Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,304 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students (22229 Views)

UNIBEN Produces Heads Of 8 Tertiary Institutions In One Year / 5 Types Of Lecturers In Nigeria Tertiary Institutions / Why Nigerian Tertiary Institutions Are Not Attracting International Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Capslock01: 7:45pm On Sep 24, 2014
Apart from the fact that our institutions are rated low among the countries of world institutions, it is also fast falling from low standard to a lower standard. So, base on my personal point of view, I am presenting to you 'why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students'. Hopeful the consign body will see this few points and try to adjust.

1. THE NEED TO SCRAP SOME EXAMINATION BODY: The reason behind these exam bodies is to provide qualify individual for our institutions but you will not expect a foreigners applying to Nigeria tertiary institutions to come down to Nigeria and get their JAMB or WAEC form, after which they will come back to our country to write the exam. Even if we want to go in the way of JAMB/NECO/WAEC etc, why can't the body provide international centre(s)? Like SAT, TOEFL, GRE etc. In a sane country, each university has her own way of screening students before admitting them, the selection are largely base on essays or something else. After which the admitted students would be screened using entrance examination (in some case).

2. REMOVAL OF SELF/GOVERNMENT INTEREST : Nigeria Government (both state and federal) /school bodies increase school fee in a bid to favouring their sole interest, students then respond to the hike in school fee by shutting down the school all in name of aluta. No sane International students will want to study in country that will turn four years course to seven years. They need not come to Nigeria to know how Nigeria Tertiary Institutions strike (even much more than football strikers, like 'Delima Ronaldo, Di Maria, Cristiano Ronaldo etc'). I read a post on facebook about a lecturer selling an 'Uncooked textbook', why will international students apply to a school that their students are made to pay for books they will use in preparing for examination and later being told that the book is under construction (when it is not house- courtesy 'Uncooked book writer').

3. GOVERNMENT SHOULD FUND OUR INSTITUTIONS : Imagine a scenario where we have less than 300 tertiary institutions and they are ill funded by our Government while the United states of America has more than that and they are well funded. Our schools hostel is nothing to write home about, walls are not well plastered, no proper water supply (students subscribe to other forms of water supply) and the toilets are not in good shape. I saw a picture of the university of Ghana hostel and I could not help but weep for my dear country, the hostels were well furnished that commenter(s) mistook it for an hotel. I won't expect international students to apply to schools with little or no good infrastructure.

4. INSTITUTIONS NEED TO CREATE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS PORTAL : I Have gone through almost twenty Nigeria universities websites and non seem to have portal for undergraduate international students to apply. Tertiary institutions in our neighbouring countries like Ghana has portal for international students, also not forgetting other african countries like South Africa, Mauritius etc. Have our institutions lost the hope that our system could attract international students? I think it is high time our institutions created international students' portal on their websites to attract foreigners. International students' portal do not only attracts foreign students but also attracts foreign scholarship partners, imagine MasterCard foundation partnering with institutions in Ghana, Kenya and South african for a fully funded program in any field of study to young, brilliant and exceptional african but financially disadvantage, leaving the so called giant of Africa institutions.

NB: Points in this write-up are strictly base on my personal view and I think it is the true reflection of our educational system. Though, our educational system is synonymous to self development and most students from this system are always independent. The fact that we are going or have gone through this system has contributed to who we are today.

Source: www.edufrisk..com/2016/03/why-nigeria-tertiary-institutions-are.html

18 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Project400: 7:54pm On Sep 24, 2014
These points are TRUE; especially 1 & 4

11 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Capslock01: 11:38pm On Sep 24, 2014
Emmafrancis: .
grin space man.
Project400: These points are TRUE; especially 1 & 4
Yes.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by c0nd0m: 9:48am On Sep 25, 2014
Nice observation. Mod this deserves front page.
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Capslock01: 7:40am On Mar 22, 2015
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by lilmax(m): 7:46am On Mar 22, 2015
Nice
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by ekeneidiagbor: 9:16am On Mar 22, 2015
My guy the Nigerian educational system doesn't even attract its indigenuous students, talkless of foreigners..

93 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Capslock01: 8:44pm On Mar 17, 2016
Cc: Lalasticlala Fynestboi
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Nobody: 10:02pm On Mar 17, 2016
5. The quality of our certificates even. You go with a BSc from uthman danfodio university and your credentials can't be verified with a simple email to the university admin. To even request transcript, you still have to write letters and all... Many issues please.
We still have a long way to go

Earlier today, someone asserted on Twitter that a first class from UNN is equal to a first class from Harvard. She got eaten up!

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by ladyF(f): 10:02pm On Mar 17, 2016
The most important point is to improve the standard of lecturing/education in these universities. A school where a lecturer will ask you to "drop" something so he can pass you will never attract international students.

Even the lecturers, some of them have less wisdom than their students. Which sane person will leave the schools in his/her developed country and settle for what we have in our federal university or even state? Anyway sha....

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by jay2pee(m): 10:02pm On Mar 17, 2016
This is ridiculous. When a lecturer would openly say that if you don't 'sort' him, you will not pass his course. They feel very happy when they see students being frustrated. The school management never consider the interest of the students in decision making.

I remember during my project writing in my final year, Dr. Kene George really dealt with me, he made me write my chapter 1 for almost 6 tomes, just writing 'recast' whenever I submit. I later repeated what I wrote in the second one he cancelled initially and he approved it. That's when I knew that he is just being wicked. But my God pass am shaa.

I am a serving Corp Member now.

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Sunnycliff(m): 10:03pm On Mar 17, 2016
What about sadists and extortionists we have as lecturers?

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by benpedro(m): 10:03pm On Mar 17, 2016
We don't have enough government tertiary institutions to accommodate the today's teeming Nigerian youths whom their illiterate or not so smart parents still see 'University' education as a ticket to success,and you're here talking about foreigners.Between it would be wise you restrict your topic to government owned tertiary institutions only and not all nigerian institutions as i presently have friends(foreigners) whose wards are scattered all over Nigerian private universities,of course built by the Atikus of that god forsaken country and all the 'repentant' thieves EFCC have chosen not to look their way because they are now in the ruling party.....back to 'sipping' my champagne until the day you guys will be willing for a detribalized revolution.then maybe we might come down with to assist.but until then,enjoy the CHANGE smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Mopolchi: 10:04pm On Mar 17, 2016
Well I don't know of other universities but for the University of Nigeria we have a lot of them around here.
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Onila2: 10:04pm On Mar 17, 2016
THE NEED FOR A WEBSITE

Some universities don't even have a website,how will someone in the UK know they are existing when they are not online.

8 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Nobody: 10:04pm On Mar 17, 2016
Ok
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Godswillnwaoma(m): 10:04pm On Mar 17, 2016
There is nothing good about this forced marriage called Nigerian, from education sector to power sector in fact all the sectors of the economy.
Sometimes I ask God this simple question which he refuses to answer me " upon all the countries in Europe and America why did he creates me in Nigeria?
I weep for Nigeria.

Back to the topic

Though what you wrote there are the core reasons why Nigeria universities can't attract foreign students.
Our leaders will never do something about it trust me, apart from oga Jonathan which among the politicians in this country that he or her children is schooling here absolutely none and u think they will do something about it. (make I hear)
But in unizik here we have few foreign students from Lebanese, china and some within the African countries. Unizik dey try naaaa.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Suibisreal(m): 10:04pm On Mar 17, 2016
Let me comment nw. i will read later

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by MadCow1: 10:04pm On Mar 17, 2016
Vhai
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by redcliff: 10:05pm On Mar 17, 2016
ekeneidiagbor:
My guy the Nigerian educational system doesn't even attract its indigenuous students, talkless of foreigners..

Lmao

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Nobody: 10:05pm On Mar 17, 2016
U want mosquito to finish dere life ba?the kind mosqito and heat that would devour dem ehh,nobody go tell dem to run.which hostel would they liv in sef?u won't dem to spend 7 years on a 4 years course ba?
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:06pm On Mar 17, 2016
LA cram LA pour institutions. The school management's are corrupt. After 200L I felt disappointed in what they disseminate to we students.

7 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by stanley4246(m): 10:06pm On Mar 17, 2016
True talk bro
From waec to neco
From neco to gce
From gce to nabteb
Less I forget JAMB
Last bus stop

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Fran6ik: 10:06pm On Mar 17, 2016
space
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by JOOHEL: 10:06pm On Mar 17, 2016
na xo.. Nigerian educational system is poor.. how can a white man or student write jamb.
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by thefakestan: 10:06pm On Mar 17, 2016
Really don't have much to say,

I school in.....

Please i'm missing my France crew.

ThefakeStan

1 Like

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by gbaskiboy: 10:08pm On Mar 17, 2016
The bad and rotten eggs has spoils the good ones... Everything in our system are runs by corrupt and mindless people

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Google63(m): 10:08pm On Mar 17, 2016
Capslock01:
Cc: Lalasticlala Fynestboi
why did you dig the thread out... What exactly were you looking for?
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by Generalkorex(m): 10:09pm On Mar 17, 2016
Good write up
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by DifferentBoy1(m): 10:10pm On Mar 17, 2016
Praise ye the Lord...
Re: Why Nigeria tertiary institutions are not attracting international students by misspicy(f): 10:10pm On Mar 17, 2016
sonOfLucifer:

The OPs time has come. The guy fit don go abroad sef. grin

Imagine.

Nairaland mods no dey try abi no FP worthy thread again cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2 Reasons Why Your GPA Matters In Nigeria And 1 Reason Why It Doesn’t / Picture Of Oyibo Cheating In Exam / What Is The Simplest Word You Forgot To Spell In An Exam Hall?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.