Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,940 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

South-africa To Shut Down Gay Friendly Mosque. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South-africa To Shut Down Gay Friendly Mosque. (973 Views)

Rivers Governorship Rerun: A Golden Opportunity To Shut The Mouth Of APC / Hoodlums Shut Down Alaba International Market On The Orders Of Tinubu's Daughter / Top 10 People That Need To Shut-up In 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South-africa To Shut Down Gay Friendly Mosque. by gabriel212: 12:01pm On Sep 26, 2014
South Africa’s first gay-friendly mosque, called the “Open Mosque” is sparking quite a bit of controversy.

The mosque has been described as extremely liberal, allowing women to lead prayers, and showing tolerance for gay individuals.

Authorities in Cape Town, where the mosque is located, are planning on shutting it down, BBC reports.

Taj Hargey, the founder of the mosque, alleges that city council is trying to close the mosque by using “ridiculous” by-laws as an excuse.

” I will not be threatened by them or anyone else. We have freedom of religion and expression in this country. No-one has the right to tell anyone what to believe in. This is a gender equal mosque, autonomous and independent and will remain so,” he said.

However, city councilor, Ganief Hendrickshas stated that plans to shut down the mosque have nothing to do with its liberal stance. He stated that Hargey had converted the building from a warehouse to a mosque, without considering the health and safety implications. He also said that the building violated violated municipal by-laws by not having any parking spaces.

However, Hargey insists that the city council wants to close down the mosque due to its desire to maintain a “theological monopoly.”

“This mosque is based on the original mosque in Medina with one door where men and women come together to pray.

“I want my mother, wife, daughter to pray alongside me. Not be second class citizens. They pray together at Haj, why can’t they pray together in the mosques of the world?”

“This is not a gay mosque. But I will not turn anyone away based on race or sexual orientation, he said

Re: South-africa To Shut Down Gay Friendly Mosque. by brownlords: 12:56pm On Sep 26, 2014
gabriel212: South Africa’s first gay-friendly mosque, called the “Open Mosque” is sparking quite a bit of controversy.

The mosque has been described as extremely liberal, allowing women to lead prayers, and showing tolerance for gay individuals.

Authorities in Cape Town, where the mosque is located, are planning on shutting it down, BBC reports.

Taj Hargey, the founder of the mosque, alleges that city council is trying to close the mosque by using “ridiculous” by-laws as an excuse.

” I will not be threatened by them or anyone else. We have freedom of religion and expression in this country. No-one has the right to tell anyone what to believe in. This is a gender equal mosque, autonomous and independent and will remain so,” he said.

However, city councilor, Ganief Hendrickshas stated that plans to shut down the mosque have nothing to do with its liberal stance. He stated that Hargey had converted the building from a warehouse to a mosque, without considering the health and safety implications. He also said that the building violated violated municipal by-laws by not having any parking spaces.

However, Hargey insists that the city council wants to close down the mosque due to its desire to maintain a “theological monopoly.”

“This mosque is based on the original mosque in Medina with one door where men and women come together to pray.

“I want my mother, wife, daughter to pray alongside me. Not be second class citizens. They pray together at Haj, why can’t they pray together in the mosques of the world?”

“This is not a gay mosque. But I will not turn anyone away based on race or sexual orientation, he said

If true then I support him.
Re: South-africa To Shut Down Gay Friendly Mosque. by gabriel212: 2:27pm On Sep 26, 2014
It is not a matter of supporting. but there are some things WOMEN can not do in Islamic line of worship like leading prayers, preaching. and when ever any person is going against the doctrine, the Islam body have right to call the person to order.
All religion has it own mode of service whose gender equality/rule of law can not be use to define it eligibility
Re: South-africa To Shut Down Gay Friendly Mosque. by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 26, 2014
South africans should stop being cowards and say the truth. They are shutting it down out of fear of attaks from islamic terrorists.

1 Like

Re: South-africa To Shut Down Gay Friendly Mosque. by 2cato: 3:54pm On Sep 26, 2014
Finaly they have enterd south africa with their religeon.
My prediction.
If they are not driven out and destroy in 5years time they will start asserting their right by throwing bombs every in protest over nothing.
Re: South-africa To Shut Down Gay Friendly Mosque. by Nobody: 4:47pm On Sep 26, 2014
2cato: Finaly they have enterd south africa with their religeon.
My prediction.
If they are not driven out and destroy in 5years time they will start asserting their right by throwing bombs every in protest over nothing.
I pity Your life
Muslims have been in S/A for decades
Re: South-africa To Shut Down Gay Friendly Mosque. by gabriel212: 4:58pm On Sep 26, 2014
2cato: Finaly they have enterd south africa with their religeon.
My prediction.
Muslim had been existing in South Africa for many years!

1 Like

Re: South-africa To Shut Down Gay Friendly Mosque. by beejaay: 5:05pm On Sep 26, 2014
gabriel212: It is not a matter of supporting. but there are some things WOMEN can not do in Islamic line of worship like leading prayers, preaching. and when ever any person is going against the doctrine, the Islam body have right to call the person to order.
All religion has it own mode of service whose gender equality/rule of law can not be use to define it eligibility

mumu hw did all religions havee their own mode of service how come mode of service of sunni, shia, alawi, jafariyah and sufi differs?? tell me olodo like you..how come their is no unity in service amongst these different groups??

(1) (Reply)

Aftermath Of Electoral Loss, Omisore Re-igniting Fresh Ife/modakeke Crisis / Ajimobi Booed In Oyo By Oyo Today · October 17, 2014 / Majek Fashek: “I Am Going Into Politics In 2015"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.