Jonathan/Sambo Tag-Team for 2015 (OQEPP/JSTT) has given Jonathan up till two weeks to declare his aspiration for next year’s election or face a legal action.
Jonathan, Sambo, PDP and the Independent National Electoral Commissioner (INEC) were named as 1st to 4th defendants in the suit.
The suit was filed on September 19.
The plaintiffs’ lawyers, Mustapha Ibrahim, Mr. Abdul Mohammed and Aliyu Lemu, argued that by virtue of the Supreme Court’s decision in Marwa vs Nyako (2012) 6 NWLR (Part 1296) at 199, both Jonathan and Sambo are not qualified to be elected as president and vice-president respectively.
According to them, Jonathan and Sambo are caught by the provisions of the constitution, which state that no person can stay in office of the president and vice-president for a period beyond a period of eight years.
They said: “The current holders of the offices of the president and the vice-president, at the expiration of their current terms in office would have held their respective office for a period of five years.
They stated that Jonathan and Sambo had held office for two terms recognised by the 1999 Constitution to wit: (i) the first term was held to conclude the un-expired term of the late president, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua between May 6, 2010 to May 29, 2011; (ii) the second term is still being served from May 29, 2011 to May 29, 2015.
The plaintiffs asked the court to declare that Jonathan and Sambo do not have the capacity to serve as president and vice-president respectively for another term of four years after the completion of their current terms in office in view of the combined effect of the provisions of sections 135(2) (a) and 137(b) of the constitution.
They further asked the court to declare that Jonathan and Sambo having already spent five years in office as president and vice-president respectively are not eligible to contest for the office of president and vice-president for another term of four years thereby amounting to a contravention of the combined provisions of sections 135(2) (a) and 137(b) of the Constitution.
Other reliefs sought by the plaintiffs are: A declaration that the first oath of office subscribed to by Jonathan on May 6, 2010, being the oath of office administered to him to occupy the office of president for the purpose of completing the un-expired term of office of the late President (Umar Musa) Yar’Adua must be taken into cognisance in computing the number of years that he has served and can serve as president, in determining the effect of the combined provisions of sections 135(2) (a) and 137(1)(b) of the Constitution.
An order of the court restraining INEC from recognising Jonathan and Sambo as presidential and vice presidential candidates of the PDP or any other political party for the 2015 presidential elections.
The plaintiffs claimed that allowing Jonathan and Sambo to contest in the 2015 elections would amount to a breach of the 1999 Constitution, which they swore to uphold.
They said that the intervention of the court was required for an interpretation of the provisions of the 1999 Constitution.
According to them, it will be a colossal waste of resources to allow Jonathan and Sambo to run even when they were ineligible to contest.
The defendants are yet to file their defence to the suit.
Meanwhile, the OQEPP/JSTT explained that it was dangerous for the president to be complacent in his approach by keeping silent on his ambition.
The group also argued that it was wise to make hay, while the ovation is loudest or to hit the nail while the iron is hot, pointing out that the best time to speak up is now.
Interim Director of Mobilisation of the group, Mallam Al-Mustapha Usman, issued the ultimatum on behalf of the group in a statement made available to journalists in Kano yesterday after its meeting in Benin City at the weekend.
The statement said it was unfair for president to keep his supporters in the dark, saying the silence was capable of causing heart problems and grave disappointments to Nigerians if he continues to remain silent over the issue of national importance.
It insists that “it is even worse for some of us who are his ardent followers, as we have become a laughing stock for staking our neck for him while he keep silent with the PDP primaries around the corner and the general election in a couple of months.”
The statement further revealed that, it was high time for Jonathan to break his silence, not just because the PDP would soon organise its primaries, which of course would have him contest against himself, the group is also keen on who he picks as his running mate.
He disclosed that OQEPP/JSTT was prepared to mobilise over 90 per cent of those registered by INEC to vote in the forthcoming general poll to ensure he is re-elected alongside his deputyAlhaji Namadi Sambo.
On whether General Muhammadu Buhari or former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar cannot displace Jonathan, the statement revealed that the issue is not whether they are qualified to rule the country or not, but that who is more qualified, adding that the incumbent has the prerequisite of a good leader and should be allowed to continue.
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 22, 2014
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by NewDelhi(m): 8:41am On Sep 22, 2014
GEJ is the definition of failure...PDP is the definition of self deceit.

4 Likes

Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by GowonAbacha: 8:47am On Sep 22, 2014
NewDelhi: GEJ is the definition of failure...PDP is the definition of self deceit.
grin

3 Likes

Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 22, 2014
GEJ wil rule this nation til 2019 but if don't like him go and contest so dat we vote 4 u.

6 Likes

Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by GowonAbacha: 9:33am On Sep 22, 2014
em77: GEJ wil rule this nation til 2019 but if don't like him go and contest so dat we vote 4 u.
GEJ till 2019 will only occur in your dreams...I will contest only if you all can assure me of your vote. GEJ's little or no impact in this country for 4 years will be done by me in just a day. You don't want to endure another 4 years of hardship, brutality and corruption under GEJ's tyranny do you?

1 Like

Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by Rijes: 10:13am On Sep 22, 2014
We have heard u pls
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by GowonAbacha: 10:17am On Sep 22, 2014
Rijes: We have heard u pls
GEJ and PDP supporter I guess......You'll all fail and fall come 2015.
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by Rijes: 10:18am On Sep 22, 2014
GowonAbacha:
GEJ and PDP supporter I guess......You'll all fail and fall come 2015.
We don hear.... 2015 will speak
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by 1960chic(f): 10:36am On Sep 22, 2014
But what is the relationship between ebola-politics-tag team, na wrestling match?
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by GowonAbacha: 10:37am On Sep 22, 2014
Rijes:
We don hear.... 2015 will speak
Until then bro...God will keep us alive.
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by Adindupeter: 10:37am On Sep 22, 2014
Lol. Some people are already pissing on their panties.. Why is APC afraid to face the most corrupt President ever?. Is he no clueless again?. Face him at the polls and stop all these rants...

2 Likes

Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by sirjohnson(m): 10:46am On Sep 22, 2014
The lord knows I dont like Jonathan and can never like him.
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by sweetgala(m): 10:46am On Sep 22, 2014
Grand delusion , I thought we already concluded that GEJ was only completing the Yar'adua term and was eligible to run his own two terms.
He has only been voted into the office of the president once, and should be able to contest a second term if he so wishes to.

Make dem go sleep abeg angry

3 Likes

Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by GowonAbacha: 10:55am On Sep 22, 2014
sirjohnson: The lord knows I dont like Jonathan and can never like him.
You already know what to do in 2015...
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 22, 2014
GowonAbacha:
What field do you specialize in?

Economics and social sciences.
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 22, 2014
I love this President die... Ignore mode activated!
@looking4job, there currently exist vacancies in the campaign teams for GEJ 2015, though it would be ad hoc, the pay is worth 2 years salary of a regular job.
If you're interested, touch base with any PDP secretariat located in the state you are presently. Goodluck till 2019
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by Nobody: 1:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
Gabbysky: I love this President die... Ignore mode activated!
@looking4job, there currently exist vacancies in the campaign teams for GEJ 2015, though it would be ad hoc, the pay is worth 2 years salary of a regular job.
If you're interested, touch base with any PDP secretariat located in the state you are presently. Goodluck till 2019

Is this for real or sarcasm? Can you provide more details concerning the campaign team? Any website? Thanks
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by Amanwulu1(m): 1:52pm On Sep 22, 2014
dis is not jst cock n bull story but also cameleon and toro toro story. Well minority will have their say, majority will have their way and d judiciary authenticate what we knw. Gej till ...
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by GowonAbacha: 2:28pm On Sep 22, 2014
looking4job:

Is this for real or sarcasm? Can you provide more details concerning the campaign team? Any website? Thanks
The guy is a fraud..that shït is fake..
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by chimerase2: 3:00pm On Sep 22, 2014
Waste of time smh undecided
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 22, 2014
MUMU Lawyers looking for peanuts.
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by jennylove7575(f): 11:05am On Sep 26, 2014
Gowonabacha You are a fraud a big yahoo yahoo boy. After giving you my bb pin you think you can dupe me.
When I met you on naira land I thought you are a very nice lad. It turned out that you are a fraud. You opened this new account just to con ladies on nairaland. After which, you will be quick to accuse them that they are men. Don’t you ever ring my phone again. Don’t call me to tell me about your sick mother, I am not interested I don’t want to know. You are a very bad boy. You just choose the wrong victim. You think you can dupe me. People like you should never be on naira land you are a fraud looking for vulnerable women to prey on. God don catch you. Time to let the world knows what you truly are. i have blocked you from my bb and whatsapp. You are a fraud. All the ladies in the house beware gowonabacha is a scammer.
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by GowonAbacha: 2:47pm On Sep 26, 2014
You can never succeed in tainting my image with your blackmail you fraud. Comm'on, why should anyone in his right senses believe this piece of shît. Why choose to blackmail me with a female user when ur truly a male looking for victims to prey on all in the name of exposing you as a cyber fraud ?why should you run away from the truth you bloody scammer? Your true picture and true identity will flood this forum very soon and everyone will see the illiterate face behind the female user you are using. You are already history, ur already a gonner.
Re: 2015: Lawyers Ask Court To Stop Jonathan, Sambo by NewDelhi(m): 3:00pm On Sep 26, 2014
grin this is too funny to be true sha. I don't believe gowonabacha can be this wicked grin jennylove7575 its better you stop deceiving yourself, your write up looks like a planned work.its not realistic at all. Try harder next time.

(1) (Reply)

The New Map Of Nigeria And The New Nigerian States / Woman Steals $25k Rolex Watch And Hides It In Her Vagina: Police / Jonathan Orders SSS To Release Emir Sanusi’s Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.