Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

The Magic Of The Number "4" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Magic Of The Number "4" (858 Views)

What Is The Number Under The Parked Car? / Check The Number Of Candidates That Chose Your School In JAMB Here / Explanation On Number 4 Reguirement Asked By Unilag. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Magic Of The Number "4" by kbshow100(m): 10:16pm On Sep 24, 2014
1. Four is the only number in English that is equal to the number of letters in its name.

2. The ancient Greeks associated the number four with earthly balance, believing that everything was made of four elements: earth, air, fire and water.

3. The word for ‘four’ in Chinese sounds like the word for ‘death’, which is why many hospitals in China have no fourth floor.

Of all the words listed as ‘vulgar’ in the dictionary, exactly half are four-letter words.

4. For the same reason, residents of Taipei in 1995 were allowed to delete the number four from house numbers.

5. Any map may be coloured in four colours with no two regions that share a common stretch of border having the same colour.

6. This is known as the Four Colour Problem, first suggested in the 1800s but only proved in 1976.

7. Of all the words listed as ‘vulgar’ in the dictionary, exactly half are four-letter words.

8. The French for “a four-letter word” is “un mot de cinq lettres” because the most common four-letter word in French has five (cinq) letters.

9. There are four bottles of wine in a jeroboam.

10. Norway has scored “nul points” (zero points) in the Eurovision Song Contest a record four times (but they have also won the contest three times).

I'm proud to be a mathematician
Re: The Magic Of The Number "4" by TRADELYN: 10:40pm On Sep 24, 2014
grin
Nice...same here!

I LovE maths grin

1 Like

Re: The Magic Of The Number "4" by kbshow100(m): 11:19pm On Sep 24, 2014
TRADELYN: grin
Nice...same here!

I LovE maths grin
thank you bro

1 Like

Re: The Magic Of The Number "4" by doctorgold(m): 12:03am On Sep 25, 2014
Nice post. Am an architect so number 3 caught my attention. I will have to confirm that.

1 Like

Re: The Magic Of The Number "4" by nwaobitex: 5:19am On Sep 25, 2014
cool

1 Like

Re: The Magic Of The Number "4" by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 8:30am On Sep 25, 2014
The standard number of children -4
Most biscuits come in fours
Dinning tables come with six seats, two for couple, 4 for kids.
Most cutlery come in four sets, etc

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

NDA 2015 Admission Application Form Now Available / Court Re-instates Suspended OAU Student. / Unknown Gun Men Kills A Student Of FUAM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.