Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,797 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms (15948 Views)

Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loan Request For Arms / Govt Officials Blame The US For Arms Purchase Scandal. / Senate Okays 8 For Ambassadorial Positions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by bruno419(m): 2:40pm On Sep 25, 2014
The Senate on Thursday approved President
Goodluck Jonathan’s request of $1bn external
loan to fight the ongoing insurgency in the
country.
The decision was taken following the
submission of the report of the Senate Joint
Committee on Finance and that of Local and
Foreign Debt by the Chairman, Senator Ahmed
Makarfi.
Makarfi said the loan request was not in cash
but supply of military hardware to be paid for,
over seven years.
He said the interest terms rate could not be
indicated because it was the suppliers of the
military hardware that would negotiate such
agreement.
He said, “Also, the request is for a ceiling of
$1bn and not that, at the moment, the whole
amount would be utilised.
“Government will procure on the terms stated,
based on needs assessment of our security
agencies.”
There was however, a mild drama on the floor
of the red chamber when Senate President,
David Mark; his deputy, Ike Ekweremadu; and
Makarfi urged their colleagues not to subject
the report to a debate because of its security
implications.
But the Senate Minority Leader, Senator George
Akume; Senator Olubunmi Adetunmbi; and
Babafemi Ojudu laboured in vain to frustrate the
approval of the loan.
Adetunmbi quoted relevant sections of the
Nigerian constitution to argue that the loan
request contradicted the Appropriation Act, and
Fiscal Responsibility Act.
He further argued that Jonathan should have
requested for the loan through a supplementary
appropriation bill.
However, Makarfi clarified that Adetunmbi’s
arguments were not relevant to the matter
because the loan was not in cash.
He said the National Assembly would be
contacted by the executive for necessary
appropriation whenever it was time to repay
the loan in cash.
Mark therefore called for a voice vote to
determine the approval or rejection of the loan.
Members of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party
in the upper chamber voted in support while
their counterpart in the All Progressives
Congress voted against it.
source: www.punchng.com/news/senate-okays-jonathans-1bn-loan-request-for-arms/
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 25, 2014
$1Billion?
grin Enough money to go round. grin

19 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by lekejob(m): 2:44pm On Sep 25, 2014
Ok, no probem, continue.
I am tempted to wright this, on FP n 2nd 2 comment 4 that matter, I fell good.
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by Bigcake: 2:49pm On Sep 25, 2014
That's a good one, atleast it wasnt cash transaction. Period of seven years is okay. We can also use this arms to topple the government of President Paul Biya of cameroon because they are wicked neighbour.

21 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by bruno419(m): 3:03pm On Sep 25, 2014
lekejob: Ok, no probem, continue.
all those money the are sharing

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by Oklander: 3:09pm On Sep 25, 2014
chai...Thieves, what happened to all the money they have been pumping into security?

Was it not this same government that said they have the money to buy ALL the arms needed?
https://www.nairaland.com/1908799/fg-embezzle-1billion

9 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by bruno419(m): 3:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
seun,mynd44,do the needful cool

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by bright8(m): 3:22pm On Sep 25, 2014
It's official. GEJ wins in 2015.
Election money has just been released.
Any how APC wants it they will get it.
No shaking.

37 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by dulaman: 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2014
I thought shekau is dead and BH member surrendered? oh I forget election is near.. Nnpc $20b+ ayo $9.3m+$1b= PDP must win at all cost, buy the buyables,bribe the bribables.threaten the threatables,blackmail the blackmailables.

99 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by major466(m): 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2014
Now we're talking. smiley Time to finish Boko Haram terrorist.
Boko sympathisers will not be happy to hear this.
Where is Hell Rufai when you need him?

14 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by Innodon(m): 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2014
Dem go Pocket am

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by datbay(m): 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2014
I pray its used for what it was approved for.

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by Babyboy1986(m): 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2014
Na today.

1 Like

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by Rilwayne001: 4:28pm On Sep 25, 2014
[size=15pt]$1 billion shocked shocked shocked [/size]

These people are hell bent in winning the presidential election next year.

Nigeria will soon go bankrupt with the way this clueless goon is running her.

#weneedachangeofgovernment ASAP

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by ibrews: 4:28pm On Sep 25, 2014
Atigbo!
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by ednut1(m): 4:28pm On Sep 25, 2014
let the sharing begin cheesy, the insurgency was all about money, they hv given shecow a nice vacation and killed a look alike to deceive us, diaris God o

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by hemartins(m): 4:28pm On Sep 25, 2014
I know my country too well. What about the $9.3m seized is south africa. I'm sure there are many things we still don't know about how this money will be utilized.

7 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by sCross: 4:29pm On Sep 25, 2014
darn!!!!
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 25, 2014
crivelli * 1.85 = under

3 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by major466(m): 4:30pm On Sep 25, 2014
farrax2: AIRTEL FREE 28GB grab urs in N'A,I'J,A,F,A,P,P,E,R dot C+O+M
AIRTEL FREE 28GB grab urs in N'A,I'J,A,F,A,P,P,E,R dot C+O+M
AIRTEL FREE 28GB grab urs in N'A,I'J,A,F,A,P,P,E,R dot C+O+M
Wetin be ya own?
You don mis road.

5 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by Onyenna(m): 4:30pm On Sep 25, 2014
Kk ooh...
Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by austine4real(m): 4:30pm On Sep 25, 2014
Is insurgency fund not meant 4 d purchase of arms?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by agabusta: 4:30pm On Sep 25, 2014
This present administration has so much embarrassed us. Because they want to secure Nigeria now, they have to announce to the whole world that they are buying military gadgets. And they even have to take a loan to do that.

11 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by lilprinze: 4:31pm On Sep 25, 2014
$1 billion hmm they have successfully gotten another way to loot more money.
They have not even brought the so called weapons they claimed they wanted to buy from South Africa they are busy approving $1 billion loan.

8 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by Ajagbe97(m): 4:32pm On Sep 25, 2014
let insurgency Just stop... anyway, anyhow.... #Dats all

2 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by major466(m): 4:32pm On Sep 25, 2014
Waiting for the children of anger to show up grin
This news will be very devastating to them.

4 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by Coldfeet(f): 4:32pm On Sep 25, 2014
Mark therefore called for a voice vote to
determine the approval or rejection of the loan.
Members of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party
in the upper chamber voted in support while
their counterpart in the All Progressives
Congress voted against it

grin

Opposition party in Nigeria is to perpetually counter whatever the Ruling party wants to do whether good or bad! Not one member of PDP found fault with the motion? And not One opposition member supports the motion? All this people are just "Zombie"

17 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by ITbomb(m): 4:33pm On Sep 25, 2014
I like this script
Sheriff enter PDP, Jonathan declare, dem kill Shekeau, Boko Haram surrenders, some abducted girls released, money approved for security, campaign starts. Yeah

GEJ Till 2019

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by Aitee1: 4:33pm On Sep 25, 2014
This country and money...hmmm

make them grant me just a token to start my own biz they refuse

they shld 'kontinu' looting in the name of insurgency...

God will always provide for His children!

6 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by stinggy(m): 4:34pm On Sep 25, 2014
To be diverted into Oritsejafor's account again

This present crop of leaders will bankrupt this country angry External debts keep piling up by the day. Whatever happens to all the security votes allowed for in the budget?

Vagabonds in Power

16 Likes

Re: Senate Okays Jonathan’s $1bn Loanrequest For Arms by jude33084(m): 4:34pm On Sep 25, 2014
No need naa!

she cow is dead grin

Abi na election money sharing formula be this cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Expect To Pay N195 Per Litre For Petrol, Marketers Tell Nigerians / Wike, PDP G5 And ‘Devolution’ Of Presidential Support - The Guardian / Edward Ubosi: PDP Chieftain And Enugu Speaker Attended Tinubu's Rally In Ebonyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.