Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,884 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:30 AM

Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois (54361 Views)

Staff Cry As Rafindadi, VC Of Lokoja Federal University Leaves Office After Sack / Ilesanmi Adesida: University Of Illinois First Black VC / Prof Ilesanmi Adeshida Named As VC / Provost Of Univ Of Illnois, Urbana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by ALAYORMII: 11:21pm On Sep 24, 2014
A Professor of Nigerian descent, Ilesanmi Adesida made history last month by becoming the first black Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs of the well-respected University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign in the United States.

Born in Ondo State, Prof Adesida is a Nigerian engineer whose outstanding work in the field of Nanotechnology has received much acclaim in the scientific community.

He obtained his Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral degrees in Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley and subsequently went on to develop a body of work in the processing of semiconductors and other materials at the nanometer-scale level.

After his studies, he worked in various capacities at what is now known as the Cornell Nanofabrication Facility and the School of Electrical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. He was also the head of the Electrical Engineering Department at Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, Nigeria.

Commenting on his recently appointed role, Prof Adesida said: “I’m honoured and humbled to be selected as provost of this great campus. This is something I take very seriously. I know how to work very hard and I’m ready to roll up my sleeves and get the job done.”

Prof Adesida is a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), the American Vacuum Society, and the Optical Society of America. He is also the past-president of IEEE Electron Devices Society.

290 Likes 35 Shares

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by doctorgold(m): 11:30pm On Sep 24, 2014
Nigerians making waves. Congrats Prof. However, we need people like you back home to help this ailing country of ours.

131 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by GreatGatsby(m): 11:48pm On Sep 24, 2014
Wow, this is good news, I know and I believe Nigeria will be a better place.

#Nigeriansmakingheadway.

Congratulations Prof.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Day11(m): 11:51pm On Sep 24, 2014
doctorgold: Nigerians making waves. Congrats Prof. However, we need people like you back home to help this ailing country of ours.

NO BUT THANK YOU.

Thats what he will tell you sad

Nothing works here

29 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by missdebs(f): 3:25am On Sep 25, 2014
ondo, ekiti...states dat hv d highest regards for education n knowledge, ride on sir

60 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by miqos02(m): 6:11am On Sep 25, 2014
congrats to him

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by angelTI(f): 6:40am On Sep 25, 2014
Congrats Sir. This is the kind of news I like hearing about my country.

20 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by fineyemi(m): 7:06am On Sep 25, 2014
missdebs: ondo, ekiti...states dat hv d highest regards for education n knowledge, ride on sir
It is osun and ondo excluding ekiti. I confirmed it masef.

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Ayomi088(m): 7:39am On Sep 25, 2014
WOW cool

Meanwhile, there is Affordable MTN data on offer.....https://www.nairaland.com/1856717/affordable-mtn-data-offer-300

Hop in to find out

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by imsuboi(m): 7:45am On Sep 25, 2014
missdebs: ondo, ekiti...states dat hv d highest regards for education n knowledge ride on sir

based on what statistics abeg?

SMH undecided

57 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Nobody: 7:47am On Sep 25, 2014
hmmm...nice i must say.

i respect peeps who soar high in a foreign land..not easy at all but your talent will always distinguish you..

cool

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by GboyegaD(m): 7:48am On Sep 25, 2014
doctorgold: Nigerians making waves. Congrats Prof. However, we need people like you back home to help this ailing country of ours.

The challenges with your request are quite many ranging from research grants, facilities, to remuneration.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by freshness2020: 7:56am On Sep 25, 2014
I wasn't surprise when I saw ondo state!
Represent us well!
#irepUnity!

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by egbaguy: 8:30am On Sep 25, 2014
His father is IBO..............he was raised by his yoruba mother after his IBO father died during the BIAFRA war. Modification: i am wondering why people liked this!!!!!!

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by ifaoni(m): 9:01am On Sep 25, 2014
congrats, mr man. Check out my signature for cheap datas.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by MenGoingThereWay: 9:43am On Sep 25, 2014
Come back to Nigeria where they will owe him salary and won't value his intellectual resources. He should Stay back in the place where they value him at least he can be making Nigeria proud from there.

Foreign Countries will continue to brain drain Nigeria off its intellectuals because they support and provide a conducive environment. When they See u have something to offer they value U and abSorb u into there system.

-MenGoingThereOwnWay

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Nobody: 9:45am On Sep 25, 2014
missdebs: ondo, ekiti...states dat hv d highest regards for education n knowledge, ride on sir
Delusion.

Meanwhile, congratulations Professor Ilesanmi on your appointment as Provost, University of Illinois, Urbana.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 25, 2014
egbaguy: His father is IBO..............he was raised by his yoruba mother after his IBO father died during the BIAFRA war.
Your failure in sarcasm has exposed you bigot.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by ChiSun27(m): 9:48am On Sep 25, 2014

You've said it all...nothing left to add.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Nobody: 9:51am On Sep 25, 2014
fineyemi: It is osun and ondo excluding ekiti. I confirmed it masef.
No it is lagos, osun, ondo, ekiti, ogun and oyo.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by PrinceAdepoju(m): 10:32am On Sep 25, 2014
Nigeria is blessed with great talents. We must learn to appreciate ourselves...

Everybody's Got Talent.

Good People, Great Nation!!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Donfamous(m): 10:51am On Sep 25, 2014
Abeg do not tribalize this thread.
#omoyorubalemisha

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Bryan12(m): 11:22am On Sep 25, 2014
.......but this would never happen in a southern US state.Thank God for equality up north!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by ednut1(m): 11:50am On Sep 25, 2014
Nigerians will take glory as usual grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Blaqsmith(m): 12:04pm On Sep 25, 2014
Prof. ILESANMI ADESIDA

A Yoruba man has raised the bar and set the World standard again grin

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Samiceman: 12:04pm On Sep 25, 2014
Ah rep Nigeria! Proudly Nigerian! God bless One Nigeria!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by kurajordan(m): 12:04pm On Sep 25, 2014
Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by Sucre777(f): 12:05pm On Sep 25, 2014
cool, congratulations to you.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by morbid: 12:05pm On Sep 25, 2014
This forum should not be promoting this kind of topics. The traffic at the American Embassy with the daily show of shame where our citizens shed profuse tears becaus they were denied visas re already a cause for concern. Unless you guys are comfortable with brain drain this nation experiences on daily basis.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by yuzjet(m): 12:05pm On Sep 25, 2014
Congratulations

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Professor, Ilesanmi Becomes First Black VC Of University Of Illinois by rattlesnake(m): 12:06pm On Sep 25, 2014
If this man should contest for President in Nigeria HE WONT WIN....

Cos the f..ols are majority

45 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Onyiuke Akachukwu Matthew Tackles JAMB On Withheld UTME Result / Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos / Man Puts Sugarcane Hawkers In School In Zaria (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.