Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,895 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. (10351 Views)

Anything Wrong With Marrying An Osu(outcast From Some Parts Of Igboland) / Laws Of Igboland (Iwu Obodo) / What Part Of Igboland Are You From. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by ChinenyeN(m): 12:06am On Oct 05, 2014
Considering all that we so far know, it seems unlikely that Adama is a separate group from Isu. Isu traditions are rather clear in that their ancestors were settled in the Nri-Awka region of Anambra before Eri elements migrated in. Their traditions (at least, those that we've so far been made aware of) are also silent about the existence of another [or other] distinct autochthonous group[s] in that axis. So, unless we've got reason enough to suspect otherwise, I'd say it's a likely bet that the Adama are also Isu.

Also, not every Isu group bears "Isu" in its place-name or uses it as a direct ethnonym. In fact, I'd venture to say that only a handful actually do, and they tend to be clustered in the southern section of the Awka-Orlu uplands. However, that's not enough to exclude the surviving autochthonous settlements in the northern section of the Awka-Orlu uplands which Isu ancestors are recognized as having settled.

Also, I'm not sure how material the following piece of information is to this discussion, but I'll include it regardless. For any who may not be aware, Isu as a collective could probably lay claim to being the one group in the Igbo area with the greatest diversity of dialects.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:10am On Oct 05, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

And how do we know that the Adama of Nri who Eri met on ground were not older than Isu?
You see,we cant be in a hurry to make conclusions here. I admit the Isu were probably there before Eri arrived but they are certainly not the only group present,as evidenced by the Adama accounts. And how do we know Isu spoke Igbo before Eri arrived. It is apparent that Eri culture spread,influenced and shaped what is known as Igbo identity,TODAY! So,how are we sure this colonization didn't go in line with Eri language, I.e Igbo language ?
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:10am On Oct 05, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

And how do we know that the Adama of Nri who Eri met on ground were not older than Isu?
You see,we cant be in a hurry to make conclusions here. I admit the Isu were probably there before Eri arrived but they are certainly not the only group present,as evidenced by the Adama accounts. And how do we know Isu spoke Igbo before Eri arrived. It is apparent that Eri culture spread,influenced and shaped what is known as Igbo identity,TODAY! So,how are we sure this colonization didn't go in line with Eri language, I.e Igbo language ?
Lol,we are not interested in Nri for now. From all accounts,Nris migrated and adopted the ways of the aboriginal people. Nobody is trying to conceal Eri's presence in igbo history.
This is about Isus,their origin and dialect.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:15am On Oct 05, 2014
ChinenyeN:
Considering all that we so far know, it seems unlikely that Adama is a separate group from Isu. Isu traditions are rather clear in that their ancestors were settled in the Nri-Awka region of Anambra before Eri elements migrated in. Their traditions (at least, those that we've so far been made aware of) are also silent about the existence of another [or other] distinct autochthonous group[s] in that axis. So, unless we've got reason enough to suspect otherwise, I'd say it's a likely bet that the Adama are also Isu.

Also, not every Isu group bears "Isu" in its place-name or uses it as a direct ethnonym. In fact, I'd venture to say that only a handful actually do, and they tend to be clustered in the southern section of the Awka-Orlu uplands. However, that's not enough to exclude the surviving autochthonous settlements in the northern section of the Awka-Orlu uplands which Isu ancestors are recognized as having settled.

Also, I'm not sure how material the following piece of information is to this discussion, but I'll include it regardless. For any who may not be aware, Isu as a collective could probably lay claim to being the one group in the Igbo area with the greatest diversity of dialects.
I kwuru ezi uka. Anyway,how are Ohuhus not Isu?
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by ChinenyeN(m): 12:24am On Oct 05, 2014
Ihuomadinihu: I kwuru ezi uka. Anyway,how are Ohuhus not Isu?

Before I respond, let's just make sure we're on the same page. Who are you speaking of when you say "Ohuhu"?
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:28am On Oct 05, 2014
ChinenyeN:
It would be presumptuous to state that the Isu speak the most ancient form of Igbo, just by virtue of their aboriginal tradition and geographical location. Isu is just one group among a list of others with an aboriginal tradition. Focusing solely on Isu and consequently neglecting others is an oversight. In fact, it is the very same oversight (or maybe purposeful blunder) that Igbo historians have been guilty of for decades now.

If anything, we can reasonably expect the Isu speech forms to have experienced their own fair share of innovation. The Isu 'homeland' is around the Awka-Orlu axis. That is where they have their autochthony. A good chunk of that region also fell within Nri sphere of influence. We can be certain that Eri elements introduced new linguistic features upon settling in the Isu homeland (as Radoillo rightly pointed out). The introduction of these new linguistic features, and the interaction with Eri elements prior to the Isu southerly expansion, would most certainly have affected Isu lects. There's no reason to believe otherwise.

We then rightly have to apply this same criteria to other groups. In doing so, we see that it is very difficult (if not impossible) to claim that so and so group speaks "the most ancient Igbo". On top everything, we must admit that we don't really know what "ancient Igbo" even is. We were having an interesting discussion about it earlier this year though, but then the NL hack wiped that wonderful discourse from the server.
Apologies for that oversight,but i've always regarded Isu as the oldest aboringals of Igbo land. Can you list the other groups with a similar tradition.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:30am On Oct 05, 2014
ChinenyeN:

Before I respond, let's just make sure we're on the same page. Who are you speaking of when you say "Ohuhu"?
Ohuhu community,Umuahia.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:55am On Oct 05, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

If at all there were ichi rituals among Isu then they must have borrowed it from the Nri.
From what I am beginning to understand,Isu were probably one of the primitive aboriginals inhabiting the lower Omanbala area. I know there were Adamas but we Nri doest have any legends about Isu like we have of Adama Nri. Basically,we dont know anything about them.
There is no account of the Ichi tradition amongst Isu Igbos. Ichi scarification was more or less popular in Anambra/Nri and probably a significant portion of Western-Igbo land. I guess everything was borrowed from Nri? I also understand that Adamas did not identify themselves as Adama, it was Eri that called them that. I also believe that Adamas and Isu are just the same group of people. The people that Eri met were the Isus/aboringals that settled around the Awka area.
In my opinion, Adama is a compound word: Ada + Ama= the first /original people of the area.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by ChinenyeN(m): 1:14am On Oct 05, 2014
Ihuomadinihu: Ohuhu community,Umuahia.

Ah okay. I can't say that I am versed on Ohuhu Umuahia traditions, but I remember reading that (according to Igbo historians) the majority of Obowu and Ohuhu villages affirm kinship and share migratory traditions. However, from what I'm told, there is a section of villages or settlements with autochthonous traditions.

I'm not sure of the exact names of these villages or settlements though. It's only something that I've heard/read, but haven't had the opportunity to really dig into. But to make things simple, I guess it could easily be said that the Ohuhu community in Umuahia is Isu, as they affirm their ancestors to have been part of the Isuama expansion.

As for other autochthonous communities in Igboland, I'm aware of a handful. They're dispersed throughout Igboland from the Adama and Awka to the Uratta in Imo, to the Ahiara and the Ezinihitte in Mbaise. I believe there are also traditions of autochthony among parts of the Oru in Imo state. Abagworo will have to help me with that (or correct me if I'm wrong).
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:51am On Oct 05, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol,we are not interested in Nri for now. From all accounts,Nris migrated and adopted the ways of the aboriginal people. Nobody is trying to conceal Eri's presence in igbo history.
This is about Isus,their origin and dialect.

Dont embarrass your self,old man!
There is nobody called Nri and I dont know where you got the notion that Umu-Nri adopted anything from anybody. This is complete madness and distortion.
Abeg,do your home work before you start drooling like an old nasty man!
If you think Umu-Nri adopted tradition from anybody,then you dont belong here because everyone including Chinenye,Abagworo,Obiagu,Ezeagu,Abagworo,Rodaillo,Odumchi and more will laugh at you.

The interviews of Eze Nri Obalike was well documented in the early 1900s.
We have documents that will shut any revisionist up.
Dont even go there with me.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:03am On Oct 05, 2014
Well,opinion bases on emotionally driven conceptions will not stand when the truth surfaces.
There is no defined Isu region of settlement,all we know is the probable. And its sheer ignorance for anybody to say Isu and Adama is the same...This lie should be punishable by stoning to DEATH. Adama of Nri know themselves and tbey never refer to themselves as Isu ,so I dont understand the foolish comments being peddled around. Go to the Adamas and ask them if the are Isu and see what they tells you.

Who is even Isu?
Isu are just very primitive aboriginals with little or no civilization whom were refined and colonized by Eri religion,teaching and culture. Anybody surprised why Isu culture is non Existent.
Ikpu alu and isa ile is one of the tradition Eri introduced to cleanse and refine the aboriginals.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:12am On Oct 05, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Apologies for that oversight,but i've always regarded Isu as the oldest aboringals of Igbo land. Can you list the other groups with a similar tradition.

Does Isu have teaditions?
And if they do,can you list some of them.
And please,Ichi scarification is not an Isu invention nor tradition....smh
Stealing is a bad habit.

Igbu Ichi is rooted in Nze na Ozo and we had some men with Ichi up till late 1990s in Umuoji.
The statue of Oji Okodu in Umuoji has a man with Ichi.
Please,dont tamper with the sacred Nri history because it can send you to an early grave!
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Nobody: 5:53am On Oct 05, 2014
OdenigboAroli:
Well,opinion bases on emotionally driven conceptions will not stand when the truth surfaces.
There is no defined Isu region of settlement,all we know is the probable. And its sheer ignorance for anybody to say Isu and Adama is the same...This lie should be punishable by stoning to DEATH. Adama of Nri know themselves and tbey never refer to themselves as Isu ,so I dont understand the foolish comments being peddled around. Go to the Adamas and ask them if the are Isu and see what they tells you.
Who is even Isu?
Isu are just very primitive aboriginals with little or no civilization whom were refined and colonized by Eri religion,teaching and culture. Anybody surprised why Isu culture is non Existent.
Ikpu alu and isa ile is one of the tradition Eri introduced to cleanse and refine the aboriginals.

Why do you have resort to such ugly and hateful words when describing your own brothers?

Man people are messed up. sad

1 Like

Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 7:10am On Oct 05, 2014
Loooooooooool. Guys let us continue with our ISU discussion,am not ready for any hot-tempered supremacist.

3 Likes

Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 7:24am On Oct 05, 2014
chulla12:

Why do you have resort to such ugly and hateful words when describing your own brothers?

It's ridiculous is n't it? I don't even wanna mention the Igala origin/side of the Eri. Somebody wants us to believe that Eri colonised the entire Igbo race,when historians and certified researchers have already explored the Nri hegemony and Identified the Non- Eri culture in Igbo land.
Eri has a controversial placement in igbo history,as his origins can't be fully traced. Or is it Igbonkwo that was changed to Igboukwu to assume supremacy. Or is it the Awka aboriginals that claim that their culture was stolen or the Umudianas that claim to be different from Umu Eris.
Lol, igbos borrowed from Nri indeed. Nri influence was majorly concentrated in Northern igboland,why did it not spread to all areas.
Some people need to take a chill pill,this thread is not about my other kins,i.e umu nri.

1 Like

Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 9:04am On Oct 05, 2014
Every Civilized igbo historian knows that Adama is also an Igala title. This accounts for the Igbo/igala relationship, why do people keep a close eye on that? This would also account for the presence of Igala enclaves in Oshimili Lga, Delta state,Onitsha,Ogbaru,Ihiala, Anambra East,Anaocha,Njikoka,Dunukaofia and parts of Enugu state. It could be that Eri set up some Igala clans before migrating into igboland.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 9:15am On Oct 05, 2014
I have interacted with some Igbo researchers and they never referenced any Nri supremacy,rather they keep talking about certain immigrants that made a significant change in the culture and dialect of Northern Igboland. This most probably accounts for the introduction of /ife/ in place of /ihe/ and the introduction of Priest kings/kingdoms in place of the republican government. I don't know where this competition and Eri supremacy is coming from??
The modern Igbo culture is a summation of all igbo clans and their cultures.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:32pm On Oct 05, 2014
chulla12:

When a bastard start claiming rights they need to be reminded who they were and rightly placed in their place.
These foos gathered here to smear the almighty Nri and her descendants and you want me to sit down and clap my hands.. Bunch of insecure and desperate fools!
Stick to Isu and try not to claim what you have no idea how it started.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:44pm On Oct 05, 2014
And nobody is competing with anybody because there is no prize.
Secondly,in every society there is always the superior and inferior!
If somebody comes into your land and introduce a religion,yearly calender,code of conduct and reshape your way of thinking and living it means you are being colonized even without force.
Alot of Igbo towns celebrate Ofala but they know not the origin.
How many Igbo kings know what year we are in Igbo calender?
Eze Nri celebrate the Igu Aro.
He offers sacrifices to the original deities that formed tbe Igbo days of the week...Izu.
Eze Nri introduced Ufejioku....new yam festival.
Eze Nri introduced Nze na Ozo and Igba Odu.
Eze Nri brough the famous Ikenga.

If you people choose to respect the Nri kingdom I will respect you but any further insubordination will be met with utmost discipline.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:49pm On Oct 05, 2014
You can scream Igala all you want but until you prove Eri is an Igala man you are making absolutely no sense.
Yes,we have Igala migrants but how does that make us Oma Igala?
If you call us Igala then be ready to call Arochukwu Efiks.
This is what happens when somebody is desperate to tarnish somebody's else image out of jealousy.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 2:56pm On Oct 05, 2014
Chinenye,thanks. Ohuhu is more or less Isu. I just wanted to confirm it.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:30pm On Oct 05, 2014
OdenigboAroli, I'm going to try to be as civil with you as possible, even though after reading your posts, I don't believe you deserve it.

Anyway, you've been heard. No one came here with intentions to discuss Nri. We're here to discuss Isu, particularly in relation to the southern Igbo region, and then in relation to Igboland in general. We can have an Nri discussion some other time. Quit trivializing what could otherwise be an intellectually and academically insightful discussion.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:21pm On Oct 05, 2014
Thanks for your response.
Respect is reciprocal.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 5:12pm On Oct 05, 2014
Aroli,you probably want to turn this into an Nri versus Isu stuff. Am going to pretend i did not notice your outbursts and insults borne out of an uncivilized mind. How does a simple arguement warrant these derogatory expressions, ''Primative, Uncivilized,Nasty old man,Fool,Bastard etc?
Anyway, those aforementioned traditions are only practised in NORTHERN IGBOLAND. I don't know how to explain that to you anymore.
I don't wanna venture into Nri history,cos they are the ones that should explain the source of their origin.

1 Like

Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by ChinenyeN(m): 5:47pm On Oct 05, 2014
Ihuoma, just leave it at that so we can move forward. There is no need for the two of you to continue the back and forth here. It can all be discussed in a different thread at another time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Nobody: 6:45pm On Oct 05, 2014
ChinenyeN:

Mind going into more detail on this, with examples as well? I'm interested in hearing it.

My reply to this will be long and maybe even incoherent, partly because it is difficult to communicate effectively an idea or ideas that one has not had the opportunity of systematizing before. Needless to say, this is all hypothesis. A lot more study will have to be done (by people better qualified to do so than we are) into the dialects of the Igbo before one can say that my argument here has any validity.

The first reason why I think some frontier dialects may have preserved some more ancient forms of Igbo words than the more insular (or centrally placed) Igbo groups has to do with the concept of ‘Vowel Harmonization’.

In my Igbo language classes, we were taught something our teachers called ‘Vowel Harmonization’ (Ndakọrita Ụdaume). This concept divides Igbo vowels into two:
A) The light vowels (ụdamfe): a,ị,ọ,ụ.
B) The heavy vowels (ụdaarọ): e,i,o,u.
Now, according to the Law of Vowel Harmonization, a light vowel and a heavy vowel are not supposed to coexist in an Igbo morpheme (smallest, indivisible meaningful word).
For example, agwu would not be an Igbo word, because ‘a’ (a light vowel) and ‘u’ (a heavy vowel) are not supposed to co-exist in a morpheme, according to this law. Rather, you have agwụ (a deity) or egwu (fear), both of which are ‘vowel-harmonized’.

In trying to apply this principle of ‘vowel harmonization’ to morphemes in Standard, written Igbo, I’ve only found two instances where they were broken: ‘akpo’ (which I think means ‘hard palate’) and ‘ase’ (which in the phrase ‘juo ase’ means ‘ask after [someone]), but even in the second instance, it appears some speakers have ‘vowel-harmonized’ it by saying ‘ese’ instead.

However, it seems to me that the Law of Vowel Harmonization is only valid in the non-peripheral societies in Anambra, Enuani (in Delta), southern Enugu, Imo, and parts of Abia. As one moves towards the periphery of Igbo-speaking territories – Nsukka, Ezza-Izi-Ikwo, Ehugbo, etc - one encounters more and more morphemes that do not conform with the principle. More and more e-o-, e-a-, e-u- morphemes appear.

I’ll illustrate:
While in most centrally-placed dialect areas, we have:
Anya for ‘eye’
Atọ/ịtọ for ‘three’
anọ/ịnọ for ‘four’
asaa/ịsaa for ‘seven’
Agụ for ‘leopard’
Akwụkwọ for ‘leaf’
ahụ/arụ for ‘body’
aka for ‘hand’
anyi for ‘us’
etc, etc, all of them ‘harmonized.

Towards the periphery, we begin to hear: enya, etọ, enọ, esaa, egụ, ekwụkwọ, ehụ, eka, enyị, etc etc, all obviously unharmonized.

My hypothesis is that the latter forms (enya, etọ, etc) represent the more archaic forms of those words, and that ‘vowel harmonization’ was a linguistic innovation which took place in ‘the centre’ at some unknown period in history, but did not affect the periphery. The western flank of the ‘Igbo centre’ would appear to also have escaped the effect of this innovation, and thus we find that Ukwuani and Ika lects (but not Aniocha/Oshimili) abound in e-a-, e-o- morphemes.

The abundant presence of e-a- morphemes in our sister-languages (Yoruba and Edo) and then in Peripheral Igbo dialects which are isolated from both Yoruba and Edo also suggest to me that the common ‘Proto-Igbo-Yoruba-Edo’ linguistic stock contained ‘unharmonized’ morphemes of this form, and were only latter modified by vowel shifts in the ‘Igbo centre’.

There are also a small number of words in peripheral Igbo areas that I find interesting. I don’t speak any of these peripheral dialects. Perhaps someone who speaks them could find other interesting words. These words would appear to be closer to their equivalents in the other Kwa languages (Yoruba, Edo, Igala, Idoma, Nupe) than the more ‘centrally-placed’ Igbo dialects are. Even though these dialects do not border Yoruba, Edo or Idoma territories. A few examples:
1. In Ehugbo, the word for dark/black is ndu. In Yoruba it is dudu. In Bini it is duduudu. In all the centrally-placed Igbo communities that I’m familiar with it is nji or oji. Ehugbo is nowhere near Yoruba or Edo, and couldn’t have borrowed from them. The only logical explanation I can think of is that the proto-Igbo ancestor-langauge of all Igbo lects (which had only recently split from proto-Yoruba and proto-Edo) had a *du- word for ‘dark/black’, which the ‘Igbo centre’ latter lost or modified, and which Ehugbo had preserved.
2. In Ohafia, (on the Eastern periphery) the word for house is ulue. I was once told that there are communities in the Abia/Ebonyi area that use ule. I’m not at all sure this is correct. In any case, ‘ulue’ seems closer to ‘ole’ (Idoma) and ‘ile’ (Yoruba), both also meaning ‘house’, than ‘ulo’ is, even though Ohafia is nowhere near Idomaland or Yorubaland. If I’m to hypothesize, I’ll say that ‘house’ in proto-Igbo was probably ‘ule’, and that it’s modification to give the present forms in the different Igbo dialects had proceeded thus:

Ule ---> Ulue (preserved in Ohafia lect) ---> Uluo (preserved in Abiriba lect, I believe) ---> Ụlọ ---> Ụnọ/ Ụyọ/ Ụrọ/ Ọrọ.

Again, it appears (to me) that the frontier (Ohafia, in this case) have preserved a form which is probably closer than what the proto-Igbo would have been.

3. The words for ‘father’ in the peripheral Ekpeye/Ikwerre axis are also quite interesting: ‘ada’ for Ekpeye, ‘nda’ for Ikwerre. Idoma for ‘father’ is ‘ada’. In Nupe it is ‘nda’. Both languages (Nupe and Idoma) are related to Ekpeye and Ikwerre, and to the larger Igbo linguistic stock. Again Ikwerre/Ekpeye is nowhere near Nupe/Idoma for these to be direct borrowings. *da could be the ancient Kwa root connoting ‘father’, preserved in Igbo-speaking areas only in the southern fringe areas. The Igala ‘ata’ (also meaning ‘father’) is (apparently) a modification of the *da (‘t’ replacing‘d’). One linguist (Roger Blench) had actually written that Ekpeye appears to be highly conservative, and will play a very crucial role in reconstructing the proto-Igbo language.

PS: My argument is not that these peripheral groups speak the original Igbo or the purest Igbo or proto-Igbo. No group today speaks proto-Igbo, as all the Igbo lects have evolved over the centuries. But I think there has been a greater tendency towards linguistic conservatism in some of the peripheral areas than in the ‘Igbo centre.’

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 05, 2014
SOME OBSERVATIONS ON SOME ON YOUR COMMENTS
We can be certain that Eri elements introduced new linguistic features upon settling in the Isu homeland (as Radoillo rightly pointed out). The introduction of these new linguistic features, and the interaction with Eri elements prior to the Isu southerly expansion, would most certainly have affected Isu lects. There's no reason to believe otherwise.

I will hesitate to tie the (hypothetical) arrivals from the Anambra Valley, who introduced the stereotypical Anambra dialectical strain, to any single cultural group. The ‘Anambranization’ of the Awka uplands probably pre-dates the rise of Nri hegemony. The ancestors of the modern Nnewi people who have traditions of pushing the Isu southwards are not of Eri descent, for example.

In my opinion, Adama is a compound word: Ada + Ama= the first /original people of the area.

Adama, originally was actually a title, and not a people. The same mistake was also made with ‘Nri’, which was/is also a title, but now used generally to refer to a clan. The people called Adama are more correctly called ‘Umudiana’ (i.e., ‘children of the owner of the land’, or more correctly ‘owners of the earth’ – aborigines.) The Adama was the spiritual leader of the Umudiana people, whom the Nri people met on the ground, and he had special access to the local spirits of the area. Nwaezeigwe Nwankwo interpreted the name as ‘Ada Ma’, i.e, ‘Father of the Spirits’ and said it was an Igala word. While I agree with Nwaezeigwe on the meaning (‘Father of the Spirits’), I don’t necessarily agree with him about its origin. While there is an Igala word ‘Atama’ (meaning ‘Father of Spirits’) which was used in Igala and Nsukka for priests of local spirits, I consider Umudiana too far south to have been so influenced by the Igala so early in its history (pre-Nri times). Perhaps before the shift from *da to *na, ‘father’ in the Umudiana area had been ‘ada’. One can still easily find Igbo groups that call spirit ‘maa’. Perhaps because ‘Adama’ had been ‘ossified’ as a title, it didn’t change while the dialect of the people changed.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 7:10pm On Oct 05, 2014
Nice analogy @Radoillo. Let's not forget to keep an eye on possible dialectal influences from non-igbo groups on the peripheral igbo dialects. Esp the Cross-river areas: ohafia and Ebonyi.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 7:19pm On Oct 05, 2014
I believe i rightly stated that Adama was a title which probably has Igala origins,in view of the fact that Ada refers to Father in Igala language. But i appreciate your concised definition of Adama.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by ChinenyeN(m): 7:58pm On Oct 05, 2014
Radoillo: I will hesitate to tie the (hypothetical) arrivals from the Anambra Valley, who introduced the stereotypical Anambra dialectical strain, to any single cultural group. The ‘Anambranization’ of the Awka uplands probably pre-dates the rise of Nri hegemony. The ancestors of the modern Nnewi people who have traditions of pushing the Isu southwards are not of Eri descent, for example.

Now this, I was unaware of. With the way some go on about Nri, Eri and Anambra, those of us in the southern region figure that you're either Isu or Eri. We know Isu traditions reference some interaction with people before/during their Isuama expansion, but if the above in bold is the case, then it means those early people weren't actually Eri. So, there were other independent groups in the axis prior to Nri hegemony. Interesting.

We have a basis now for excluding Adama from Isu.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Ihuomadinihu: 8:09pm On Oct 05, 2014
Yeah,very interesting. So we have Isu, Uratta,Umudiana of Nnewi,probably Ezinihite(Chinenye, are they an independent clan or a subgroup?), as people with similar aboriginal tales.
@Abagworo is yet to make an input on Oru history.
We can rightly classify the Adamas as non Isu,if we are able to verify that Umudianas have a history of displacing a group of Isus.
Re: The Social Prejudices Between Oratta(owerri) And Isu Groups Of Igboland. by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 05, 2014
How widespread is the use of Ihite as the name of a section of a town in Southern Igboland? Would u say it is something more closely associated with communities of Isu descent in the south?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Influence Of Western Culture On Nigerians Fashion And Style Of Dressing / Horn Africans Are NOT BLACK / Funny/wicked Nicknames From Secondary School Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.