Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,537 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:28 PM

Foreigners Now Rob Freely On Highways - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Foreigners Now Rob Freely On Highways (820 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Treat Foreigners Differently? / Could Foreigners Tell The History ( Benin And The Yorubas) / Why Do We Love Foreigners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Foreigners Now Rob Freely On Highways by JJYOU: 1:43pm On Nov 04, 2008
Foreigners now rob freely on highways
By Sunday Aborisade, Ibadan
Published: Tuesday, 4 Nov 2008

Armed robbers suspected to be foreigners have taken over major highways in the country unleashing terror on innocent Nigerians after dispossessing them of their valuables.

Investigations by our correspondent in the last one week revealed that the robbers were usually armed with sophisticated weapons suspected to be pump action guns.

Eye witnesses who sighted them near the Ogere Toll Gate area of the Lagos-Ibadan expressway last Wednesday explained that the men of the underworld dressed like the Arabs.

A traveller, who escaped from their attacks last week and monitored their modus operandi from a short distance, said the robbers, numbering about 20, wore police uniforms.

Recounting his experience in an interview with our correspondent, an Ibadan chief who craved anonymity, said the incident occurred between noon and 1.00pm last Wednesday.

He said, “I was on my way to Lagos last Wednesday when I sighted the robbers operating on both sides of the Road near the Ogere Toll Gate. I saw people turning. I turned too.

“One of the occupants of my vehicle jumped down immediately and hid himself in the bush, watching the activities of the robbers. He witnessed the whole drama live!

“Many of the travellers attacked were shot and wounded after the criminals carted away their valuables worth thousands of naira.

“The most painful aspect of the unfortunate development was that the robbers operated freely for one hour only for the police to surface few minutes after the robbers had gone,” he lamented.

The Ibadan Chief, who said the incidence will linger in his memory for many years to come, noted that it was his first experience since he had been travelling on the highway.

He called on the Federal Government to declare a state of emergency on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway as the lives and property of Nigerians were no longer safe on the road. http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200811042591489

Comments:

* I ve met ex arm robbers in my travelling and according to the guy and with what i see b4 he actually told me he use to be a armrobber,all he was looking for is money to supress the oppression he gets from pple that have have and are oppressive the likes of Bankole buying bullet proof cars,other pple like that .STOP the oppression and pple will work and earn money legally.

Posted by: Ade , on Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Report this comment

* hmmm 'the police arrived a few minutes (as if on cue)after the hour long robbery by robbers dressed in police uniform'. are we sure the police and the 'armed robbers dressed in police uniform' are not coordinating with each other.in other words the armed robbers are actually policemen.food for thought.

Posted by: Airlord , on Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Report this comment

* Mr IGP where are ur men. Well done all what u know how to do is to chase shadows, Leave Ribadu alone except u want the wrath of God, a word is enough 4 d wise

Posted by: Kalakuta , on Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Report this comment

* Tth problem ais that our borders are too porous,I can tell you that up to a thousand foreigners enter the country through the northern borders without proper documentation monthly at least that of Maigatari in Jigawa state .We should tighten our borders and prevent incursion of the neighbouring foreigners who will even compete for the little resources available includig employment

Posted by: BANKY , on Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Report this comment

* Answer: A FAILED STATE

Posted by: BIAFRAN POUNDS, OWERRI , on Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Report this comment

* were are the high way patrol police men?

Posted by: Aniekan , on Monday, November 03, 2008

Report this comment

* Nigerians are slaves in their own country. If you do not get killed by armed robbers, the police will get you if one refuse the N20:00 tollgate. Further the lawmakers are solving this robbery problem by purchasing N82.8million bullet-proof cars each for themselves. The civilian population are in for more mayhem on our highways.

Posted by: Edmund Mushay Ezurike , on Monday, November 03, 2008

Report this comment

* AND THIS IS THE MORE REASON WHY WE MUSTNT ALLOW BANK-OLE & HIS CO-CRIMINALS TO SOLVE ONLY THEIR OWN SECURITY PROBLEMS AND ABANDON US ALL, BY BUYING HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF NAIRA WORTH OF BULLET-PROOF VEHICLES FOR THEMSELVES. IF THEY FEEL BULLET-PROOF CARS ARE THE ONLY SOLUTION THEY HAVE TO OFFER NAIJA 4 THE INSECURITY WAHALA IN NAIJA, THEN , THEY SHLD SHARE SAME OUT TO ALL NIGERIANS. SHIKENA !

Posted by: AUSTIN NWACHUKWU , on Monday, November 03, 2008

Report this comment

* Its long happening in Agbor ,Delta state.

Posted by: oyedo , on Monday, November 03, 2008
Re: Foreigners Now Rob Freely On Highways by JJYOU: 2:15pm On Nov 04, 2008
how can foreigners out do our own home grown boys at their own game? this is serious

(1) (Reply)

Which Is African / Your Votes Are Needed Here: / Planet Eath

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.