Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,152 members, 7,807,508 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:29 PM

Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship (7409 Views)

Nigeria To Withdraw OPL245 From Malabu And Dan Etete / Photos: GEJ Returns From The US / Photo Of Atiku Abubakar In 1991 When He Contested For Governorship Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by Odeku(m): 2:58pm On Jul 29, 2006
The former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Chief Dan Etete, arrived the country on Wednesday after eight years in self-exile in France.

Etete, who was a minister in the regime of the late General Sani Abacha, reportedly left the country in 1998 after the demise of the maximum ruler.

In the early days of the current democratic dispensation, President Olusegun Obasanjo’s administration embarked on a tacit probe of Etete’s tenure as minister, especially as regards the award of oil blocks during the Abacha regime. The Obasanjo administration voided the awards over claims that the beneficiaries got them in questionable circumstances.

Some of the blocks have also been the subject of litigation both within and outside Nigeria and had also been scrutinised by the National Assembly. Etete was specifically accused of using his office to award the oil block covered by oil prospecting licence 245 to himself.

An aide of the former minister, who declined to be named, said the former minister returned to take an active part in politics and may contest for the governorship of his state, Bayelsa.

He said, “He arrived the country on Wednesday morning via the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja and was received by scores of friends and associates. His political ambition will be unfolded in due course. He definitely has a role to play in unfolding political developments as the 2007 elections draw near and as the first core Ijaw man to be appointed a federal minister, particularly in charge of petroleum.

“He has been under pressure to join the Peoples Democratic Party but he is yet to declare his stand,” the source said.

When our correspondent met Etete, he explained that he returned to Nigeria in recognition of the fact that he had a role to play in restoring peace to the Niger Delta.

“Yes, it is true that I have a role to play in the political terrain. But what is important to me is to be involved with those on the ground to ensure peace in that environment. That is my priority. I have just arrived the country. I want to see how things are moving. As an elder statesman, I want to see what role I can play in ensuring peace and stability.”

Asked whether he was not afraid of being arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Etete replied, “I do not anticipate such. My hands are clean. I am a free citizen. In fact, I want to use this opportunity to thank the President for the opportunity given me to return home and to also thank my friends, family and relations who have been supportive and consistent.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200607293262631
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by DaHitler(m): 3:04pm On Jul 29, 2006
I smell an assasination. I doubt the Niger-Deltans are going to put up with some Ijaw man that got fat off the crumbs from his Hausa master while they were being oppressed by the bastard known as Abacha.
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 29, 2006
dan etete is deceiving himself EFCC will soon arrest him i'm sure of it why did'nt he just stay in france in his multi million dollar castle he lives in France that was reported in the guardian he used his office to enrich himself and did nothing for his people from the proceeds from his loot i just don't know why thieves think they can contest for any office in nigeria instead of being ashamed of themselves after being exposed of being corrupt and be languishing in jail they still continue to walk the streets free.
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by DeepSoul(f): 5:14pm On Jul 29, 2006
I read this post with anger welling up inside me with each word that followed. Dan Etete??!!

It's amazing that a thief can just enter our dear country and claim to want to "restore peace to the Niger Delta"!

Was he not one of the factors that caused the unrest in the first place?!

He claims he's under pressure! Who are those pressurizing him?! He calls himself an "elder statesman". I see him as an "elder thief"!

There's even no space for him in the race to become governor in Bayelsa State. He probably knows that and just wants to be politically relevant but I hope EFCC clips his wings before he even gets close to it! Bloody criminal!!
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by LoverBwoy(m): 5:22pm On Jul 29, 2006
i think he must have bribed the immigration people to let him into the country!!

they should have arrested him at the airport

“He has been under pressure to join the Peoples Democratic Party but he is yet to declare his stand,” the source said
what is wrong with journalists in nigeria? they just chat shyt!
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by Odeku(m): 5:27pm On Jul 29, 2006
i am waiting to see if he is invited for questioning by EFCC< why did he run to exile in the 1st place he he wasn't guilty? IJAW people this are the people killing your state not OBJ
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by dearie(m): 1:16am On Jul 30, 2006
I would have said' I CRY FOR NIGERIA' but i know i shl be laughing instead.,
When a thieving elder stateman has declared his intention to further loot us blind, in an era we can comfortably describe as a new dawn!

Dan Etete remains a goner even now that he's back.

He sure cant oust the incumbent and will never be able to get that sit even at the expiration of the incumbents tenure, so there's no case about him. It's already decided.
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by diddy4(m): 2:51am On Jul 30, 2006
none of them will live long. they will all perish one by one. bloddy ingrates.
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by Odeku(m): 11:17pm On Jul 30, 2006
Don't this people have any morals? how can they continue to loot the and deprive every Nigerian a good life and still continue to act as if they haven't committed any crime?
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by Nutter(m): 2:30am On Jul 31, 2006
Deep Soul:

It's amazing that a thief can just enter our dear country and claim to want to "restore peace to the Niger Delta"!

@ Deep Soul,

I agree with you but I am more worried about the thieves (IBB, Orji Kalu, Uba, Marwa et al) who have not even bothered to run away. Indeed, they remain in the country and continue to determine the quality of life that ordinary Nigerians get. It just goes to show that something is very wrong and drastic measures are required.

Odeku:

i am waiting to see if he is invited for questioning by EFCC< why did he run to exile in the 1st place he he wasn't guilty? IJAW people this are the people killing your state not OBJ

@Odeku,

Not quite so, brother. While Ijaw leaders are culpable to a significant degree, Oby is also responsible for Ijaw travails because in the 1970s, he had a hand in drastically cutting down the percentage of derivation going to Ijawland. He cannot, therefore, now don the toga of blamelessness.

"It is an easy thing for one whose foot is on the outside of calamity to give advice and to rebuke the sufferer." – Aeschylus.
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by faiza(f): 5:01pm On Mar 02, 2007
welcome at home dan . je suis tres heureuse pour toi j espere que tu lira ce message comme tu le voir je suis encore la bonne chance .good luck

faiza form paris
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by betantee(m): 10:43pm On Mar 03, 2007
What a shame.Another thieve parading to be a saint coming back to do what .I really dont understand what our society is turning to, some pple need to be hanged and shot.Haba!I tire for niaja
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by davidif: 11:23pm On Aug 18, 2009
unbelievable.
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by SapeleGuy: 11:34pm On Aug 18, 2009
Why oh why do some of you have such faith in the EFCC, Why?

Apart from Alams, Tafa Balogun and some fake babalawos who have they jailed?
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by SkyBlue1: 11:42pm On Aug 18, 2009
LOL. Nairaland and una "outrage". It really is amusing. Please let us hear something new and more interesting. What is so unusual in the prospect of a questionable character contesting and winning elections in Nigeria?

Ibori was an ex convict (convicted for coniving with his girl friend to steal from a hardware store) who left the UK and went to Nigeria to contest election. Where were all of you and your outrage? He won elections and went on a rampage, indulging in many questionable practises, where were you and your outrage? He was tried in court, the judiciary under him was made a mockery off and in fact he even had supporters showing up in court, where were you and your outrage? How many of you would have done something as basic as protesting together in public? Who is the current minister for education and what is his history in government and the state of things? What did your "outrage" achieve when Peter Odilli whose wife coincidentally is a judge went to the high court in Port Harcourt to seek an injunction against the EFCC barring them from arresting him or publishing some of the findings of their investigation? What did you do with your "outrage" when the judiciary gave the last elections a pass mark? Abeg do not waste this Nigerian brand of outrage that reeks of false morality, save it and try and put it to better use on broadway. With all the "outrage" going on you would think the country would have been fixed by now or at least a commendable attempt made. Tomorrow some one will bring up a simple suggestion on how they plan to act in changing the country the way that is in their capacity and una go shoot them down with insults while still staying behind keyboard maintaining "outrage" at the situation.

I seriously pray Babangida does not decide to contest elections in Nigeria because like play like play he would get into aso rock and all Nigerians would do is stay there and be "outraged". LOL. Nigeria.
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by angrynaija: 8:16pm On Oct 13, 2010
hopefully the efcc will seize all of his ill-gotten gains and throw his ass in prison. i can't believe he was not repatriated from france, or did nigeria not seek his extradition, or maybe he has already bribed his way so that they will have a charade in the pretext of prosecuting him and maybe he'll serve 3 months in prison and be fined few hundred dollars to give the false impression that he was actually brought to justice.
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by monkeyleg: 9:08pm On Oct 13, 2010
Dont give yourselves headache. Na today Ynash dey back. We do this all the time. A known crook exilses for a few years and comes back to a heros welcome.

Remember Alameshiga, Umaru Dikko, to name but a few. We celebrate thieves in that country. So I say to him welcome
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by omojand: 9:20pm On Oct 13, 2010

Why can't he? Whats the difference between him, Babangida and Atiku. Naija's politics attracts the criminally insane! Mad people in high places I say.
Re: Ex-petroleum Minister, Etete, Returns From Exile To Contest For Governorship by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 13, 2010
he is no where near the equation in the Niger delta, small boyz go slap im face, na Abuja im go dey, fear no go gree am, eight years na small thing? things don change, infact im go go back to paris weeping.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Supplies Electricity To Neighbouring Countries! / The Coup Of The Five Majors / Kano State Governor Orders Release Of Detained Boko Haram Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.